Eastern Electric BBA

bacobits1

Re: Eastern Electric BBA
« Reply #40 on: 9 Jan 2007, 03:20 pm »
Well since you asked, I was going to hold off on a better more complete review. This is an E Mail I had sent to Bill yesterday.

I have a few observations on the BBA after about 25 hours use.
>> Before the BBA arrived (Thank You) I thought I had maxed the system out
>> as is. It has been really damn good with my single driver Brines FT1600II
>> Speakers, HSU Sub etc. I thought the only changes different, or better I
>> could make would be in wires or changing components outright. The NOS
>> tube$ choices are taken care of already.
>>
>> The BBA does things very similar to 2 things I have had in the not too
>> distant past.  The synergy created  by the Paul Speltz Autoformers and the MFA Magus B Pre I had in combination with the Decware Sig Monos on the same speakers. I sold my
>> Audible Illusions M3A 3 years ago when I acquired the mint condition MFA
>> Magus B. I thought the AI M3A was nice but, solid state sounding.
>> The Speltz Autoformers on the Decware Sig Monos brought that emotional
>> magic to the music.The Monos like to see a load of  4 Ohms or less and
>> also increase in power. The Magus was a great Pre. It has 2 balance/gain
>> controls along with the main volume control. The Autoformers and these
>> controls had some of the same effect on the music as the BBA. I did say
>> "some" of the same effect.
>>
>> I now have the BBA between my MM Pre and MM Amp.
>> The BBA is absolutely breathtaking especially on my Vinyl in combination
>> with my MM Phono Pre. It was that good. So, I sat there last night with my mouth open. It
>> is like getting that extra 9th degree of VTA set, but still more.The dynamic swings were all there and without congestion or strain of any kind. Truly impressive. It was
>> like that on the MM CDP too. It sounded like a different DAC when
>> connected direct to the BBA. This was much more than any cable, tweak, or isolation device added, although all the  Herbies are highly recommended.
>> The speakers disappear in a way that make the instruments and musicians
>> 3D! Very fleshy, round, and real presence that I had not heard that way. All good stuff.
>>
>> More to follow, much more!

Did I like it? Hell yea!
I wish it had more inputs with a selector switch.
Bill says buy more than one. LOL!
He uses 3 BBA.

D

My system is all EE Mini Max. 8W Amp, Pre, Phono Pre, and CDP. Brines FT1600II Single driver no crossover, MLTL Speakers (93db). All wired with Home Grown Audio Silver, Kimber 8TC Speaker Cables. Power cables are all Cryoed Asylum recipe.  Herbies on all tubes, Herbies tender feet and ebony Domes under everything. Table is a Basis 1400, Benz Glider, RB300 incognito, Michele Techno Weight all  on a 50lb granite slab on Herbies again. All NOS tubes and I have had the system about a year.
« Last Edit: 23 Jan 2007, 09:00 pm by bacobits1 »

sts9fan

« Reply #41 on: 9 Jan 2007, 03:42 pm »
where do you have the dials set at? What is the input impedance of the componet you are feeding with the BBA?

bacobits1

« Reply #42 on: 9 Jan 2007, 03:56 pm »
The gain dial is set to 1 O'clock, the volume 1:30.
From the specifications:
Mini Max Pre output impedance 100k Ohm (Correction 1.5k)
Mini Max Amp input impedance 120k Ohm

The BBA is between the Pre and the Amp to benefit the whole system. No tube rolling yet. I have GE/ England 6BM8, Phillips ECL82, Mullards, and Cryoed older Russian Winged "C". 6X4, I have Haltron, Mullard, Brimar, TungSol, RadioTechniqe, France, RCA.

D
« Last Edit: 10 Jan 2007, 11:03 pm by bacobits1 »

Deanh

« Reply #43 on: 10 Jan 2007, 08:05 pm »
I have actually found I like to vary the settings dependent on the music preference. Because I run the sub from the pre also and the BBA is linked between the pre and main amp, I can juice up the bottom end by raising the pre's volume pot and backing off the volume on the BBA thus boosting the bottom end at my will and claim. The gain I have just left at about 1.30. I came to this setting by experimentation with the sub turned off. As for using multiples...I would never get to work...that is too many variables...

Steve Eddy

• http://www.q-audio.com
« Reply #44 on: 10 Jan 2007, 08:36 pm »
Mini Max Pre output impedance 100k Ohm

Is that a typo? 100k ohm OUTPUT impedance?!?!

se

TomS

« Reply #45 on: 10 Jan 2007, 08:47 pm »
The EE BBA specs are 800R to 10k output and the EE Minimax pre is 1.5K according to the morningstar audio site.

