Promitheus TVC passive preamp anyone?

Early B.

Re: Promitheus TVC passive preamp anyone?
« Reply #2120 on: 27 Aug 2007, 06:26 pm »
I'm curious how many folks who were initially wowed by the TVC still feel the same way, or if people went back to something else.

The thought of changing out the TVC is absolutely out of the question. The only reason I would consider it is for an "upgraded" TVC sometime in the future. In fact, I'm kicking myself for not iniitally ordering mine with XLRs.

GHM

« Reply #2121 on: 27 Aug 2007, 06:48 pm »
Those amps do look very inviting!!  :drool:
I also find the honeymoon is no where near over. A good friend in my area and I both own the Promitheus TVCs. Neither one of us have looked at another preamp since we heard this one. That was last year. No buffer needed here as well. I'm through with looking for preamps unless I need a replacement TVC. :lol:

I would love to hear those tube amps on the other hand! :D

Early B.

« Reply #2122 on: 27 Aug 2007, 06:54 pm »

Yeah, I'd love to hear those amps, too. I'd probably need more power, though, for an HT application.

guest1632

« Reply #2123 on: 27 Aug 2007, 08:38 pm »
Early
Thanks for the comments and the suggestion
I have started the process, hopely they would grant my request

Whitese
will contact you offline to arrange transportation
THanks

nicholas
Promitheusaudio

Hi Nicholas,

Glad to see you back on the circle. Yeah, I am in agreement. You need your own circle. I'm more than happy to help moderate it.

Ray

saxtrack

« Reply #2124 on: 27 Aug 2007, 09:46 pm »
Hi,

I am wondering if it would make sense to modify the TVC with Lundahl or Jensen transformers. Would that be possible? Did anyone think about it or even tried something like this?

Forgive me if this should already have been discussed in this thread. It´s soo loooong.

guest1632

« Reply #2125 on: 27 Aug 2007, 10:16 pm »
Hi,

I am wondering if it would make sense to modify the TVC with Lundahl or Jensen transformers. Would that be possible? Did anyone think about it or even tried something like this?

Forgive me if this should already have been discussed in this thread. It´s soo loooong.

Hi, Don't think so. There were other trafos discussed, but Nick's are pretty good. I don't know if he's gonna try the double C core. Now that's supposed to be one nice trafo.

We'll have to see what Nick says or does.

Ray

Atwood

« Reply #2126 on: 31 Aug 2007, 04:17 am »
Someone mentioned the "Rollo debacle." Why did he drop out of this discussion? One minute he was touting an all-Promitheus system and the next he's gone back to his active pre-amp. I'm curious only becasue I'm thinking of ordering some Promitheus gear.

guest1632

« Reply #2127 on: 31 Aug 2007, 05:31 am »
Someone mentioned the "Rollo debacle." Why did he drop out of this discussion? One minute he was touting an all-Promitheus system and the next he's gone back to his active pre-amp. I'm curious only becasue I'm thinking of ordering some Promitheus gear.

Hi Atwood,

You have a PM.

Rollo had gone back to the active stage, because he wanted to see if he still felt about it, versus the TVC. I think he did mention that the TVC has the detail, but with the active stages added it gave that extra tube warmth.

Others have found this to be a mixed bag.

I'd certainly look in to getting a TVC. Don't think you'd regret it. I'd get the one with the 4 inputs and two outputs, along with the dual controls. The Ebony knobs do come in handy smoothing out things a bit.

Ray

PromitheusAudio

• Promitheusaudio
« Reply #2128 on: 31 Aug 2007, 11:46 am »
Amps look nice Nic. Keep up the good work. Also saw your new powercord on the web page for the first time. Good choice of oyaide connectors. Could you tell us more about it. Is it shielded? What is the ground leg made of?

Say
The power cords are made out out Oyaide P-037 connectors
the Live, Neutral and Earth are all the same material
They are a monocrystal braid with a rectangular copper(instead of round). This are good for 20A circuits.
And they have a nice outer shield too
Hope this helps

PromitheusAudio

• Promitheusaudio
« Reply #2129 on: 31 Aug 2007, 11:49 am »
here are some pics of the Single Ended 300B amp we are also launching on wednesday
Shown here with my AVVT 32B

Nicholas,

What kind of tube inputs and rectifiers(5AR4, 5R4 or U52, 5Y3...?) are you using? Could the amps use with WE300B and how is the sound going to be? Have you tested? Thanks.
The tube inputs are using a Siemens Pentode D3a. Nice tube with gold pins. Its triode wired
THe rectifer used is the 5ar4. I notice with 300bs one should use gz34/5ar4 and 5r4 for the sonic reasons
The amps can be used with normal 300b too. But i have not used WE300B as i don't have them in my tube stage YET :D

PromitheusAudio

• Promitheusaudio
« Reply #2130 on: 31 Aug 2007, 11:52 am »
Early

Whitese
THanks

nicholas
Promitheusaudio

Hi Nicholas,

Glad to see you back on the circle. Yeah, I am in agreement. You need your own circle. I'm more than happy to help moderate it.

