Zu Druids win Second-Ever Lunar Eclipe Award

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #20 on: 23 Jun 2005, 07:12 pm »
Quote from: lonewolfny42
That's good news !!! No need for the modded Teac then....unless you want a 2nd. system ? Vandy's are a nice speaker...it should be a good comparison. Good luck !!! :thumb:

i would be shocked if the druids do not totally lay waste to the vandy's.  but, that's my bias about the vandy's, more than anything else.

i purchased the demo pair of zu monitors that was being sent around a while back.  really nice overall, but lacking in detail for use in my main system.  at 99db/1w-efficient, they sounded good w/amps as waried as 8wpc wave-8's, to mondo mesa baron power.  bass wasn't a concern, as they were crossed to subs.  they replaced a pair of thiel 3.5's in the kitchen system, being driven by a 55wpc alchemist kraken amp.  a much better match for serious kitchen partying - that room is big, at ~26x28, w/cathedral ceilng up to ~16'...

zu mentioned to me last year, that they were coming out w/a m-t-m monitor speaker - kinda like the zu definition, but w/o the built-in subs, & a smaller cabinet.  i'd bet having two of these 10" full-range drivers would address the issues w/detail that i had - about my only complaint for the zu monitors, imo.  and, i haven't heard the druids - perhaps they are also better in this regard.

doug s.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #21 on: 24 Jun 2005, 03:01 am »
doug...I remember you having those zu speakers....ya no why....because of their color..... :o
    [/list:u]
      I kept thinking....Canary !!!! :D [/list:u]

doug s.

• makin' music
    « Reply #22 on: 24 Jun 2005, 12:38 pm »
    Quote from: lonewolfny42
    doug...I remember you having those zu speakers....ya no why....because of their color..... :o
        I kept thinking....Canary !!!! :D [/list:u]

yup - those be the ones;  they look - & sound - great in my ex's kitchen.  subwoofer definitely a requirement w/these, in a large room.  the thiel 3.5's, which these replaced, dint need a sub.

doug s.

Russell Dawkins

Druids for critical use - mixing (and mastering??)
    « Reply #23 on: 24 Jun 2005, 05:16 pm »
    Does anyone have experience or know anyone who has (preferably a recording engineer)  using Druids for mixing or mastering music, especially classical? I have been on the point of purchasing the Druids for this purpose but recently have been strongly advised to consider SP Technologies Timepiece 2.1s, which, apparently, are extraordinary for this, albeit with the usual needs for massive power.
     I have read recently a couple of comments about the Druids which suggest that they have a strong character, which I am afraid might overwhelm the subtle differences I need to hear to make mixing decisions re: EQ, compression and reverb. The ideal speaker will make one recording sound uniquely different from another, i.e. be transparent to the source. I know, this is a lot to ask of a simple speaker like this, but I would like to think it is possible. I really don't want character in a speaker.
    Russell

ZooDog

« Reply #24 on: 25 Jun 2005, 12:25 am »
    I wouldn't want to try and master on anything that measures like this:

NealH

« Reply #25 on: 25 Jun 2005, 12:43 am »
     The ideal speaker will make one recording sound uniquely different from another, i.e. be transparent to the source. I know, this is a lot to ask of a simple speaker like this, but I would like to think it is possible. I really don't want character in a speaker.

Check out the Lipinski monitors - in particular the L707.  I do not own a pair (although I would like to) but, these follow the "no compromise, no character" ideal.  Excellent speaker.    

http://www.lipinskisound.com/products/loudspeakers.html

ooheadsoo

« Reply #26 on: 25 Jun 2005, 01:29 am »
    Quote from: ZooDog

You'd be surprised at the measurements of what real engineers master on.  They are by no means great.  They also suit different purposes.  Another thing to keep in mind is that the measurements you just posted may be v1 - the website doesn't say.

Here's a tannoy on the measuring block.  You can see that it fares no better.

jcoat007

« Reply #27 on: 25 Jun 2005, 02:44 am »

What speaker is this?  You don't say and I don't want to assume.

ooheadsoo

« Reply #28 on: 25 Jun 2005, 03:10 am »
    Quote from: jcoat007

What speaker is this?  You don't say and I don't want to assume.

http://www.soundstagemagazine.com/measurements/zucable%5Fdruid/

JDUBS

« Reply #29 on: 25 Jun 2005, 06:05 am »
    That Soundstage review (and accompanying frequency response chart) is back from '02.  Not sure how the latest Druid would plot.

ooheadsoo

« Reply #30 on: 25 Jun 2005, 06:32 am »
    It is surely not the latest version being measured.  However, the current one most likely doesn't measure too differently, considering the physics of the design.  Measurements may not be everything in this case.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #31 on: 26 Jun 2005, 07:55 pm »
    Thanks, rnhood,
    I have checked out the Lipinskis. I wonder how the 505 stacks up against the 707. The 707 is too much money for me. I also wonder how the 707 with two 6.5" would compare to the SP Technologies  
    http://www.4sptech.com/  with one 8" (the same cone area) at much less money. I must say the list of who upgraded to 707s and what they upgraded from is pretty impressive.
    Speaking of frequency response curves, a lot of records were mixed and mastered on Tannoys with pretty wild response curves.
    My Harbeth HLP3s are pretty flat but I can hardly stand listening to them after the Tannoys which have a ragged response and are 28 years old!
    Russell

