20 greatest guitar solos

nathanm

Andreas Segovia Interests Me
« Reply #40 on: 25 Jan 2007, 04:30 pm »
Andreas Segovia is much cuter than Sharon Isbin.  Come on, who didn't have a poster of this guy on their bedroom door?

I'd have to agree with JoshK's sentiments regarding the shedder aspect.  These type of players almost guilt trip you into enjoying them, because you assume it's your "duty" to admire exceptionally talented players even though when it comes right down to it, you're sitting there bored and uninvolved by their noodling.  Then you feel guilty because you think if you don't REALLY enjoy or understand this complex, brilliant music then you must be some primitive bumpkin too stupid to appreciate high brow art. 

Although all music is more or less a formula, my past experience with live jazz left me so bored because of the predictable format.  The band jams for a bit and then each one of them takes a long wanky solo with the obligatory applause from the audience (also a "duty" it seems).  Then of course there's the upright bass solo which you can never hear cause it's so damn quiet.  Sure, you want to appreciate the talent, but overall the jazz format drove me batty.  If I'm going to a show I prefer to hear planned music as opposed to jamming, but then there's that guilt again.  You're supposed to be deeply affected by these brilliant performers  Maybe jazz is like eating a raw onion, but then you can have the opposite end of pop music which is like drinking maple syrup straight from the bottle.  Somewheres inbetween seems to be the right balance I guess.  A syrupy onion.

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
Re: 20 greatest guitar solos
« Reply #41 on: 26 Jan 2007, 01:50 am »
Hmmm.  A good list but a little rock leaning IMHO.  :wink: Without listing any particular songs because there are far too many that I like, I would include John McLaughlin, Al DiMeola, Wes Montgomery, Grant Green and T-Bone Walker.  :guitar:

Leo Kottke: Vaseline Machine Gun
Doc Watson: Blackberry Rag

nodiak

« Reply #42 on: 27 Jan 2007, 06:28 am »
Robbie Kreiger - Peace Frog - Morrison Hotel

Steve Tibbets 

Dracule1

• Volunteer
« Reply #43 on: 27 Jan 2007, 02:54 pm »
Ah a great subject.  In terms of rock and roll guitar virtuosity, I would have to rate Hendrix, Rhoads, Van Halen, and Blackmore cut above the rest.  I'm glad Rhoads was mentioned - such a short life for this classically trained heavy metal axe grinder but two glorious albums with Ozzy that contains some of the greatest guitar solos I've ever heard.  Hendrix - well - he's a legend.  Eddie Van Halen had his own style that influenced many guitarists in the late 70's and 80's, but his style can get a little tedious.  Blackmore was awesome in his Rainbow years.   I'm surprised Ulrich Roth (one of the original guitarist of the Scorpions) was left out - listen to his solos on the album In Trance, and you'll probably agree he created some of the most outrageous licks.  He influenced many guitarists, including Eddie. Just my opinion.

Interesting stories about these guys.  When Eruption came out (that doesn't sound right - ah well), guitarists were wondering how in the hell did Eddie do that?  When he played the Eruption lick (that doesn't sound right either...) in front of an audience, he would turn his back at the critical part of the lick so no one would be able to copy him.  That's all history - even I can do that now.  Another interesting story.  Eddie in his younger years was a fan of Blackmore, so when he got a chance to meet him, he approached Blackmore to shake his hand.  But Blackmore wouldn't even acknowledge him and left.  I guess he doesn't like competition.  Premadonnas.
« Last Edit: 27 Jan 2007, 03:57 pm by Dracule1 »

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #44 on: 27 Jan 2007, 04:13 pm »
Uli Jon Roth.

Cheers :guitar:

PhilNYC

« Reply #45 on: 27 Jan 2007, 04:17 pm »
Jeff Beck is my favorite rock guitarist ever... :guitar: :guitar: :guitar:

elcaptain88

« Reply #46 on: 27 Jan 2007, 04:18 pm »
Not mentioned yet:

Solo at the end of Floyd's 'Have a Cigar' & the transition into 'Wish You Were Here'. Some of the chops on 'Shine on.. are great too - damn I love that album.

acresm22

« Reply #47 on: 27 Jan 2007, 05:29 pm »
Hmmmmm....not one mention yet of Martin Barre of Jethro Tull.  Too  many classic riffs and solos to count...
The Tull live album from the late 70s, Bursting Out, is a Martin Barre extravaganza! The circus-like intro to Aqualung, the ripping lead seque into Minstrel in the Gallery after Ian's acoustic intro....too good.

D.

chadh

« Reply #48 on: 27 Jan 2007, 11:02 pm »

Another amongst the "I can't believe he hasn't been mentioned" list:  Carlos Santana.  Listen to "Flame Sky", where he also gets some help from John McLaughlin.

Chad

frustrated

« Reply #49 on: 28 Jan 2007, 12:23 am »
Many guitar players and soloist that I listen to: Stevie Ray Vaughn, Albert King, BB King, Eric Clapton, Andres Segovia, Christopher Parkening, Robert Cray, Johny Lang, Jonny Winters, Taj Mahal, Buddy Guy, etc.  I saw Joe Bonamassa about 15 years ago on tv being interviewed after a performance at BB King's club in Memphis.  He was 13 years old.  I can't say I lost track of him but I gave him some time to grow and I must say that his Blues Deluxe total blew me away.  I also had a chance to watch him on dvd and I was messmerized for one hour.  He also sings but his guitar his so good that to me his singing is just a distraction.  When he want to get serious the other members of the band take a break and Joe says " I'd like to play a little guitar for you."  Anyone feel the heat or is it just me?

bacobits1

« Reply #50 on: 28 Jan 2007, 01:15 am »
Steve Vai- Tender Surrender
Many others too.

