Alan Maher's Power Enhancer

alanmaher

• Alan Maher designs
    • Alan Maher designs
Re: Alan Maher's Power Enhancer
« Reply #160 on: 29 Dec 2007, 10:35 pm »
I am presently taking pre-orders for the PE IV.  We are trying to fill the pre-orders early to generate a little internet buzz before the release date.  I currently have enough parts in stock to send out a few filters if anyone is interested.  Our next part order is not expected to arrive until the second week of January 08'.

The official release date is Jan 20. 
Price: $235

Jim N.

• Who you callin' an audiophile?????
« Reply #161 on: 31 Dec 2007, 04:56 am »
I ordered a PE IV too. We'll see just how good they are!

dem626

« Reply #162 on: 1 Jan 2008, 05:10 pm »
I have a PE II in the lower half of the receptacle my system is plugged into.  If I were to buy another PE, which one should I get and how should I use it?

Doug

marvda1

• freelance reviewer: The Sound Advocate
« Reply #163 on: 1 Jan 2008, 05:33 pm »
with the new pe's coming out, anyone who wants to unload a pe or pe II, send me a pm. :D

carusoracer

« Reply #164 on: 2 Jan 2008, 02:55 pm »
with the new pe's coming out, anyone who wants to unload a pe or pe II, send me a pm. :D

Ditto in line after Marvda...

alanmaher

• Alan Maher designs
    • Alan Maher designs
« Reply #165 on: 2 Jan 2008, 07:11 pm »
Doug,

How does your system sound at present?  Do you need more dynamics or midrange warmth?

alanmaher

• Alan Maher designs
    • Alan Maher designs
« Reply #166 on: 2 Jan 2008, 07:12 pm »
Marv,

The new PE's are enhanced by the old PE's....if you need more let me know while I have the parts in stock.  Don't wait for used filters to come to market, I have been designing audiophile power products and cords under AM designs and Perfect Cable since 98'.  In all that time I have only seen one conditioner come up for resale, and that was only because the client ordered a larger model.  As for the PE, I have hand built and sold over 400 since July 07', out of all that, we have only had 5 filters returned under the 30 day policy.  Best of luck if you are shopping in the used market, but if you need a new one I have those available right now.  :D

dem626

« Reply #167 on: 2 Jan 2008, 11:19 pm »
Alan,

Thanks for your reply.  With regards to your question:

How does your system sound at present?  Do you need more dynamics or midrange warmth?

I'd say I'm looking for more dynamics (than midrange warmth) if I understand your question,  but also maybe some filtering for my video.

Thanks,
Doug

alanmaher

• Alan Maher designs
    • Alan Maher designs
« Reply #168 on: 2 Jan 2008, 11:38 pm »
Doug

Pick up one or two standard PE's.

jmichael

« Reply #169 on: 3 Jan 2008, 09:02 pm »
Alan,

What about the PE III's?

I'd like a PE IV but since you don't recommend them, I'll listen to you on that one  :roll:, for someone with other types of Power Conditioners.

I would like more midrange warmth and dynamics in my system.

I already notice the change in my audio for the better.

With regard to the video side, I had to turn the brightness & contrast controls down on my Panasonic Plasma after a few days of install because of the brightness increase.

The colors got better after the PS Audio equipment install and the contrast increased after the PE & PE II installs respectively.
« Last Edit: 10 Jan 2008, 11:32 pm by jmichael »

alanmaher

• Alan Maher designs
    • Alan Maher designs
« Reply #170 on: 4 Jan 2008, 11:32 am »
Who doesn't recommend the PE IV???  The PE IV depends on your current set up, as do the other models.  It is always difficult to predict the outcome when another manufacture filtering is involved.  It is very easy to market the standard PE as a multi-purpose filter because most PLC designs roll off the top end, most large gauge power cords roll off the top end, and most unbalanced circuits are jacked up with too much inductance because they are not driven to spec.  With that said, the PE is able to cut through the magnetic build up and thin out the sound to provide better top and bottom extension. 

