20 greatest guitar solos

lazydays

Re: 20 greatest guitar solos
« Reply #60 on: 29 Jan 2007, 05:37 pm »

HAs anybody listened to Jeff Healy?  A blind Canadian guitarist who is pretty amazing.  I have his first two albums.  Neither of them are all that good - except for the soloing.  When the Beatles recorded "While My Guitar Gently Weeps", George Harrison had Clapton do the solo.  Well, to be honest, Jeff Healy's effort on the same song makes Clapton's seem kind of amateurish.  It's a bit of a shame his own music is so average.

Speaking of guitarists - I might get to hear Tommy Emmanuel live in a week and a half!

Chad

what most don't know about "while my guitar gently weeps" is that when it came time to record the solos; Clapton came in and played them once, and left. When they played "You Don't Love Me" at the Filmore East, the band was stoned (I was there).
gary

Brad

« Reply #61 on: 29 Jan 2007, 07:36 pm »

Speaking of guitarists - I might get to hear Tommy Emmanuel live in a week and a half!

Chad

Just checked his schedule - he is playing in Fort Worth with Doc Watson  8) - I'd really like to make it up there for that.

BlackSandCable

« Reply #62 on: 29 Jan 2007, 07:39 pm »
I tend to like almost anything by SRV & Robert Cray. There are way too many harder players that I like so I won't even try to list them but I will throw out the names of 2 that IMO are not very well known.

I would encourage all to Google Ronni LeTekro from a band by the name of TNT. This guy is in a class all by himself and has been doing it for years. When a lot of people were getting into guitar after listening to EVH, this was the guy who made me pick one up over 20 years ago............and I'm still playing and he is better now then he was back then.

Another guy to Google is Takasaki Akira from Loudness. Many years ago there was a huge debate in some circles..........many felt that this guy was better then EVH on every level. I'm not sure I would go that far but when it came to speed and technique, Yngwie Malmstein was looking over his shoulder at this guy!

I will also step out and say publicly that I'm a fan of George Lynch! The band Dokken is another story but I like a lot of what George has done over the years.

I could easily list another 50 or so guitar players that I think should make the definitive "Metal" list but in the end it's all subjective on what each of us views as great guitar playing!

Brad

« Reply #63 on: 29 Jan 2007, 07:51 pm »
I got into TNT back in the 80's hair metal days.
I picked up one of their albums again on vinyl a couple of years ago - I'll have to give it another listen.
What do you like that LeTekro has done lately?

sts9fan

« Reply #64 on: 29 Jan 2007, 08:06 pm »
When they played "You Don't Love Me" at the Filmore East, the band was stoned (I was there).

Are you telling me bands do drugs????

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #65 on: 29 Jan 2007, 08:32 pm »
Daygloworange:
The general assumption seemed to be that the topic was great  "rock" solos.  I wasn't the only one struck by that fact.  In particular, several others wondered how it was that classical and/or jazz guitarists were not mentioned.  Yes, some were mentioned but even then there were objections.  BTW, I am not questioning the right to hold strong opinions just that this community sees great guitar playing as being the province of rock & roll.  That makes me sad.

I had a similar discussion recently w/ a colleague @ work and had the distinct impression that interest in anything but popular music comes to most only w/ age.  I bought my first system in 1968 and the music I bought and listened to then was not jazz or classical but the popular music of that era.  I still listen to some of that music but for the most part my tastes have changed as I've gotten older.  This is not a particularly novel notion and perhaps my sadness is about that fact more than any looking down at rhe tastes of others.  Sorry

lcrim,

No harm no foul. I just felt that the title of the thread leaves it open to styles, and that people posted about what they liked, and that there was a variety. I think you will find that a lot, if not most AC members are music lovers with very broad tastes which I find very refreshing.

Your post was brief and blunt, and in turn so was mine. I certainly was not offended personally by your post, but sometimes people don't read all the posts in a thread and then make an assumption and comment based on that assumption.

I have a list a mile long of favorite guitar solos, but it would be all over the map in terms of genres and styles....I wouldn't know where to begin and where to end.

No offence taken, and certainly no offence thrown your way.

Cheers

BlackSandCable

« Reply #66 on: 29 Jan 2007, 09:25 pm »
I got into TNT back in the 80's hair metal days.
I picked up one of their albums again on vinyl a couple of years ago - I'll have to give it another listen.
What do you like that LeTekro has done lately?

Brad,

Not long ago they came out with a new cd called All The Way To The Sun, it's not in the same league as say Knights of the New Thunder and is actually a rather soft cd but its still typical TNT with LeTekro playing some mean guitar. Ready To Fly is a decent tune with some nice playing as is The Letter. I can’t stand the song but the guitar work is very cool. Mellow, raunchy you name it he is doing it in this song. The tune Too Late also shows what LeTekro can do.

For anyone new to Letekro jump right to the cd Tell No Tales and listen to Sapphire. It’s a short instrumental that to this day is one of the best all around guitar solos I have heard. If you understand guitar, you will appreciate it even more.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/music/wma-pop-up/B000001FL9001004/ref=mu_sam_wma_001_004/002-9162698-8552805

My one and only problem with TNT is the vocals. You either love or hate the guy! I can live with it on most of there stuff but there are some songs that I have trouble with.

Brad

« Reply #67 on: 29 Jan 2007, 09:43 pm »
Tell No Tales is the LP (vinyl) I picked up.
My ears have gotten a little more sensitive to that type of vocals than they used to be  :D
I'll fire it up and pay more attention to that track.
thx

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #68 on: 29 Jan 2007, 09:43 pm »
Guys that I have seen live that were astonishing were Steve Morse, and Nuno Bettencourt from Extreme.

John Sykes is also amazing. One of the best vibrato's in all of rock.

