SP Tech and more? speaker comparison coming soon

Double Ugly

« Reply #20 on: 10 May 2006, 05:17 pm »
Quote from: hometheaterdoc
Just checking... be curious what they sound like with the Butler Monads driving them :)

They sound great.

Carlman

« Reply #21 on: 10 May 2006, 06:26 pm »
Quote from: hometheaterdoc
as long as their isn't a hockey game on (Go Canes!!  Man can the RBC Center get LOUD! :) hehehe), I'm game for whatever.  I'm curious to hear these myself.  

Need any amps or anything to help with flavoring or are we keeping this very, very simple with a listen of the speakers only?  Just checking... be curious what they sound like with the Butler Monads driving them :)

With Bob's generous offer to keep them a while, I think we should open this up a bit.... Maybe have multiple amps and/or multiple locations.

So, if you'd like to hear these at my place, feel free to bring any amp you'd like to hear them on.  I'll keep the source and speaker cables the same so there's some consistency.

Also, if you'd like to host to hear what they'd sound like in your room, let me know and I'll bring them with me to your place and you can hook up your megabuck whatever to them and see how they sing!

So, maybe 1 weekend at my place and another weekend at yours?  

My only stipulation would be that anyone who wants to hear the Timepieces in their room also has to host a gathering. :)  That way you have to share the joy... instead of keeping it all for yourself.  :lol:

-C

hometheaterdoc

• Industry Participant
« Reply #22 on: 10 May 2006, 06:54 pm »
Quote from: Carlman
So, maybe 1 weekend at my place and another weekend at yours?

Sounds good to me... I was planning to host a get together anyways soon..... it's just that my VR-7se's are taking longer than expected to get here... VSA is switching to a new, better finishing process from their cabinet shop and my speakers got delayed a bit... I was supposed to have them today, but it looks like a couple more weeks waiting.....  I'm not patient enough for this hobby :)

I've added a few other goodies to the mix recently here... more fun stuff for people to check out when they come over...

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #23 on: 10 May 2006, 07:49 pm »
Hey there Carl,
 Glad to see things are getting close. I think you will be very impressed with these speakers. I have been listening to the Continuums for a while and there is a special magic with that Waveguide.
 One thing I would highly recommend is getting as many hours on them as posible before having others audition. Being new speakers, I would say a minimum of 100 hours with the first 20 or so being normal listening levels before really pushing them.

Double Ugly

« Reply #24 on: 11 May 2006, 12:12 am »
My Timepiece 2.1s arrived today, so Carl's pair shouldn't be too far behind.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #25 on: 11 May 2006, 03:21 am »
Quote from: Double Ugly
My Timepiece 2.1s arrived today, so Carl's pair shouldn't be too far behind.
:guns: ...Double barrel reviews coming soon...... great 8) ....enjoy !!! :dance:

Carlman

« Reply #26 on: 11 May 2006, 06:16 pm »
I'm pretty excited to hear these.  I haven't heard them in about a year and the ones I heard were the 2.0 version playing in a different room, on a different system than my own... (BTW, I still think back to the great time we had! :) Thanks again, NY gang! )

I would have received them today but I couldn't be home to accept delivery... :(  But, I'll have them tomorrow.  They'll be setup and burning in for about a week before any demo's.  I hope the kitties are ready for some tunes while we're at work... ha.

-C

Carlman

« Reply #27 on: 11 May 2006, 11:25 pm »
I got home and the Timepieces were here!  Kind of a surprise but so be it... BIG boxes... photos later....
I'm glad they came earlier than expected.  I'm in complete awe at the sound with no correction and 'eyeballed' placement.  BASS is ginormous, imaging is spot-on with my eyes wide open.  Just wild.  It is tempting to crank it mega loud...

I think they're exposing some weaknesses of the TacT amp, though... Are you listening, Shane?  ;)   You'd be insane not to take a listen to these speakers.  My doors are open... Pretty wild stuff.

Thanks, Bob.  

-Carl

Double Ugly

« Reply #28 on: 12 May 2006, 12:06 am »
I'm in complete awe at the sound with no correction and 'eyeballed' placement. BASS is ginormous, imaging is spot-on with my eyes wide open. Just wild. It is tempting to crank it mega loud...

What you're hearing is precisely why I've done everything I can think of to convince people to audition these speakers.  At $2995 in studio finish, they're 'stupid good' IMHO, especially with the new tweeter and crossover.

The studio finish is a lot nicer than I expected, too.  To me, it gives the impression they were built from a solid piece of rock or concrete.  It's novel to have the occasional surprise that is neither angst-producing nor wallet-lightening.  Good stuff, Bob.  :thumb:

I think they're exposing some weaknesses of the TacT amp, though... Are you listening, Shane?  ;)  

Maybe you should take Shane up on his offer to bring the Monads.  I’ve never heard the TacT amps, but I can vouch for the Monads.  :wink:  

An aside – what’d you think of the packing job?  I've never seen the crating reportedly used by Cain & Cain and perhaps others, but I thought Bob and crew did first-rate job ensuring my speakers weren’t damaged in transit.  Should've taken pictures, but I was in too big a hurry to get 'em up and running.

