bicycles

PhilNYC

Re: bicycles
« Reply #320 on: 28 Feb 2008, 11:38 pm »
Hey all,
Nice to see so many cyclists in this hobby. Me, I work in the bike industry and let me tell you, modern road bikes are about the most amazing things created today. So light, so efficient so cool to look at! If half of the audio gear I've owned was as well thougt out and engineered as the average bicycle I'd be a happy man  :icon_lol:. I think you can be happy with any material. I personally ride Steel, Aluminum and Carbon frames, all with carbon forks. My next dream ride will likely be a Cervelo but then it may be an occupational hazard that I have this desire. At work, I'm around them all day! Check 'em out at www.excelsports.com.
Best,
Mike

Mike...you work for Excel?  I've bought much stuff from there!  Great business...

Folsom

« Reply #321 on: 29 Feb 2008, 09:35 pm »
If you really expect to travel, realistically, averaging over 23mph, do not get a titanium bike unless you weigh 130lbs. At 150lbs area, 380w is around 24mph... That would put you into a way too strong class to benefit from titanium. People that race on them weigh nothing, and even they are very rare. Try some carbon fiber bikes.

I average 24 mph at 280 watts.  I weigh 180 lbs.  That data is from a flat TT.  So your math is off by quite a bit.  There is nothing wrong with well made Ti bikes.  Poor design makes for a poor frame.  The bottom line though is that good Ti has gotten very expensive.  My Indy Fab frame now costs $3800.  For that kind of money I would seriously consider a Specialized Tarmac SL sworks frame at half the price.  It is carbon and has a great ride.  In fact I would like to buy one for the extra Dura Ace kit I have sitting around.  But I already have too many extra frames.

You have no context with stating that. Yeah you did because you have aero bars and probably an aero helmet. My calculations are for on top of road bars. There are a lot of factors in wattage and speed. After 15-17mph area 70-90% of resistance is air. The instance you change something it has a significant affect.

Your 280watts would only be like 21mph on top of bars, and 23.6 in the drops, and 25 on a time trial bike. That is how much of difference there is, that is actually over 4mph difference between on top of the bars and a time trial bike, that you are trying to compare for this situation. He is buying a road bike.

If you were right then Lance Armstrong at 460-480Wish would travel at like 35mph, but wrong, the best he can do is maybe 33mph on a flat course, in his super aero time trial bike.

mcullinan

« Reply #322 on: 29 Feb 2008, 09:50 pm »
Heres my bike..

Its a carbon fiber frame and basically carbon bends a little so it gives a more comfortable ride over long hauls 45 miles plus...
I took of last summer as my son had open heart surgery and we were dealing with the new house. This is the year I am back!!! :)
I love biking, its my second favorite after audio.
Mike

Hey!

Nice bike there. :D

But I definitely don't want to be riding right behind you if you know what I mean.  :icon_lol:

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

hehe.. In the beginning of the season I was riding beginner and in the back, by the end I was riding B+ level and in the front. I have frog(brand)?? clips and it took a little time getting used to, I fell over twice, once bludgeoning myself, and i mean bloody.

Long Island is so beautiful, riding on the North side and it can get suprisingly hilly too.
I think the first 30 miles are pretty easy its after that when it gets to be a challenge. I love the feeling, jesus I better start training, its almost spring and Im so out of shape.

YEah. I got the bike in 2006 as a 2005 leftover. In 2005 they had 3 levels of bike, mine was 2nd tier. In 2006 they had 4 levels and the 2005 had higher end components, and I saved some cash. New it was around the mid 2s, but I save a few hundy off that.

I also had to get used to the tight fitting spandex/gortex, plus my newfound huge padded dong area. It was all so strange at first, but hella fun.
Mike

Folsom

« Reply #323 on: 1 Mar 2008, 02:48 am »
Mike I do not want to be on your nerve but unless you tell us what the components are "tier" and "level" all of that mean nothing. It is like saying I have a "Trek 943000942" it means nothing unless you are familiar with all the Trek line. If you explain what the frame and components are then well different story. There are a couple of bikes like if you say Pista Concept, Cross Concept, people know it means the highest grade Bianchi track and Cross bikes.

SET Man

« Reply #324 on: 1 Mar 2008, 03:01 am »

I also had to get used to the tight fitting spandex/gortex, plus my newfound huge padded dong area. It was all so strange at first, but hella fun.
Mike

Hey!

Well, make sure you get spandex short that fitted a bit higher up and than wear some jersey that is longer than normal. :D

This way your crack won't kill anyone behind you  :icon_lol:

Take care,

Folsom

« Reply #325 on: 1 Mar 2008, 03:19 am »
Try bibs

BikeWNC

« Reply #326 on: 1 Mar 2008, 03:23 am »
If you really expect to travel, realistically, averaging over 23mph, do not get a titanium bike unless you weigh 130lbs. At 150lbs area, 380w is around 24mph... That would put you into a way too strong class to benefit from titanium. People that race on them weigh nothing, and even they are very rare. Try some carbon fiber bikes.

