The GAS Christmas Bash '07 - A Few Pics Finallly !!!

Scott F.

Hiya Guys,

Just thought I'd better get this date out there so you all can mark it on your calendars. As it stands right now I'm planning on hosting our annual gathering on Saturday December 15th. As usual, it will start around 2pm and go until everybody either runs out of juice or passes out. So if you can't make it until after 6 or 7pm, no worries, we'll still be going strong.

This year we could see even more people than last year. At John Blaine's memorial service today (which was quite nice BTW), it looks like we may be picking up quite a few more members.

As the days and weeks go on, I'll post more about the event so stay tuned to this thread.

edit - added the update number to the thread title
« Last Edit: 22 Dec 2007, 09:38 pm by Scott F. »

mark@marktwain

Re: The GAS Christmas Bash '07
« Reply #1 on: 28 Oct 2007, 04:09 pm »
I'm there ole buddy. I've got dibs on the futon in the redrum with the altecs.  aa I can't wait to hear em!

Mark

Lyndon

« Reply #2 on: 28 Oct 2007, 05:13 pm »
 :cry:
Scott,
As usual, no go for me.  I fly into Lambert on Friday night, the 21st, and fly back out on New Year's Day.
It seems I can never plan my return home trips to coincide with what you guys are doing.  Maybe next summer...but with my Bike Friday purchase, I hope to be along the Rhine, or up in Sweden at that time.
My actual bike is John Deere green, and I have the drop bars and a Brooks Champion sprung saddle, but otherwise...

Scott F.

« Reply #3 on: 28 Oct 2007, 06:06 pm »
Mark, with some luck I'll have the crossovers for the Altec's finished by then. Also, I should have the new cabinets for the OB Lowthers finished too. Consider the Futon spoken for  :green:

Hey Lyndon, if you are in town over the Christmas break, give me a shout. I usually take off the last two weeks of the year. I'd be happy to have you come by. Oh and if you are going to biking across the countryside in the EU, take a look at my great friend Geoff Husband's site. He runs a bike tour of the Britteny region of France based in Plelauff and Gouarec.
Breton Bike Tours

Oh, and if you don't want to bike the countryside, Geoff has vintage sports cars for hire.
Classic Sports Car Holidays

I've been trying to convince him that he needs to hire out Vespa's too. That would be a cool, slow motion, way to take in Frances countryside.

Geoff and Kate are some of the nicest people you'd ever hope to meet. I only wish we lived closer to each other. Not to mention, Geoff is an avid audiophile too (he writes for TNT-Audio, my old haunt). One of these years in the not too distant future, we'll be making the trip over to spend some time with them.

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #4 on: 30 Oct 2007, 05:10 pm »
The 15th looks good for me Scott.  :thumb:
By then, I'll have watched your Pink Floyd CD.  :lol:

Bob

Blackmore

« Reply #5 on: 30 Oct 2007, 06:05 pm »
I'll be there.  Let me know if I need to bring anything. Maybe we could mod. my c-j MV-52 after a couple scotches?????  :nono:

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #6 on: 30 Oct 2007, 06:08 pm »
...  ah, the smell of smoldering insulation mixed with Scotch.   :wine:

I'll be there Scott.  Probably tell Albert and Grant. 

Also, since you're kind enough to host this nuttiness again this year, I'd be happy to pitch in for eats, drink, etc. to help defray the cost.  Just let me know.

Bryan

jedi35

« Reply #7 on: 9 Nov 2007, 08:38 am »
Thanks for the date, Scott. Even if I have a rehearsal or concert, I'll come on out before or afterwards.

Adrian
« Last Edit: 9 Nov 2007, 07:33 pm by jedi35 »

electricbear

« Reply #8 on: 9 Nov 2007, 02:30 pm »
I'll be along after work. I'll probably get there about 5.45pm. Scott let me know if I can throw you a few $$$ towards the costs.
Thanks

Scott F.

« Reply #9 on: 25 Nov 2007, 05:01 pm »
Hiiya guys,

Sorry, I've been AWOL for a while. We've gotten extremely busy at work and around the old homestead but........ I haven't forgotten about our Christmas Bash. This year there really won't be much new gear but I do have a couple of the rooms set up slightly different. Heres the way the rooms will look this year.

