BCD-1 CD Player Reviews?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: BCD-1 CD Player Reviews?
« Reply #200 on: 29 Jun 2008, 12:43 pm »
Hi Andrew,

Yes it sounds like the input stage is being overloaded on the SF  The balanced output on the BDC-1 is 4.6 volts (single ended is 2.3 volts) so it is possible.

I will check with engineering as I believe we can give you a code to lower the output voltage.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #201 on: 29 Jun 2008, 01:42 pm »
Hi Andrew,

From engineering:

Hi James,

Lowering the output level is not possible with the current firmware.

I don't understand why the SFL3 pre-amp would mute only at higher volume. If they have some kind of circuit to prevent the inputbuffers from being overdriven, it should mute regardless what the volume level on the SFL3 is. Maybe they prevent the outputs from exceeding a certain level, in which case, lowering the output of the BCD1, would have the same result as lowering the volume on the SFL3, but maybe I'm missing something here.

I'm working on new software for the BCD1 which will also have the codes for lowering the output level. I'm hoping I can finish it this week, but somehow, I don't think this will solve his problem.

james
« Last Edit: 29 Jun 2008, 03:42 pm by James Tanner »

Mag

« Reply #202 on: 29 Jun 2008, 02:19 pm »
I have one track from Blue Man Audio were the BCD-1 will mute. I believe its because the wave is distorted on the recording.

IMO then the cd you are playing the recording itself is distorted on the loud passages where it mutes.

One of the professional magazine reviews made reference of the BCD-1 muting on square waves.

AndrewA

« Reply #203 on: 29 Jun 2008, 02:27 pm »
Hi James:

Thanks so much for the reply.

In between times, I just got this message from Chris Johnson, which I'm copying here in full.

"Try lowering the output volume (effectively, output voltage) of the
BCD-1.... from its full-scale maximum of 4.6 volts.  You'll have to play
around with it.... but, there should be a "direct/proportional" correlation
between how much you lower the BCD-1, and how much you can turn up the
Line-3.

I think the BCD-1, on musical peaks, was overloading the Crystal CS3310
volume control chips....

Lowering the output of the BCD-1 should solve it.... if not, the unit will have to
come back to us for our volume control mod (new chips which allow more input
voltage).

Sincerely,

Chris Johnson, President
PARTS CONNEXION
2885 Sherwood Heights Drive
Unit #72
Oakville, Ontario
CANADA L6J 7H1"

So, according to the info. that you sent along from your tech guy, it sounds like Chris J's solution isn't possible at the moment, but may be soon.  In the meantime, when I get a chance, I'm going to try running it single-ended between cd-player and preamp, in which case the player would only be outputting 2.3 volts, and see what happens then.

Thanks so much for this super-speedy feedback.

Andrew

AndrewA

« Reply #204 on: 29 Jun 2008, 02:32 pm »
Hi Mag:

It's the Sonic Frontiers Line 3 that mutes, not the BCD-1.  You hear the SF relays clicking off and then back on, and the numeric display disappears and is replaced by six dashes for the 2-3 seconds duration.  This is identical to what it does when it's in standby, before it's fully warmed up.

The BCD-1 continued to play flawlessly throughout the passage.

Thanks. Andrew

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #205 on: 29 Jun 2008, 03:40 pm »
I have one track from Blue Man Audio were the BCD-1 will mute. I believe its because the wave is distorted on the recording.

IMO then the cd you are playing the recording itself is distorted on the loud passages where it mutes.

One of the professional magazine reviews made reference of the BCD-1 muting on square waves.

