SP Tech and more? speaker comparison coming soon

Carlman

« on: 24 Mar 2006, 02:29 pm »
I've been told by Bob at SP Tech that I should have a pair of Timepiece 2.1's for demo purposes at some point in the not-too-distant future.  I'm guessing it'll be within a month.

I'd like to hear the Salk HT1's also if Bryan in Charlotte is willing to bring them or still has a pair.

If anyone would like to bring a world-class monitor to try, post here and roll it around with the group.  (Claud, want to bring your Merlins?)

I think this will be a most-of-the-day type of event and the only change I wanted to make is speakers.  However, that could change a bit as this meeting shapes up.

Now that my room is well-treated, I feel comfortable that my room is adequate for highlighting differences between speakers.  So, unless someone else would rather host, I'll be happy to have it at my place one weekend in mid-to-late April.

So, let's hear suggestions! :)

BrunoB

Re: SP Tech and more? speaker comparison coming soon
« Reply #1 on: 24 Mar 2006, 03:13 pm »
Quote from: Carlman
I've been told by Bob at SP Tech that I should have a pair of Timepiece 2.1's for demo purposes at some point in the not-too-distant future.  I'm guessing it'll be within a month.

I'd like to hear the Salk HT1's also if Bryan in Charlotte is willing to bring them or still has a pair.

If anyone would like to bring a world-class monitor to try, post here and roll it around with the group.  (Claud, want to bring your Merlins?)

I think this will be a most-of-the-day type of event and the only change I  ...

Hi Carl,

I would love to come to hear the SP and Salk if I could  (I would have brought my speakers).

You guys have fun and don't forget to take pictures !

Bruno

claud

« Reply #2 on: 25 Mar 2006, 10:53 pm »
Bruno, we miss you. If you were in the US, I know you would be at Carl's meet.
Carl, count me in, just set the meet in April. After that, I'm a beach bum. I blu-tacked the Merlins to their stands. If I can remove them, I'll bring them. It would be interesting to hear them in your system.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #3 on: 25 Mar 2006, 11:05 pm »
Hi Carl,
 If I didn't have my own meetings and shootouts going on, I would be happy to send you a pair of the Musica Bella speakers to add to your shootout.
 They are obviously a bit different in nature than what you will have there but it would be very interesting to get a group's thoughts.
 Maybe some other time.

have fun and as mentioned, don't forget pictures!!

NealH

« Reply #4 on: 26 Mar 2006, 02:01 am »
I would be very interested in hearing those Timepieces regardless of whether you have other speakers on hand for comparisons.   Please keep us posted as to developing plans.

hometheaterdoc

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 26 Mar 2006, 07:52 am »
Count me in as always...

I'll need to host my own meet in a couple months.  I put a hurtin' on ye olde bank account to order these in walnut:

http://www.vonschweikert.com/vr7.html

powered by these:

http://www.butleraudio.com/esoteric.php

The A100s should be here Tuesday.  It's going to be closer to a month and a half before I'll see the 7se's... plus break in time.....  I'm looking forward to the end result though :)

claud

« Reply #6 on: 26 Mar 2006, 02:04 pm »
Shane,
Wouldn't that be the ultimate speaker and amp combo you have ever had at your place? What are you going to use for a preamp? Source? This makes two weekends I'll have to miss the beach. I hope the weather's cold.

hometheaterdoc

• Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: 27 Mar 2006, 06:47 pm »
Quote from: claud
Shane,
Wouldn't that be the ultimate speaker and amp combo you have ever had at your place? What are you going to use for a preamp? Source? This makes two weekends I'll have to miss the beach. I hope the weather's cold.

Yes, it will be the most expensive (and hopefully) best performing combo I've yet had on display here.

I'll be using Tact of course for the preamp.  Sources to include audio PC, probably a squeezebox, and a couple players (still working on which ones right now... I'll likely try a few and see which one works best).

sheadlee

« Reply #8 on: 27 Mar 2006, 06:59 pm »
I'm interested...however, I will be out of town April 21-23. So, if that turns out to be your best weekend, then I can't come play.

