VMPS will be announcing the BIGGEST development EVER!!!!!

CornellAlum

« Reply #40 on: 24 Aug 2005, 09:51 pm »
I just about died laughing just now, thanks for that :roll:  :jester:  :hyper:  :dance:  :bounce:

ScottMayo

« Reply #41 on: 24 Aug 2005, 10:09 pm »
Quote from: rosconey
biggest development ever :?:

man my dreams have come true-a audio device that helps with penis growth :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

I could say something about sitting yourself on top of a VMPS "Larger", but...

rosconey

« Reply #42 on: 24 Aug 2005, 10:25 pm »
Quote from: ScottMayo

man my dreams have come true-a audio device that helps with penis growth :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

I could say something about sitting yourself on top of a VMPS "Larger", but...

we wont mention the larger tall boy either :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

and i sure as hell aint going to ask how the nickname "big b" came to be :rotflmao:  :rotflmao:  :rotflmao:

kenk

« Reply #43 on: 24 Aug 2005, 10:56 pm »

Do I have be sitting in the "sweet spot"? :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Corbin Johnson

« Reply #44 on: 26 Aug 2005, 01:25 am »
I can't wait to incorporate this latest upgrade, whatever it is.  All the other upgrades thus far have been well worth the money!  I really appreciate that Brian keeps offering all these upgrades at a reasonable price without having to trade up to the latest and greatest version of speaker.  

Not having to worry about what someone else is hearing that I'm not is almost as pleasing as the the outstanding sound I'm listening to now.

Corbin

John Casler

« Reply #45 on: 26 Aug 2005, 01:56 am »
Hi Corbin,

It appears that B, has only the drawings to be finished and he will be forwarding the work to the IP attorney.

I spent a couple hours today listening to things and again it is hard to describe exactly what is happening to the sound.

While it seems smoother, and less edgy, it seems to have "more" detail, resolution, and 3-D qualities to it.

I simply smile and shake my head at the same time (but I don't rub circles on my stomach, walk, or chew gum. :lol:  :lol: )

John B

« Reply #46 on: 12 Sep 2005, 04:13 am »
Well, I try to stay away from early impression enthusiasms these days, but today B delivered the next generation RM30, with the "big development"... :mrgreen:  This ain't your daddy's RM30.  VMPS does have a house sound, one I grew to appreciate with my 626Rs.  The house sound has changed....this is something you've got to hear to believe.   That's all I say.  Time to get back to listening, I may be up all night  :lol:

ScottMayo

« Reply #47 on: 12 Sep 2005, 12:56 pm »
Quote from: John B
This ain't your daddy's RM30.  VMPS does have a house sound, one I grew to appreciate with my 626Rs.  The house sound has changed....this is something you've got to hear to believe.   That's all I say.  Time to get back to listening, I may be up all night  :lol:

Were you comparing old and new RM-30? Or new RM-30 vs. 626?

John B

« Reply #48 on: 12 Sep 2005, 02:41 pm »
Were you comparing old and new RM-30?

You could say that.

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
newtech
« Reply #49 on: 12 Sep 2005, 03:17 pm »
John B is beta-testing a more sophisticated version of the technology that John Casler has installed on his RM 30's last month.  What John B has is very close to what will appear commercially.

Yesterday's listening session at John B's house (with audiophile/retailer Bob B also present) was spectacularly successful, and I was able to spend about half an hour explaining to John the events of the two year gestation period of this marvelous new  technology, one that resolves an important and fundamental issue in loudspeaker performance.

We are about three weeks away from patent filing; the patent search John Casler did for me has not revealed any really competitive prior art.
I think we're good to go on this.

CornellAlum

« Reply #50 on: 12 Sep 2005, 03:35 pm »
B,

Does that mean we are three weeks aw3ay from knowing what it is and when we can get it 8)

jgubman

« Reply #51 on: 12 Sep 2005, 04:18 pm »
Congratulations Brian,

looking forward to hearing these on my RM-40s.

ScottMayo

Re: newtech
« Reply #52 on: 12 Sep 2005, 04:23 pm »
Quote from: Brian Cheney
Yesterday's listening session at John B's house (with audiophile/retailer Bob B also present) was spectacularly successful, and I was able to spend about half an hour explaining to John the events of the two year gestation period of this marvelous new technology, one that resolves an important and fundamental issue in loudspeaker performance.

I've had girlfriends that teased less than this!

Give us a hint. Is it a treatment to a speaker, a new kind of driver entirely, or the industry's next Bybee filter? Inquiring minds are eyeing an array of delicate RM/x midrange panels and wondering how much this is going to cost, and what I could possibly do to a thin, intricate piece of engineering that wouldn't, say, totally ruin it.  :o

ctviggen

« Reply #53 on: 12 Sep 2005, 04:33 pm »
I would assume that if it can be retrofitted to existing speakers in the field, it would have to be inside the speaker or driver replacement (metal cones?  Just kidding!) or both.  John Casler does patent searches?

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
upgrade
« Reply #54 on: 12 Sep 2005, 04:57 pm »
The new technology will be available to retrofit all RM and 626 series speakers for less than $300pr, perhaps much less.

John Casler started the teasing, not me.  A little beta testing is necessary. I don't want to indulge in possible self-delusion just because the results in my ideal listening environment were so pleasing.  