The reviewer that stated he had the BCD-1 mute on the squarewave test was a problem with the actual test CD. The Squarewave he was using was from a CD where the squarewave track was near the end of a very long disc (track number 38 I believe). Once he copied the squarewave to a CDR and retested it the BCD-1 came through with flying colours.

james

KeithA

« Reply #206 on: 29 Jun 2008, 03:52 pm »

The reviewer that stated he had the BCD-1 mute on the squarewave test was a problem with the actual test CD. The Squarewave he was using was from a CD where the squarewave track was near the end of a very long disc (track number 38 I believe). Once he copied the squarewave to a CDR and retested it the BCD-1 came through with flying colours.

james

I thought that UHF Mag noted that their testing with square wave had the BCD-1 not able to play it and the readout identified the source as 'DATA"? I don't see any reference to the fact that they found it to be a disc problem in their review though. (Not that it matters :thumb:)

Keith

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #207 on: 29 Jun 2008, 03:58 pm »

james

I thought that UHF Mag noted that their testing with square wave had the BCD-1 not able to play it and the readout identified the source as 'DATA"? I don't see any reference to the fact that they found it to be a disc problem in their review though. (Not that it matters :thumb:)

Keith

Hi Keith,

Yes when we suggested what the problem may be Gerard just emailed me that all was OK. Not sure why he did not add an addendum to the review online?

james

rob80b

« Reply #208 on: 29 Jun 2008, 04:09 pm »
Delight  + problem.

Hi all.  Just purchased a BCD-1, after having compared it with Rega Saturn, Cambridge 840c, Arcam FMJ 37, Primare CD31 and Naim, among others.  It sounded so good in the shop that I couldn't wait to get it home...

Hi Andrew

Wouldn't mind hearing what you experiened with the BCD-1 in comparison to the other drives. I'll be ordering a BCD-1 in July, but since adding the 4BSST to my system what I'm hearing from my 15 year old TEAC VRDS-20 is surprising in a positive way.

Robert

AndrewA

« Reply #209 on: 29 Jun 2008, 04:38 pm »
Hi Robert.

Let me start by saying that none of the cd-players I auditioned were overly etched or overly warm, but there were certainly a number of clearly audible differences between them.

The Arcam FMJ 37 was probably the most analytical of the bunch.  It impressed on first auditioning, by really separating out what was going on in a complex recording, but as one listened on it became clear that it could be fatiguing over the long haul.

The Rega Saturn struck me as middle of the road, clean, but ultimately a little "polite".

The Primare CD31 and Naim CD5x were both good, listenable units, relatively warm and well-rounded (good timbral qualities), players that one could no doubt live with long term, but which ultimately didn't distinguish themselves, didn't stand out from the pack.

The Cambridge Audio Azur 840c was my runner up.  It was neither too analytical nor too warm, very balanced, good timbrally, lots and lots of air.

The BCD-1 has many excellent attributes, but what struck me most (or what struck me first), was its authority in the bass.  It is in another league compared to all the other units I've mentioned.  It gives the music an incredible robustness.  As I listen mainly to large-scale, nineteenth-century, orchestral music, this is a particular plus for me.  When the double-basses really dig down deep, they really dig.  This in turn gives the rest of the reproduction an excellent base (no pun intended).  Very fine player also in terms of neutrality, timbral rightness, soundstage, imaging, etc.  I heard none of the "dryness" I've occasionally seen mentioned in reviews.  Perhaps the 840c nosed it out in the "air" department, but after considerable back-and-forth auditioning, the BCD-1 was a clear winner.  The Bryston company, their support, this website, etc. etc., are only icing on the cake.

Andrew

Mag

« Reply #210 on: 29 Jun 2008, 04:51 pm »
I found the cd in question. I have the cd version and the dvd version. There is no problem with the cd version.
The dvd version I transferred to compilation cd because it's dts.

The last track I red lined the meters in the recording. On playback in the BCD-1 it mutes with no indication on the front panel display.

bummrush

« Reply #211 on: 29 Jun 2008, 04:58 pm »
I dont doubt for a second the Bryston has great bass,but part of it also is it has to be on the recording to begin with,look at the differences on the cd's everybody has.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #212 on: 29 Jun 2008, 05:53 pm »
I dont doubt for a second the Bryston has great bass,but part of it also is it has to be on the recording to begin with,look at the differences on the cd's everybody has.

