VMPS will be announcing the BIGGEST development EVER!!!!!

CornellAlum

« Reply #140 on: 11 Oct 2005, 02:30 pm »
We must be getting close now, hmmm :roll:

John B

« Reply #141 on: 11 Oct 2005, 05:34 pm »
We must be getting close now, hmmm

Close only counts in horseshoes  :lol:

CornellAlum

« Reply #142 on: 11 Oct 2005, 08:52 pm »
And handgrenades :lol:

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
    • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #143 on: 12 Oct 2005, 06:21 am »
"two weeks"

lifewithmusic

« Reply #144 on: 12 Oct 2005, 03:55 pm »
and close counts in dancing.

skrivis

« Reply #145 on: 3 Nov 2005, 07:25 pm »
I don't recall anyone else mentioning this, but I find it interesting that both VMPS and SP Tech have similar announcements. :)

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=21244

miklorsmith

Re: VMPS will be announcing the BIGGEST development EVER!!!!!
« Reply #146 on: 18 Jan 2008, 06:04 pm »
Any long-term, followup thoughts on this?  I know there are lots of these waveguides out there in the world.  The occasional mention comes up but some A/B comparisons with and without the guides in real world settings would be interesting.

I do see some companies like SP Tech and Emerald Physics are implementing waveguides but I perceive these to be designed at controlling radiation rather than expanding it as this does.

Thanks in advance.

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
« Reply #147 on: 18 Jan 2008, 06:31 pm »
Speakers schmeakers, I'm singing opera!  See me at the Met next year romancing Anna Nebtrenko and needling John Del Carlo in "Don Pasquale".  I have a feeling Juan Diego Flores might be taking a nite off on that occasion...

The SP waveguide appears to be a round horn.  The EP round waveguide appears to  improve the disperson of a compression horn tweeter. My waveguide is rather different, a diffraction slot 2/3" wide (same as a 20 kHz wavelength) which makes for 180 dispersion full range.

Like any Constant Directivity waveguide which spreads the same treble energy over a wide angle, there is a treble rolloff which we currently compensate for by dehorning the tweeter.  In our new Special Digital Editions the compensation is done with a digital parametric EQ.

briancheneytenor.com

Geardaddy

« Reply #148 on: 3 Feb 2008, 04:40 am »
Brian, kuddos to you on your breakthrough.  If this midwestern speaker rave or showcase or whatever its going to be ever gets off the ground, you will have to join the fray....or send one of your dealers at least..... 8)

Brian Cheney

« Reply #149 on: 3 Feb 2008, 05:19 am »
No problem, we're just now sending out review samples of the RM30 SDE with the DCX2496 digital crossover/parametric EQ included at $3495pr. 

As others have discovered, controlling dispersion is very important to achieving good sound in a small environment such as most audiophile's homes.  You can't change directivity by crossover alone, and the lobing and cancellation typical of multiway systems in and around the crossover region account for many of the differences we hear between speakers that otherwise measure flat on axis.

I have heard the SP Tech and EP speakers only at shows and liked both, if for different reasons.  Right now our digital crossovers mimic our analog filters, i.e. first order slopes and staggered poles.  I plan to include dial-up filters suited to user tastes and listening rooms--indeed, we will probably offer to make each speaker pair custom for every user, with his listening room compensated for as much as possible in the processor.  This should finally realize the great potential of DSP: highly effective and musical digital correction of loudspeakers, a goal I have striven towards these past 15 years.

I also think the optimum transient response of a sealed design, and not having to deal with the dipole effect which makes open baffle bass so problematic in terms of extension, power handling and distortion levels, will result in a system both highly pleasing sonically and downright easy on the eyes.

briancheneytenor.com

Geardaddy

« Reply #150 on: 3 Feb 2008, 03:34 pm »
That sounds good to me.  The speaker showcase thread, besides being sidetracked into how to control for beer as a confounding variable, also ended up briefly discussing the whole digital domain and room manipulation in the context of a show.  In an Emerald Physics thread, a lot of people were taken with how they sounded despite the essential absence of room treatments.  This was attributed in part to the CS 2's digital element.  As I look across the audio landscape and into the future, I think things like DSP will feature prominently....as will uncompressed music, servers, etc, etc.

Brian Cheney

« Reply #151 on: 3 Feb 2008, 05:57 pm »
One lesson learned from my early forays into digital correction of loudspeakers is to have the DSP do as little work as possible.  Also, cuts are much easier to realize than boosts, since you are always running up against the ceiling of digital zero.

For this reason I still recommend at least some room treatment, primarily in the speaker end of the room.