Eastern Electric BBA

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Re: Eastern Electric BBA
« Reply #60 on: 15 Jan 2007, 08:05 pm »
I am still trying to figure out the best combinations on the unit, so I am not quite ready yet to post any thoughts on the sound.  Hopefully by the end of the week I will have a good enough handle to post some comments.

I will echo what others have said about the BBA - there is PLENTY of gain when used between a modified Squeeze Box and an amp.  I also noticed that the unit gets fairly warm (I assume this is normal and not something wrong with my unit).  Has anybody else noticed this?

George

TomS

« Reply #61 on: 15 Jan 2007, 08:07 pm »
George - yes mine gets very warm.  I left in on the top shelf for more air.

Deanh

« Reply #62 on: 15 Jan 2007, 08:14 pm »
yes she does get a little toasty, almost wish it had been desighned with an open mesh cage that was easily ( those little screw seem to SPRING outa their sockets) removed to facilitate said rolling... :thumb:

launche

• ...on being an audiophile...no.
« Reply #63 on: 15 Jan 2007, 11:03 pm »
Anyone tried the BBA as a preamp yet?

I did some listening this weekend with the BBA as the preamp and it was most enjoyable.
Caught myself listening to Madeleine Peyroux and swore I was listening to Billie Holiday.  The BBA just had this sound that took my mind off the particulars of the music.  It may not have been the most accurate, with my settings, or most revealing but it was damn good listening. I just wanted to get some hot chocolate and settle in for awhile. Aww hell I gonna say it, midrange o' mama.  Can only imagine what some nice NOS tubes would sound like. The only thing I could find to sniff at was slightly rounded bass but it was not an issue really (FWIW, BBA still breaking in).  Plenty of gain on tap too. 

That session's combo:

BBA (as Preamp)
Music Reference 13EM7 SET Amp
Minimax CD player
Omega MaxHemp Speakers

bacobits1

« Reply #64 on: 23 Jan 2007, 08:34 pm »
Pretty quiet here.

A few more comments. I have about 70 hours on the BBA and during that time I have heard changes from "what happened?", to "ahhhh". It has consistantly sounded better after an hour warm up and yes it does run warm. I do not hear any changes when I turn it on now. I have all NOS Mullard in now. 6X4 and 2 ECL82.I have Herbie's Tube HalO's on all the tubes as well. Still using my Cryoed Asylum PC.

The NOS tubes have been a little more liquid sounding as they had sounded when in my amp. The unit is still placed between my Mini Max Pre and Mini Max amp. All wiring is still Solid Silver 3 braid from Home Grown Audio. I have some Elemental "Musical II" Interconnect coming. Although everything is sounding better than it ever has on my vinyl I plan to try this cable on the Mini Max Phono. I'm detecting a bit of aggressiveness on some vinyl. May just be an adjustment on the BBA between sources.

No problems on bass here. Bass seems to be very articulate but, I'm also using a Sub. I have adjusted nothing on the Sub. It integrates perfect. I'm noticing drum kits and cymbals sounding very powerful at times and organic adding to that PRAT experience. Larger orchestra is just dynamic and real as on Diana Krall, Come Dance with Me. This, all on 6" single driver speakers.

I did take the unit out for a few hours. Although my system sounds great without the BBA I did have to return it in the system. I like this realistic presence it adds to so many recordings.

Music listened to:
CD
Bette Midler Sings the Peggy Lee Songbook
Bette Midler Sings the Rosemary Clooney Songbook
Diana Krall From This Moment On (Come Dance with Me, Outstanding!!)
Spyro Gyra Wrapped In A Dream
FourPlay Heartfelt
Michael Buble'  Come Fly with Me
Lorenna  McKinnett, everything

Vinyl
Earl Klugh Life Stories >>This is my vinyl VTA setup album
Sade Diamond Life , Promise, Stronger than Pride
Atlanta Rhythm Section Champagne Jam
Steve Miller Band Fly Like an Eagle
Pieces of a Dream First album
John Klemmer Finesse
The Best of the Doors
Bob James Hands Down
Steely Dan Greatest Hits

Lots more music but, all these are kick ass recordings made even better!