I agree-- Bryston's mandate with all our products is to make them as 'neutral and linear' as possible (comes from our professional roots). Tell the truth - good or bad!

james

smerlas

« Reply #213 on: 29 Jun 2008, 09:09 pm »
I keep seeing the comments about bass and the BCD1 and I have found that is just a small part of what makes this player exceptional.  First and formost I have found the BCD1 to be incredible in sound stage and dynamics.  Music is so clear, without being sterile.  You get tons of clarity, by that I mean that you can hear the individual instruments contributing to the music.  The sound stage is clear and precise.  Instead of being able to envision the sax player somewhere behind the left speaker you can point to a spot in you room and say there he is.  If there are multiple drummers or horns you can hear them clearly and identify where they are.  Instruments sound like they would if you were playing them yourself.  It does not adjust or alter the music.

There also seams to be a reoccurring comment that it only shines with good recordings and that it won't help poor recordings.  I have played some CDs that I have never been that thrilled with only to be surprised by what really was on the CD.

The Beach Boys actually had some musical talent when played through the BCD1, there is a ton of things going on in their vocals. I bought one of their CD years ago, I think more because of what it represented rather than how it sounds.  In the past every time I have tried to play it I end up taking it out of the player.  I played it the other night and could not believe what I was hearing.  I particularly like what it does with older music.  It amazes me the mastering and things going on in some of the older music.  There were less instruments and what was going on , fingers snapping, whistling etc. is what you hear.

Oddly enough the music I have been disappointed with on the BCD1 is newer stuff that when you can really hear what is going on in gets annoying real quickly.

So when I hear about the great bass in the BCD1 I can not help but think that it is as much the clarity of the bass combined with the overall clarity that people are hearing.  Its like Prego Spaghetti Sauce ...............its in there............... and if it is the BCD1 is going to bring it out.

At some point I am going to get around to posting my observations and thoughts on the BCD1 but for now suffice it to say I have never heard any other single component do more for the music I am listening to.

Exceptional piece of equipment.  If you are thinking about getting one you won't be sorry.

8)

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #214 on: 30 Jun 2008, 06:46 am »
I wish I could afford it...I put all my money into the 4B and BP6. Which is great, but I just have a modest cd player, the Onkyo DX-7555.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #215 on: 2 Jul 2008, 09:33 pm »
Delight  + problem.

Hi all.  Just purchased a BCD-1, after having compared it with Rega Saturn, Cambridge 840c, Arcam FMJ 37, Primare CD31 and Naim, among others.  It sounded so good in the shop that I couldn't wait to get it home...

Inserted in system (Sonic Frontiers, Cary, Proac; balanced Audioquest Emerald between Bryston and Sonic Frontiers) and cued up Sibelius no. 5.

By the end of the symphony I was enjoying it all so much that I ratcheted up the vol. a couple of notches (72 on the SFL3 numeric scale), but during the last minute of play, during the loudest passages, the SF Line 3 went into mute/standby on three occasions, muting for 2-3 seconds before continuing to play till the next fff passage.  It's never done this before.  I repeated, and it did exactly the same thing (which would tend to eliminate an electrical supply problem).  I backed down the vol. to "normal" listening levels (67 on display), and it played through to the end without a hiccup.

Can anyone hazard a guess as to what's going on?  Now that I've got the Bryston, I'd be sorry to be limited to "polite" listening levels all the time.

I know that this is a Sonic Frontiers problem, and I've emailed Anthem tech support, but I'd be interested to hear from you guys too.  Was I overdriving the SF?  Would there be any difference changing to the lower-level single-ended output (though in the past the SF has sounded best balanced)?

Thanks...

Hi Andew,

I have new software which with a code will reduce the output to 2 volts on Single Ended and 4 Volts on Balanced out for you if needed.

james

MOZ

« Reply #216 on: 4 Jul 2008, 01:21 pm »
Hi James,

Two or three things that are a bit annoying on your CDP :

- the power button is not "natural" to find, your hand seeks on the left more than the right :roll:
- i ofently and faultly press "power off" instead of play, because of the position of this power button.
- why is the CD tray so brutal ? Even my wife told me she didn't feel confortable with it ! Once you've touched the "open button"... you think the tray is gonna finish in your hands...
Can't it open and stop more slowly ?
- if you "pause" on a track and then switch the "play" button to get back to the music... it starts back at the beginning of the track and not where you stopped (you have to press pause again to do it like that)... it's a bit strange !
- the "AES/EBU in" of my SP2 (SP1.7 upgraded) doesn't seem to work... i remember you had to fix something in order to make it work (when releasing SP2 upgrade). Is there something i have to do ?

