Eastern Electric BBA

Bill O'Connell

• Industry Participant
  • Retired . Music Lover
Eastern Electric BBA
« on: 30 Dec 2006, 04:57 pm »
 If anyone is interested in trying our new tubed BBA the first 10 emails from verified members will have the opportunity. if you would be so kind to post your findings good or bad this would be appreciated.
 We think it is a truly wonderful piece and the old concept of less is more will be reversed. Having used this between my Dac fed Squeezebox and preamp, between cd player and pre, between preamp and amp, and preamp to subs, you would have many options  to try this piece where ever you choose. I'm currently running 3 of these at the same time and the versatility to adjust sound is incredible.
  These are brand new in the box ,so when first using your system will sound like a transistor radio for the first 4 hours then your soundstage will reappear and after a long listening session of lets say 12 hours you will begin to hear its virtues.
 I will pay for insured shipping to you, you will be responsible for insured shipping returned if you decide to return. Please return after 30 days of auditioning. if this sounds like something you would like to try please email me at
bill@morningstaraudio.com

I'll ship on Tuesday  Jan. 2nd so you should have them in possession for the weekend.

Happy New Year everybody, May the Lord bless you & yours in Spirit and in health this coming year.

May Love alwys abide,
 Bill

mca

Re: Eastern Electric BBA
« Reply #1 on: 30 Dec 2006, 05:22 pm »
The The Eastern Electric BBA or "The Universal Audio Interface" is the missing link in any chain of audio components. "BBA" stands for "Buffer Booster Amplifier" and is the latest product from Eastern Electric.

There is more info on Bill's website.

Bill O'Connell

• Industry Participant
  • Retired . Music Lover
« Reply #2 on: 30 Dec 2006, 10:05 pm »
The The Eastern Electric BBA or "The Universal Audio Interface" is the missing link in any chain of audio components. "BBA" stands for "Buffer Booster Amplifier" and is the latest product from Eastern Electric. The design objective of the BBA is to address one of the most difficult and often overlooked issues in High Fidelity audio. Components, even those from the same manufacturer, are "stand alone" devices with their own particular input and output impedances, differing input sensitivities and overload parameters, various output voltage levels, and sometimes with non linear gain characteristics in their volume potentiometers and attenuators. Because of conscious choice, or circumstance, many audiophiles and music lovers have a number of separate components in their audio system.

In fact, one of the joys of being an audiophile is "mixing and matching" components in an everlasting quest to achieve a combination of units that is "just right" in their own system. Music lovers want to cross over the line beyond mere sound reproduction so that they can experience musical magic. Very often, it is actually an electronic mismatch between components that fuels an audiophile's urge to "upgrade" their equipment or is the cause of a music lover's dissatisfaction with the sound they are hearing. Until now it has been a trial and error process to achieve system synergy that transcends the electro-mechanical aspect of sound reproduction.

The BBA is an active device specifically designed to provide an optimal electrical match between any combinations of audio components. It can be used:

Between a CD/SACD/DVD player, Digital to Analog Converter (DAC), Tuner, or phono preamp and the main control preamplifier.
Between the main control preamplifier and a power amplifier.
Between a CD/SACD/DVD player, DAC, Tuner, or phono preamp and a power amplifier without a control preamplifier. (Note: there is just one input)
It has been rigorously tested to ensure that it will work with audio components having input impedances ranging from 100k ohm to as low as 600 ohm, and with input sensitivities varying from under 100mV all the way up to 10V. The BBA can work with power amplifiers with input impedance as low as 600 ohm, which would be a nearly impossible task for most commercial preamplifiers, whether solid state or tube. The buffering circuitry uses two 6BM8/ECL82 combined triode/pentode and one 6X4/EZ90/U707 rectifier tube and has its own active volume control.

The BBA will not alter the overall tonal characteristics of your existing system but it will eliminate dull or dark sounding music reproduction that is missing dynamic contrast and detail. You will be amazed at how this versatile component will open up the sound stage and add vibrancy, emotion, and musicality to your audio experience.

It is a unique solution that belongs in every High Fidelity system.

Specification

• Maximum input: 6 V
• Gain: 0dB to +18dB
• Input Impedance: 220K ohm
• Output Impedance: 800 ohms- 10K ohms
• Signal to Noise: 95dB to 85dB
• THD: 0.1%
• Frequency Response: 10Hz - 100KHz
• Power consumption: 35VA
• Measurements: (W x H x D) 6.5 inches X 5 inche X 11.5 inches

Please don't confuse this with other tube buffers :nono:, it is so much more :drool:

Hope this helps in the explanation.

Happy New Year!!!! :D

Bill.

carusoracer

« Reply #3 on: 30 Dec 2006, 10:11 pm »
Check PM

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #4 on: 30 Dec 2006, 10:18 pm »
Bill,

So if this went between a SquuezeBox and an amp, what exactly are the potential benefits (besides being able to increase the gain of SB2)?

