KAB-modified SL-1210: a British enthusiast's view

Marco1408

Re: KAB-modified SL-1210: a British enthusiast's view
« Reply #120 on: 9 Oct 2007, 12:06 am »
Nice one. Let us know how you get on when you get it. Have you decided what you're doing about a cartridge? I know you're still undecided about a step-up.

'Cos I know a nice, boxed, 103 Pro that needs a good home :wink:

Marco.

Marco1408

« Reply #121 on: 9 Oct 2007, 08:54 pm »
It seems to have gone all quiet... :(

Has no-one got any further thoughts on the titanium arm?

Marco.

ixlr8

« Reply #122 on: 9 Oct 2007, 11:34 pm »
We are just waiting for a British enthusiast's review of the KAB-modified SL-1210. :D

TheChairGuy

« Reply #124 on: 10 Oct 2007, 02:44 am »
Neat article - thanks  :thumb:

I noticed this, too....
Quote from: HiFi World
Well, the answers are easy. The SoundDeadSteel Isoplatmat was designed with Japanese DD platters in mind, the idea being to make a polymer sandwich from two steel discs (one of which is 1.6 times thicker than the other)

I only surmised it would work best with DD decks...but it seems it was made with them in mind  :)

Marco1408

« Reply #125 on: 10 Oct 2007, 05:22 pm »
Stand by, amigos, rumour has it (after speaking to Editor David Price) that Hi-Fi World are going to do a feature on my system, including of course, the KAB-modifed SL-1210 :thumb:

It probably won't happen until the end of the year, but I'll keep you posted - should be interesting...

Marco.

dmckean

« Reply #126 on: 11 Oct 2007, 03:44 am »
Nice Marco! In that case, maybe you'll acutually deserve that 20%. :wink:

Marco1408

« Reply #127 on: 11 Oct 2007, 06:12 am »
:icon_lol:

Yeah, but just in case anyone is under any illusions that I'm getting something from the sale of KAB 1200 mods, let me assure everyone that is not the case.

The feature should be interesting, though. I'm particularly curious what David will think of the modified arm, as it is currently something he feels is of dubious quality, quite wrongly in my opinion. However I fully understand his reasoning. I'm confident though that I can change his mind :wink:

Marco.

Marco1408

« Reply #128 on: 30 Oct 2007, 10:08 pm »
Okay guys, just a quick update regarding MC step-up transformers for the DL-103 Pro...

I've just taken delivery of an Auditorium 23 unit mentioned earlier by Larry, and have to say that it's absolutely superb and without doubt the best step-up transformer I've ever heard with the 103. More tomorrow when I've got a really good handle on its capabilities :)

Marco.

dmckean

« Reply #129 on: 31 Oct 2007, 02:48 am »
Okay guys, just a quick update regarding MC step-up transformers for the DL-103 Pro...

I've just taken delivery of an Auditorium 23 unit mentioned earlier by Larry, and have to say that it's absolutely superb and without doubt the best step-up transformer I've ever heard with the 103. More tomorrow when I've got a really good handle on its capabilities :)

Marco.

I'm looking forward to hearing your impressions. I'm thinking about a custom K&K lundahl LL9206 based transformer optimized for the Denon 103R after reading serveral reviews of the LL9206 transformers.  It would be in my price range too, $335 built to my specs.

I'm still waiting on my table, Kevin told me it's going to be another week before it ships. I've bought a ton new vinyl and I'm anxious to hear it.

Marco1408

« Reply #130 on: 31 Oct 2007, 11:45 am »
Dave,

Are you going for a 103R now instead of a 103 Pro? Why the change of heart? The Pro is unquestionably better, as I've got both of them.

I've no idea how good the K&K lundahl LL9206 unit is, as I haven't used one, but no matter how good it is it won't make a 103R sound better than a 103 Pro. The modifications carried out by Highphonic to the stylus assembly and generator in the Pro ensures that it is fundamentally superior to the 'R' version, where the only upgrade is the use of 6N copper internal wire.

If you want the best version of the DL-103, then that's either the Pro version or perhaps the Zu-modified one shown here:

http://www.vendur.no/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=439&osCsid=c1e7a128d63a7f5cdc93c8529c8bca71

I intend to add one of these to my collection shortly and will report on how it compares to the Pro.

As for the Auditorium 23 step-up transformer, it's totally awesome. I'll be writing a separate report on this later.

