What power cable is everyone using on their Ultimate power supply?

yo2tup

Just wondering what power cables everyone was using with their squeezebox ultimate power supplies.  I tried a few on mine and each offered a different sound.  I'm using a fully modded sb3 (using the analog outs), mkII ps, and summit umbilical.

Here's how I rank the power cables that I've tried on my mkII and the characterstics that stood out to me:

1) bolder summit with oyaide connectors -   sounded more "live" than any other cable i've tried and had the best bass of the bunch.  (should be noted that when I demo'd this cable, I only had the digital mods on my sb3 and was using a dac)
2) jena labs basic cryo - i think this cable has very good synergy with the mkII.  Very natural and open sounding.  nice holographic imaging.  This is the cable that I'm currently using.
3) black sand violet -  has a "lit up" and exciting sound character, but sounds artificial compared to the two above.
4) iron lung jelly fish - a little unrefined up top, big open sound but 2D compared to the cables above. (not bad for a $24 cable tho :))
5) bolder nitro - seemed to push the soundstage further back and sounded flat compared to the others.  i preferred the other cables to this one.
« Last Edit: 31 Dec 2006, 11:29 pm by yo2tup »

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
I am using a Black Sand Silver Reference MK IV.

It was my favorite out of the following cords:

Bolder Cable Nitro
Argent Audio Brujo
VH Audio Flavor 4 with Furutech Rhodium connectors
VH Audio AirSine with Furutech Rhodium connectors

George

TomS

In order of preference:

1) MAC Delta (no longer in business)
2) Harmonix Studio Master X-DC
3) Cardas Golden Reference
??) Black Sand Violet Z1 (incoming next week)

zybar

• Volunteer
In order of preference:

1) MAC Delta (no longer in business)
2) Harmonix Studio Master X-DC
3) Cardas Golden Reference
??) Black Sand Violet Z1 (incoming next week)

Tom,

Why not go with the Silver Reference instead of the Violet?

George

TomS

Carlman gave me a great deal on a pair of BS Violets that I'll probably use on the  BEL monoblocks.  Assuming I like them I'll probably go for at least one silver.  I still have a hankerin' for the RSA though.

tdangelo

I'm using the Black Sand Silver Ref V4.  I've tried my Sonoran Plateau and I can't really tell much difference between it and the Black Sand(I ended up using the BS because its more flexible  :lol: :lol: )  I've also tried the U2 with the Response Audio RAM and the Guerrilla Audio Juice.  The RSA Haley has the BS V4 too and the U2 plugs into that.

Tony

TomS

oops, I meant Ridge Street Audio above, not RSA (Running Springs Audio).

I'm using the original Mongoose cord (basically Cardas GR) that came with my Haley.  Any thoughts on what moving to the BS Silver Ref did on the RSA Haley?

zybar

• Volunteer
oops, I meant Ridge Street Audio above, not RSA (Running Springs Audio).

I'm using the original Mongoose cord (basically Cardas GR) that came with my Haley.  Any thoughts on what moving to the BS Silver Ref did on the RSA Haley?

I didn't particularly like the Mongoose cord.  I found it overly warm, compressed, and lacking in drive - simply made my system sound dull.

Changing that cord will be a nice boost for the system.

Let us know what you think.

George

TomS

George,

That very accurately describes the Cardas GR cords I have - dull, warm, etc.  I certainly ike their IC's much better than the PC's, though I've been switching those out for Gregg's cables gradually.  I'll have to try one of the BS Violets on the Haley just for fun.

Have you ever tried the Ridge Street Audio PC?

Thanks!

Tom

zybar

• Volunteer
George,

That very accurately describes the Cardas GR cords I have - dull, warm, etc.  I certainly ike their IC's much better than the PC's, though I've been switching those out for Gregg's cables gradually.  I'll have to try one of the BS Violets on the Haley just for fun.

Have you ever tried the Ridge Street Audio PC?

Thanks!

Tom

Tom,

I have never had the pleasure of trying Robert's power cords.

George

Wayne1

Hey Guys,

Great thread. :D

Today, there is only one Summit AC power cable for the Ultimate Power Supply MKII. I have sent it around to a few folks to see what they thought.

I do feel it sounds better with the Ultimate PS MKII than either of the Nitro power cables.

I will be working on the buffer a little more today. If I can make some time, I will try to build a few of the Summit Power Cables to send out for audition. The one I have uses the Oyaide 037 connectors. I just received some of the WattGate Silver AC connectors.

I propose to send out a pair of the AC cables for audition. One cable with Oyaide and the other with WattGate. The cable will be run on the Cable Cooker for a week before shipping out.

Each person must post comment about the cables they received and compared to what they have on hand.

This Summit AC cable is for LOW CURRENT use ONLY. The Ultimate Power Supply MKII is the best choice to use it with.

Do any of you have a preferred length? 3, 4.5 or 6 feet?

TomS

Wayne,

Shorter is fine for me as I have the Ultimate sitting close to the outlets when using the 6' Summit DC cable.

Tom

zybar

• Volunteer
I would prefer 6' to allow for maximum flexibility, but I could do as short as 4' if necessary.

George

Wayne1

The pair of 6' Summit AC cables were built today. They are currently on the Cable Cooker for break-in. I will ship them to TomS first.

I believe he is the closest to Colorado.

From there he can send them out to George. Anyone else care to try out these low current power cords?

Maybe someone in GAS?
« Last Edit: 3 Jan 2007, 03:50 am by Wayne1 »

TomS

Wayne,

Thanks - I'll look forward to it.  At the moment I have to resist having too many variables somehow.  I have a pair of Paul's Ronins that arrived tonight, an EE BBA on the way from Bill, and a couple of Black Sand Violet Z1's.  It should be an interesting weekend here.

Oh, by the way, the SB2 has been "cooking" 24X7 for a couple weeks solid now.  It's smoothing out very nicely already and making me very happy.

Tom

DeadFish

I'm interested in giving a listen Wayne.
I have to admit, I have no idea at all what configuration of wire powers that modified supply I got from you, but glad to sample an upgrade.
Every time I think I have about reached the limit of what my ears can resolve with the Squeezebox, you seem able to show me I'm wrong.
Just because this supply isn't an 'Ultimate', it should still show a difference, wouldn't you think?

Bill

TomS

George (and Carlman),

Are you using the BS Silver Ref V on the RSA Haley and (George) the Ultimate MK II? 

I sold a Sound Application RLS that was in the 2ch, but the Haley never got moved from the HT over to the 2ch (yet another variable).  For now it's still sitting there with the Mongoose cord.

Tom

zybar

• Volunteer
George (and Carlman),

Are you using the BS Silver Ref V on the RSA Haley and (George) the Ultimate MK II? 

I sold a Sound Application RLS that was in the 2ch, but the Haley never got moved from the HT over to the 2ch (yet another variable).  For now it's still sitting there with the Mongoose cord.

Tom

Yes.

George

carusoracer

Hello,
Are there any Squeezebox owners near central OH. I would like to hear what all the fuss is about :wink:

tonyptony

Are there any Ultimate Mk.II owners in the greater Philly area willing to let me hear that awesome PS? If by some miracle there is please PM.