John Casler has extensive experience as an inventor and holds several patents.  I worked for a patent attorney in my youth and am also familiar with the process.

I absolutely cannot reveal more info until the disclosure is filed.

John Casler

« Reply #55 on: 12 Sep 2005, 07:36 pm »
Quote from: ctviggen
I would assume that if it can be retrofitted to existing speakers in the field, it would have to be inside the speaker or driver replacement (metal cones?  Just kidding!) or both.  John Casler does patent searches?

Yeah its one of my new jobs :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

NOT!!!!

No I simply did a preliminary "key word" search for prior art, and found lots of interesting stuff, but as B said, nothing that would seem to do this.

ctviggen

« Reply #56 on: 12 Sep 2005, 07:48 pm »
John, let me know if you ever do patent searches, I'll throw some searches your way!  

Well, I'll be one of the first in line for the new upgrade, as I thought the midbass upgrade was a good deal (though I've still not yet retuned the system after the upgrade -- next week, though, the fiance leaves, and it'll be me and the system for a day, alone at last!).

John B

« Reply #57 on: 13 Sep 2005, 05:06 am »
Beta tester report Day 2:

Lessons learned:

Exact placement and toe in are very important to tonal and soundstage balance.  If you're off by even an inch you're going to suffer.  

Mass loading with 5 3lb weights per RM30 speaker tighens up bass, improves midrange and adds more definition to the treble.

Acoustic panels are essential.   My last set of speakers sounded overdamped with full wall acoustic treatment, the RM30's like it as damped as you can get it.  All my Real Traps minitraps went back up on the back wall and things improved tremendously.   I need to do the ceiling for my next project.   Live End/Dead End...just do it  :mrgreen:

So for day 2 what strikes me most about the next generation RM30's is the vocals.  Eva Cassidy's death was a terrible loss to the music world.  Her music and voice were the stuff of angels.  Sadly, like many pop recordings on CD, you can rarely feel the inner magic of her talent, due to the poor recording quality and the limitations of the recording/electronic reproduction medium in general.  For the first time I felt chills when I listened to "Songbird"; the soul was infused in her music.  Her voice had "life" and musical "texture" with no edge.  I fell under the spell of her music and only because of my dedication to B as his Beta tester did I pull myself out of said spell and try some tweaks and positioning adjustments to nail down the best that this speaker can do.  

Any downsides?  Perhaps.  But only because I'm coming from speakers that had zero cabinet signature/resonance.   Not that the RM30's have much, but coming from zero, you can hear anything above that.   The pluses so far, far outweight the negatives, but I will diligently try to find some if they exist  :mrgreen:  

That's all for now.

Beta Tester Beav signing off  :wink:

John B

« Reply #58 on: 13 Sep 2005, 12:21 pm »
Thought it might be helpful if I gave you my listening room size and positions of speakers and listening position:

Room Dimensions:

H = 8'
W = 13'
L = 32'

Side/back of speaker walls:

Left speaker measured from the toe out angle of the front baffle, edge nearest to the left wall = 39"; Measured to the CD case that sits against that wall, 32".

Right speaker measured from the toe out angle of the front baffle, edge neare4st to the right wall = 33"; Measured to the microtrap that rests against that wall = 32"

Right speaker back panel to rear wall = 47"

Left speaker back panel to rear wall = 50"

Listening/Speaker Position:

Measured from center of bottom base plate of each speaker to the intersect point, mid chair width = 78"

From intersect point to ear position, sitting upright = 28"

Total distance = 106"

Distance between speakers, toe out front baffle inner edge to toe out front baffle inner edge = 67"

I think that covers it all.  Time to head out to work.  Or should I call in sick to get back to my real job of testing these speakers  :mrgreen:

ScottMayo

« Reply #59 on: 13 Sep 2005, 01:40 pm »

Exact placement and toe in are very important to tonal and soundstage balance.  If you're off by even an inch you're going to suffer.  
Acoustic panels are essential.   My last set of speakers sounded overdamped with full wall acoustic treatment, the RM30's like it as damped as you can get it.

This sounds like what I've observed from the RM/x and what people have always said about the RM-30. Everything matters.

Mass loading with 5 3lb weights per RM30 speaker tighens up bass, improves midrange and adds more definition to the treble.

If adding 15 pounds helps, that sounds like something the manufacturer can build into the speaker. What's 15 more pounds to an RM-30?  :D

Sadly, like many pop recordings on CD, you can rarely feel the inner magic of her talent, due to the poor recording quality and the limitations of the recording/electronic reproduction medium in general. For the first time I felt chills when I listened to "Songbird"; the soul was infused in her music. Her voice had "life" and musical "texture" with no edge.

One thing I've run into with VMPS in general is that it's not wildly forgiving. If the music was recorded badly, you're going to know. I consider that the inevitable hallmark of an accurate speaker. (If you want to glaze over recording issues, well, they invented Tubes for that. :) )

I'd like to be sure you aren't saying that, with the tweak, the RM-30s are less "Just Do It" and more "Let me fix that for you". So I guess I'm asking: is the Change the sort that increases Accuracy, or Euphonia? Is it a sharper razor blade, or a little more cinammon glaze on the ham?