Promitheus TVC passive preamp anyone?

tanchiro58

Re: Promitheus TVC passive preamp anyone?
« Reply #2160 on: 16 Sep 2007, 03:57 am »
Nicholas just emailed me last week to let me know that his C-core output transformers will be available in October. Therefore, he seems to be okay just too busy with his new products.

dem626

« Reply #2161 on: 16 Sep 2007, 08:55 pm »
I just recently got my dual box TVC.  Anyone know how to use the ground lug on the back of the units?  I have a little hum and was wondering if grounding would help.  Just don't know what to ground them to.  What are you guys doing?
Doug

guest1632

« Reply #2162 on: 17 Sep 2007, 09:12 am »
I just recently got my dual box TVC.  Anyone know how to use the ground lug on the back of the units?  I have a little hum and was wondering if grounding would help.  Just don't know what to ground them to.  What are you guys doing?
Doug

Hi Doug,

You take that ground lug, and take a wire with a connecter pin and plug that in to say the third prong of your AC outlet. Hopefully your house is grounded correctly.

Ray

dem626

« Reply #2163 on: 17 Sep 2007, 12:28 pm »
Ray, thanks for the help. I was thinking that it needed to be connected to my amp somehow.
Doug

guest1632

« Reply #2164 on: 17 Sep 2007, 12:55 pm »
Ray, thanks for the help. I was thinking that it needed to be connected to my amp somehow.
Doug

Hey no problem. Just enjoy the TVC.

Ray

Cincy_bob

« Reply #2165 on: 20 Sep 2007, 02:18 am »
Well, today I received the BHP that I had ordered from Speaker City last week, and, this evening, I had a go at the TVC modification that Ray Bronk so kindly descibed in this thread about a month ago.  And I am pleased to report that I did not incur any discernible damage to my TVC in the process!

The changes in the sound of the TVC brought about by the BHP damping mod are subtle but important.  The sound is now more natural, relaxed and composed.  By comparison, before the mod, the TVC could sound a bit "high strung" and a just a touch "ragged around the edges" in difficult peak passages.  I believe there is also now less of a tendency for the treble frequencies to become strident on recordings that tend toward brightness.

All in all a very successful tweak for a non-techie like me.    :D

Ray, thanks so much for your detailed instructions without which I would not have known where to start!

As a point of reference, I am currently at 200 hours of run-in and counting...
« Last Edit: 20 Sep 2007, 12:24 pm by Cincy_bob »

SoundQuest

« Reply #2166 on: 23 Sep 2007, 03:31 am »
Just made a disappointing discovery yesterday. 

Lo and behold, yesterday where powering down the system, I noticed that the left volume knob and right volume knobs were switched, i.e turning up/down the left knob increased/lowered the volume of my right speaker and vice versa. 

An email to Nick followed thereafter and he was gracious enough to offer a swap. 

Well, I received the Apollo from Nick about 2 weeks back and was happily burning in the unit slowly.  I am very, very pleased with the Apollo and am looking forward to this giant killing pre-amp as a main stay in my system for years to come.  Now, I will have to work out with Nick on how to rectify this minor setback.

NewBuyer

« Reply #2167 on: 23 Sep 2007, 04:23 am »
...I noticed that the left volume knob and right volume knobs were switched, i.e turning up/down the left knob increased/lowered the volume of my right speaker and vice versa...I will have to work out with Nick on how to rectify this minor setback.

Can you just swap the input cables at the back of the unit?

AudioBear

« Reply #2168 on: 23 Sep 2007, 07:42 am »
...I noticed that the left volume knob and right volume knobs were switched, i.e turning up/down the left knob increased/lowered the volume of my right speaker and vice versa...I will have to work out with Nick

Mine was the same, but I just reversed the connections to my power amps, which of course did the trick.

jenhwa

• It's a good day to die !!!
« Reply #2169 on: 23 Sep 2007, 04:18 pm »
Just got my preamp aa, and yes they are c cores.  :drool:

see photos http://www.flickr.com/gp/13888462@N05/CU6869

Gaara

« Reply #2170 on: 23 Sep 2007, 04:22 pm »

Please explain, did you order them knowing you were getting C core or did you get a surprise when they arrived?  Was the price higher due to the C-cores? 

Thanks.

Jared

jenhwa

« Reply #2171 on: 23 Sep 2007, 04:25 pm »
yes the price is higher, had to email nicholas for the pricing.

Whitese

« Reply #2172 on: 23 Sep 2007, 04:26 pm »
wow nice!!!

Where did u find the ebony that you placed under the tranny?

smccull

« Reply #2173 on: 23 Sep 2007, 04:27 pm »
Has anyone tried one of these?

http://www.dagogo.com/EasternElectricBBA.html

Looks like it might be a perfect match for bringing a little tube bloom to the Promitheus. I've debated adding the Promitheus tube buffer but this one from EE seems to be more adaptable.

Thoughts?

Steve

jenhwa

« Reply #2174 on: 23 Sep 2007, 04:31 pm »
the ebony was included by nicholas. i only added the damping sheet,
and thought a pictorial guide would be easier then describing it in words.

wow nice!!!

Whitese

« Reply #2175 on: 23 Sep 2007, 04:33 pm »
the ebony was included by nicholas. i only added the damping sheet,
and thought a pictorial guide would be easier then describing it in words.

wow nice!!!

Its a great looking setup....I wonder that and his tube amps intrigue me..

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #2176 on: 23 Sep 2007, 07:05 pm »
Has anyone tried one of these?

http://www.dagogo.com/EasternElectricBBA.html

Looks like it might be a perfect match for bringing a little tube bloom to the Promitheus. I've debated adding the Promitheus tube buffer but this one from EE seems to be more adaptable.

Thoughts?

Steve
There is a thread on the BBA....here.... :thumb:

Cincy_bob

« Reply #2177 on: 24 Sep 2007, 12:54 am »

jenhwa, do you have the Reference version of the Promitheus TVC to compare/contrast against your new Signature (i.e., double-C core) version of the component?

mcullinan

« Reply #2178 on: 24 Sep 2007, 01:04 am »
the tvc preamp is a rated B component on this years Stereophile component list!
mike

SoundQuest

« Reply #2179 on: 24 Sep 2007, 01:11 am »
Well, I could but it wouldn't be perfect.  This may be picky but I felt that it is a glitch which should be corrected.  Nick, as always was kind and gracious to do a swap and this is great customer service.  Thanks Nick.

...I noticed that the left volume knob and right volume knobs were switched, i.e turning up/down the left knob increased/lowered the volume of my right speaker and vice versa...I will have to work out with Nick

Mine was the same, but I just reversed the connections to my power amps, which of course did the trick.