BCD-1 CD Player Reviews?

ed h

Re: BCD-1 CD Player Reviews?
« Reply #280 on: 3 Sep 2008, 05:07 pm »
hello again,

i finally received the bcd-1 after a three week wait, but it was worth it. out of the box, this beauty has the best sound i've ever heard from a cd player. it definitely reflects all the hype it's been getting. too bad this wasn't available about 8 years ago, but better late than never. cd's i've played many times on lesser machines sound like i've just heard them for the first time. if you have a large collection of cd's, obtaining the bcd-1 is like you just replaced all your cd's with high resolution copies.
congrats to bryston for getting it right the first time, and making it the last cd player anyone will ever need.
btw, this is the one machine that allows me to yell out "cd's do sound better than vinal!"

one question; i know the bcd-1 plays cd-r's, but does it play cd-rw's?

rob80b

« Reply #281 on: 22 Oct 2008, 03:08 am »
Just to liven things up a bit, any word on the pending Stereophile review, I believe James mentioned it may be in the November issue, although I haven't picked up a copy in years.

robinje

« Reply #282 on: 22 Oct 2008, 03:51 am »
While it does give me the warm fuzzies to know that a product I own is reviewed positively, I generally don't put a whole lot of faith in Stereophile reviews.  YMMV...   :roll:

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #283 on: 22 Oct 2008, 06:28 am »
Just to liven things up a bit, any word on the pending Stereophile review, I believe James mentioned it may be in the November issue, although I haven't picked up a copy in years.
I received my Nov. issue of Stereophile....didn't see a review of the BCD-1.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #284 on: 22 Oct 2008, 10:45 am »

Hi Rob,

The review on the BCD-1 in Stereophile has been pushed out to January (CES Issue). I know why but I can't say.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #285 on: 22 Oct 2008, 10:47 am »
While it does give me the warm fuzzies to know that a product I own is reviewed positively, I generally don't put a whole lot of faith in Stereophile reviews.  YMMV...   :roll:

Hi Robin,

Interesting comment - I assume you do not put much stock in reviewers or their opinions or is it just Stereophile specifically? The reason I ask is I get about a call a week when we release a new product to see when the 'review' will be out so a decision can be made whether to purchase the product or not. Our policy is to fill all backorders first before we release any product for review and some have chastised me for not getting reviews done ASAP to create more demand.

"Sometimes a reviewer judges a product, and sometimes its vice versa"

james
« Last Edit: 22 Oct 2008, 12:23 pm by James Tanner »

robinje

« Reply #286 on: 22 Oct 2008, 12:38 pm »
I do read quite a few reviews and I find them entertaining and sometimes informative.  I just get turned off by flowery prose and wish some reviewers would be more "to the point".  I don't mean at all to slam Stereophile specifically.  In fact, I am a subscriber!  There's so much in this hobby that is subjective that I think it's best (for me, anyway) to listen to audio components in person (ideally in my own system) prior to making a purchase, or purchase from a vendor with a liberal return policy in case something doesn't work out.  I can, however, understand that someone might buy a product based only on a review or two.  Hey, it's your own money!   :D

Hi Robin,

Interesting comment - I assume you do not put much stock in reviewers or their opinions or is it just Stereophile specifically? The reason I ask is I get about a call a week when we release a new product to see when the 'review' will be out so a decision can be made whether to purchase the product or not. Our policy is to fill all backorders first before we release any product for review and some have chastised me for not getting reviews done ASAP to create more demand.

"Sometimes a reviewer judges a product, and sometimes its vice versa"