Apart from that, the BCD-1 knows music  :green:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #217 on: 4 Jul 2008, 01:50 pm »
Hi James,

Two or three things that are a bit annoying on your CDP :

- the power button is not "natural" to find, your hand seeks on the left more than the right :roll:
- i ofently and faultly press "power off" instead of play, because of the position of this power button.
- why is the CD tray so brutal ? Even my wife told me she didn't feel confortable with it ! Once you've touched the "open button"... you think the tray is gonna finish in your hands...
Can't it open and stop more slowly ?
- if you "pause" on a track and then switch the "play" button to get back to the music... it starts back at the beginning of the track and not where you stopped (you have to press pause again to do it like that)... it's a bit strange !
- the "AES/EBU in" of my SP2 (SP1.7 upgraded) doesn't seem to work... i remember you had to fix something in order to make it work (when releasing SP2 upgrade). Is there something i have to do ?

Apart from that, the BCD-1 knows music  :green:

Hi Moz,

1. The position of the on/off button is chosen based on circuit layout.  You try to keep sensitive circuity as far away as possible from power circuits.

2. No comment on that one other than maybe the next go round we can change the position of the power button on the remote if most people have issues with it. We just felt the top right corner of the remote was easy to find in the dark.

3. The tray is a Phillips transport so there is no mechanical way to slow it down I am afraid.  We chose the Phillips after looking at many different drives and the number one concern we had was dependability (it has a great track record) and silent running (you can't hear it once the CD is locked in place) and laser tracking accuracy. I will certainly ask the engineering guys if slowing it down could be done in software?

4. We felt that if you hit Pause it is Paused and then hit Pause again you continue from the point you Paused at.  If you hit Play you start over from the beginning.  That may be a little different from other CD Players but I think once your aware of it it should be OK - again that could be changed in software if it is an issue for a lot of customers.

5. The AES-EBU input on the SP2 uses different software than the Optical in on the SP2 so I would have to get Mike at Bryston to send you new software.  The problem is that the AES EBU does not show up in the SP2 menu window so try choosing "Optical 1" on the menu for that input and see if it works.

Hope this helps.

james

MOZ

« Reply #218 on: 4 Jul 2008, 02:47 pm »
1. The position of the on/off button is chosen based on circuit layout.  You try to keep sensitive circuity as far away as possible from power circuits.

I know that, and you're right doing it... but it feels a bit "strange" and unconfortable when you use it... that's all !

2. No comment on that one other than maybe the next go round we can change the position of the power button on the remote if most people have issues with it. We just felt the top right corner of the remote was easy to find in the dark.

My trouble is on the CDP buttons (not on the remote)... I think i'm launching/playing the CD and... i switch the player off !!!!!!

3. The tray is a Phillips transport so there is no mechanical way to slow it down I am afraid.  We chose the Phillips after looking at many different drives and the number one concern we had was dependability (it has a great track record) and silent running (you can't hear it once the CD is locked in place) and laser tracking accuracy. I will certainly ask the engineering guys if slowing it down could be done in software?

At least when it's about to stop opening, cause it's quite violent at this precise moment !

4. We felt that if you hit Pause it is Paused and then hit Pause again you continue from the point you Paused at.  If you hit Play you start over from the beginning.  That may be a little different from other CD Players but I think once your aware of it it should be OK - again that could be changed in software if it is an issue for a lot of customers.

I'll get used to it... as for the rest of course !

5. The AES-EBU input on the SP2 uses different software than the Optical in on the SP2 so I would have to get Mike at Bryston to send you new software.  The problem is that the AES EBU does not show up in the SP2 menu window so try choosing "Optical 1" on the menu for that input and see if it works.

I'll try.

Hope this helps.

I'm not complaining, just give you my feedback as a user... if you can change things for next player, who knows ?

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #219 on: 4 Jul 2008, 03:08 pm »
Hi Moz,

It is appreciated - all input has value as we move forward.

james