Carlman

« Reply #9 on: 28 Mar 2006, 08:29 pm »
I have recently learned that I will be out of town the last 3 weekends of April  :o  So, this meeting will have to be in early May.  

I have not gotten an ETA on the speakers so April 8th won't work either.

So, does May 6th or 13th work for anyone?  It will have to be one of those weekends.

Thanks,
Carl

sheadlee

« Reply #10 on: 29 Mar 2006, 02:09 pm »
Carl,

I could do either, but I couldn't get there until around 2:30 (at the earliest)...I'm usually working every Saturday until 3:00...but I can (sometimes) close a bit early.

claud

« Reply #11 on: 31 Mar 2006, 04:41 pm »
The 6th is OK for me, but not the 13th. Sounds like we need Sunday meetings--Sheadlee is a regular.

BrunoB

« Reply #12 on: 31 Mar 2006, 05:36 pm »
Quote from: claud
Bruno, we miss you. If you were in the US, I know you would be at Carl's meet.
Carl, count me in, just set the meet in April. After that, I'm a beach bum. I blu-tacked the Merlins to their stands. If I can remove them, I'll bring them. It would be interesting to hear them in your system.

Thanks Claud.  I would have had been particularly interested to hear the SP Tech because of the 90 degrees constant directivity claim (I have VMPS speakers and  there was a lot of constant directivity discussion in the VMPS circle during the last few  months). So guys, pay attention to the stereo effects, imaging and soundstage of the tested speakers! I'd like to read your comments.

Bruno

NealH

« Reply #13 on: 7 May 2006, 06:56 pm »
What is the date(s) for this Timepiece audition?  Have they been set yet?  I would like to hear these speakers however, I am not in town the 13th through the 21st.  Am I out of luck?

Carlman

« Reply #14 on: 7 May 2006, 09:25 pm »
OK... I just got word from Bob that they ship on Monday.  So, they should be here by the end of the week... I have some family in town next weekend, though... and I'd like to get them situated and dialed-in before I have any critical listening sessions, anyway.. so, I will gladly host a meeting one weekend later in May... I think May 20/21 will work best (sorry Robin Hood) but I may be able to do Memorial Day weekend also/instead... not sure yet... And of course, we could always have 2! ;)

I think it'd be a good time to have a nice BBQ/social gathering so, I would certainly entertain that option also. :)

So, please chime in as to which weekend would work best for you..

Thanks,
Carl

NealH

« Reply #15 on: 7 May 2006, 09:45 pm »
If it's the 20/21st, then I can only be there around 4'ish PM on Sunday.  This may be Ok though, depending on how long you are planning for it to last.   If it's the following weekend (27/28th), then I am in good shape that weekend.

Carlman

« Reply #16 on: 7 May 2006, 09:52 pm »
I'm still waiting on some doors to be installed on that room also.. so, that could slow things down a little.. so, we'll see.
Thanks,
Carl

sheadlee

« Reply #17 on: 9 May 2006, 04:53 pm »
I could do late afternoon on May 20, anytime May 21, anytime May 28, anytime June 11.

Aether Audio

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.aetheraudio.com
« Reply #18 on: 9 May 2006, 06:33 pm »
Guys,

Just to save Carl the trouble of having to inform everyone, if he is willing he has our permission to keep them as long as need be until everyone has a chance to hear them that wants to.  He may not want to string the auditions out too long, but that's up to him because as far as we're concerned, he can have them for at least a couple of months - longer even if there's still real interest and/or desire on his part.

Enjoy! :D
-Bob

PS.  If you guys have some sort of cook-out, have a beer for me will ya!? :beer:

hometheaterdoc

• Industry Participant
« Reply #19 on: 10 May 2006, 04:52 pm »
as long as their isn't a hockey game on (Go Canes!!  Man can the RBC Center get LOUD! :) hehehe), I'm game for whatever.  I'm curious to hear these myself.  

Need any amps or anything to help with flavoring or are we keeping this very, very simple with a listen of the speakers only?  Just checking... be curious what they sound like with the Butler Monads driving them :)