The PE III is designed to offer the opposite effect.  Many have complained that the PE leans one or two notches to the bright side for their system, and I agree in some applications.  The PE III provides a warmer tube like tonal balance compared to the razor sharp sound of the standard PE.  I actually prefer mixing both models because each provides different strengths that are able to be heard when used together.  The standard PE offers razor tight bass, whereas, the PE III offers a more rounded bass quality.  When combined you experience both traits instead of being over powered by the one.  The same can be said for the mids and highs. 

The PE IV builds off the original design for compatibility and adds additional stages in order to extract detail within the inner detail.  Midrange textures are what strike me the most when I install the PE IV.  The IV is enhanced by the standard PE, II, and III. 

Placement of the PE IV plays a more critical role in order to balance out the harmonic signatures of each filter design.  The problem that I have is that I can not predict placement.  Placement depends on system interaction, musical preference, circuit wiring, and circuit interaction.  As mentioned many times in the past, the PE system provides the user a valuable tool in circuit tuning, but the user must take the time to experiment because every single installation is different from the other.  We are only able to provides tips, please do not expect our tips to be 100% on the money, every circuit is different.  When I do commercial installs I spend anywhere from 1 week to 3 weeks fine tuning each PE install until I get it right...after it's right the sky is the limits, but before it can be a royal pain in the ***.

Warmth will definitely be provided by the PE III.

Contrast and brightness change for the plasma is normal.  The fact that you turned those levels down is a great thing.  You are now driving the plasma less to achieve the same picture quality.  The same will be said you your fridge if you ever decide to try a PE in that application, the fridge will be colder at warmer settings, same for air conditioners, etc....welcome to the world of power factor correction.  Use DVE to re-calibrate the tv around day 5 after PE install.  The ramp pattern is best to calibrate contrast clipping.  Compare the picture without the PS Audio equipment, you might be surprised.  Our Studio Ref Jr. does some wonderful things for plasma displays...it is the best cable (to date) that I have used on my Pioneer plasma...highly recommended.  The new mini Reference II (coming in the spring) is also very impressive for plasma filtering.

Hope this helps............

jmichael

« Reply #171 on: 5 Jan 2008, 01:03 am »
Well, I definitely don't get any excessive irritating brightness when using the standard PE in my audio system. Unless, I can use/benefit a PE IV, I will stick to ordering more PE's. How many PE II's are left in stock if any or is my one enough?

I moved one of the PE's into my bedroom for headphone listening. Now, I'm using just one PE and PE II respectively in my main A/V system.

I don't want to remove my PS Audio Duet or Quintet because I originally purchased them for the surge protection aspect.

alanmaher

• Alan Maher designs
    • Alan Maher designs
« Reply #172 on: 5 Jan 2008, 09:58 am »
I have a couple PE II's available.

Either the PE or PE IV will work in your system, it will depend on your system needs.  Adding the PE IV will bring out more midrange detail and texture.  I expect a review to be posted today on AA from my beta tester about the differences between the PE IV and PE IV Signature. 

Note:  The Signature version is a possible option that might be available if I have enough of interest.  The Signature was really designed to be a test module to compare the new RFI/EMI drainage filter with a PE in concert...just so happened I was playing with the PE IV design at the time....the Signature was never intended for release....I was just testing the interaction between the two concepts to lay the ground work for the Reference power strip.

From a design and filtering standpoint, I would prefer to arrive at a Signature version the way it was originally intended to be achieved, by adding a standard PE IV to a mini Reference strip (first receptacle) and filtering 3 components directly instead of in parallel....this design places the PE IV in series with 3 components for superior filtering...no more guess work about where to place the filter for best audio and video. 