james

ed h

« Reply #287 on: 22 Oct 2008, 02:02 pm »
when it comes to audio equipment, i always believe in the adage "trust your ears."
i agree that it's nice to read favorable reviews concerning stuff you already own, but if you're happy with it, who cares what someone else thinks.
the bcd-1 is, by far, the best sounding cd player i've ever owned. i had been listening to an adcom 750 for the past 8 years and found it acceptable in producing good rock 'n roll sounds.
however, after listening to the bryston over the last two months, i don't know how i ever enjoyed the adcom. the bcd-1 makes all the cd's i've played so far involving; i actually don't want to turn the darn thing off.
two examples of cd's i've played dozens of times over the years are the stones' "get yer ya ya's out" and "exile on main street." based on my hearing these two classics on lesser cd players, i always thought they were not mastered properly. playing them on the bcd-1, i was enthralled; they sounded fantastic. it was as if i had just heard them for the first time.
the price of this machine is not cheap ($2700.00), but if you have a ton of cd's, the bcd-1 will pay for itself in the pleasure of hearing all these cd's played correctly for the first time.
it'll make you re-think about purchasing vinyl.
if 'stereophile' doesn't deem this an "A" component, i would be very surprised. of course, based on the price, 'stereophile may think it's not expensive enough to warrant their top ranking.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #288 on: 22 Oct 2008, 03:42 pm »
when it comes to audio equipment, i always believe in the adage "trust your ears."
i agree that it's nice to read favorable reviews concerning stuff you already own, but if you're happy with it, who cares what someone else thinks.
the bcd-1 is, by far, the best sounding cd player i've ever owned. i had been listening to an adcom 750 for the past 8 years and found it acceptable in producing good rock 'n roll sounds.
however, after listening to the bryston over the last two months, i don't know how i ever enjoyed the adcom. the bcd-1 makes all the cd's i've played so far involving; i actually don't want to turn the darn thing off.
two examples of cd's i've played dozens of times over the years are the stones' "get yer ya ya's out" and "exile on main street." based on my hearing these two classics on lesser cd players, i always thought they were not mastered properly. playing them on the bcd-1, i was enthralled; they sounded fantastic. it was as if i had just heard them for the first time.
the price of this machine is not cheap ($2700.00), but if you have a ton of cd's, the bcd-1 will pay for itself in the pleasure of hearing all these cd's played correctly for the first time.
if 'stereophile' doesn't deem this an "A" component, i would be very surprised. of course, based on the price, 'stereophile may think it's not expensive enough to warrant their top ranking.

Hi Ed,

Thanks for the feedback.
I agree that 'involving' one in the music is the difference between 'good' products and 'great' products. There is an emotional attachment when you listen to great systems that truly draws you in.  Every once in a awhile I get that little "rush" that only happens when all is right with the system.

james

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #289 on: 23 Oct 2008, 06:20 am »

You really think it equals vinyl? As a die-hard vinyl nut, I have a hard time swallowing that pill.

Anyway, nice review. I have heard the BCD-1 (at CES 2008) and I was impressed. As good as (or better than) vinyl? I really can't say.

James, how about setting up a turntable for CES 2009 so we can compare vinyl and cds played through the BCD-1 and/or BDA-1?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #290 on: 23 Oct 2008, 10:52 am »

You really think it equals vinyl? As a die-hard vinyl nut, I have a hard time swallowing that pill.

Anyway, nice review. I have heard the BCD-1 (at CES 2008) and I was impressed. As good as (or better than) vinyl? I really can't say.

James, how about setting up a turntable for CES 2009 so we can compare vinyl and cds played through the BCD-1 and/or BDA-1?

Hi Dave,

I will talk to Thiel about the turntable idea.  I know they used a turntable at the CEDIA Show in Denver in September. That was when Thiel used the Phono stage in the B100 and when Gary from Thiel wrote to me to tell me how impressed they were with the B100 over their usual show preamp.

I think the plan this year is the CD Player and a Music Server with the BDA-1?

I have to say though if you read over the many reviews we have had on the  CD Player (and some more on the way) one of the observations made by many is how "analog" like the Bryston CD Player does sound.

james

audio 1

« Reply #291 on: 23 Oct 2008, 12:16 pm »
I am considering purchasing the BCD-1 in the near future.  After reading a number of positive reviews the one question I have relates to the soundstage size and characteristics of the player.  The Hi-Fi Choice review stated that the unit is not as "open" sounding as some and this is the one aspect that I have some concern over.
I would love some feedback on this and any thoughts from actual owners.  I just want to make sure that I fully understand what some of the review comments actually mean as it relates to other players.

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #292 on: 23 Oct 2008, 12:29 pm »
hi audio 1!

what player do you used to listen to?

al.

audio 1

« Reply #293 on: 23 Oct 2008, 12:39 pm »
originally posted by alexone:
hi audio 1!

what player do you used to listen to?

al.

