Alan Maher's Power Enhancer

alanmaher

• Alan Maher designs
    • Alan Maher designs
Re: Alan Maher's Power Enhancer
« Reply #100 on: 15 Nov 2007, 10:05 pm »
Frequency extension.  The PE II extends the bandwidth from 60 Hz to 1.5 GHz.  The standard PE bandwidth is 60 Hz to 75 MHz.

Alan Maher

slwiser

« Reply #101 on: 15 Nov 2007, 10:26 pm »

I have a Brick (some A/C fitering) feeding A/C into my Computer and desktop setup which is a Dell XPS 210 computer on one plugged circuit with a Lavry DA10 and Yamaoto HA-02 into another.

I also have a ZeroSurge unit feeding A/C to my easy chair setup which is a micro-ZOTL headphone amp, TC-7510 DAC and a Squeezebox.

Both units are dead quite now.  What benefit would you expect each to get from the PE or another unit?

alanmaher

• Alan Maher designs
    • Alan Maher designs
« Last Edit: 16 Nov 2007, 01:36 am by alanmaher »

miklorsmith

« Reply #103 on: 15 Nov 2007, 11:12 pm »
I think this has tipped into "Industry Ads".

slwiser

« Reply #104 on: 16 Nov 2007, 12:55 am »
After asking my question I searched on the PE to see where I would see the effects.  It apparently is above 150khz.  Both the Brick and ZeroSurge provides about -50dB starting at 150kHz (-38 dB at 100kHz with unlimited surge capacity).  What is the level that the PEs produce and are they communicative in series; i.e., (-50 dB at 150khz from a Brick) plus (-X dB at 150 khz from the PE) produces a result of what exactly?

Thanks

brj

« Reply #105 on: 16 Nov 2007, 12:59 am »
I tend to agree that this thread has definitely been flirting with topics that, while admittedly related, may be better addressed in other circles, including Industry Ads, Industry Talk, The Lab, and Audio Central.  I don't have the inclination to split this thread into multiple parts yet, but I would please encourage participants to bend their focus more toward user review specific discussion of the specified component.  People looking for info on how the unit sounds now have 16 pages to sift through with maybe 2 pages worth of info that actually discusses user impressions of its sonic impact on their systems.

Occam

« Reply #106 on: 16 Nov 2007, 01:56 am »
slwiser

PE: -24db @ 60 Hz - 75 MHz

PE II: -24db @ 60 Hz
         -50db @ 120 KHz - 1.5 GHz

Dang.... the electric bills associated with 24db attenuation at 60 Hz seem like a rather high price to pay :lol:
I assume that was a mis-type with a missing k???

Your (even corrected) data is not very illuminating without knowing the source impedance, whether you're testing normal or common mode attenuation, and the nature of the load (reactive and resistive components) of the test conditions. Would you elaborate as to the test conditions, so your data actually has some meaning? What instruments did you use for the measurements?

slwiser

« Reply #107 on: 16 Nov 2007, 02:46 am »
Since I have such good filtering above 150 khz that is the reason I was interested since I saw that the PE had some reduction in the audio range.  So it is not 24 dB at 60 hz but instead 60khz, right?
« Last Edit: 18 Nov 2007, 03:32 am by slwiser »

art

• Industry Participant
    • Analog Research-Technology
« Reply #108 on: 16 Nov 2007, 03:41 am »
slwiser

PE: -24db @ 60 Hz - 75 MHz

PE II: -24db @ 60 Hz
         -50db @ 120 KHz - 1.5 GHz

Dang.... the electric bills associated with 24db attenuation at 60 Hz seem like a rather high price to pay :lol:
I assume that was a mis-type with a missing k???

Your (even corrected) data is not very illuminating without knowing the source impedance, whether you're testing normal or common mode attenuation, and the nature of the load (reactive and resistive components) of the test conditions. Would you elaborate as to the test conditions, so your data actually has some meaning? What instruments did you use for the measurements?

Well, go ahead and hate me, but I agree with everything that Occam has posted. Data of this sort, without specified load and source impedance, as well as differential or common-mode is......well, a load of codswallop.

Sorry old chap.

Actually, the thought of 24 dB of attenuation @ 60 Hz is really funny. Especially from such a small gizmo.

Pat

HumanMedia

« Reply #109 on: 18 Nov 2007, 02:31 am »
Since the Power Enhancer plugs straight into the socket, it can be problematic plugging it in, if the socket is right in the corner, blocked by furniture or otherwise restricted.

A good solution is to use a standard power cord into the socket, with a "PC burn-in adaptor", and plug the PE into that.

http://www.vhaudio.com/acplugadapters.html

Hope this helps someone.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #110 on: 18 Nov 2007, 02:49 am »
seems something like this would be a lot easier & cheaper:

http://www.directron.com/powerstrip.html

doug s.

Since the Power Enhancer plugs straight into the socket, it can be problematic plugging it in, if the socket is right in the corner, blocked by furniture or otherwise restricted.