Cheers

Wayner

« Reply #69 on: 29 Jan 2007, 10:45 pm »
Bass guitar solo by Chris Squire on the album Yessongs, "Yours is No Disgrace".

Guitar solo by Andrew Latimer on the Camel album Coming of Age, "Lunar Sea".

Guitar solo by David Gilmore on the Pink Floyd album, Division Bell, "What do you want from me"?

More when I have time.

W

Wolfman

« Reply #70 on: 30 Jan 2007, 01:44 am »
Lot's of tasty stuff here. A little off sideways here,but once went to a Triumph/Yngwie concert. Ric Emmet and Triumph put on a great show. Yngwie then came out on fire.

At one point he played Eruption. With his teeth! Perfectly!! I was working for a local band at the time,Bass Guitarist was with me and we were literally speechless.

Live is where the true solos happen,on a good night,many can leave you wanting to go home and just throw your equipment into the trash!    :o

nodiak

« Reply #71 on: 30 Jan 2007, 03:19 am »
You know, I never wanted to post this but of course at some point it fits in enough, and makes me a little cool  8)...or not. I worked at Ernie Ball guitar factory in the 80's doing some sanding, buffing painted/lacquered bodies and necks, and a little fret dressing and set up of completed electric 6 strings. No, I'm not a guitar builder.
As they were developing a new model they would get some stars to visit to check it out, offer opinions and sometimes leave one of their guitars for influence to get the feel. A few that came to the shop were Van Halen, Steve Morse, George Harrison (wasn't there for him, dammit, most important of them all to me).
At one of the afterwork "burrito bash" get togethers Steve Morse was there and played an acoustic for us. Wouldn't know what to say about how cool that was. But even better to me was when I went into the setup room and there was Eric Claptons Strat...so I picked it up and played it, but unplugged so no one would hear me. I suck, but what a treat! No, never met the man unfortunately...wonder if he'd be pissed?  :nono:

Scott F.

« Reply #72 on: 30 Jan 2007, 03:42 am »
nodiak,

If it was Blackie,

at the time probably would have gotten a bit cranked but considering it sold for almost $960,000 a couple of years ago, I doubt he'd say much now  :wink:

Premuda

« Reply #73 on: 30 Jan 2007, 01:02 pm »
[

If I can make a suggestion and have you go out and pick up a disc, this would be a great place to start. Pat Metheny's Imaginary Day is a perfect starting point for the melding of the essence of jazz to rock. The music is complex yet very melodic with loads of chord and tempo changes. Not to mention the fact that Pat just plain rocks on this album. His guitar solos are simply stunning. They rank right up there with the best of the traditional rock axemen.

The beat and feel of this album is near pure rock with underlying jazz change ups and tempo's. If you don't want to buy it, go to the library and rent it. That or I'd bet a donut that Wolfy's got a copy. Maybe he could let you borrow it at the next Rave.

I agree with you,great songs(album). That's a Metheny  i like it!!!

silverfi

• Industry Participant
  • Closer To Music
    • SilverFi Cable
« Reply #74 on: 30 Jan 2007, 02:35 pm »
 Generally, I view this topic on the basis of artist and album:

Some examples (naturally there are many more need mentioning):

Most of the solos by Roy Buchanan. Unfortunately an underrrated talent with bad faith.

Listen to "Paris,Texas" album by Ry Cooder. He is sophisticated. Also listen to his album with Ali Farka Toure.

Last but not least, any solo by fretless guitar virtuoso  Erkan Ogur.

nodiak

« Reply #75 on: 30 Jan 2007, 03:41 pm »
Scott F, couldn't be sure if it was Blackie, always thought so of course. was really worn, but wasn't sure he'd leave it like that. was in '85.

lazydays

« Reply #76 on: 30 Jan 2007, 06:42 pm »
I once listened to Albert King and his brother (I think he was anyway) play with a guitar that had four pickups on it! Smokin'!! Then they got a guy to come up and set in with them out of the audience (never identified him), and shook the plaster for another thirty odd minutes. Unforgetable.
    I've seen John Schofield play in a small club with great acoustics, and let me say that he can do it all. Charlie Hunter is another good one, but not exactly my cup of tea. Bill Lancton can set the world on fore if he's in the mood (gave Carlos Santana lessons). But Wes Montgomery was the top of the heap. Set the style so often imitated, but never equaled. Bobby Groom and Steans are about as close as it gets to Wes Montgomery, and Steans only plays for himself anymore. One guy that everybody seems to have forgotten, and is one of the very best guitar players out there is Rickie Scaggs.
    Before picking the best, one needs to look at just who and where Allman played in is many venues. In the world of rock he did it all.
gary

GregC

« Reply #77 on: 30 Jan 2007, 06:44 pm »
Friday Night in San Francisco - John McLaughlin, Al Di Meola, and Paco De Lucia.
Outlaws - Green Grass and High Tides
Alvin Lee - I'm Coming Home (Live)
Gipsy Kings - Inspiration
Lou Reed - Rock and Roll Animal (with Steve Hunter).

That is just a few off the top of my head.

kbuzz3

« Reply #78 on: 31 Jan 2007, 03:23 am »

Lou Reed - Rock and Roll Animal (with Steve Hunter).

glad someone else mentioned this one..waaaaaaaaaaay underrated.

I forgot to mention anything on the gregg allman anthology...

PS-not to start a flame war but am i the only rock fan not impressed with clapton? In any era?  Or are the thoughts of awful phil collins produced clapton stuff just making me biased?

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #79 on: 31 Jan 2007, 03:25 am »
Yngwie then came out on fire.

At one point he played Eruption. With his teeth! Perfectly!! I was working for a local band at the time,Bass Guitarist was with me and we were literally speechless.

I'd like to see that trick.  :o

Cheers