Promitheus TVC passive preamp anyone?

Whitese

Re: Promitheus TVC passive preamp anyone?
« Reply #2100 on: 9 Aug 2007, 11:33 am »
Thanks guys!! eventually I did arrive to that connection righteousness when i went to the website and read that there are 2 output sets of RCA's.

Jos, I originally thought also that the Buffer took away more than it added....I think the tvc is so clear, fast and dynamnic, that messing with it probably wont be good at the beginning.   But with this redwine amp, which is also clear/fast/dynamic, it might fit in better.

Whitese

« Reply #2101 on: 9 Aug 2007, 04:39 pm »
Ok, let me make this clear....The TVC, buffer and an amp like the Redwine Clari-T is a freakish awesome combination.  system still has all the speed, dynamics and clarity but now with a bit more flesh to the music...

:thumb: :green:

AudioBear

« Reply #2102 on: 10 Aug 2007, 07:26 am »
Whitese,
If I use just the TVC or the TVC in combination with Nick's buffer the sound is somewhat dull but this works OK for me.

Jos do you have the vCaps bypass capacitors? It might be worth trying if not, to open things up. I've also changed the capacitor in the power supply and the one in the pre-amp unit which is not bypassed, with Black Gates. Not that I doubt Nicks choice, just that I had some spare and I know them well.

Also have a play with tube rolling the rectifier tube - this will change the sound of the buffer and can be used to fine tune your system. You could also change the 6n1p's, but if you get good ones they are pretty neutral, transparent and non-microphonic - so I'm tempted to use the power supply valve as a means to vary the sound.

Having said that Rollo was using the 7308's - which are very nice and long life valve, (10,000 hrs), but expensive for good versions. Also, I've not checked the vplate voltage on the buffer, but the 7308 would die much more quickly if that is 200-220V - it prefers 100v. Perhaps Nick could help here and save me taking the buffer to bits again during it's burn in.

I've got a pile of rectifier tubes, some NOS RCA brown base 5ar4's, NOS Phillips Miniwatt (GZ34), NOS Mazda 5Y3GB, some Sovtek 5ar4's and others. (What I don't have is the original 5Y3 as mine was broken on delivery - no problems - but my 5Y3GB is indirect heated so is a different valve. I'll try and get a normal 5Y3 as means of comparison.) I mean to test them out soon, just got to let the capacitors run in for some more hundred hours. As I guess I'd say the 5ar4's would give a bit more bass and treble - but I don't know for sure.

guest1632

« Reply #2103 on: 10 Aug 2007, 08:17 am »
Whitese,
If I use just the TVC or the TVC in combination with Nick's buffer the sound is somewhat dull but this works OK for me.

Jos do you have the vCaps bypass capacitors? It might be worth trying if not, to open things up. I've also changed the capacitor in the power supply and the one in the pre-amp unit which is not bypassed, with Black Gates. Not that I doubt Nicks choice, just that I had some spare and I know them well.

Also have a play with tube rolling the rectifier tube - this will change the sound of the buffer and can be used to fine tune your system. You could also change the 6n1p's, but if you get good ones they are pretty neutral, transparent and non-microphonic - so I'm tempted to use the power supply valve as a means to vary the sound.

Having said that Rollo was using the 7308's - which are very nice and long life valve, (10,000 hrs), but expensive for good versions. Also, I've not checked the vplate voltage on the buffer, but the 7308 would die much more quickly if that is 200-220V - it prefers 100v. Perhaps Nick could help here and save me taking the buffer to bits again during it's burn in.

I've got a pile of rectifier tubes, some NOS RCA brown base 5ar4's, NOS Phillips Miniwatt (GZ34), NOS Mazda 5Y3GB, some Sovtek 5ar4's and others. (What I don't have is the original 5Y3 as mine was broken on delivery - no problems - but my 5Y3GB is indirect heated so is a different valve. I'll try and get a normal 5Y3 as means of comparison.) I mean to test them out soon, just got to let the capacitors run in for some more hundred hours. As I guess I'd say the 5ar4's would give a bit more bass and treble - but I don't know for sure.

hi guys,

I have an offtopic tube question for you. I'm thinking about a little preamp that has 6922 tubes in it. I'm told that you can replace them with 6n1p's? Any comments. We can certainly move this to another thread, or rather than bore everyone including the moderator, you can just PM me.  I don't know anything any more about tubes. It's been a long time. 

Ray Bronk

AudioBear

« Reply #2104 on: 11 Aug 2007, 07:09 am »
...I'm told that you can replace them with 6n1p's? Any comments....

6922 I think is a better 6DJ8 and I believe could be replaced with the 6n1p in a pre-amp. You could also look at the 7308 which is part of the same family. The 7308 is better than the 6922 in terms of microphonics and noise.