Den

« Last Edit: 23 Jan 2007, 09:49 pm by bacobits1 »

Deanh

« Reply #65 on: 31 Jan 2007, 08:04 pm »
ok guys...apparently 10 units were sent out which leaves no excuses for the lack of feedback barring climatic apocolypses, good bad or ugly feedback will be appreciated...I for one am now a firm beleiver...love this unit, fleshes out details previously subdued without adding harshness...and this on a pretty spendy system may convince me to buy an additional for my m520 system. I am curious about how it will react with web-based ( and not wishing to offend...as this is from a guy that just figured out how to return e-mails...lol ) systems such as the squeezebox...

bacobits1

« Reply #66 on: 31 Jan 2007, 08:28 pm »
I agree, I have been waiting for more comments. I'm sure Bill is too.
Since I have been stuck temporarily on the 'Vampire Shift" I have done a lot of listening the last month.

The BBA does enhance many things and I like it.
It's changes are more than a tube or cable change.
I do recommend it. I would have never thought of buying any of the other "tube buffers".
Decware, Musical Fidelity etc.

Den
« Last Edit: 31 Jan 2007, 08:46 pm by bacobits1 »

carusoracer

« Reply #67 on: 31 Jan 2007, 09:06 pm »
I have not concluded a formal review but some of the things I believe that the unit has in its favor is wonderful warm setting like sitting by the fire on a cold snowy night with your favorite recordings and beverage with no particular place to go :thumb: You can just listen to music for hours...

I would like to try a different power cord and some other main tubes as the stock tubes can become a little too slow and warm on various recordings. It does not roll off the highs but it will soften them somewhat. It will also soften the botten end but not make it woolly. This is just in my system and with stock tubes. If I had the two main tubes to roll and a different PC I could complete.

As it stands my best observation is adding full body to a lean system. Not bloated but more shapely. It will certainly match any impedance characteristics but I would like a little more scientific means of matching? Sometimes the ear is not always the ultimate match for mechanical values if one wants to achieve an ideal synergy among components.

This is just my simple observations. I would think that any gain issues are easily dispatched of and sound ultimately can be tailored to any effect or mood one so wants to achieve.  I would recommend it for anyone to try in their own system as it is the only way to hear its attributes. I for one liked it 8)

PS..Hey Bill send me a PM.

Deanh

« Reply #68 on: 31 Jan 2007, 09:29 pm »
finally some responses, interesting too. Interesting quote about the rolloffs on the high end, I haven't noticed that and the ribbons I have attract bats ( 40k...) BUT saying that I did tube roll so that may be the answer, Two telefunkens and a Mully 6x4...I can't leave the rolling alone and have a tendency to stick with several tried and true brands...I have also only tried the BBA between the pre amn main amp, mentioned to bill today, i may make note of settings then switch it to between the CD ( another EE product ) and the pre...so i will keep all informed, would really like to know where the gizmo makes the most difference before i anti up for another...hahaha

bacobits1

« Reply #69 on: 31 Jan 2007, 09:55 pm »
Can people list what equipment they are using it with?
No rolled off highs here. All NOS Mullard tubes used. I have not gone back to the originals.
Messing with some cables now.

D

Deanh

« Reply #70 on: 31 Jan 2007, 10:20 pm »
EE minimax pre, nos tubes inclunding a Genelex u707 ...eeek$$$$, EE CDP w Amperex, rogue Zeus amp with different then stock 12au7's and 12ax7's, Magnepan 3.6's, Martin Logan descent sub,  connects all Kimber Kcag, speakercable Kimber Monocle XL ( bi-wire ) Shakti this shakti that, bedeni green pens etc etc...the BBA is between pre and amp again w diff tubes...tweek-aholic. Now I'm contemplating different pwer cords..it's never ending...

