What power cable is everyone using on their Ultimate power supply?

TomS

Both new Summit AC's arrived from Wayne today.   One of them went on the Ultimate right away.  The other is waiting in the wings.

Current setup is the full mod analog SB2 playing through the Sonic Euphoria PLC, mono BEL 1001's to the Nomad Audio Ronins, Reality Cable IC's and speaker cables, Cardas Golden Reference power cords on the amps, plugged into an RSA Haley conditioner with a MAC Delta power cord.  As it is, this is already a very transparent yet musically satisfying combo.  After a week of constant tweaking, the Ronins are settled into the right spots and really sounding great.  I was honestly very comfortable with how far they had come in my short time with them.

Then, I dropped in the Summit AC cord in place of the Black Sand Violet Z1 on the Ultimate MKII.  I knew something was up, but decided to let it play the rest of the day to settle in, just listening a few minutes along the way.

Later, while listening to Keith Jarrett's Carnegie Hall concert (again and again), I knew immediately there was just more there, that feeling that someone cleaned the windshield a bit.  As usual, there is a lot going on in the performance/recording with KJ, the groaner, but the big piano also took on a body and weight it just didn't have before.  The attacks and decays of the notes seem more natural and clearly defined, but I didn't sense any added brightness or harshness creeping in.  It became more obvious what some of the sounds he's making, as well as the plethora of ambient sounds captured from the audience, really might be - as if you were there watching the whole thing unfold.  I'd attribute this to some sort of improvement in spatial specificity, maybe even lowered noise between the sounds.  You are there with the audience.  If you've heard the Ronins you know what I mean, as they are quite amazing at distinctly nailing down the relationships between various sounds within the spaces.  With the Summit cable in place, all of that just became very much more apparent to me.  Bass articulation, at least on the piano, also seemed vastly improved, but I need more time with other music to get a real good feel for that.

Maybe I need to take Wayne's advice and put the EE BBA back in with the other Summit plugged in this time to see what happens.  Hmmm....

I still have a lot more listening to do, but my early view is this cable will be very hard to send on to the next victim.

Tom

yo2tup

Any comparisons with the wattgate summit vs. the oyaide summit?

When I had the oyaide summit, i remember it having the best bass...tightested and most punch.  I just read that the oyaides terminations are known for their bass, so I'm wondering how the wattgate summit compares.

TomS

I honestly can't tell much difference between the two yet, but the Wattgate has stayed in longer for whatever reason.

TomS

I can also say that going back to either the Black Sand or the Cardas GR I have on hand kind of blurs the whole image in a fuzzy kind of way.  With the Bolder it just snaps back into focus.  Bass also seems to be a bit better articulated in the lowest end.  That could also be my SB2 caps continuing their break in.

rajacat

• Washington State
A little OT.How many hours do you have on your break-in?

TomS

The SB2's been running about 4 weeks full time.  I've probably had the Ultimate a couple of months running full time.

rajacat

• Washington State
I've had my SB3 full mods/platinum upgrade running about 2 weeks full time so I guess I have a way to go. It's interesting how the center of the sound stage continues to fill in as the break-in proceeds.

TomS

I heard it as a kind of a smoothing out.  Things that called attention to themselves previously don't do so now, particularly in the mids.  It's much more homogeneous (and pleasant).  With the Ronins and the new power cord together, the individual instruments and/or vocals were almost like they were distinctly outlined spatially.  Each had it's own place.  Bass just continues to gradually improve across the board.

Wayne1

TomS,

I am glad you are enjoying the power cables  :icon_twisted:

When you are ready to send them on, I think the GAS boys should be the next stop.

I am having an Ultimate PS MK II without Bybees sent to Scott F for an audition.

Sarmck (from GAS) bought FreeJazz Ultimate PS MKII with Bybees.

DeadFish has a Basic and I think bpape has a Basic Rev1. With all of those AND all the different DC cables AND the AC cables, they should have a good time gear swapping.

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
You're right Wayne.  That could be a whole night just in and of itself! 

Bryan

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Just don't forget to eventually send it my way for a spin in the new system.   :wink:

George

TomS

Wayne,

As much as I hate to see them go, just tell me where to send them in email or pm.  I think I could probably have them to St. Louis for the weekend if I send tomorrow or Wednesday.

Tom

Wayne1

Tom,

Why don't you send them on to Deadfish.

I hope the ICE out there will have melted enough for the GASers to be able to get together and have a listen to all the toys.

DeadFish

Tom,

Why don't you send them on to Deadfish.

I hope the ICE out there will have melted enough for the GASers to be able to get together and have a listen to all the toys.

Sounds good to me. 
I only yesterday got my 'more resolute' system up and running again, and it would be appreciated to add to the mix.
I've yet to chat with Scott on this, but I know Sarmck has his Ultimate2 PS and assorted goodies already.
It's just engineering a chance to get us together... weather permitting.   We'll also have 3 variants of DC cable, given Sarmck's Summit, the loaner Nitro and whatever it is that came with my power supply.  (I definitely want to hear what other's ears hear here...)
Looking forward to it!

DeadFish

TomS

No problem.  I'll try to get them out to him Wednesday evening after work.  Tom

yo2tup

Wayne,

Can I get on the demo list.  I'd like to try the summit again now that I have the analog mods.   :)

Wayne1

George will be next after the GAS group is done with them.

You can have them after he is done.

yo2tup

cool  :)

yo2tup

Any comments from the others that have tried the summit cables?

I have a couple black sand silver ref MKV's coming my way.... should be fun  :D

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
George will be next after the GAS group is done with them.

You can have them after he is done.

Any idea when that might be?

I have to travel tover the next two weeks so I won't be able to listen to anything until the first full week of March.

George