What power cable is everyone using on their Ultimate power supply?

DeadFish

On their way to you as we type, Z.
Details in p/m.

I would underline some of what TomS said in particular that each individual sound bore a more distinct outline rather than being 'smooshed' together into THE sound of a piece.  One might ask 'well, how clear can CRYSTAL be?' This was the number one thing that stuck out in my mind, eventually.
Admitedly, I have thought that my Bolder power supply and modified SB3 have raised the bar so high in my systems, to my ears it is purely theoretical that sound could get WAY better in major degrees.  It took listening to the Summit A/C cable and Nitro D/C cable in the system a lot *and then* putting my old cables back in for me to figure out what gains I had been listening to.  I really had major doubts about my aural memory altogether (and my sanity) until I A/B'ed back and forth the last couple of evenings listening. 
Now there are simple confirmed doubts about my sanity...
 :wink:
I found the Summit A/C cable on the power supply to definitely be a step up on *most* configurations of my gear here which were variations of el84, 300b and modified Teac digital amps paired with Altec Bolero and Model 19 speakers.  Other A/C cables I've used in place were the one that came with the power supply, Synergistic Research A/C Master Coupler (which I like), DIY Cable, and one more I've kept around with the name rubbed off.
That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

Regards,
DeadFish

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
I just switched my modded Elpac for mcgsxr's Rev1 power supply in my modded SB 3. There is a difference for sure. I don't want to comment too much, but I notice some more detail retrieval, and more clarity.

I also have one of Wayne's PC's with Bybees in standby. I'm using mcgsxr's PC with the Rev1 at the moment. I also have mcgsxr's "Felicia" power supply, and will try that as well. Maybe Wayne can comment and clarify just which PC's I have. I'll try and get some more time with the Rev1 and PC swapping over the weekend and give my thoughts here.

So far pretty interesting.

DeadFish,

I was thinking the exact same thing as you. Just how clear, can clear be? Apparently it can be even clearer. I'd really like to hear the Ultimate PS now. Fun, fun...

Cheers

yo2tup

I don't know why it makes a difference.  From my experience it just does...  I'd like to leave it at that.  If you want to to discuss the why's and how's, there are plenty of other threads to discuss that, but please leave this one alone  :)

tigzstudio

• Norah Jones Rocks!
If you folks want to believe some big fat fancy PC is going to make a difference when it's connected to the transformer via that skinny
piece of internal wiring, you go right ahead.  8)

Come on man dont be lame.  Go start a thread somewhere and talk to yourself in it.   :lol:

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Any comments from the others that have tried the summit cables?

I have a couple black sand silver ref MKV's coming my way.... should be fun  :D

I will be comparing Wayne's cords to the Black Sand MK V and a special Violet.

George

yo2tup

Any comments from the others that have tried the summit cables?

I have a couple black sand silver ref MKV's coming my way.... should be fun  :D

I will be comparing Wayne's cords to the Black Sand MK V and a special Violet.

George

Keep us updated  :D  Whats the special Violet?

jrebman

Keep us updated  :D  Whats the special Violet?

I believe it's the Violet with high grade Oyaide connectors.

yo2tup

I just got a couple of black sand silver ref mkV.  They're brand new and I like them so far  :thumb:  In the ultimate power supply they sound better than the cords I currently have on hand which include the black sand violet, jena labs basic, vhaudio flavor 4 w/ rhodium connectors.  The mkV's are brand new, so I only have a couple hours on them.   Do these require much burn-in?     

Double Ugly

I just got a couple of black sand silver ref mkV.  They're brand new and I like them so far  :thumb:  In the ultimate power supply they sound better than the cords I currently have on hand which include the black sand violet, jena labs basic, vhaudio flavor 4 w/ rhodium connectors.  The mkV's are brand new, so I only have a couple hours on them.   Do these require much burn-in?     

Congrats on the new cables.  :thumb:  I replaced every PC I had with Silver Ref Mk.Vs, and I have no regrets.

As for break-in, the answer is yes.  It took mine about two weeks before they settled-in completely, and I think zybar had a similar experience. 

Point being, as good as they sound now, they're only going to get better!  :wink:

yo2tup

Congrats on the new cables.  :thumb:  I replaced every PC I had with Silver Ref Mk.Vs, and I have no regrets.

As for break-in, the answer is yes.  It took mine about two weeks before they settled-in completely, and I think zybar had a similar experience. 