My current point of reference is a McIntosh MCD-201

rob80b

« Reply #294 on: 23 Oct 2008, 01:00 pm »

To put it another way, the BCD-1 for me put the argument at rest.
Vinyl is the straight amplification of the original analogue waveform _______ and will always sound the most natural to the human ear if done correctly. 
CD’s from day one have always been handicapped ………. but since owning the BCD-1 I feel Bryston have given us a tool to enjoy 16 bit digital without consciously criticizing the medium.
Both mediums are a development of this hobby of ours, vinyl was originally developed to let the masses hear concert hall music at home, CD was an extension of the convenience syndrome.
I believe Bryston originally stated that their late release of a Redbook stand-alone player was so that we can continue to enjoy the hundreds if not thousands of CDs we’ve accumulated over the years, I do not recall them stating that they were trying to produce the best analogue sounding device
The argument between analogue and digital will never go away, both have their strengths and weaknesses, I’ve accepted the facts and just enjoy the music that each is able to reproduce.

Robert

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #295 on: 23 Oct 2008, 02:47 pm »
Hi Dave,

I got this email this morning from Peter Thomas the owner and designer of PMC Speakers - talk about "timing"!

Sent: Thursday, October 23, 2008 8:57 AM
To: James Tanner
Subject: BCD1

Hi James,

I’m really enjoying the CD player…it’s amazing. So real and sounds analogue in many ways.

rydenfan

« Reply #296 on: 23 Oct 2008, 03:23 pm »
I am considering purchasing the BCD-1 in the near future.  After reading a number of positive reviews the one question I have relates to the soundstage size and characteristics of the player.  The Hi-Fi Choice review stated that the unit is not as "open" sounding as some and this is the one aspect that I have some concern over.
I would love some feedback on this and any thoughts from actual owners.  I just want to make sure that I fully understand what some of the review comments actually mean as it relates to other players.

Welcome to AC Audio 1  :thumb: Glad to see you over here...

I am sure you will get excellent feedback here.

rob80b

« Reply #297 on: 23 Oct 2008, 03:54 pm »
Hi Dave,

I got this email this morning from Peter Thomas the owner and designer of PMC Speakers - talk about "timing"!

Sent: Thursday, October 23, 2008 8:57 AM
To: James Tanner
Subject: BCD1

Hi James,

I’m really enjoying the CD player…it’s amazing. So real and sounds analogue in many ways.

When defining analogue, I believe many falsely refer to analogue’s warmth, which by all accounts is a colouring of the original wave forums, but the fact is, that even a lower end vinyl rig when properly set-up sounds natural and appealing, even with it’s inherent surface noise, speed irregularities etc. 
With the BCD-1 many have concluded, myself included, is that it just sounds right and I would guess that is the closest to defining if something sounds analogue.
It may be their reduction of jitter and in conjunction with their analogue output stage that’s accomplished this feat in smoothing out the bits in the digital recreated waveform, but all in all the BCD-1 is also a natural and appealing sounding player.

Robert
« Last Edit: 23 Oct 2008, 04:57 pm by rob80b »

predrag

« Reply #298 on: 23 Oct 2008, 04:13 pm »
Well, I am a happy owner of BCD1 for the past 6 months or so.
It gets everything right: absolutely neutral sounding!
Finally, Hi-Fi Choice magazine put BCD 1 in their 2008 Collection Edition among the 46 finest components this year!
That tells us everything! :D

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #299 on: 23 Oct 2008, 09:17 pm »

Hi Dave,

I will talk to Thiel about the turntable idea.  I know they used a turntable at the CEDIA Show in Denver in September. That was when Thiel used the Phono stage in the B100 and when Gary from Thiel wrote to me to tell me how impressed they were with the B100 over their usual show preamp.

I think the plan this year is the CD Player and a Music Server with the BDA-1?

I have to say though if you read over the many reviews we have had on the  CD Player (and some more on the way) one of the observations made by many is how "analog" like the Bryston CD Player does sound.

james

That sounds good, James. Thanks for doing that ie talking to Thiel.

That's totally fine...I just thought a vinyl vs. cd shootout would be fun as well as educational.

Yes, I have read the reviews, and again heard it at CES 2008. And again, I definitely am impressed. If I could afford it at the present time, I would get the BDA-1 to use with my current cd player!