Adding a PE, PE II, and PE III at the wall in combination takes the concept up multiple levels...
« Last Edit: 5 Jan 2008, 10:25 am by alanmaher »

alanmaher

• Alan Maher designs
    • Alan Maher designs
« Reply #173 on: 5 Jan 2008, 10:03 am »
Advanced copy:

First Look/Listen to Alan Maher Designs PE-IV

A little over a month ago I received a PE-IV (Power Enhancer version IV) from Alan Maher to evaluate.   Since then I have had the chance to experiment within my main A/V setup two versions of the new PE-IV.  As most of you already know, I have six PE, one PE-II, one PE-III and ten Hammond 193L chokes in my main A/V Proceed system.  That is a lot of parallel filtering on one dedicated 20amp line!   Alan has been gently asking me for my impressions of the PE-IV.   Because I have been so busy with work, other projects, and family over the holiday season I have been vague at best with my impressions of the PE-IV.   The last week and a half I have logged some serious critical listening time, with both versions of the new PE-IV.   

The following is a basic comparison versus the standard PE in my main system listening to music.  For listening evaluations I used mainly four pieces of software, The Very Best of Diana Krall CD and DVD, Chesky’s Critical Listening CD and Diana Krall’s Christmas Songs CD.   All of my critical listening was done at night at varying volume levels.   Critical listening was done with the PE-IV after it was in my system for three weeks.  The PE-IV Signature was in the system for a week before I sat down to really take a listen.   Here are my impressions after approx. 20 logged listening hours with the two different PE-IVs:

PE-IV   (standard version): The PE-IV looks identical to the PE.  Same two pronged wall wart case.  Adding the PE-IV to the system anywhere from at the components to the end of the five duplex wired dedicated line yielded the same results.   What the PE-IV does to the overall sonic presentation is a bit hard to explain.  Anyone that uses a PE has probably experienced a relaxing of the music and lowered noise floor.  With the overall presentation sounding or feeling more organic, this all helps the system sound a bit more musical.  The PE-IV does the same thing as the PE except the midband frequencies are more textured and meatier/thicker.  When I refer to texture, I mean more depth and detail, especially with vocals.  This texture I refer to was more prominent with female vocals then male vocals.  Although even with Chesky’s voice there was added thickness, detail and chest.  With female vocals they were also a bit more lush and full.  What I found interesting is that the overall presentation did not get warmer, only in the midrange frequency band.    The added texture and meat in the vocals had me literally spell bound with Diana Krall’s voice.  Even my wife (the non-audiophile) commented many times in the last week on how luring and sexy Diana Krall’s voice was.   Both my wife and I have been listening to Diana Krall for years, but have never enjoyed listening to her as we do now.  It seemed liked most of the midband frequencies sounded a bit more delicate with overall improved PRAT, and more involving.  You know, when you are more into the music, foot tapping, head moving and feel more energetic kind of thing.   Hmmm I wonder what adding more of these PE-IV would do???? :o)

PE-IV Signature:  Alan has been experimenting with different shielding schemes.  So you’ve probably guessed it, this version is a PE-IV with an undisclosed shielding scheme Alan has been working on.  This wall wart does have a ground pin.    Oh man I liked this filter.  The PE-IV Signature filter has the same effect on my system as the PE-IV except double the effect!  Note, when evaluating the PE-IV Signature, I did not have the PE-IV in my system.  My understanding is that the PE-IV Signature is not for everyone.  I did not know that some homes especially in the East Coast of the US did not have copper ground wiring.  As I understand it, the Signature version will only benefit homes wired with 14ga. or thicker Copper grounds.    Since I have not paid Alan for these filters yet, I asked how much more is the Signature version, he said $30.

In Summary, IMHO, the PE-IV is a nice upgrade to the PE.  I think the PE-IV Signature is much better than the PE.  I have not asked Alan when he is actually going to make the PE-IV available for sale, or how much they will be.   I recommend contacting Alan regarding which version PE-IV (or PE-IV Signature) is best for you.  So, for those of you current PE owners that are curious as to what this new PE-IV does, here you have it… at least in my system.   