Steve Eddy

• http://www.q-audio.com
« Reply #46 on: 10 Jan 2007, 08:53 pm »
The EE BBA specs are 800R to 10k output and the EE Minimax pre is 1.5K according to the morningstar audio site.

Ah, ok. Thanks. That makes more sense. Perhaps bacobits1 was looking at the input impedance.

se

Bill O'Connell

• Industry Participant
  • Retired . Music Lover
« Reply #47 on: 10 Jan 2007, 08:56 pm »
The MiniMax preamp linestage output impedance is now 700 ohm

carusoracer

« Reply #48 on: 13 Jan 2007, 05:04 am »
I have read several posts regarding placement. Have others been experimenting?

I ran the BBA between Pre Amp and and Amp but now back to Placement between CDP and PreAmp. I have EE Minmax Pre and it has some very nice vintage tubes, 60' U707 Gold Lion, 59' Valvo Hamburg, 63' Mullard 10M w/Gold pins.
 My thought was to have the path between that component in the audio chain direct to benefit the most?
OTOH, I'm burning in some Bendix Redbank 6385's on my Shanling T200A. Several valves in the mix here..Any thoughts,comments...The Only rollin' in the BBA is a 61' Tungsol

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #49 on: 13 Jan 2007, 12:54 pm »
I am finally putting mine into the system today.   :singing:

George

Bill O'Connell

• Industry Participant
  • Retired . Music Lover
« Reply #50 on: 13 Jan 2007, 01:55 pm »
A BIG Thank You to John Cook of Back Sand Cable as he has graciously offered to send a couple of his Silver MKV powercords along with a couple of his Chromium powercords for me to try out after I contacted him through email. :thumb: After Wayne had mentioned that the BBA benefits from a better powercord, I started searching  and ran across the thread here at AC on the Black Sand powercords. Can't wait to try these.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #51 on: 13 Jan 2007, 02:29 pm »
A BIG Thank You to John Cook of Back Sand Cable as he has graciously offered to send a couple of his Silver MKV powercords along with a couple of his Chromium powercords for me to try out after I contacted him through email. :thumb: After Wayne had mentioned that the BBA benefits from a better powercord, I started searching  and ran across the thread here at AC on the Black Sand powercords. Can't wait to try these.

I am using a Black Sand Silver Max Mk IV on the BBA.

George

TomS

« Reply #52 on: 13 Jan 2007, 02:30 pm »
I've done all my listening with a Black Sand Violet Z1 on the BBA (didn't even hook up the stock cord), but unfortunately I don't have access to and haven't heard the Silver myself. 

I hope to swap in one of Wayne's new Summit AC cords today to see if that improves things.  If it's anything like what happened on the Ultimate MK II (also had a BS Violet Z1 on it) it could certainly change things. 

It IS frustrating to think every time you add a device in the chain with an AC socket, you need $500+ worth of AC cord to get the most out of it, especially when that component costs about the same as the cord itself like the BBA, Bursen, etc.    My Sony/Modwright 999ES took 2 cords all by itself.  It really makes me want to reduce the number of devices just so I don't need so many AC cords.  If I can consolidate the devices, THEN I'm more willing to spend money on one really good cord (Summit, BS Silver, Ridge Street Audio, etc).  Of course, the same applies to extra IC's and mechanical isolation so I suppose I just need to get used to it.

Sorry, this is definitely NOT a knock on your product Bill, just general whining :scratch:.

Tom

launche

• ...on being an audiophile...no.
« Reply #53 on: 13 Jan 2007, 04:43 pm »
Haven't had time to do alot of listening, tried to give the BBA several days of burn in.  First off the unit is alot more substantial in weight than I anticipated, with good build quality and nice EE fit and finish.

I also have the Musical Fidelity X-10 V3 tube buffer that I use on occassion depending on the gear involved.  So I was anxious to try the BBA for comparision.  I've always thought the X-10 V3 would be great with a volume control.  Well the BBA meets that expectation.  Just from initial listening the BBA goes above and beyond the X-10 V3.  Mainly in the area of shear adjustability for fine tuning.  As far as the sound quality, it's a harder comparision due the adjustable nature of the BBA vs the fixed levels on the X-10.  I tried to do a level match (not too indepth) and the BBA appeared to be more extended on both freq. extremes providing abit more across the board but both units I felt had a slight tube rounding of some notes, which is a listener preferable thing.

The Musical Fidelity buffer units are pretty successful units, some have their opinions for the pros and cons but in many systems I can surely see them being of benefit.  So if the Musical Fidelity buffer is a Stereophile Class A rated product and has sold something like 45,000 units then the BBA has a bright future.  It is more expensive but much more flexable, offering great ability for fine tuning and the option to be used as a preamp in some systems.  From those standpoints the additional cost can be considered viable.

