bicycles

Levi

Re: bicycles
« Reply #300 on: 27 Feb 2008, 11:46 pm »
I am in the small side of big.  :)

54cm on-road frame size.

I like to ride in the average 15-25mph and in comfort!  That's in a moutain bike.  Hopefully faster in a road-bike.

nodiak

« Reply #301 on: 28 Feb 2008, 03:02 am »
If interested/curious here's one of the many titanium recumbents out there. Scroll down a little for pic.
http://www.barcroftcycles.com/ 
I have an older cro mo of this model. Takes some conditioning to go uphill, but they're very aero on the flats and downhill. This model kinda sucks around town with stop and go, mtb is better for that. But for distance on flat to rolling hills they are great.
I have some circulation and arthritic problems which got me into recumbents, but they are like being in a cockpit and very fun.
Don

Don_S

« Reply #302 on: 28 Feb 2008, 03:16 am »
"Many titanium recumbents?"  Don,  What are some of the others?  Bacchetta has stopped making the Aero Basso which is the size I would need.  I have a fully custom (including powdercoat and shorty Rotor cranks) Bacchetta Giro. I wanted to switch to the Aero Basso because it is 1" lower--a very important inch for me.  I was not aware there were that many Ti bents to choose from in the short wheel base configuration.

PhilNYC

« Reply #303 on: 28 Feb 2008, 03:26 am »
   Classic ride there Phil :cool:

Here it is!

nodiak

« Reply #304 on: 28 Feb 2008, 03:37 am »
Hi Don_S, I'm not up on current offerings only that there have been several ti bents over the years. Wasn't referring to just swb. Bacchetta, Easy Racers Ti Rush, Reynolds, Rans V2 and Stratus Ti model, Rotator - Pursuit and Tiger each have ti versions.
The Rotator Tiger is a small bike. A local let me try hers for a couple weeks. It has a fork rake set up for high speed stability so the steering is ~ floppy at low speeds, but it is a firm tracker at speed. Maybe it's something that would interest you? Check the "Level 3" on Tiger page. Kind of a funky website.
http://www.rotatorrecumbent.com/index.html
I'm with you on the short cranks, mine has 155mm, real knee helper.
Don
« Last Edit: 28 Feb 2008, 05:08 am by nodiak »

mcullinan

« Reply #305 on: 28 Feb 2008, 03:46 am »
If you ever rode with the the LIBC Long Island Bicycle Club, there is a guy who rides a recumbent bike with a windshield. Fast on the flats, not so good uphill. Really cool to see though.
Mike

Folsom

« Reply #306 on: 28 Feb 2008, 06:27 am »
If you really expect to travel, realistically, averaging over 23mph, do not get a titanium bike unless you weigh 130lbs. At 150lbs area, 380w is around 24mph... That would put you into a way too strong class to benefit from titanium. People that race on them weigh nothing, and even they are very rare. Try some carbon fiber bikes.

Don_S

« Reply #307 on: 28 Feb 2008, 07:15 am »
Nodiak,  I live driving distance from Rotator.  I went there before I purchased my first bent. The Tiger is a crazy design.  Look at the slope of the tube.  The shorter someone is the higher the seat ends up being.  I could not even fit on the bike to test ride it.  The Pursuit is even crazier.  I almost dropped the bike three times trying to walk it outside through the crowded shop. Serious wheel flop and then some.  I never could get it going in the parking lot.  I drove across town to Haluzak and bought a Leprechaun Hybrid Race.

Since then I think Rotator has tamed the wheel flop issue a little and Haluzak is history.

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #308 on: 28 Feb 2008, 01:41 pm »
The reason that titanium bikes have fallen out of favor is the price escalation. Some years ago, after the end of the cold war the military demand for titanium dropped. This resulted in an excess supply of raw titanium and lots of unemployed skilled titanium welders. So titanium bike prices were low. Now that the supply and demand costs have adjusted, it costs a lot more to build a good titanium bike. The titanium bang for the buck is history.

zacster

« Reply #309 on: 28 Feb 2008, 03:16 pm »
   Classic ride there Phil :cool:

Here it is!

Phil, that really is a classic.  In addition to my carbon I also have this:

And this too:

It just shows our age.  The guy that I ordered the Davidson from loaned me a Cinelli while I waited. 

LadyDog

« Reply #310 on: 28 Feb 2008, 03:43 pm »
With all due respect to those poo-pooing titanium, come on now.

Yes titanium is expensive, but no more so than some of the top carbon and steel frames.  In no particular order and to just name a few:

Parlee - $4k
Crumpton - $4k
Cyfac - $4k
Look 585 - $3500

Now to steel -

Goodrich - $2800
Kirk - $2900
Zanc - $2000
Sacha - $2900
Sachs - what's Richard's stuff now, over $3500

TI -

Kish - $2300
Strong - $2600

As you can see, it is well within reason.  Yes they are more expensive than some of the mass produced carbon frames, but a nicer bike too. 

With regards to titanium being flexy - gee, I wonder how Sean Kelly won all those sprints on a "flexy" frame?   