Grape Room
Revelation Audio Vega's (AKA as the Odyssey Audio Epiphany's)
Factory Modified JoLida 102B (PP EL84)
Upsampled AH! Njoe Tjoeb

Redrum
Altec A7's (rehoused)
Handmade Audio 2A3 Deluxe SET
Modified Korato KVP10 dual Mono pre
Bolder modified Squeezebox
Arcam 8se
Audio Note TT-1 w/Arm-1 and either the IQ1 or the Dynavector 20XH cart
...I haven't decided if I'll use the Korato integrated phono stage or the Slee Reflex Era Gold as the phono stage

Blue Room
Open Baffle Lowther PM2A's with the 15" Goodman's as subs
Welborne DRD 300B's driving the PM2A's and the AKSA 55N+ driving the Goodman's
Pioneer SF-850 active crossover driving both amps
Modified Korato KVP 20 preamp
Squeezebox, Bolder Statement mods with the Ultimate MkIV power supply
Bolder Modified Burson Buffer
Opera LP-5 with the DV-507 arm and the Cartridge Man's Music Maker cart
Slee Jazz Club phono stage
Sony 595 SACD player with the MHDT Paradesia DAC

Home Theatre
Aperion Audio speakers, 633T (LR), 634 (C), 632 (RR,LR) DIY Shiva sub
Arcam AVR-100 HT amp
Sony 3100es DVD/SACD
Oppo 971 DVD/DVDA
DTV HR-720
Mits 62628 HDTV

Headphone Room - Sources - TBD
Amps
Yamamoto HA-02
Little Dot
Slee Solo

Cans
Audio Technica W-1000
Grado SR80's
Grado SR60's

The biggest change you'll see this year is in the Home Theatre room. It's pretty drastic. Not sure we'll be completely done with the room when the party happens but it's pretty cool as it sits.

As usual, with a gathering this big, this won't be the best opportunity to do much (if any) critical listening. Equipment swapping could be difficult at best so just plan on coming and enjoying the company and listening to some good music. I still haven't thought much about food yet but is sounds like we're leaning towards a Laur-B-Q. As usual, I'll have several scotches and whiskeys to sample. If you are a beer drinker, be sure to bring your favorite flavor of suds.

As always, bring some of your favorite music, especially new stuff that you can turn us all on to. For those with a SB, bring it in FLAC format, that way you can hear it on easily on all the systems. For those doing CD's, I'll have a CD player in each of the rooms. And of course, vinyl is always welcome.

If somebody wanted to bring an extra SB, we could use it in the Grape Room. After that, I'm not sure we need much else. A few days before, I'll be posting directions to the house for those that need it.

Be sure to mark your calendar for December 15th!
« Last Edit: 25 Nov 2007, 11:23 pm by Scott F. »

bpape

• Industry Participant
« Reply #10 on: 25 Nov 2007, 05:10 pm »
Hey Scott.

I'll try to remember to bring my SB.  I have Wayne's latest statement modded unit.  Am trying to work on a PS with the new Aksa pre-regulator in it to play with. 

As I said before, I'll be happy to bring any food you want to help defray the cost.

Bryan

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #11 on: 25 Nov 2007, 06:47 pm »
Hey Scott,
Would you be interested in having a pair of my Augies for a few weeks?  aa
I thought they might be a good drop in for the Goodmans.

I've got a pair of the 15" "Performance Grade" Augies in baffles, or a pair of the 15" "Sterling Grade" Augie's in baffles (see my avatar).
The Performance grades specs are available here:
http://hawthorneaudio.com/drivers.htm (almost halfway down the page)
The specs for the 15" Sterling Augies are not available since they aren't being sold yet. But they're 8ohm, so they'd match impedance wise. Baffles are 21" (IIRC) square hard Maple.

Let me know Scott  :thumb:

Bob

Scott F.

« Reply #12 on: 25 Nov 2007, 11:08 pm »
Hey guys, I forgot to mention we've got a little something special cooking. Looks like we might have a musical treat from Adrian and Mark. I'm not sure what they'll be putting together either as a duo or solo but I'm sure it will be awesome  :thumb: Should be fun and something just a bit different for this years celebration.

Bryan, sure...bring over your SB and power supply. We'll definitely be able to use it.

Bob, thanks for the offer of the Augie's. Maybe we can give them a workout after the first of the year  :green:

Oh, I talked to Mark and it sounds like we'll have a headphone table set up this year too. I've updated the gear page to reflect the cans and amps we'll have.

mark@marktwain

« Reply #13 on: 26 Nov 2007, 09:38 pm »
Hey Scott ole buddy,

Since I'm gonna crash at your place Saturday night I was wondering watcha have going on Sunday? Do ya have time to measure my 15" EV Wolverine's for me? Ifin ya do I'll bring em along.