D

Antman27

« Reply #51 on: 28 Jan 2007, 04:24 am »
SRV
  Life Without You (Live) from In Step remaster bonus track
 :drool: :drool: :drool:
First Solo in this song is killa
Then SRV gives a rap about almost dying from to much partying and to be there for the ones you love (the hair on the back of my neck stands up every time I hear it )
THEN solo 2 he rips into the strings you can feel the strings being pushed against the frets like he is going to break the neck in half
Of the same CD
Leave My Girl Alone as mentioned already Check out the recording from
Live From Austin Texas
Release Date: Oct 31, 1995
Dont get much better than this ~~~ :drool: :drool:

chadh

« Reply #52 on: 28 Jan 2007, 04:37 am »

HAs anybody listened to Jeff Healy?  A blind Canadian guitarist who is pretty amazing.  I have his first two albums.  Neither of them are all that good - except for the soloing.  When the Beatles recorded "While My Guitar Gently Weeps", George Harrison had Clapton do the solo.  Well, to be honest, Jeff Healy's effort on the same song makes Clapton's seem kind of amateurish.  It's a bit of a shame his own music is so average.

Speaking of guitarists - I might get to hear Tommy Emmanuel live in a week and a half!

Chad

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #53 on: 28 Jan 2007, 05:41 am »

Speaking of guitarists - I might get to hear Tommy Emmanuel live in a week and a half!

Chad
Chad......Make sure you go and see him....he's an excellent guitarist. I have a few friends that have seen him live....they all raved !!
I have one of his DVD's, and a few cd's....great stuff. Check out his "Live One" double cd.....link.... :guitar:

chadh

« Reply #54 on: 28 Jan 2007, 01:36 pm »

Chad
Chad......Make sure you go and see him....he's an excellent guitarist. I have a few friends that have seen him live....they all raved !!
I have one of his DVD's, and a few cd's....great stuff. Check out his "Live One" double cd.....link.... :guitar:

Thanks.  I've actually heard him about three times, years ago in Australia (once supporting Clapton).  I'm pretty keen to go but....any chance you want to come and babysit for my 2 and 4 year olds?

Chad

lcrim

« Reply #55 on: 28 Jan 2007, 02:14 pm »
I just read through this thread and the overwhelming view that only rock guitar is of interest makes me sad. 

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #56 on: 28 Jan 2007, 03:04 pm »
I just read through this thread and the overwhelming view that only rock guitar is of interest makes me sad. 

Then you need to re-read this thread. Nowhere does anyone imply anything of the sort.

Cheers

lcrim

« Reply #57 on: 28 Jan 2007, 04:31 pm »
Daygloworange:
The general assumption seemed to be that the topic was great  "rock" solos.  I wasn't the only one struck by that fact.  In particular, several others wondered how it was that classical and/or jazz guitarists were not mentioned.  Yes, some were mentioned but even then there were objections.  BTW, I am not questioning the right to hold strong opinions just that this community sees great guitar playing as being the province of rock & roll.  That makes me sad.

I had a similar discussion recently w/ a colleague @ work and had the distinct impression that interest in anything but popular music comes to most only w/ age.  I bought my first system in 1968 and the music I bought and listened to then was not jazz or classical but the popular music of that era.  I still listen to some of that music but for the most part my tastes have changed as I've gotten older.  This is not a particularly novel notion and perhaps my sadness is about that fact more than any looking down at rhe tastes of others.  Sorry

lazydays

« Reply #58 on: 29 Jan 2007, 05:09 pm »
I saw this on Anandtech.
http://cityrag.blogs.com/main/2007/01/100_greatest_gu.html

1. Stairway To Heaven - Jimmy Page
2. Eruption - Edward Van Halen (Option 2)
3. Freebird - Collins/Rossington
4. Comfortably Numb - David Gilmour (Option 2)
5. All Along The Watchtower - Jimi Hendrix
6. November Rain - Slash
7. One - Kirk Hammet/Metallica
8. Hotel California - Don Felder/Joe Walsh
9. Crazy Train - Randy Rhoads (Option 2)
10. Crossroads - Eric Clapton
11. Voodo Chile - Jimi Hendrix
12. Johnny B. Goode - Chuck Berry
13. Texas Flood - Stevie Ray Vaughan
14. Layla - Clapton/Allman
15. Floods - Dimebag Darrel
16. Heartbreaker - Jimmy Page
17. Cliffs Of Dover - Eric Johnson
18. Little Wing - Jimi Hendrix
19. Highway Star - Ritchie Blackmore
20. Bohemian Rhapsody - Brian May

you left two very imortant ones out:
* Alman Brothers "You Don't Love Me"
* Jimmy Hendrix's  "Machine Gun"
gary

kbuzz3

An underrated classic
« Reply #59 on: 29 Jan 2007, 05:25 pm »
Let me add one that does not get bounced arround much: Steve Hunter with a 2-3 minute opening salvo for Sweet Jane on Lou Reed's Live 1974 release:

Rock n Roll Animal
Released    February 1974
Recorded    December 21, 1973
Length    40:32 (original)
48:12 (remaster)
Label    RCA
Producer(s)    Steve Katz & Lou Reed

This solo does not have the pyrotechnics of say a classic Jimmy Page break...but as an effort in pure musician's ship this is one of the best ever.  This particularly true given the fact this solo is totally independant from the orignal release, obviously considered a classic in this form.

Top that folks...