Not being for larger riders - the bike is as much about the builder as it is the frame material.  You can build a tank of a frame from titanium and steel, as you can a noodle of carbon.

All frame materials have their pro's and con's.  And as I said earlier, as is with stereo equipment, everyone is their own movie critic.  Some like carbon, some like steel, others prefer titanium.

Regards,
Jeff 

Folsom

« Reply #311 on: 28 Feb 2008, 04:19 pm »
If you make titanium super burly you start to negate the weight saving. Carbon does not do this, it is more about the shape and quality of the carbon.

I forget why I am argueing about this because this is a weight wienny discussion really...

BikeWNC

« Reply #312 on: 28 Feb 2008, 07:48 pm »
If you really expect to travel, realistically, averaging over 23mph, do not get a titanium bike unless you weigh 130lbs. At 150lbs area, 380w is around 24mph... That would put you into a way too strong class to benefit from titanium. People that race on them weigh nothing, and even they are very rare. Try some carbon fiber bikes.

I average 24 mph at 280 watts.  I weigh 180 lbs.  That data is from a flat TT.  So your math is off by quite a bit.  There is nothing wrong with well made Ti bikes.  Poor design makes for a poor frame.  The bottom line though is that good Ti has gotten very expensive.  My Indy Fab frame now costs $3800.  For that kind of money I would seriously consider a Specialized Tarmac SL sworks frame at half the price.  It is carbon and has a great ride.  In fact I would like to buy one for the extra Dura Ace kit I have sitting around.  But I already have too many extra frames.

nodiak

« Reply #313 on: 28 Feb 2008, 08:00 pm »
Don_S, that's a drag about rotator not fitting. I remember making alot of adjustments to my friends Tiger to get it right. I did like the weight balance on it. Too bad to hear Bill Haluzak gave it up, I went there and enjoyed his company and the bikes.
I'm a head of hair shy of 5'9" and my steel Barcroft Virginia has me at 55% weight over front wheel. I like 55% over rear wheel so I will cut the boom down ~ 3" to get there.
There should be a Barcroft owner near you for a test ride, definitely SF area. I'm in Arcata 200+ miles north. Bill Cook of barcroft is 5'7" iirc. I bet he would make you a shorter boom version of the ti model if you're interested. They're a nice riding machine.
Don

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #314 on: 28 Feb 2008, 09:29 pm »
I feel a little silly coming in with this question when you are all gung ho over exotic frames.   :oops:  Any body have one of those add a bike  thingy that hitchs on my humble (aluminum) bike?  I am just wondering if anybody wants to get rid of one now that your kids have grown up.  Mine is five and still not off her training wheels. 

mcullinan

« Reply #315 on: 28 Feb 2008, 10:04 pm »
I feel a little silly coming in with this question when you are all gung ho over exotic frames.   :oops:  Any body have one of those add a bike  thingy that hitchs on my humble (aluminum) bike?  I am just wondering if anybody wants to get rid of one now that your kids have grown up.  Mine is five and still not off her training wheels. 

WHAT!! How dare you suggest such a thing! Go to the silly corner and bow your head in SHAME!
Whats next.. cards for the spokes. oMG'
Mike :)  :D

SET Man

« Reply #316 on: 28 Feb 2008, 10:14 pm »
Heres my bike..

Its a carbon fiber frame and basically carbon bends a little so it gives a more comfortable ride over long hauls 45 miles plus...
I took of last summer as my son had open heart surgery and we were dealing with the new house. This is the year I am back!!! :)
I love biking, its my second favorite after audio.
Mike

Hey!

Nice bike there. :D

But I definitely don't want to be riding right behind you if you know what I mean.  :icon_lol:

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

bikes and beats

« Reply #317 on: 28 Feb 2008, 10:57 pm »
Hey all,
Nice to see so many cyclists in this hobby. Me, I work in the bike industry and let me tell you, modern road bikes are about the most amazing things created today. So light, so efficient so cool to look at! If half of the audio gear I've owned was as well thougt out and engineered as the average bicycle I'd be a happy man  :icon_lol:. I think you can be happy with any material. I personally ride Steel, Aluminum and Carbon frames, all with carbon forks. My next dream ride will likely be a Cervelo but then it may be an occupational hazard that I have this desire. At work, I'm around them all day! Check 'em out at www.excelsports.com.
Best,
Mike

some young guy

« Reply #318 on: 28 Feb 2008, 11:33 pm »

I don't have an "add a bike thingy", but I do have a suggestion for your 5 year old. Remove the training wheels AND the peddles. Sounds odd, but it worked very well for my 5 year old. I let her cruise around without peddles for a couple weeks. That gave her the opportunity to coast around and get the feel for balance when she lifted both feet up. When I put the peddles back on (at her repeated request) it only took about 5 minutes for her to ride all be herself.

Levi

« Reply #319 on: 28 Feb 2008, 11:34 pm »
Hi Mike,

I couldn't agree more.

Checking out your complete road bikes:
It's too bad the Merlin TR is not in my size.  It is right in my price range $2300-$3000.  I am looking for a 54cm exotic bike.

Levi
. At work, I'm around them all day! Check 'em out at www.excelsports.com.
Best,
Mike