Audiophile electronica/trance/house

emac

Re: Audiophile electronica/trance/house
« Reply #40 on: 8 Sep 2007, 06:25 pm »
Since most of what has been mentioned is downtempo (except for groups like the Chemical Brothers, Crystal Method, and Underworld), let's push up the tempo with the next couple of choices.  Junkie XL's most recent album Today, Layo and Bushwacka's 1st 2 albums (Low Life and Night Works), and Makoto's Human Elements. 

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #41 on: 8 Sep 2007, 08:41 pm »
Nightmares on Wax http://www.nightmaresonwax.net/

I have Carboot Soul and In a Space Outta Sound, great stuff, definately designed for a good system.

Also, check out Chilled Ibiza: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Chilled-Ibiza-Vol-1-Various-Artists/dp/B00004Y33J

Theres LOTS of great music on CI, the first of the series is especially awesome, CI II and CI III are good, but not as consistantly good as the first one. Almost every artist on CI I is worth checking out.

Propellerheads: http://www.google.com/musica?aid=F4czS59tmTB&sa=X&oi=music&ct=result

...are a little more techno, but really good, and more uptempo.

Dave

emac

« Reply #42 on: 8 Sep 2007, 09:24 pm »
You might be right about the Nightmares on Wax with those albums.  I have Smoker's Delight and DJ Kicks, and while I like them a lot, they're more lo-fi, like RJD2 or DJ Shadow.  May be he changed his sound a bit.

As for the Propellerheads, I agree wholeheartedly.  Wonderful production throughout.  History Repeating is a good example. 

If you're thinking along the lines of instrumental hip hop, DJ Frane comes to mind.  Fun samples and music that takes you on a journey. 

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #43 on: 9 Sep 2007, 02:39 am »
Yeah, in a space outta sound is something else... its a really nice production. I definately want to get his other albums sometime soon. Lots of good suggestions in this thread, it's going to cost me $$$  :green: 

Imperial

• Love keeps us in the air, when we ought to fall.
« Reply #44 on: 28 Nov 2007, 12:23 am »
Today I came across this artist.
DiskJokke! http://www.myspace.com/diskjokke
It's really good!

Groovy! I'm thinking leftism... something here!!!
So, I've bought my first mp3 album then! On download! And It does have good sound!!!  :thumb:

Imperial
« Last Edit: 28 Nov 2007, 01:14 am by Imperial »

IronLion

« Reply #45 on: 28 Nov 2007, 12:52 am »
Shpongle.

Amazing music. 

mcullinan

« Reply #46 on: 28 Nov 2007, 01:38 am »
Classic favorites
Orbital
The Orb
Chemical Brothers
Future Sound of London
Daft Punk

Mike

Imperial

• Love keeps us in the air, when we ought to fall.
« Reply #47 on: 10 Dec 2007, 05:29 am »

Of course the team "Star Gate" come from Norway. The hottest producers in USA now almost...
I like that!!! These guys are serious about their stuff! Hard working dudes!!! Yeah! Good stuff from Norway too you see!!!  :thumb:

Imperial

Stargate nominated for 5 grammy's. I love it when I'm spot on!!!
Yeah!!!  :thumb:

Imperial

mech

« Reply #48 on: 11 Dec 2007, 02:42 pm »
Also check out

Amon Tobin
Apex Twin
Chris Clark
Prefuse73
Plaid
Homelife
Broadcast

mcullinan

« Reply #49 on: 11 Dec 2007, 02:42 pm »
Burial.. is quite good.
Mike

Hicks

• Aperion Audio
    • Aperion Audio
« Reply #50 on: 12 Dec 2007, 06:45 pm »

Tipper-Surrounded

The only 5.1 electronica album I know of, nice detailed downtempo that is perfect for the surround sound experience. 

The Orb- Orbus Terrarum

One of the most densely layered albums of all time, pure audio pleasure and a must have for any lover of abstract/experimental electronica.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #51 on: 12 Dec 2007, 08:26 pm »
This is a GREAT thread, that will cost me plenty. 