Marco.

dmckean

« Reply #131 on: 31 Oct 2007, 12:24 pm »
Hey Marco,

I just decided to buy the Denon 103R for now since I can afford it and then later when I have extra money buy something considerbly more expensive. Possibly the DL-103SA on Audiocubes if I end up liking the 103 sound. I have no experience with Moving Coils and would like to try some different carts as well as play with different ways to amplify them.

Marco1408

« Reply #132 on: 31 Oct 2007, 12:42 pm »
Dave, no worries :)

I wouldn't waste your money though on a 103SA, as internally it's identical to the 103R (compare the specs) apart from the outer body. All you're paying for is the 'Limited Edition' status, courtesy of the different body, and perhaps some fancy packaging.

Is the 103R cheaper in the States than it is in the UK? Here the 103R costs £190. The 103 Pro is 42,000 Yen, which is currently around £180. Of course, you have import duty and tax to pay with buying from Japan, unlike when buying a 103R locally. Perhaps that's why you consider the 103R to be more affordable.

Anyway, have fun playing and keep me posted with your findings!

Marco.

dmckean

« Reply #133 on: 31 Oct 2007, 01:53 pm »
Marco,

We don't pay import duties and taxes here in the states like you do. But you can find the 103R for as little as $240 shipped which is £115. The 103 Pro is $370 plus shipping which is £180. I still might go with the Pro also. I figure one of the nice features about the Techinics is the ability to have multiple cartridges on different headshells being able to switch between them in a couple minutes time.

Marco1408

« Reply #134 on: 31 Oct 2007, 02:32 pm »
Yep, you're right about being able to change cartridges quickly. That's precisely what I do. Arms with detachable headshells rule! :)

And the beauty is, apart from the Pro which tracks lower at 2.2g, the various 103s operate identically, so once they're set-up in the headshell it's plug and play within seconds :thumb:

$240 for a 103R? That's a major result. You lucky bugger!

You should definitely treat yourself to a 103 Pro at some point, as the extended high frequency response (55,000Hz, as opposed to 45,000Hz with the 103R) has a very significant impact on musical reproduction.

Marco.

dmckean

« Reply #135 on: 11 Nov 2007, 02:12 am »
My table showed up yesterday and so far it's sounding great. Still haven't got a SUT but the MC input on my phono stage is doing OK for now. I've played about 30 records so far and I can tell the cartridge is starting to break in and open up.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #136 on: 11 Nov 2007, 05:29 pm »
Are those the Isonoe feet on that one, too?  The whole package looks really great  :thumb:

John

Marco1408

« Reply #137 on: 11 Nov 2007, 06:44 pm »
Hey Dave,

Looking good, buddy :thumb:

It's nice to see another KAB-modified 1210/Denon DL-103R aficionado join the fold. How's it sounding, then?

I wouldn't have the PSU so near to the deck, dude, though... (Large magnetic field so near to the cartridge).

Marco.

dmckean

« Reply #138 on: 11 Nov 2007, 11:34 pm »
Hey Dave,

Looking good, buddy :thumb:

It's nice to see another KAB-modified 1210/Denon DL-103R aficionado join the fold. How's it sounding, then?

I wouldn't have the PSU so near to the deck, dude, though... (Large magnetic field so near to the cartridge).

Marco.

Hey Marco,

The PSU was only there briefly because I was having problems when I first set it up with the table not turning on when the PSU was plugged into it. It's back on the bottom shelf now.

It's sounding good so far, better with each record I play! I love the bass on this table and it handles noisy records much better than the Rega did. I figure once I get the cartridge good and broke in I can get my SUT and start breaking that in.

John,

Yes those are the isonoes. I love their design and they look great too!

Marco1408

« Reply #139 on: 12 Nov 2007, 09:03 am »
Dave,

Bass is one of the things direct-drives do really well, and the KAB mods improve on this aspect even more. Compared to belt-drives, the bass is deeper, tighter, and has more impact - you lose the 'flabby' excess that's synonymous with most belt-drives (save the esoteric high-mass stuff). Belt-drives are basically for pee-soaked fairies :icon_lol: And when you partner this with a cartridge like the DL-103 ('R', Pro, or whatever) that reproduces the lowest octaves with such verve and conviction, you've got a table that's a proverbial bass demon! Har har... aa

Which SUT are you going to go for?

Marco.