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #71 on: 31 Jan 2007, 10:25 pm »
I'll try and get some more time with it in the next week or so and give it a more critical listen. It does get really warm though. It does have a ton of gain. More than the Burson Buffer that I had in my system.

But in all fairness, I haven't done enough back and forth trials to give it a fair review. I'll follow up shortly.

Cheers

Deanh

« Reply #72 on: 31 Jan 2007, 10:33 pm »
very curious as to how it compares with the Burson, truth be said i have never heard of the burson until this thread my only other experience with a buffer of any sort was with a cylindrical musical fidelity back in the dark ages...and IT was non adjustable... 

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #73 on: 31 Jan 2007, 10:47 pm »
Unfortunately, the left channel is out on the Burson that Wayne sent me, so I won't be able to compare. It's on it's way back to him.

Cheers

Deanh

« Reply #74 on: 31 Jan 2007, 11:02 pm »
curious doesn't burson come from Australia? In which case there is NO doubt it reverses polarity.....even water flushes differently down under...hahaha

launche

« Reply #75 on: 31 Jan 2007, 11:44 pm »
Can people list what equipment they are using it with?

D

Anyone tried the BBA as a preamp yet?

I did some listening this weekend with the BBA as the preamp and it was most enjoyable.
Caught myself listening to Madeleine Peyroux and swore I was listening to Billie Holiday.  The BBA just had this sound that took my mind off the particulars of the music.  It may not have been the most accurate, with my settings, or most revealing but it was damn good listening. I just wanted to get some hot chocolate and settle in for awhile. Aww hell I gonna say it, midrange o' mama.  Can only imagine what some nice NOS tubes would sound like. The only thing I could find to sniff at was slightly rounded bass but it was not an issue really (FWIW, BBA still breaking in).  Plenty of gain on tap too. 

That session's combo:

BBA (as Preamp)
Music Reference 13EM7 SET Amp
Minimax CD player
Omega MaxHemp Speakers

bacobits1

« Reply #76 on: 31 Jan 2007, 11:55 pm »
But, but, that is the same thing you said on the 15th ???????????? :scratch:

launche

« Reply #77 on: 1 Feb 2007, 12:36 am »
But, but, that is the same thing you said on the 15th ???????????? :scratch:

Sorry, just restating to answer your request.
And in case folks were just tuning in.

Also using the BBA with:

Gallo Reference 3.1
Paradisea DAC
Cayin 70 watt tube amp
Promitheus TVC

For this combo, the BBA used between the Amp and TVC helped add body and drive.  The BBA does a great job of helping drive the Gallo woofers and kicked bass up a notch, the likes of which I thought it might take 200-300 SS watts to do (without activating the Gallo's second voice coils.)  This configuration really benefits with the BBA in the mix.  Makes me ponder the need for the Gallo sub amp vs the BBA in terms of this system's benefit and flexibility.

carusoracer

« Reply #78 on: 1 Feb 2007, 01:21 pm »
Hmmm.Please re read post. I don't think I said that the highs are rolled off :nono:

I did also mention I do not have any NOS main tubes to swap, only the 6x4 :dunno:

I too have the Gallo Ref 3's and have a SS Amp. IMHO, I do not believe that I truly heard what the Gallo's are capable of until I bought the Sub Amp. I'm still learning more about it's settings with experimentation. It is a very critical piece that completes the puzzle. You can tailor the settings to your room deficiencies and tastes 8) I would highly recommend getting one.

Cheers

launche

« Reply #79 on: 1 Feb 2007, 04:55 pm »
Carusoracer,

I agree the Gallo sub amp is the missing piece to the puzzle.  I don't have one but did borrow one for a while and worked with it and was very pleased by the results.  I was just stating that for me the BBA, given the dollar investment, would be a more flexible choice given that I feel it aids the Gallo's bass (not to the same effect and adjustability as the sub amp) and benefits the rest of the system as well being a multi-position component.  So given that they are roughly the same price, in that case I would buy the BBA first.