OK, so I love Radiohead...a lot!!  (Saw them at Bonnaroo, etc.)  Kid A and Amnesiac (as well as everything Radiohead except Pablo Honey) are staples here at the Brady household.   They aren't really electronica, except for their toe-in-the-water approach with the above two releases.  From this thread I found many of these to listen to on Rhapsody. The only ones i own that were mentioned are the Radiohead stuff and the Nils Peter Molvaer stuff (nice horn/trance combo), and have concluded that I really like the sound of, like, Robert Miles Miles_Gurtu...and the K&D stuff..am gonna buy them soon!  I don't like the uptempo dance vocal stuff; I'm more of a instrumental/jazz/ambient guy, as well as some acoustic/electronica combinations (hence the Kid A stuff). 

Anyway, if anyone knows what the hell I just described, bring on some pointed recommendations.   :?  Otherwise, I'll just keep reading along and go find samples to evaluate and enjoy.  Thanks!  :thumb:

Edit:  Robert1325, Postal Service, very nice.

texendo

« Reply #52 on: 12 Dec 2007, 08:45 pm »
You may or may not have heard of beatport.com.  It's kinda like an iTunes site except that it's only for electronica, the kicker being you can download in full resolution WAV.  It's the only site I've ever paid for downloads.  If it's electronica, they probably have it.

Hicks

• Aperion Audio
    • Aperion Audio
« Reply #53 on: 12 Dec 2007, 09:08 pm »
I love K&D and the side projects, Peace Orchestra and Tosca.

I highly recommend checking out the Ninja Tune label for downtempo, with some of my favorites being Hint, Luke Vibert (he also records under the name Wagon Christ), Funki Porcini (especially the Hedphone Sex album) DJ Food and Amon Tobin although Tobin is more on the experimental/dnb tip.

More downtempo artists to check out are DJ Krush, DJ Shadow (if you don't own Endtroducing yet go get it right now!!), and Air's Moon Safari in addition to some of the others that have been mentioned like Nightmares on Wax, Plaid and Massive Attack.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #54 on: 12 Dec 2007, 09:42 pm »
Sofa Surfers   :thumb:

I got "See the Light" a while ago, very good.

some young guy

« Reply #55 on: 12 Dec 2007, 10:46 pm »
i'm a big fan of thievory corp., tosca, k & d etc., but i've got a few more favorite picks for the list:

the dining rooms
govinda
nick warren
projections
stephane pompougnac
sharam
baby mamoth
dj maestro
ralph meyerz
saru

i have more, but that's a good start  :D

mjosef

« Reply #56 on: 13 Dec 2007, 06:44 am »
Good recommendations there Hicks...earlier I was reading a post on "dark electronica/ambient" over on the AA, and ended up buying a couple of the Orb, and TFSOL... nice, I like what I heard on the samples.

amadeus916

• Aperion Audio
« Reply #57 on: 21 Dec 2007, 08:35 pm »
Man...some great music being tossed about in this thread...

I saw some Notwist earlier...Loving it. Also somebody mentioned Burial a bit ago, and his stuff is just amazing. I wouldn't necessarily lump that into electronica...it definitely has some haunting electronic-esque soundscapes with great samples strewn about, especially the new album Untrue. So amazing...One of my top picks of 2007.

Anybody like some Boards of Canada? Their stuff is incredible...Intricately picked sounds step dancing on the electronic pulses of amusement...Indeed. Also, if you are a fan of drumless ambient stuff, check out Stars of the Lid. They make some super awesome textural music that I simply adore. The other Aperion like to clown on my affinity for ambient music, but they just need to come more full circle. I'm telling you the right ambient music at the right time in your day is a beautiful thing. If that's your bag, check out:

Eluvium
Deaf Center
Windy and Carl
The Dead Texan
Brian Mcbride

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm...

mjosef

« Reply #58 on: 22 Dec 2007, 06:47 am »
This might just have been one of the forerunners to the whole genre ...wicked bubbling/throbbing bass lines, marching/halting drumbeats, with allkinds of instrumental distortions floating all over the place.

Hicks

• Aperion Audio
    • Aperion Audio
« Reply #59 on: 27 Dec 2007, 09:21 pm »
This might just have been one of the forerunners to the whole genre ...wicked bubbling/throbbing bass lines, marching/halting drumbeats, with allkinds of instrumental distortions floating all over the place.

Great album, but I'd say it's still more on the funk tip than electronica. 

I'll stick with this one as THE seminal album of the genre:

Boards of Canada?  Yes indeed, especially Music Has a Right to Children and Geogaddi.  I really like how they have an unmistakable and distinctive sound/style that is completely their own.