Zu

• http://www.zucable.com
    NRC measurement of Druid mk 1 in the soundstage review
    « Reply #32 on: 27 Jun 2005, 04:21 pm »

I just wanted to post and clear up the confusion regarding the frequency response as posted by soundstage in their review.  The NRC didn't follow even one of our guidelines for measuring the Druids which are absolutely essential and include placing a plate at the correct distance from the bottom of the cabinet, and measuring on the center of the listening axis instead of the center of the tweeter like they did.  The Druid measures as flat as just about any loudspeaker on the market.  Anyone with a set of ears can easily play a frequency sweep and hear for themselves that they are flat.  Our standard system for measuring and publishing is clio but we have used just about every system available and out of the hundreds of times we have measured the Druids not once have they been anything like the NRC amplitude response measurement.

While amplitude response is a poor thing to base a purchase on it is critical for an engineer in designing and refining a loudspeaker.  Your ears are the ultimate set up for measuring and while you can massage a frequency response to get the perfect graph you can't massage your ears, but don't tell my wife that since I have a great thing going right now.

Anyway I just though I should clear this up since it seems there is a little confusion regarding the measurements.

P.S.  Did anyone happen to notice the Harmonic distortion of the Druid?

jcoat007

« Reply #33 on: 15 Jul 2005, 01:51 am »
    I have had my Druids for a couple of days now and only have about 20-25 hours of really driving them so far.  

I will wait until fully broken-in to post my impressions, but so far I only have one concern.  

That concern would be "LONG TERM HEARING LOSS".  

The Druids just beg to be driven.  Turn up the wick and enjoy clean, big and powerful sound.  There's a lot of meat on them bones for such a smallish speaker and so far their appetite runs the gamut.  It really doesn't matter what I throw at them; classical, jazz, rock, grunge, punk, vocal, acoustic, opera.  It doesn't seem to matter.  But I find myself listening at such volume that I think I am damaging my hearing.  

I'm going on vacation and am going to let them rip for a week.  When I get back they should be fully broken in and I will report back.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
    « Reply #34 on: 15 Jul 2005, 04:32 am »
    jcoat007 :
      That concern would be "LONG TERM HEARING LOSS"....
        What...what... ????? Turn it up...I can't hear it. :lol: [/list:u]
          I'll be interested in your comments jcoat , after you have the Druid's broke-in. We seem to have similar electronic's in common.....enjoy !!  :D [/list:u]
            Chris[/list:u]

ton1313

« Reply #35 on: 15 Jul 2005, 10:50 am »
      Jcoat007

I found/thought the same thing when I first got my Druids. Their presentation is so distortion free, that you actually can play them at higher volums and enjoy what is coming out  :mrgreen:

Check your listening position with an SPL meter, that way you will know when to stop turning the knob.

Later

jcoat007

« Reply #36 on: 15 Jul 2005, 11:03 am »
      Quote from: ton1313
      Check your listening position with an SPL meter, that way you will know when to stop turning the knob.

Later

I lent my rat shack meter to my father-in-law so he can balance the channels in his HT.  

I need it back.  It a matter of medical urgency!!! :wink:

doug s.

• makin' music
      « Reply #37 on: 15 Jul 2005, 01:17 pm »
      Quote from: jcoat007
      I have had my Druids for a couple of days now and only have about 20-25 hours of really driving them so far.  

I will wait until fully broken-in to post my impressions, but so far I only have one concern.  

That concern would be "LONG TERM HEARING LOSS".  

The Druids just beg to be driven.  Turn up the wick and enjoy clean, big and powerful sound.  There's a lot of meat on them bones for such a smallish speaker and so far their appetite runs the gamut.  It really doesn't matter what I throw at them ...

hi jcoat,

since you pm'd me about how much better these are initially, compared to your vandies, ("...music freed from prison..."), i have been anxiously awaiting your comments here on this thread!  :wink:

be sure to keep us updated, after you get back from your vacation.

regards,

doug s.

miklorsmith

Teaser
      « Reply #38 on: 15 Jul 2005, 02:41 pm »
      To break the tension:

They open up tremendously.  At first, the lack of distortion and ability to play LOUD are obvious.  You won't notice at first, without the benefit of hindsight, but they are a bit restrained out of the box.  Over time, they will open up.  It's a clear window versus no window transformation.  After a good hundred hours, they won't sound like speakers.  You'll forget it isn't the recording itself playing.  Close your eyes and you're there.

You will forget audiophilisms like soundstage and imaging and extension.  Those are neat tricks but once you plug in, they're Way down the list.

Yes, please, enlighten us ASAP.  There are too few champions of these incredible teleporters.

hum4god

druid in the WI ,CHICAGO, MILWAUKEE, MINNEAPOLIS area ?
      « Reply #39 on: 15 Jul 2005, 04:21 pm »
      HI
      i just read all the reviews and many of the posts here on ac about the druids and i am really curious to hear this speaker.
      i was looking for a high eff. speaker since months.oris diy horns,decware,basszilla,bastanis prometheus.
      but these druids seem to be the real deal.

if there is anybody in my area (WI ,CHICAGO, MILWAUKEE,MINNEAPOLIS) willing to give me a listen please pm me.

thanks a lot for all the posts that provided me with valuable information.