Aether Audio

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.aetheraudio.com
« Reply #29 on: 12 May 2006, 12:08 am »
Carl,

:mrgreen: -Bob

kyyuan

« Reply #30 on: 12 May 2006, 12:27 am »

An aside – what’d you think of the packing job?  I've never seen the crating reportedly used by Cain & Cain and perhaps others, but I thought Bob and crew did first-rate job ensuring my speakers weren’t damaged in transit.  Should've taken pictures, but I was in too big a hurry to get 'em up and running.

I concur on the nice packing job.  Now I just have to find some time away from the office for some serious listening.  I have yet to hear the speakers since their arrival (Saturday).   :cry:   Of course, I'm also trying to borrow a pair of stands from another Texas Jammer.

Carlman

« Reply #31 on: 12 May 2006, 12:43 am »
Packing was excellent, lots of styrofoam encased in hardboard to reinforce the box shape... I have a photo of the boxes.. just haven't uploaded yet.....  Too busy drinking a beer and listening. 8)

They sound pretty different than the Usher's...  I'm still getting used to it.  My wife's not nuts about the looks and is really against me buying any more 'stereo stuff' but she had some involuntary toe-tapping going on...  who knows, they may eventually get to her...  

I'm curious to see how/if they break in over the next week.  

-C

lonewolfny42

« Reply #32 on: 12 May 2006, 02:45 am »
 I'm in complete awe at the sound with no correction and 'eyeballed' placement.  BASS is ginormous, imaging is spot-on with my eyes wide open.  Just wild.  It is tempting to crank it mega loud...
    ....... :dance: ....Tempted to crank it mega loud....now who does that ? :lol: [/list:u]
      But you don't have to worry....it will sound just as good....loud or soft.....have fun !!!!! 8) [/list:u]
        Chris[/list:u]

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #33 on: 12 May 2006, 03:19 am »
I think they're exposing some weaknesses of the TacT amp, though... -Carl

Carl,

While the TacT amps are good, they aren't great in the stock form.  I am confident that a pair of D-200's would perform better all around than the TacT amp.

I don't want to steal the thread and turn it into a review of the D-200's, but I will say that they are indeed quite good and closer to the DNA-500 than the NuForce 9's ever were.

Now I just need to find time to call Bob...   :o

George

lonewolfny42

« Reply #34 on: 12 May 2006, 03:35 am »
George,
    Whats nice is that Carl has offered others to bring their amps to try with his new speakers....I think thats great. 8) [/list:u]
      Chris[/list:u]

Double Ugly

« Reply #35 on: 12 May 2006, 03:49 am »
Quote from: kyyuan
I have yet to hear the speakers since their arrival (Saturday). :( Of course, I'm also trying to borrow a pair of stands from another Texas Jammer.

Wow...you couldn't find stands for the Timepieces in the two or three months since Bob said he'd build you a demo pair?  No offense intended...just commenting on the fact that you must be one busy dude.  

I'd be going crazy 'bout now if I were in your shoes...knowing what's in those big boxes, reading others comments about them and having no way to set them up properly.  I think a couple of generic plant stands from Wal-Mart might start looking pretty good in the not-too-distant future.

Good luck with your search.

lonewolfny42

« Reply #36 on: 12 May 2006, 03:52 am »
Go ahead laugh....but plastic milk crates work in a pinch.... :lol: (until a proper stand is available).... 8)

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #37 on: 12 May 2006, 03:54 am »
Quote from: lonewolfny42
Go ahead laugh....but plastic milk crates work in a pinch.... :lol: (until a proper stand is available).... 8)

I have used cement blocks from Home Depot with a little blue tak.  Not the prettiest thing in the world, but very solid and pretty darn cheap (less than $20 for a pair).

George

kyyuan

« Reply #38 on: 12 May 2006, 06:17 am »
Wow...you couldn't find stands for the Timepieces in the two or three months since Bob said he'd build you a demo pair?  No offense intended...just commenting on the fact that you must be one busy dude.  

I'd be going crazy 'bout now if I were in your shoes...knowing what's in those big boxes, reading others comments about them and having no way to set them up properly.  I think a couple of generic plant stands from Wal-Mart might start looking pretty good in the not-too-distant future.

Good luck with your search.

- yep...work has been crazy.  I've been doing 15-18 hours a day.

- I'm actually only demoing the Timepiece 2.1 for now.  Hence, no stands yet.  If they're to my liking....hmmmmm, maybe a pair of Continuum 2.5 would be in my future.

Inscrutable

• http://home.earthlink.net/~inscrutabl/index.html
« Reply #39 on: 12 May 2006, 11:07 am »
Carl,
but she had some involuntary toe-tapping going on...
Well, you are still in foreplay mode ... need to build up to an eargasm and she'll stroke the check herself  :)