Zu Druids win Second-Ever Lunar Eclipe Award

miklorsmith

« on: 21 Jun 2005, 02:26 pm »
I've been touting these for a while to the Red Wine Audio crowd, but these clearly aren't limited to small chip amps:

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/zu/druid.html

At 101 db sensitivity, they need a good electronics-match, but

These speakers transcend stereo.  They will literally redefine what you expect from reproduced music in the right (not most expensive) system.

jcoat007

« Reply #1 on: 21 Jun 2005, 09:53 pm »
Congrats to Zu!!!  

Only the 2nd Lunar Eclipse Award ever given by Srajan.  Nice going!!!

I am ordering a pair in a couple of weeks.  Srajan's drooling is just too much to bear and I have had an itch to try new speakers for some time now.  

My Butler 2250 is probably overkill, but I like overkill!!!  :rock:

miklorsmith

Hey!
« Reply #2 on: 21 Jun 2005, 10:49 pm »
Didn't Srajan try these with a Butler amp?  I thought he said the combo wasn't the best?  I breezed around 6moons for a while and can't find it though.

jcoat007

Re: Hey!
« Reply #3 on: 21 Jun 2005, 10:58 pm »
Quote from: miklorsmith
Didn't Srajan try these with a Butler amp?  I thought he said the combo wasn't the best?  I breezed around 6moons for a while and can't find it though.

I don't remember seeing that, but if you find it, please let me know.

Mad DOg

« Reply #4 on: 21 Jun 2005, 11:01 pm »
Quote from: jcoat007
I am ordering a pair in a couple of weeks.

i'll be interested in hearing your thoughts. :)

JohnnyLightOn

Re: Zu Druids win Second-Ever Lunar Eclipe Award
« Reply #5 on: 21 Jun 2005, 11:20 pm »
Quote from: miklorsmith
At 101 db sensitivity, they need a good electronics-match...

Other than the specific components that Srajan used in testing the Druid, what general characteristics would electronics have that would make them a good match?  I'd imagine low noise would be up there.

Srajan loved the Red Wine Audio battery-powered amp along with a tube preamp.  It would be easy to go this route as it's been proven, and also it's pretty economical.  But what if I wanted to use a more traditional setup in order to have a remote control and a tuner?  Is there an easy way to know what will work well, or is trial-and-error the only way to know if it's not been already tried by somebody?

JohnnyLightOn

« Reply #6 on: 21 Jun 2005, 11:31 pm »
Partially answering my own question, here is a bit of page 4 of the 6moons review:

"Owners of high-gain preamps may notice that their gain control's taper is too steep and things get too loud too quickly. 101dB speaker efficiencies will do that. High-gain preamps are also liable to be a bit noisy, something you never noticed before with 88-91dB speakers. What you want is either a lo-to-medium gain preamp or a power amp with a low input sensitivity, i.e. not something that reaches its full rated power with 0.5 volts but well above 1 and ideally closer to 2 (the industry standard CD player output). What you don't want is some exotic source that outputs 6 volts. What you don't want neither is some noisy-as-hell tube amp or some high-power monstrosity whose power supply injects a noticeable hum into the electron microscope your system has turned into."

miklorsmith

Good questions
« Reply #7 on: 21 Jun 2005, 11:34 pm »
Various tube preamps have remote controls.  The Modwright does.  An inexpensive tuner can easily be added.

That said, the noise floor of the components will be the most visible element.  The volume control of your preamp will likely get twitchy, with very small increments translating to big swings.  Amps or preamps can be tweaked to reduce/eliminate this effect.

The speakers as a whole are not tonally picky.  They will stamp their sound on whatever you pair them with.  This is not to say the electronics won't shine through, but the strengths of the speakers are inherent, not depending on some magical combination to bring them out.

The supertweeter is not agressive, merely adding some sparkle to the top end.  I think a system would have to be annoyingly bright before it would get annoying on the Druids.

For amps, Nelson Pass' new, classic truism of the First Watt could never be truer.  With speakers this sensitive, everything you listen to will be entirely within one watt of power.  This does not necessitate a small amp, however it does demand that to excel, the amp must be exceedingly good at very low power.  Since most large amps are not designed around this parameter, I would guess most larger amps would communicate somewhat reduced microdynamics and shading.  I have not tried these with big amps though, so this is mere speculation.

They are not clinical or sterile.  Tube-o-philes should Love these critters, though I could imagine that a heavily tubed system could be too much with these speakers.

That's about all I've got.  I happen to love the synergy I've got going now and have no upgradeitis.  I'll keep playing around but it's all gravy from here.

JohnnyLightOn

« Reply #8 on: 21 Jun 2005, 11:38 pm »
Congrats!  :D  And thanks for sharing the info!

OBF

« Reply #9 on: 22 Jun 2005, 12:09 am »
I'm getting interested in these speakers too, but anyone know if Zu addressed the frightening FR mentioned in other threads when they revised the speakers?  Or if they ever talked about it?  Either way it doesn't seem to bother people so maybe the measurements were flawed.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #10 on: 22 Jun 2005, 03:30 am »

I am ordering a pair in a couple of weeks.  Srajan's drooling is just too much to bear and I have had an itch to try new speakers for some time now.  