Alan Maher’s contact info:

Web Site:  www.alanmaherdesigns.com
Email: alanpmaher@alanmaherdesigns.com and audionutge@yahoo.com

Best Regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: 5 Jan 2008, 10:13 am by alanmaher »

jmichael

« Reply #174 on: 6 Jan 2008, 07:50 pm »
Nice review but I'm a little confused.   :?

Was the testing of the PE IV & PE IV Signature done with or without the other PE Modules plugged into the system?

I'm going to assume that they were.   :scratch:

alanmaher

• Alan Maher designs
    • Alan Maher designs
« Reply #175 on: 6 Jan 2008, 09:44 pm »
I would assume with the PE installed knowing him. 

One thing I would like to point out....Chris does not own a PE III....he has a custom PE IV wired with 14K.  The sound of that filter vs. the III is totally different.  The III provides a much warmer balance that can be easily compared to a 300B tube amp sound quality.  His gold PE IV has a brighter sound which is why the warmth of the shielded version sounds better to him, but if he would install a III like I have asked him many times over he would not require the shielded option.

The perfect PE system should have one of each model installed.

IronLion

« Reply #176 on: 6 Jan 2008, 09:52 pm »
So, how would a PE III, the PE IV, and the PE IV Signature compare to one another? 

alanmaher

• Alan Maher designs
    • Alan Maher designs
« Reply #177 on: 7 Jan 2008, 11:01 am »
Well...nixing the idea of the Signature, because I don't want to build them....the III is best described as a 300B tube like sound quality.  The III (by itself) adds an enormous amount of bass and lower midrange information.  The III also provides delicacy and harmonic richness from the upper mids to the top octave.  The IV on the other hand builds off the PE, II, and III sound quality used in concert and extracts detail that is hidden within the detail.  The IV is not considered a warm or bright sounding filter...what the IV does best is take the highlighted information from the other 3 filters and adds foundation to enhance the texture of the highlighted information.  As I have mentioned before, the PE series is designed to be used together for best results.  Each filter performs a specific duty to clean up the line and extract information existing within the system.

alanmaher

• Alan Maher designs
    • Alan Maher designs
« Reply #178 on: 7 Jan 2008, 09:49 pm »
:D

Excellent description.  Give the filter a good 10 days to watch how it develops...after that, let it adjust and refine for about a total of 21 days, give or take a few....I think you'll enjoy turning up the volume again aa

The Studio Reference series does two things....one, it magnifies the PE presentation.  Two, the power cord series incorporates our PRT resonate tuning technology.  PRT acts as a resonate isolation filter per component.  The Studio Reference series is a jaw dropping experience.  It was originally designed under the Perfect Cable line for upscale audiophile clients and recording studios back in 98'.  The idea behind the Studio Reference is very simple, reproduce the live event....and it does that very well.  It will not mask a poor component...it is more like a what you see is what you get kind of cable...it will not add warmth if it's not already built in to the recording or component.  The Studio Ref is a dynamics monster....it's kinda like the standard PE in that sense, except the Studio Reference fills in the gaps and provides a more complete picture....and the PRT effect componds with every treated component.  The SR will provide tuneful / razor tight bass, neutral mids (only reveals whats already part of the recording), top end extension (no roll off whatsoever), speed, and unbelievable dynamics.
« Last Edit: 8 Jan 2008, 08:18 am by alanmaher »

alanmaher

• Alan Maher designs
    • Alan Maher designs
« Reply #179 on: 8 Jan 2008, 08:03 am »
Robin,

How does the initial top end sound?  Adding a PE III on the rear of the BPT would add an enormous amount of midrange warmth and top end delicacy / harmonic richness.  The beauty of the III's top end is what makes the filter so special.  The III also helps flesh in acoustic bass.  The combination is killer when used with the standard PE....a must hear for any standard PE fan.