A good solution is to use a standard power cord into the socket, with a "PC burn-in adaptor", and plug the PE into that.

http://www.vhaudio.com/acplugadapters.html

Hope this helps someone.

alanmaher

• Alan Maher designs
    • Alan Maher designs
« Reply #111 on: 18 Nov 2007, 10:36 pm »

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #112 on: 18 Nov 2007, 11:45 pm »
three wendors on the amazon site offer these for only $1.44...

doug s.

WOW,,, $2.59 each. They just don't come any cheaper that this, about 1/2 less than I paid. :o Nice find Alan.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

toes

« Reply #113 on: 30 Nov 2007, 06:33 am »
Alan, my two Power Enhancers have been in my audio only stereo system for 6 days now.  I'm so impressed with the overall naturalness, wide soundstage and relaxing vocal ease that I went ahead and hardwired one Power Enhancer to the IEC inside my Cambridge Audio 840C CD player(making sure neutral and hot were wire correctly).  Getting to the IEC was a pain but there is plenty room inside this CD player to accommodate the Power Enhancer enclosure.
Your Power Enhancers need more on and offline public press.  I will do my part by having my close audio buddy, Mike, over for a listen tomorrow and will probably let him borrow the other Power Enhancer for a week.  Best wishes on your new company.

denjo

« Reply #114 on: 30 Nov 2007, 07:18 am »
I'm so impressed with the overall naturalness, wide soundstage and relaxing vocal ease that I went ahead and hardwired one Power Enhancer to the IEC inside my Cambridge Audio 840C CD player(making sure neutral and hot were wire correctly). 

Now that sounds like an excellent idea!! I wonder if it can be installed inside the amplifier/preamplifier as well? If it can, it would be a neat solution that would save some real estate space - and allow more outlets to be used for other things!

Best Regards
Dennis

JenMaher

• Alan Maher Designs
    • Alan Maher Designs
« Reply #115 on: 30 Nov 2007, 07:51 am »
toes thank-you for your comments.  Adding the PE inside components is a service Alan provides in his commercial installs as part of his circuit tuning application (The Washer).

Dennis your suggestion is a little different, I don't know if I would trust the install inside a power amplifier.  Amps get pretty hot and I would worry about melting the ABS wall wart case.  We do not recommend internal amplifier installs.  Other tweaking can be used inside amps to enhance performance, a good example is adding a pair of Shakti On-Lines to the amps primary and secondary wiring.  A Shakti Stone centered over the transformer is also a very good suggestion.  We use Stones internal to damp large transformer and always have had good success.  Internal Stone installations definitely sound better than placing the Stone on the top of the case.  We use at least one per component in our system.  Another suggestion would be to wrap the outer band of a toridial transformer with a single layer of TI Shield and ground the Shielding to the iec inlet.  We used this tweak inside our old Innersound ESL300 amplifier and had excellent results, the shielding literally transformed the entire spectrum of the amps signature.

Huck

« Reply #116 on: 3 Dec 2007, 10:48 pm »
Just wondering if the PE's need to be "de-energized" when moving from one place (outlet) to the next?. Thanks, Huck

Huck

« Reply #117 on: 3 Dec 2007, 11:34 pm »
Just wondering if the PE's need to be "de-energized" when moving from one place (outlet) to the next?. Thanks, Huck

Supposidly, yes but only as a safety precaution as the capactors store a charge that could cause a shock. I don't bother discharging them and I haven't had any problems but I'm also not going out of my way to touch both pins.  :lol: If it's a concern, simply plug them into an unplugged power strip that has a lighted on/off switch being left on. The bulb will discharge anything there.

Cheers,
Robin

I get the bit about not touching the prongs for safety sake,but I was wondering about electrically speaking! Thanks, Huck

JenMaher

• Alan Maher Designs
    • Alan Maher Designs
« Reply #118 on: 3 Dec 2007, 11:40 pm »
Removing the charge is a safety issue and NOT an electrical problem.  The charge is not large enough to cause any problems.

art

• Industry Participant
    • Analog Research-Technology
Go ahead, and hate me some more.........
« Reply #119 on: 4 Dec 2007, 07:52 pm »
snip........

Some PLC manufactures roll capacitors in ERS, this is considered a big no no, all that does is roll off the natural ringing frequency of the capacitor.  It is the ringing frequency that creates the crossover effect to naturally filter out noise in that particular frequency band.  The same is true when transformers are wrapped and the phase is shifted by increased magnetic fields.  Damping the frequency shifts the operational band of the part.  All of these components are designed to work within a certain parameter, changing the frequency renders the part useless for it's original intention.  The choke effect creates harmonic notches (peak and dip odd harmonic frequencies) all over the place and it's very difficult to bring the harmonic balance back.  Basically once the frequency is shifted it's gone forever, all we can do is install tweaks as a band-aid and hope for the best.  The PE can help by removing the stray inductance created by these magnetic products.  As soon as the choke effect/inductance is removed the attached component will respond more efficiently.  The amount of PE's required will depend on the level of damage that has been done to the odd harmonic frequencies.

Your products may well live up to the expectation of your customers: I do not mean to demean them. However, the explanation that you give reads like utter nonsense. It is this kind of marketing approach that makes life more difficult for the, shall I say, "rational" manufacturers out there. We tend to get lumped into the same category as you.

Which, a great deal are not.

Regards, best wishes, etc., etc.,
Pat