Point being, as good as they sound now, they're only going to get better!  :wink:

thanks  :D  what type of changes did you hear after two weeks...they sound so good already  :thumb:

I didn't really know what to expect from the silver ref mkV.  I ordered them more out of curiousity than anything.  The Silver Ref. MKIV didn't fair too well in comparison to the Violet in the 22 cable review on head-fi, and there aren't many reviews out there on the MKV.  But when I put the mkV in my system.....betters highs and bass, more natural tonality, deeper soundstage was heard right away.  If it gets any better after two weeks, I'll be very happy  :)
« Last Edit: 1 Mar 2007, 06:11 pm by yo2tup »

Double Ugly

thanks  :D  what type of changes did you hear after two weeks...they sound so good already  :thumb:

I didn't really know what to expect from the silver ref mkV.  I ordered them more out of curiousity than anything.  The Silver Ref. MKIV didn't fair too well in comparison to the Violet in the 22 cable review on head-fi, and there aren't many reviews out there on the MKV.  But when I put it in the MKV....better highs, more natural tonality, deeper soundstage, and better bass  was heard right away.  If it gets any better after two weeks, I'll be very happy  :)

It's been a while, so forgive me if this seems vague, but essentially what you'll get is more of the same goodness you're hearing now. 

As I recall, bass performance will continue to improve, but I think the continued improvement of the extension, clarity and 'realness' of the highs is what surprised me most.  I knew they were good after an hour in the system, but I was sold after 2 weeks.

As for comparisons to the Violet or any other cable, I'd take it just as I'd take my own comments; with a grain of salt.  Too many factors are involved (how each of us hears, equipment used, rooms vs. headphones, etc.) to lend too much credence to others' reports.  What I *do* know is what *I* hear, and I know John happens to consider the Silver Ref his best cable.

The former is all I need to make my determinations.  The latter is just icing on the cake.  :D

-Jim

daj

• Industry Participant
  • Old enough to know better
    • JansZen Electrostatic Loudspeakers
Who can explain the mechanisms involved in how a power cord might effect the sound? 

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
....  can on floor, worms everywhere

Double Ugly

Who can explain the mechanisms involved in how a power cord might effect the sound? 

Is your question germane to the topic? 

If not, I respectfully suggest you pose it in a thread of your own in a more appropriate circle.

TomS

If not, I respectfully suggest you pose it in a thread of your own in a more appropriate circle.
Don't even nibble.  This has been a good thread thus far.

daj

• Industry Participant

Don't even nibble.  This has been a good thread thus far.

Yep, I admit I already know it's inexplicable, and yah, I really shouldn't come here, but seeing the topic headlines, it's like knowing the person next to you is about to slip on ice, and the pressure is on to just get out of the way and let it happen.

For the few that are still not be completely taken in, it is not possible that the last few feet of power wire can have any impact compared to hundreds of miles of power company wire and transformers and switches and contactors and junctions, the home wall wiring, circuit breakers, and junctions, where the audio gear is already protected by actual circuitry, not just wire, in the form of regulated power supplies that reject power disturbances, and built-in power filters and surge suppressors that soak up transients and noise. It's simply not possible, like filling your tank with gasoline from a blue hose instead of a black one can not make your car run better. A person can easily be convinced that the blue hose has this effect, but that doesn't alter the reality.

Let's say it is possible, but modern physics can not explain it. Where's the neutral data from double blind A/B testing? We're not going to find any, because this is precisely the type of spurious effect that proves that one can seem to hear things that are not real. Recognizing the truth of this type of effect is how you maintain a sense that your ears are fallible. This is how one maintains a sense of reality and guards against exploitation.

sts9fan

These are happy people with too much money leave them alone...nobody is being hurt.

daj

• Industry Participant
These are happy people with too much money leave them alone...nobody is being hurt.

W.C Fields would love that.

Wayne1

daj,

Your comments trying to "save" people from spending money on cables are not needed in this thread.

I would appreciate it if you do not add any more comments. I believe everyone participating in this thread so far can hear a difference in their own systems between power cables.

It is their own money they are willing to spend. Not yours.

If you wish to discuss the particulars about power cables, please do so in the general forums or over in the Lab.

Thank you,
Wayne

TomS

I have a bumper sticker on our horse trailer that says "Driver carries no cash.  All spent on horses".  True enougn - just substitute addiction of choice for "horses"  :D  Logic doesn't always apply.