I think the 6n1P is pretty clear and transparent - at least with good versions, but many prefer the 6922/7308. I've yet to hear a good 6922/7308 so I cannot make any comparisons, but it on my (long) list of to-do's.

Hope this helps?

tanchiro58

« Reply #2105 on: 11 Aug 2007, 07:30 am »
6922 I think is a better 6DJ8 and I believe could be replaced with the 6n1p in a pre-amp.

Have you considered the We417A or 5842 in a preamp? I heard they are good tubes too.

Gpj

« Reply #2106 on: 27 Aug 2007, 02:42 am »
Test. Is there anybody out there?

Early B.

« Reply #2107 on: 27 Aug 2007, 02:52 am »
Gee, I suppose after the Rollo debacle, interest in discussions about Promitheus appears to have waned, as evidenced by the lack of posts here for the past two weeks.

Nic -- once again, you need to acquire your own circle in AudioCircle. You don't wanna become irrelevant.

Whitese

« Reply #2108 on: 27 Aug 2007, 03:01 am »
i have the active buffer here in south GA for whoever was next in line.....rollo sent it to me, and I emailed and PM'd nick about it weeks ago, and havent gotten a response..anyone knows?

PromitheusAudio

• Promitheusaudio
« Reply #2109 on: 27 Aug 2007, 05:48 am »
Early
Thanks for the comments and the suggestion
I have started the process, hopely they would grant my request

Whitese
will contact you offline to arrange transportation
THanks

nicholas
Promitheusaudio

PromitheusAudio

• Promitheusaudio
« Reply #2110 on: 27 Aug 2007, 05:52 am »
the quiet time as also allow me to play around with some new tube amps
Here are some pics of the first monoblock amp out
Triode wired El34 with interstages transformers

« Last Edit: 27 Aug 2007, 02:46 pm by PromitheusAudio »

Early B.

« Reply #2111 on: 27 Aug 2007, 11:46 am »
Nic --

Please tell us more about those tube monoblocks. What's the wpc? When will they be available for purchase? Do you have a pic of the guts?

Thanks.

PromitheusAudio

• Promitheusaudio
« Reply #2112 on: 27 Aug 2007, 02:50 pm »
Early
THe watt per channel is 20watts.
Its a Class A current source differential output stage
Triode wired
Interstage coupled
6N1P driver
Svetlana el34
NOS allen Bradley resistors
Choke supply

We are selling this for USD800+shipping.
This are ready for sale on this wednesday, when i put this on the webpage

Forgotten to take some pics of the gut, will do so when I put it up on the webpage

Whitese

« Reply #2113 on: 27 Aug 2007, 02:53 pm »
those look great!

KT

« Reply #2114 on: 27 Aug 2007, 02:54 pm »
I've been following this thread with interest for some time, now.

I'm curious how many folks who were initially wowed by the TVC still feel the same way, or if people went back to something else.

I don't own the Promithius TVC, but I do have a Dave Slagle AVC, and it had some qualities that I really enjoy. In my system, anyway, I found most satisfaction with a highly tweaked Cary SLP-94 active linestage. It just worked out better in my system.

I suppose the buffer adds some of this tube magic to the sound. I'm just wondering if after the honeymoon period with the TVC, you still find that it's the unit that's still your #1 choice.

Best,
KT

PromitheusAudio

• Promitheusaudio
« Reply #2115 on: 27 Aug 2007, 03:00 pm »
And here are some pics of the Single Ended 300B amp we are also launching on wednesday
Shown here with my AVVT 32B

PromitheusAudio

• Promitheusaudio
« Reply #2116 on: 27 Aug 2007, 03:04 pm »
KT
I know where you are coming from
But there are some people's system that must use an active preamp and some people system i have visited must use just a passive( resisitive or transformer)
I guess its system sygnery

I think it boils down to your amp and speakers. If the amp is not dynamic enough then the active would work
And of course it comes down to music choice or even the tube choice you use

Say

« Reply #2117 on: 27 Aug 2007, 03:09 pm »
Amps look nice Nic. Keep up the good work. Also saw your new powercord on the web page for the first time. Good choice of oyaide connectors. Could you tell us more about it. Is it shielded? What is the ground leg made of?

Randy

« Reply #2118 on: 27 Aug 2007, 03:51 pm »
KT, I am stilled wowed by my second generation balanced TVC which I got about Oct. 1 of last year, ordered shortly before this thread got started. (I saw one of Nick's postings on another board.)  No buffer needed here. I have no inclination to look elsewhere.

tanchiro58

« Reply #2119 on: 27 Aug 2007, 05:35 pm »
here are some pics of the Single Ended 300B amp we are also launching on wednesday
Shown here with my AVVT 32B

Nicholas,

What kind of tube inputs and rectifiers(5AR4, 5R4 or U52, 5Y3...?) are you using? Could the amps use with WE300B and how is the sound going to be? Have you tested? Thanks.