BCD-1 CD Player Reviews?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: BCD-1 CD Player Reviews?
« Reply #240 on: 18 Jul 2008, 10:50 pm »
·Most likely the last CD you will buy, ‘’it will help you enjoy all your CD’s’’. (We read this before haven’t we)

I was refering to the excellent review of THE ABSOLUTE SOUND that JAMES sent me and that most people, here in France... won't read.

As for the CDs, that's quite amazing, i'm now able to play old CDs that i was ready to throw away !!!!!!!!!
How can you guys do that ? What's the secret JAMES.... ?  :o

There is a really, really tiny tube on the output stage which you can barely see with the naked eye!

james

MOZ

« Reply #241 on: 19 Jul 2008, 05:29 am »
 :green:

AndrewA

« Reply #242 on: 21 Jul 2008, 07:06 pm »
The Bryston remote has two small white circles between the CODE and POWER buttons, one above the other.  The upper one is larger than the lower.  I know the lower is a red LED that lights when CODE is pressed.  Does anyone have any idea what the larger/upper one is/does?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #243 on: 21 Jul 2008, 07:20 pm »
The Bryston remote has two small white circles between the CODE and POWER buttons, one above the other.  The upper one is larger than the lower.  I know the lower is a red LED that lights when CODE is pressed.  Does anyone have any idea what the larger/upper one is/does?

Hi,

The larger one is the sensor for the backlight.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #244 on: 22 Jul 2008, 02:47 pm »
James,

I just received my July, 2008 issue of Stereophile and still no reveiw of the BCD-1.  Any word on when they plan to release that? 

I noticed in the June, 2008 issue that Larry Greenhill still lists the BCD-1 in his "Associated Equipment" listing in connection with his review of the Revel Ultima Salon2.  Curiously, how long does Bryston allow reviewers to keep their review samples and what does Bryston do with the review sample after its return?

Thanks

Gary

Hi Gary,

Just heard yesterday that the Stereophile CD Player review you were asking about will be in the November 2008 issue of Stereophile.

james

PS - is it a good sign if the reviewer is purchasing the player he is reviewing?

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #245 on: 24 Jul 2008, 10:08 am »
PS - is it a good sign if the reviewer is purchasing the player he is reviewing?

I would say so!  8)

denjo

« Reply #246 on: 24 Jul 2008, 11:25 am »

I would say so!  8)

Agreed. The best endorsement a manufacturer can receive is when a reviewer buys the product he reviewed! And, for every year that he still uses it, that is the highest affirmation!  :)

vegasdave

« Reply #247 on: 24 Jul 2008, 07:31 pm »
Yep!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #248 on: 27 Jul 2008, 11:05 am »
Hi All,

Here's the link to the Absolute Sound review on the Bryston CD Player.
http://www.bryston.ca/pdfs/08/48717_eprint.pdf

james

vegasdave

« Reply #249 on: 31 Jul 2008, 02:00 am »
Cool review! The reviewer was pretty thorough. Especially when comparing it to his reference, which I imagine costs a lot more.

vegasdave

« Reply #250 on: 31 Jul 2008, 02:01 am »
Cool review! The reviewer was pretty thorough. Especially when comparing it to his reference, which I imagine costs a lot more.

vegasdave

« Reply #251 on: 31 Jul 2008, 02:02 am »

mr_bill

« Reply #252 on: 31 Jul 2008, 02:31 am »
We get the point Dave!  :D

vegasdave

« Reply #253 on: 31 Jul 2008, 07:15 pm »
lol. The reply button was hanging up on me!

rob80b

« Reply #254 on: 31 Jul 2008, 07:33 pm »
OK, you can close the thread now.
After starting this thread just over a year ago I went to order my BCD-1 today.
Good news, a Bryston Dealer here in Toronto (Altronics) had what I wanted in stock, black 17", so I picked it up at lunchtime.
Bad news, I won't be able to listen to it untill this evening.

Robert

Mag

« Reply #255 on: 31 Jul 2008, 07:48 pm »
You won't be sorry. I/We would like to have your initial impressions, please.

Thanks

rob80b

« Reply #256 on: 1 Aug 2008, 02:06 am »
Had a wee listen, but I'll reserve judgment till it's had a few days to settle in.
First impressions was that it sounded a lot fuller with more detail than the VRDS-20 but only because it is a lot louder at the same volume setting, once I adjusted the BP25 the units are quite similar in many ways, which is a good thing.
The VRDS-20 is 3.6mv (7.2) through the balanced so the BCD-1 must be around 4mv + or something.
I’ll have to get use to that draw though, the VRDS-20 is silky smooth and polite, the BCD-1 is more like, “come onnn, put another CD in there, clunk, that’s better, now sit down and listen.”

rob80b

« Reply #257 on: 1 Aug 2008, 12:07 pm »
Few more first impressions, definitely an authoritive little guy and the reviews appear to be spot on, for once. Lots of detail and a true window into the recording venue, no romanticizing here, similar to my VRDS-20 in that sense but I’m sure the improvements over the latter will become painfully (or maybe I should painlessly) obvious as I get more familiar with the BCD-1.
Believe we’ve got a winner here, my TEAC’s now up for sale.

Robert

rob80b

« Reply #258 on: 1 Aug 2008, 03:48 pm »
With regards with the observations made by a few users toward the drawer/sled it may be just a matter of adjusting the gearing ratio and a mechanical buffer. I have not seen a close up of the motor assembly; some are direct coupled to the motor shaft while some like the TEAC’s have a drive belt/gear combination, although smoother in operation can have their own problems later down the road.

Yes we all, or most of us like a well engineered product and many of our biases can be formed on initial introductions, in this case with a player it’s the drawer, but no superbly designed sled assembly will have any bearing on the sound, Bryston put their know how into where it counts, the loading appears to be the more direct approach and reminds me of some of the Philips CPD’s from years ago which are still flawlessly kicking around.

Robert

rob80b

« Reply #259 on: 2 Aug 2008, 12:47 am »
 aa Looks like everyone else is on vacation, good I have this tread to myself.

Finally after letting the BCD-1 warm up for 24 hours, without repeating what others have said this piece of equipment is simply amazing.
I had my doubts after trying out a few units and dacs over the last year but they’ve all been put to rest, the clarity, rhythm and most noticeably the propulsive dynamic range with which music is conveyed by the BCD-1 is simply awesome and that impression is only from listening so far to classical music.
Listening to recorded music has taken on altogether different dimension which I never thought possible within the CD medium, the BCD-1 may well in fact be the final and best Redbook CD player anyone in this hobby will ever need.

Robert

« Last Edit: 2 Aug 2008, 03:45 pm by rob80b »