If you could provide more info around the benefits it would be easier to decide if it is worth an audition.

Thanks,

George

flaneb

« Reply #5 on: 31 Dec 2006, 02:56 pm »
I bought a BBA when it first came out. I was skeptical at first since my system sounds superb. I first inserted the BBA
from my EE minimax pre (highly modified) and a red wine sig 30 feeding omega super hemps. I first determined there was
no harm done in any parameter.  Once warmed up and settings adjusted the sound was more full while detailed.
There was just more "there" there. I then tried it between my benchmark Dac 1 and the ee pre amp, again it just
sounded better. I took it to another system going between an EE pre and a pair of bi-amped meridians. Midrange and
lower end improved. I put in a tung sol 6x4..better yet.
In my main system I am feeding multiple single drivers with individual amps (most level adjustable). This is were the
BBA is just superb in allowing really fine turning individual levels. I also tried between a mark levison 380s and a krell ksa200
feeding linn spkrs, results again better. Any place I put the BBA, I preferred the sound with the BBA. I know this
sounds too good to be true, all I can say is the I have ordered another BBA.
I have spent more than 40 yrs loving music. My background is engineering/recording with a emphasis on digital data transmission.
Bill O'connell is great to work with and I would be happy to discuss this anytime via the phone.
I know I listed alot of equipment but I have been buying audio since the 60's but I really feel the a BBA will make
anything sound better. Strong words I know and BTW I have no affiliation with Eastern electric, I have just found they make
great affordable equipment.
Music lives forever, people don't, listen now.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 31 Dec 2006, 03:07 pm »
I will be trying a BBA between my Bolder modified (analog) SB2 and the Moscode 401HR.

I will post my thoughts after spending some time with it.

George

TomS

« Reply #7 on: 31 Dec 2006, 03:17 pm »
Bill - email sent

flaneb

« Reply #8 on: 31 Dec 2006, 03:21 pm »
I forgot to add Happy New year may this be the best yet
regards
Frank

bacobits1

« Reply #9 on: 31 Dec 2006, 04:11 pm »
I will also be getting one to try in my system.
My system has been ALL EE Mini Max for almost the last year. Including the Mini Max 8 watter Amp, Phono pre,Updated Pre and CDP.
This system is already extremely nice. I have been very happy with it. Thank you 6 Moons.
It should be interesting.
I will post the results.
Thanks Bill!

D

mca

« Reply #10 on: 31 Dec 2006, 05:05 pm »
I also have one on the way. It will go between my Bolder modded SB3 and my Response Audio Bella Extreme 3205 amp.

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #11 on: 31 Dec 2006, 05:51 pm »
Bill has graciously offered to send one up for us to audition at the Amp Comparo the TAAS will be having in late January. We'll try it between a Bolder modded SB 3's analog outs into a variety of amps. We'll report our thoughts and findings.

Thanks Bill.  :thumb:

Cheers

Wayne1

« Reply #12 on: 31 Dec 2006, 06:56 pm »
Bill is also going to send one out to snowy Colorado. I will compare it to the Burson Buffer already on the way to me from Down Under.

Thank you very much, Bill.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #13 on: 31 Dec 2006, 07:28 pm »
Looks like lots of Wayne's SB2/SB3 customers are going to try the BBA...should be interesting to see if we all hear the same characteristics and improvements.

Thanks again Bill for making this happen.

George

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #14 on: 31 Dec 2006, 07:39 pm »
Yeah, should be interesting.  :thumb:

Cheers

TomS

« Reply #15 on: 31 Dec 2006, 10:01 pm »
I'm in too.  Thanks alot Bill for offering this.  It should get really interesting with all the different combo's.

srclose

« Reply #16 on: 31 Dec 2006, 10:23 pm »
I'm in as well.  EA Off-Ramp Turbo 2, modded DAC60, SonicEuphoria, Dodd 120s, Epiphany 12/12.

flaneb

« Reply #17 on: 1 Jan 2007, 03:30 pm »
I hooked up my second BBA, I put it between the benchmark dac 1 and the EE pre. This is going
to a EE minimax 8 watt and a pr of hornshoppe horns with the new driver. It was immediately apparent
the improvement and I think offers the biggest bang. i.e. between a digital and a pre.
The effect was a huge increase in sound stage and openness.

regards Frank

Bill O'Connell

• Industry Participant
  • Retired . Music Lover
« Reply #18 on: 2 Jan 2007, 02:19 pm »
Thanks to all who have responded. 10 units are going out today. Hope you all enjoy and look forward to your impressions in all the different systems.

Later,
Bill

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #19 on: 4 Jan 2007, 01:24 am »
Looks like I will have mine delivered on Friday.   :thumb:

George