20 greatest guitar solos

Folsom

Re: 20 greatest guitar solos
« Reply #20 on: 25 Jan 2007, 05:34 am »
Dire Straits - Money For Nothing (who ever does the intro, even if Mark Knopfler is the best player)

Bruce Springsteen - Disorder In The House

Those are two of my favorites.

pjchappy

« Reply #21 on: 25 Jan 2007, 05:44 am »
I'll just list my favorite Gilmour solos:   8)

Short solo off of The Fletcher Memorial Home, from The Final Cut. Very emotional. . .emotes anger and frustration.
Solo on Dogs, from Animals. . .never have heard so much ANGER come through on a solo.  Amazing.
Extended solo on Mother, from The Wall Live CD.  Just killer!
Comfortably Numb.

p

outlawrocketman

« Reply #22 on: 25 Jan 2007, 06:23 am »
Wow, there are so many great guitar solos to consider.  But surprised no one has mentioned the classic Nils Lofhren "Keith Don't Go". I like the acoustic version on the album Acoustic Live.

JohninCR

« Reply #23 on: 25 Jan 2007, 06:40 am »
Guys, now you all have me adding stuff to a huge playlist.  There's just no way to pick a top 20.  My biggest problem is choosing between blues and rock guitar, another impossible choice, at least for me.

S Clark

« Reply #24 on: 25 Jan 2007, 06:59 am »
Are there no classical guitar fans out there? What about Segovia, the Romero Bros.,Willaims?

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #25 on: 25 Jan 2007, 07:07 am »
Are there no classical guitar fans out there? What about Segovia, the Romero Bros.,Willaims?
Julian Bream.....Pepe Romero......Christopher Parkening..... :guitar:

S Clark

« Reply #26 on: 25 Jan 2007, 07:18 am »

Now we are talkin' virtuosity! :thumb:

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #27 on: 25 Jan 2007, 07:32 am »

Now we are talkin' virtuosity! :thumb:
Now....someone will ask...what about the Jazz guitarists ?

Pat Martino.....Pat Metheny....George Benson.....Joe Pass....Jim Hall.....Earl Klugh....Grant Green....Wes Montgomery.....Kenny Burrell.....and many more

Jade East

« Reply #28 on: 25 Jan 2007, 08:20 am »
Anything by Lenny Breau.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGcJAA4S6HQ

And Frank Zappa had a ton of amazing solos.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_i_HVBD9ks
« Last Edit: 25 Jan 2007, 09:08 am by Jade East »

mfsoa

« Reply #29 on: 25 Jan 2007, 01:23 pm »
LoneW,
I was thinking the same myself...
I am wondering how many of the guitarists in that top 20 list could spontaneously improvise unique melodies over complex chord changes flying by at a rapid tempo for minutes at a time, while listening to and responding to the simultaneous commentary of their fellow musicians. 

When I hear something like the new Scofield "EnRoute" I can't help but think that the vast majority (and I'm being generous) of the "Top 20" guys just couldn't come close to pulling off a live jazz trio set.

PhilNYC

« Reply #30 on: 25 Jan 2007, 01:37 pm »
Not a bad list!  A couple of them I wouldn't have included (eg. November Rain, Layla, Cliffs of Dover), but overall a good balance of different stuff.

Others I would have put on the list:

Sultans of Swing (Dire Straits)
Freeway Jam (Jeff Beck)
You Really Got Me (The Kinks)
Tom Sawyer (Rush)
Beat It (Michael Jackson)
Hot for Teacher (Van Halen)
London Calling (The Clash)
Driven to Tears (The Police)

Thebiker

« Reply #31 on: 25 Jan 2007, 01:51 pm »
Pat Metheny "One Quiet Night"  the entire album
Anything by Sharon Isbin.  Classical guitarist, dazzling live and easy on the eyes (never a bad thing :wink:).

Tirade

« Reply #32 on: 25 Jan 2007, 01:58 pm »
I dont fancy myself as an audiophile and I know very little about music... however acoustic guitar usually gets my attention and I find it really seems to be the type of music I enjoy. Can anyone give me a list of songs if I were making an acoustic pop/rock CD?

As an example, Jack Johnson is currently in my CDP and I really enjoy it.

JoshK

« Reply #33 on: 25 Jan 2007, 02:28 pm »
LoneW,
I was thinking the same myself...
I am wondering how many of the guitarists in that top 20 list could spontaneously improvise unique melodies over complex chord changes flying by at a rapid tempo for minutes at a time, while listening to and responding to the simultaneous commentary of their fellow musicians. 