Hey, I also just joined the Lowther club!  8) I picked up a pair of PM2C's last week, used of course. I'd never be able to afford a new pair. I should have them in another week of so. Do you want me to bring em along also? Maybe we could slap em in the OB's and give em a try.

I'm really lookin foward to seeing everyone again.

Mark

Scott F.

« Reply #14 on: 27 Nov 2007, 03:37 am »
Hiya Mark,

Sure, bring the Wolverines and we can measure 'em. Bring the PM2C's too just in case we have time to mess with them. Not sure what the boss has planned for me on Sunday (I rarely do until Sunday morning).

jcrane

« Reply #15 on: 1 Dec 2007, 07:30 am »
Didn't think I was going to make it this year but it looks like the parents are not going to be here that weekend now so I am in. I work until three and then plan on heading out.
Looking forward to it.

Hope to see everyone there.

jamie

electricbear

« Reply #16 on: 1 Dec 2007, 04:21 pm »
Jamie, you're still alive! I thought you had fallen off the face of the planet.  :lol:

Scott F.

« Reply #17 on: 1 Dec 2007, 06:16 pm »
Jamie, glad you get to make it  :thumb:

The Performance
I've got a little more information on our live music performance for this years Bash. Although we thought Mark and Adrian might be able to do a few numbers together, it looks like their practice and performance schedules won't allow them any time for them to practice together. So, after talking to Mark, it sounds like Mark and Lisa are going to do a few unaccompanied duets for trumpet. Mark said they were going to bring and assortment of trumpets, cornets and flugelhorns so we can all hear the differences in the brass instruments. Though I haven't talked to Adrian (yet), I'm sure he's got a violin solo or two he's got in mind for us.

For the new members that aren't familiar with Adrian, Mark and Lisa, the three of them play for various Symphonies, Philharmonics and musical troupes around town. They are some of the best and most recognized classical musicians St Louis has to offer.

Any requests for our performers?

A request for Mark and Lisa from me would be some Baroque if you have it in your repertoire. No need to learn anything new, just something that you are intimate with. BTW Mark, I was only kidding about Flight of the Bumble Bee in two part harmony  :lol:

The Menu
OK, looks like we've got a menu for the days event. We've decided to do (mostly) Italian for dinner. Laura is going to whip up a bunch of Ziti. It would be great if it were baked but that will be way too difficult so what she'll do for us is make a big pot of it and serve it out of a crock or two. We'll also have 'dollar' sandwiches and salads (Italian and plain). As an extra treat, the day before I'll make a run down to The Hill and pick up some Cannoli's for desert. Of course we'll have plenty of finger foods to munch on during the day like veggie trays, chili cheese dip, nachos and salsa.

As usual, bring your favorite beverage (read=beer or wine). I'll have an assortment of whiskeys, scotches and other spirits. With the crowd expected, somebody (or two) should probably bring a big cooler with some ice to keep the beer cold unless we have a cool day and we let mother nature do the duty.

The List
Ok, next I need to start a list of people that will be here so we can get a good idea of how much food to make. I'll start with those who I know for sure are coming (in no particular order). Please be sure to post if you are going to make it if your name isn't on the list.

Mark Blackmore
Lisa Blackmore
Adrian
Steve K.
Mark G. (marktwain)
Bob (in StL)
Bryan
Albert?
Grant
Tim (electricbear)
Jamie
Sturgus
Larry
Rich?
Ken?
Alan
Chris (MerRev)
Joe & Nicky (ZephyrApprentice)
Deadfish
Alex
Alan

Thats it for now. I'll post more updates (maps, parking, contact numbers, etc) as we get closer to the event.

BE SURE TO POST IF YOU ARE GOING TO MAKE IT!
« Last Edit: 12 Dec 2007, 09:26 pm by Scott F. »

bpape

• Industry Participant
Re: The GAS Christmas Bash '07 - Update #1
« Reply #18 on: 1 Dec 2007, 08:43 pm »
Grant is 99.999%.  Short of a family emergency, he'll be there.  Not sure about Albert yet - will get hold of him and see whats up.

Bryan

steve k

Re: The GAS Christmas Bash '07 - Update #1
« Reply #19 on: 1 Dec 2007, 08:49 pm »
Hey Scott,
Any chance you can get an invite to Dennis Bergin through Adrian? I know he was wanting to get together with us.
s.