My Butler 2250 is probably overkill, but I like overkill!!!  :rock:
    jcoat....You might want to check out the Red Wine Audio modded Teac amp (30 watts...$600.00 - $700.00 price range w/mods).....I think that would be a good match with the Zu Druid speaker....and you have the ModWright preamp already...on paper, looks like a nice system. :) [/list:u]

miklorsmith

« Reply #11 on: 22 Jun 2005, 02:37 pm »
The FR sounds flat as a pancake to me.  The anomalies present in just about every other hi-eff offering are simply not there in my rig.  Srajan mentioned their evenhanded response, except for a couple of recordings where he ran into a little Lowther-type shout with his Stealth cables.  I'm running big copper cables and have listened to a great deal of trumpet music, which should aggravate any treble issues, and don't hear any of that.

I've got two Clari-T's I've run on the buggers, and a stock Teac.  I've had the stock Clari-T playing at 105 db in-room without compression or clipping.  It's really something to behold.  For about 10 seconds, that's freakin' LOUD.  But, to hear it that loud and clean is amazing.

The Teac sounds less refined on the speakers, as it should, but plays even louder.  If you've got a huge room and like to throw raves, the extra 24 watts might come in handy.  I imagine the mod (mine will be coming at some point) will ameliorate the concerns with refinement.  Supposedly, these speakers can play to 130 db peaks and can handle 300 watts.  I'd like to check that out - from the next county.

jcoat007

« Reply #12 on: 22 Jun 2005, 02:55 pm »
I just got an e-mail from Srajan and while he has not heard the Butler and Druids together, he felt they could be a great match because the Butlers are so quiet.  The only issue is the gain of the preamp and being able to find the right volume setting.  I had Dan alter the gain of my unit so the volume increases more gradually, so hopefully this will not be a problem for me.  

BTW - ZU is showing the Druids in Denver with a Rogue Zeus - 225 Watt triod monster.

jcoat007

« Reply #13 on: 22 Jun 2005, 06:47 pm »
I also posed the question to Zu about compatibility with high powered amps.  Here is their response:

"The Butler 2250 should be awesome with the Druids.  We actually just
ordered one and it shipped out yesterday I think.  We have quite a few
high power tube and solid state amps and the Druid really shines with
them all.  Having the dynamic headroom will really just make it
practically invincible with any music.

I have a Rogue Zeus and even though you don't need the power it sounds
amazing with the Druids.  One of the best amps we've ever heard with
the Druids in fact."

Well, I can't wait to see for myself.

nathanm

« Reply #14 on: 22 Jun 2005, 09:46 pm »
One thing to take into account with Srajan's reviews is that the man has a mouth wateringly enormous listening room which must be a real boon to any speaker being reviewed there.  So as a reader, if your own space is like his you will likely agree with the praise.  However, those with smaller rooms are likely to think, "what's the fuss?"  I know this because of direct experience with putting my own speakers in a room very similar in size to Srajans...the difference in bass response was night and day.  I could honestly not believe they were my own speakers playing.  Probably the most dramatic change I have come across with equipment.  

So as much as I am tempted by the Druids I must resist, because I can predict just how rolled off they'd sound in my own pathetic room instead of that glorious palace he's got. Dammit, why do the Druids have to look so cool? :banghead:  And then there's Srajan's pictures too, which just kick ass.  Damn him.  I mean, he's got closeups fer pete's sake!  When's the last time you saw a closeup of anything in freaggin' Stereophile?

miklorsmith

Actually. . .
« Reply #15 on: 22 Jun 2005, 09:58 pm »
Good points.  These suckers are unusual though.  I just moved and these speakers went from a room bigger than Srajan's (30x15x15) to a 12x18x9 basement room.  The bass is a little fuller in the new room, but not a fundamental change.

In the old room, the bass didn't get boomy or accentuated when the speakers were shoved tightly in corners.  In the new room, they're corner-loaded, but they don't sound much different close or pulled away from the walls.  I've also put them in a more conventional arrangement off the front wall and the bass didn't sound much different.

It's a different beast.  It doesn't follow the rules.  You'll be very, very glad.

lonewolfny42

« Reply #16 on: 23 Jun 2005, 03:23 pm »
I also posed the question to Zu about compatibility with high powered amps.  Here is their response:

"The Butler 2250 should be awesome with the Druids.  We actually just
ordered one and it shipped out yesterday I think.  We have quite a few
high power tube and solid state amps and the Druid really shines with
them all.  Having the dynamic headroom will really just make it
practically invincible with any music.

I have a Rogue Zeus and even though you don't need the power it sounds
amazing ...
That's good news !!! No need for the modded Teac then....unless you want a 2nd. system ? Vandy's are a nice speaker...it should be a good comparison. Good luck !!! :thumb:

ton1313

« Reply #17 on: 23 Jun 2005, 04:14 pm »
Anyone going to attend the Easton PA demo on Sept. 16 & 17?

lonewolfny42

« Reply #18 on: 23 Jun 2005, 04:25 pm »
Quote from: ton1313
Not a bad trip from NYC.... :D

jcoat007

« Reply #19 on: 23 Jun 2005, 04:47 pm »
Quote from: lonewolfny42
Quote from: ton1313
Not a bad trip from NYC.... :D

Just over an hour, that is a "No-Brainer"!!!