I average 24 mph at 280 watts.  I weigh 180 lbs.  That data is from a flat TT.  So your math is off by quite a bit.  There is nothing wrong with well made Ti bikes.  Poor design makes for a poor frame.  The bottom line though is that good Ti has gotten very expensive.  My Indy Fab frame now costs $3800.  For that kind of money I would seriously consider a Specialized Tarmac SL sworks frame at half the price.  It is carbon and has a great ride.  In fact I would like to buy one for the extra Dura Ace kit I have sitting around.  But I already have too many extra frames.

You have no context with stating that. Yeah you did because you have aero bars and probably an aero helmet. My calculations are for on top of road bars. There are a lot of factors in wattage and speed. After 15-17mph area 70-90% of resistance is air. The instance you change something it has a significant affect.

Your 280watts would only be like 21mph on top of bars, and 23.6 in the drops, and 25 on a time trial bike. That is how much of difference there is, that is actually over 4mph difference between on top of the bars and a time trial bike, that you are trying to compare for this situation. He is buying a road bike.

If you were right then Lance Armstrong at 460-480Wish would travel at like 35mph, but wrong, the best he can do is maybe 33mph on a flat course, in his super aero time trial bike.

My ride was on a standard road bike in the drops over a 10 mile TT from standing start at Lowe's Motor Speedway.  Regular road helmet and kit.  Standard box section wheels.  My data is from my powertap.  I go 20 mph on the hoods at 180 watts.  These are data points I see every time I ride. 

edit.  I'm 6'3" tall at 180 lbs.

Folsom

« Reply #327 on: 1 Mar 2008, 04:18 am »
You were in the drops, that is still very different. It is hard to always calculate every factor.

Plus no one races in the drops, they only sprint/attack in them. Long rides, never in the drops for any real length of time.

PhilNYC

« Reply #328 on: 1 Mar 2008, 12:45 pm »
Try bibs

I never understood bibs...they are a pain when you have to use the bathroom... :bounce:

Folsom

« Reply #329 on: 1 Mar 2008, 07:48 pm »
Roll the leg up! Yeah it is weird but it works...

Bemopti123

« Reply #330 on: 1 Mar 2008, 08:01 pm »
Try bibs

I never understood bibs...they are a pain when you have to use the bathroom... :bounce:

Phil, you can do what Greg Lemond did in his Tour of France races... just follow nature's call when the body asks for it!, but did he use Bibs on that famous Tour of France run? :o

SET Man

« Reply #331 on: 7 Apr 2008, 12:21 am »
Hey!

Took my bike out yesterday for a spin in the City. It was a very nice day... but a bit windy and that make it a bit chilly. :D Since it was Saturday the Central Park were full of people. :D

Here's my bike in Central Park...

Than I took the bike path on the West side all the way downtown. I snapped this shot from around the Piers....

Yesterday was my first ride in a few months. And after dusting off, cleaning and a bit of oiling she still ride smoothly. :D

Well, I will have to find more time riding to help me loose some winter's fat that I've been putting on this past winter.  :icon_lol:

Take care,

BikeWNC

« Reply #332 on: 7 Apr 2008, 02:11 am »
I posted a ride I did this past week on another Board http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?p=6444466&posted=1#post6444466

The ride takes off near my home and is one I do regularly, but this was the first time since during a warm spell in Jan.

PhishPhan

« Reply #333 on: 7 Apr 2008, 02:30 am »
Here's a pic of my ride

She's my pride and joy.

maxwalrath

« Reply #334 on: 7 Apr 2008, 03:58 am »
I never got around to posting the bike I got almost a year ago now  :duh:.  Many thanks to beat, DOS, ctviggen canyoneagle, etc for all the valuable input. 

I got the Bianchi Milano and I'm very happy with it.  I can see how a guy can get the itch to buy a ton of bikes!  The Milano is great for cruising around the city, going downtown to run a few errands, or going up to my favorite cheesesteak spot.  I'll look into getting a road bike soon, I have the itch for more speed and would love to go for much longer rides than seem possible with my current ride.

Thanks again guys... :thumb:

ctviggen

« Reply #335 on: 7 Apr 2008, 11:04 am »
The bike I would buy now is the Portland at this link:

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/2008/urban/

It has fenders and disk brakes, along with a longer top tube (compared to other racing-style bikes from this company), yet it has drop handlebars and racing-bike-style shifters.  I particularly like the disk brakes, as in CT, sand and grit gets on the bike and between the rim and brake pads and basically ruins the rim.  Plus, the stopping power of disks seems suitable even for the rain (although I have no test data to back this up).

Levi

« Reply #336 on: 7 Apr 2008, 01:23 pm »
Independent Fabrication, Nice titanium bike!  ;)

Nice elevation also.

PhishPhan

« Reply #337 on: 7 Apr 2008, 02:04 pm »
Nice bike. Do I spy a Ksyrium SL wheelset?

Folsom

« Reply #338 on: 7 Apr 2008, 04:23 pm »
Levi how are you liking a road bike? You had a real nice mountain bike you use to travel around on some I remember, but it was still a mountain bike on the road a lot from what I remember.

Levi

« Reply #339 on: 7 Apr 2008, 04:33 pm »
I am still on a mountain bike riding in the city streets.  :oops:

I am still searching for a road bike but cannot find a good deal on a Ti frame.  I like round carbon frames aswell.  I am hoping to find a used road bike that I like locally.  It is so difficult to buy online because I don't really know my size (50-53)?  :scratch:

We need Bikegon!