X-10 V3 Tube Buffer
Specifications

Input impedance: 470K Ohms
Output impedance: < 33 Ohms
Total harmonic distortion: < 0.004% 10Hz to 20kHz
Frequency response: 20Hz to 65kHz +0, - 0.5dB
Crosstalk: Better than 80dB, 20Hz to 20kHz
Signal / noise ratio (reference full output): Better than 93dB unweighted
Better than 106dB 'A'-weighted
Valve (tube) type: 6112 twin triode (two)
Power requirement: 24VAC 500mA (via mains adaptor supplied)
Dimensions (approximate): 180mm (7.1 inches) wide
(3.5 inches) high including feet
(8.6 inches) deep including rear terminals
Weight: Unit, net (5 lbs 8oz) un-boxed, Adaptor, net  (1 lb)
Total packed (6lbs 13oz)

BBA
Specifications

• Maximum input: 6 V
• Gain: 0dB to +18dB
• Input Impedance: 220K ohm
• Output Impedance: 800 ohms- 10K ohms
• Signal to Noise: 95dB to 85dB
• THD: 0.1%
• Frequency Response: 10Hz - 100KHz
• Power consumption: 35VA
• Measurements: (W x H x D) 6.5 inches X 5 inche X 11.5 inches

More to come...

95bcwh

« Reply #54 on: 13 Jan 2007, 08:37 pm »

It IS frustrating to think every time you add a device in the chain with an AC socket, you need $500+ worth of AC cord to get the most out of it

Oh .much more than that.. you also need a dedicated line for each component, then a power conditioner for each component....and then you need to try as many interconnects as possible to find the best match....so it's not all that simple..  :green:

TomS

« Reply #55 on: 13 Jan 2007, 09:00 pm »
Yeah, I been switching stuff all day 'cause I didn't have quite enough of everything.  I'm doing my best to only change one variable at a time, but you need a lot of parts.  With the two Black Sand PC's, two Bolder PC's, EE BBA, Ultimate PS, that's a lot of combo's to try.  I also only have two sets of Reality IC's, so now that the Merlins/SBAM are back in (the Ronins left today  :( ), I had to put Cardas IC's back in the mix (yet another variable) and start over.  Then there's matching levels with the BBA vs. Sonic Euphoria, and the gain/volume settings.... :duh:

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #56 on: 13 Jan 2007, 09:28 pm »

Oh .much more than that.. you also need a dedicated line for each component, then a power conditioner for each component....and then you need to try as many interconnects as possible to find the best match....so it's not all that simple..  :green:

You don't need a dedicated line or power conditioner for each component, you just need to think a little bit outside the box.  Instead of dumping more and more money into "audiophile" products, why not look elsewhere?

Put something like this MGE product (http://www.mgeups.com/products/pdt120/powerc/tpz100/t100.htm) right at the start of your AC chain and you might be stunned at the results.  A friend has done this in his very high-end system and thinks it is much better than any of the expensive power conditioners he has previously used.

BTW, the MGE 5kVA units runs around $600 + installation charges by your electrician. 

Sorry to move us off topic - back to the BBA.

George

Bill O'Connell

• Industry Participant
  • Retired . Music Lover
« Reply #57 on: 14 Jan 2007, 07:03 am »
I've never been a powercord kind of guy. I did build some powercords using Furutech ends and stuck some of that 6gauge Lowes 19 strand copper wire to the ends as I liked the Lowes wire as speaker cable and thought  what the heck I'll try these as powercords.I've been using these 5 powercords along with a Cardas goldenCross for years now. When I used the BBA's I used the stock powercords that came with the BBA and never gave it a second thought. Since John of Black Sand was nice enough to send a few cords I thought it would be interesting to try. Wayne has also offered to send me a couple of his cords which is so nice of him.  I will be having my SB modified by him as I was just using the stock SB with the walmart power supply also. I'm just a beginner with this digital stuff as analog has been my pleasure of choice as digital seemed to be lacking up until the last couple of years.
 Dedicated lines and a BPT Sig+ have been holding down the duties for clean AC at the O'C homestead. Are they a necessity for enjoying the music? No, but it helps as do a lot of other variables,PC's,IC's,room treatments,tubes,sexy wife, :oops:etc...  I know I asked to have the BBA critiqued but please don't forget to turn off the critical listening mode every once in a while and just enjoy the music. :D

sts9fan

« Reply #58 on: 15 Jan 2007, 05:38 pm »
I am still enjoying this unit does anyone else have an update? 

Deanh

« Reply #59 on: 15 Jan 2007, 07:43 pm »
sorry still getting the hang of this thread stuff...anyway, try rolling some Teles in the BBA, popped those in w a Mully 6x4...MAGIC! the Magnepans came to life. Next up perhaps better power cords..man this gets spendy...