When I hear something like the new Scofield "EnRoute" I can't help but think that the vast majority (and I'm being generous) of the "Top 20" guys just couldn't come close to pulling off a live jazz trio set.

My perspective is this list is about guitar solos that really hook you and get your head moving.  To that end, I think complexity seldom leads to accessibility and general attractiveness, and visa versa.  This is my main beef with jazz. 

While it is incredibly clear that many jazz musicians are very talented, I find the vast majority of the music uninvolving and boring.  Another example is Dream Theater, where the individual musicians are each incredibly talented and the guitarist has done numerous crossover side projects.  However, I find the "shredding" he does on the DT albums to be terribly annoying and detracting from the groove of the tunes. 

So when I read this list, I think it meant for a broad agreeance on guitar solos, and therefore is going to contain rock hits. 

Thebiker

« Reply #34 on: 25 Jan 2007, 02:36 pm »
Well Josh,
That's what makes this a great forum....many people with different perspectives out for the same end, enjoying the music.  Whether it makes your head bob, your toe tap or transports you somewhere else, it's all the same place with different paths...audio nirvana.

So ends the existential analysis.

Scott F.

« Reply #35 on: 25 Jan 2007, 03:00 pm »
My perspective is this list is about guitar solos that really hook you and get your head moving.  To that end, I think complexity seldom leads to accessibility and general attractiveness, and visa versa.  This is my main beef with jazz. 

Hiya Josh,

I understand where you are coming from. It wasn't all that long ago I was trying to wrap my mind around jazz myself. Not all jazz mind you, just some of it.

If I can make a suggestion and have you go out and pick up a disc, this would be a great place to start. Pat Metheny's Imaginary Day is a perfect starting point for the melding of the essence of jazz to rock. The music is complex yet very melodic with loads of chord and tempo changes. Not to mention the fact that Pat just plain rocks on this album. His guitar solos are simply stunning. They rank right up there with the best of the traditional rock axemen.

The beat and feel of this album is near pure rock with underlying jazz change ups and tempo's. If you don't want to buy it, go to the library and rent it. That or I'd bet a donut that Wolfy's got a copy. Maybe he could let you borrow it at the next Rave.

Give it a good three or four listens from front to back. You wont be disappointed, I promise. This jazz album 'feels' more like a rock album than anything. If you decide you like this one, I can make a few more suggestions that will let you ease your way into appreciating what jazz has to offer rather than just saying go out and pick up Miles Davis XYZ or John Coltrane's ZYX which will immediately turn you off to jazz.

I've often thought about writing a series of articles that cover this exact subject. Taking rock based listeners down a very specific path that will eventually lead to an appreciation to the nuances of jazz.

mfsoa

« Reply #36 on: 25 Jan 2007, 03:10 pm »
JoshK,
All of your comments are absolutely true re my post!

PhishPhan

« Reply #37 on: 25 Jan 2007, 03:19 pm »
I dont fancy myself as an audiophile and I know very little about music... however acoustic guitar usually gets my attention and I find it really seems to be the type of music I enjoy. Can anyone give me a list of songs if I were making an acoustic pop/rock CD?

As an example, Jack Johnson is currently in my CDP and I really enjoy it.

If you like Jack Johnson, you should check out Keller Williams. He writes quirky songs and is incredibly proficient with his guitar. His style is very reminiscent of Michael Hedges. I think his voice is great but he seems to showcase it less and less with each new album he puts out; his first album, Freek is the one to pick up if your into vocals and such. I would recommend Laugh to most people as it is more polished and slightly less jam oriented.

PhilNYC

« Reply #38 on: 25 Jan 2007, 03:34 pm »
I understand where you are coming from. It wasn't all that long ago I was trying to wrap my mind around jazz myself. Not all jazz mind you, just some of it.

If I can make a suggestion and have you go out and pick up a disc, this would be a great place to start. Pat Metheny's Imaginary Day is a perfect starting point for the melding of the essence of jazz to rock. The music is complex yet very melodic with loads of chord and tempo changes. Not to mention the fact that Pat just plain rocks on this album. His guitar solos are simply stunning. They rank right up there with the best of the traditional rock axemen.

I think the best place to start for a rock guy trying to get into jazz is John Scofield...Uberjam, EnRoute, etc are jam-oriented performances that most of the rock guys I know can really get into.  Other than that, some of the more traditional players who are soulful and engaging are Joe Pass, Kenny Burrell, and Wes Montgomery...

JoshK

« Reply #39 on: 25 Jan 2007, 04:07 pm »
Thanks for the suggestion Scott.  I'll put it in my lala want list.  I've already tried Wes Montgomery, Sonny Rollins and some others.  I have one Jon Scofield, but I don't remember it.