20 greatest guitar solos

Wolfman

Re: 20 greatest guitar solos
« Reply #80 on: 31 Jan 2007, 03:47 am »
Daygloworange-
yeah,I was there and still couldn't believe it! Anybody else and I'd have to say it was a staged trick with someone playing off stage. Lord knows,right after that solo became famous,every California 10 year old was taking a stab at it.  :lol:
 Guy I was with is/was a big Emmet/Triumph fan. We were going back and forth shouting at each other about the merits of each band versus the other.
And then we just stopped talking.    :o

No,it ain't Paco de Lucia,but it did the trick. :icon_lol:

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #81 on: 31 Jan 2007, 04:11 am »
Rik Emmett lives 5 minutes away from me. I see him quite a bit at my local guitar store. We've chatted. We also run into each other at the DMV. We share the same birthday. Triumph's legendary recording studio Metalworks is up the road, about 10 min. away. I've jammed with Gil Moore.

I'd still like to see that trick, though...

Cheers

chadh

« Reply #82 on: 31 Jan 2007, 04:38 am »

PS-not to start a flame war but am i the only rock fan not impressed with clapton? In any era?  Or are the thoughts of awful phil collins produced clapton stuff just making me biased?

Yes, you are the only one.  But you can blame it on Phil Collins if you like.  Hell, you can blame Phil Collins for ANYTHING.

Chad

R_burke

« Reply #83 on: 31 Jan 2007, 03:18 pm »
Ronnie Montrose - Town without Pity on Open Fire

Brad

« Reply #84 on: 31 Jan 2007, 03:22 pm »
DayGlo - I'm jealous of you on the Rik Emmett thing.
He's been one of my favorite musicians since high school.

I saw Triumph 6 times between High School and college - always a great show.

The solo from Rock and Roll machine - which I loved - I later found out he kyped from a Paganini caprice......

nodiak

« Reply #85 on: 31 Jan 2007, 05:47 pm »
Allman Bros, Dickey Betts for their tone.
Clapton as 1/3 of Cream sound, not as much after.

Several players mentioned here I need to (re)check out.

BlackSandCable

« Reply #86 on: 31 Jan 2007, 06:05 pm »
Yngwie then came out on fire.

At one point he played Eruption. With his teeth! Perfectly!! I was working for a local band at the time,Bass Guitarist was with me and we were literally speechless.

I'd like to see that trick.  :o

Cheers

You and me both!

lazydays

« Reply #87 on: 31 Jan 2007, 06:20 pm »
you know with all the player's being brought up, we seem to have forgotten one of the better ones out there in the world of jazz. Anthony Wilson!
gary

Spirit

• Volunteer
« Reply #88 on: 31 Jan 2007, 07:27 pm »
The theme from Bonanza.
Now start humming......

Wolfman

« Reply #89 on: 1 Feb 2007, 01:08 am »
 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :green:

mfsoa

« Reply #90 on: 1 Feb 2007, 01:41 am »
Just listened to this and have to add it to the pile:

Mahavishu Orchestra, Between Nothingness and Eternity. Whole album. Start to finish.
Live from Central Park, 1973, I think.

I can't help but think that those in the crowd that had some idea of what they were seeing must have been absolutely floored.

fredgarvin

« Reply #91 on: 1 Feb 2007, 02:30 am »
I saw them on that tour and it was completely transforming musically. I walked away from hard rock that night, except to make a buck, and became a fusion player. John Mclaughlin and Billy Cobham wiped me totally out.

GregC

« Reply #92 on: 1 Feb 2007, 02:39 am »
This thread has brought up a lot of great suggestions, and it prompted me to dig out some Pat Methanny from my collection last night.  While I was at it, I found Jose Feliciano Alive-O double vinyl album and side 1 sent chills down my spine.  If the mood is right, Metallica - Whiplash solo by Kirk Hammett is impressive indeed.

Antman27

« Reply #93 on: 1 Feb 2007, 03:04 am »
How about Metallica- (Anesthesia) Pulling Teeth :icon_twisted:

R_burke

« Reply #94 on: 1 Feb 2007, 03:20 am »
Just listened to this and have to add it to the pile:

Mahavishu Orchestra, Between Nothingness and Eternity. Whole album. Start to finish.
Live from Central Park, 1973, I think.

I can't help but think that those in the crowd that had some idea of what they were seeing must have been absolutely floored.

The first time I saw Mahavishnu they were the opening act for Emerson, Lake and Palmer.  I had never heard of them and the name along with Bill Graham's penchant for mixing musical styles had me assuming some kind of Indian large ensemble.  The first thing we saw/heard was Billy Cobham warming up at a pace faster and tighter than anything we had previously known, the rest of the show wasn't bad either.  The next morning I was waiting outside the local record store when it opened to buy Inner Mounting Flame.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #95 on: 1 Feb 2007, 06:14 am »
The theme from Bonanza.
Now start humming......
So you'll know Sam......

" Tommy Tedesco was the famous guitarist, who played the "Bonanza" solo, you hear in the opening and closing themes.  He was the guitarist who also played on "Green Acres", "M.A.S.H.", and "Batman".  He is literally heard in most pop records of the 60's and 70's, and Guitar World magazine called him, "the most recorded guitarist in history", his playing encompassed over 35 years.  He was born on July 3, 1930, in Niagara Falls, New York, and died on November 10, 1997, in Northridge, California."

(note: We share the same birthday.....July 3rd. 8) )

PeteG

« Reply #96 on: 1 Feb 2007, 03:56 pm »
Stranglehold - Ted Nugent

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #97 on: 1 Feb 2007, 04:18 pm »
Frank Marino w/Mahogany Rush   "Dragonfly"

Pat Travers smokes as well.

Allan Holdsworth is a true original.

Cheers

fredgarvin

« Reply #98 on: 1 Feb 2007, 08:43 pm »
Frank Marino w/Mahogany Rush   "Dragonfly"

Pat Travers smokes as well.

Allan Holdsworth is a true original.

Cheers
I ditto Dragonfly, for sure. I guess to pick the solos that impacted me the most I will go back to the beginning(for me) and pick: "Bold as love", Hendrix and "Time", David Gilmour. Those two solos just stick with me throughout the years.

kbuzz3

« Reply #99 on: 3 Feb 2007, 04:39 am »
Ronnie Montrose - Town without Pity on Open Fire

Hell, anything on the album "Montrose"  (lead singer was Sammy Hagar!!)

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSss and check out the remasterd version....get on your bad motor scooter and ride over to the cd store