Ray
Ray
Thanks for the nice thought, i read some stuff from the requirements of the circle i would need to host a Poll to find out whether Promitheusaudio needs its own circle
What do you think  :D

PromitheusAudio

• Promitheusaudio
« Reply #2131 on: 31 Aug 2007, 11:53 am »

Yeah, I'd love to hear those amps, too. I'd probably need more power, though, for an HT application.

I actually used it for HT when i did a non-stop watching Prison Break Season 1 to take my mind of audio for a while

PromitheusAudio

• Promitheusaudio
« Reply #2132 on: 31 Aug 2007, 11:55 am »
Nic --

Please tell us more about those tube monoblocks. What's the wpc? When will they be available for purchase? Do you have a pic of the guts?

Thanks.
Early
Here is a picture of the internals

rather poor picture with my camera phone

guest1632

« Reply #2133 on: 31 Aug 2007, 03:09 pm »
here are some pics of the Single Ended 300B amp we are also launching on wednesday
Shown here with my AVVT 32B

Nicholas,

What kind of tube inputs and rectifiers(5AR4, 5R4 or U52, 5Y3...?) are you using? Could the amps use with WE300B and how is the sound going to be? Have you tested? Thanks.

Hi nick,

When are you coming out with the double core TVC?

Ray
The tube inputs are using a Siemens Pentode D3a. Nice tube with gold pins. Its triode wired
THe rectifer used is the 5ar4. I notice with 300bs one should use gz34/5ar4 and 5r4 for the sonic reasons
The amps can be used with normal 300b too. But i have not used WE300B as i don't have them in my tube stage YET :D

guest1632

« Reply #2134 on: 31 Aug 2007, 03:13 pm »
Maybe the honeymoon is over for most people regarding the TVC, but I decided I wanted to hear it for myself...my Dual Box arrived yesterday.

So far it's been an interesting listen. I'd say the Dual Box is very revealing (warts and all), but so far I wouldn't say it's fatiguing in that way--yet. The music emerges from total blackness, and the TVC brings my attention to things in the mix I had forgotten about, even at a low volume (although I can't reduce the volume nearly as much as my ARC line stage).

Some of the source material I played seemed a little brighter than it should, but not in an icepick-gouging type of way, just a little tipped up...other recordings sounded excellent. I guess we'll see what happens.

BTW, does anyone know what might take glue off an ebony knob? The knob was taped over during packaging, and now it has adhesive stuck on the top of it.

Hi, Sorry no info on the adhesive, but on the dual boxes, will have to have them working for at least 400 hours for total break in.

Ray

PromitheusAudio

• Promitheusaudio
« Reply #2135 on: 31 Aug 2007, 03:46 pm »
to remove adhesive use cooking oil would be suffice without damaging anything
It also works on price tags that need to be removed

DSK

« Reply #2136 on: 1 Sep 2007, 12:21 am »
Lemon Essence is great for removing gunk off most things. You buy it in tiny bottles for cooking.

tanchiro58

« Reply #2137 on: 1 Sep 2007, 12:44 am »
Nick,

I do not see any prices for your new products EL34 and 300B in your website. Please do not forget the specifications for both too. Thanks.

Regards,
Tan

Say

« Reply #2138 on: 4 Sep 2007, 04:09 pm »
Amps look nice Nic. Keep up the good work. Also saw your new powercord on the web page for the first time. Good choice of oyaide connectors. Could you tell us more about it. Is it shielded? What is the ground leg made of?

Say
The power cords are made out out Oyaide P-037 connectors
the Live, Neutral and Earth are all the same material
They are a monocrystal braid with a rectangular copper(instead of round). This are good for 20A circuits.
And they have a nice outer shield too
Hope this helps

Sorry for posting this late. Labor day weekend and all. :)

Yes, your pc info is informative. Now I'm getting geeked up again. So many nice products coming out from Promitheus Audio. I'm sure I'll be sending you a wish list soon.

guest1632

« Reply #2139 on: 9 Sep 2007, 11:53 am »
Early

Whitese
THanks

nicholas
Promitheusaudio

Hi Nicholas,

Ray
Ray
Thanks for the nice thought, i read some stuff from the requirements of the circle i would need to host a Poll to find out whether Promitheusaudio needs its own circle
What do you think  :D

Hi, I think that's a good idea. Just follow whatever proceedure you'll need to get your own circle. Then, once you have it, I'd be happy to help moderate it. I'd have to discuss whatever my role would be here. I'm still happy with my TVC, and have no plans to get rid of it soon.

Ray