bicycles

Folsom

Re: bicycles
« Reply #340 on: 7 Apr 2008, 04:54 pm »
You know for the price of carbon or Ti you could go with a steel frame that is fit to you, so you would not have to worry about the fitting at all. This is city use I suppose, less so with the racing. I would race on steel for road races if I were to road race. The 853 or 953 Reynolds is some top notch stuff. At least I assume any used Ti or carbon is going to be around the same price as a custom steel frame. Perhaps I am wrong; I never look at their prices very often.

The fascination with as light as possible baffles me a little. I would be more inclined to go Ti for the easier ride, but it is likely to be too easy for someone my size. I ride a steel bike around and I have to say with a very strong rear wheel it is still kind of grueling on the body, and carbon can pronounce that beyond what I want to deal with. However as far as aerodynamics go I am looking towards carbon for TT/Tri use. Now road racing I would probably only go with steel (Reynolds 853-953 or some sort of equivalent).

The other thing is with a custom made bike you can have it sized for larger tires, so you could run 700c x 32-40cc and make it a more pleasant ride if you wanted.

City wise use I am an advocate of single/fixed due to simplicity. I like to be able to run at least a cyclocross tire in front for winter. I think older steel (good like Reynolds 531 or Columbus tubing or something) frames are great not too expensive choices. They are not as popular to be stolen either. In big cities they are not exactly hard to locate either.

I would suggest you measure yourself out to know what size of bike you need. A tape measure and a clipboard (or something similar in shape, stiffness, and size) are about all you will need.

BikeWNC

« Reply #341 on: 7 Apr 2008, 05:01 pm »
Nice bike. Do I spy a Ksyrium SL wheelset?

Thanks guys.  Yes it is a 2004 Ksyrium SL wheelset that has been pretty bomber. 

I like my Ti bike.  It has a different feel than my carbon road bike, a bit more plush.  But that's how I asked for it to be built.

LadyDog

« Reply #342 on: 7 Apr 2008, 08:37 pm »
Andy,
Great pictures of your ride on the b/f site.  Wish we had the hills and scenery here in Indy.

Was 60 this past weekend, so dusted the bike off, and my legs, and took in my first official ride of the season. 

SET Man

« Reply #343 on: 7 Apr 2008, 10:23 pm »
I posted a ride I did this past week on another Board http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?p=6444466&posted=1#post6444466

The ride takes off near my home and is one I do regularly, but this was the first time since during a warm spell in Jan.

Hey!

Man! You are making me jealous  :icon_lol: Look like you have a great location for a nice ride. Must be fun coming down from the top :wink:

I wish I had a place like that to ride around. Oh! Well, I'm stuck here in NYC... in this urban concrete jungle with crazy NYC yellow cabs and etc :lol:

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:
« Last Edit: 7 Apr 2008, 10:34 pm by SET Man »

SET Man

« Reply #344 on: 7 Apr 2008, 10:33 pm »
I am still on a mountain bike riding in the city streets.  :oops:

I am still searching for a road bike but cannot find a good deal on a Ti frame.  I like round carbon frames aswell.  I am hoping to find a used road bike that I like locally.  It is so difficult to buy online because I don't really know my size (50-53)?  :scratch:

We need Bikegon!

Hey!

Levi, I think there is more mountain bikes around the city than road bikes still. :D

Anyway, as for bike size... my bike is 55cm. So, I think around 50-52cm should do for you. But to be sure maybe you could stop by bike store and ask them. :D

Let me know when you find one. :D

Take care,

Levi

« Reply #345 on: 7 Apr 2008, 11:20 pm »
Yup...Thanks Buddy.

PhilNYC

« Reply #346 on: 7 Apr 2008, 11:21 pm »

Anyway, as for bike size... my bike is 55cm. So, I think around 50-52cm should do for you. But to be sure maybe you could stop by bike store and ask them. :D

Buddy...my road bike is also a 55cm. :o  How tall are you??

SET Man

« Reply #347 on: 8 Apr 2008, 12:37 am »

Buddy...my road bike is also a 55cm. :o  How tall are you??

Hey!

Phil, I'm not sure exactly but I would say around 5'8" to 5'9"  :scratch:

Anyway, but my inseam... of which I think is more important... from floor to my crotch (firmly) is 32" or 81.28cm.

I remembered before I bought my road bike I did some research and there is a formula of which use the inseam measurement and multiply it by .67 and the result will be roughly your frame size.

In my case 81.28 X .67 = 54.46cm. My bike Klein "Aura V" only comes in 49cm, 52cm, 55cm, 58cm, and 61cm... so I went with the 55cm. And before I bought it I went to store and stand over a 55cm frame and yes there is space of about 1" between me and the frame which is good. But if I went for 52cm it will be too small.

Here is link to my bike's info...

http://archive.kleinbikes.com/us/road_bikes/archives/2004/2004_aura/2004_aura_v/index.html

Here is a link to Klein site about bike geometry and fitting....

http://archive.kleinbikes.com/us/cross_reference/index.html#fit_guide#geometry_direct_fit

My bike is not listed there but it is a compact frame like the "Reve" model and you could see that 55cm should be fine for height of 5'8" to 5'11" :D

Phil, your bike have a more classic geo similar to the Q-pro on that chart. So, if you are over 6' and more importantly your inseam, if there is too much room between you and the frame when you stand over it than I think your bike could be too small for you.  :scratch:

Take care,
« Last Edit: 8 Apr 2008, 12:59 am by SET Man »

PhilNYC

« Reply #348 on: 8 Apr 2008, 12:17 pm »
Buddy...I'm 6ft tall, but I have the same 32" inseam as you.... :scratch:

SET Man

« Reply #349 on: 8 Apr 2008, 05:39 pm »
Buddy...I'm 6ft tall, but I have the same 32" inseam as you.... :scratch:

Hey!

Interesting.

Phil, did you measure from your crotch to the floor? How much room left when you stand over the bike? Maybe your bike is on the small side for you?

Measuring pants inseam is different since is is only go to ankle I think, but I would guess that your pants inseam is 30" right? I usually buy pants with 30" inseam. :D

Anyway, if you inseam measurement for bike is 32" the same as me than I guess that is why your bike's frame size is the same as mine bike. :D  But I would expect that the stem on your bike is longer than mine.

Take care,

PhilNYC

« Reply #350 on: 8 Apr 2008, 06:04 pm »
I just measured again (and had a funny time explaining what I was doing to the nanny...!)...33" from floor to crotch with no shoes on.  My bike is 31.75" from the floor to the top of the top-tube.

I buy pants with a 32" inseam.

Occassionally, I ride a second bike...a 56cm Colnago Masterlight with a slightly longer top-tube...and that bike always feels a little bit big and stretched out to me.  Don't know if it's because I'm used to riding my Cinelli, but I find the Cinelli way more comfortable.

SET Man

« Reply #351 on: 8 Apr 2008, 06:49 pm »
I just measured again (and had a funny time explaining what I was doing to the nanny...!)...33" from floor to crotch with no shoes on.  My bike is 31.75" from the floor to the top of the top-tube.

I buy pants with a 32" inseam.

Occassionally, I ride a second bike...a 56cm Colnago Masterlight with a slightly longer top-tube...and that bike always feels a little bit big and stretched out to me.  Don't know if it's because I'm used to riding my Cinelli, but I find the Cinelli way more comfortable.

Hey!

That's funny about your nanny :lol:

Anyway, other thing to keep in mind is that I think not all bike companies have the same standard when it come to frame size. So, I guess your 55cm Cinelli will feel bigger for me than my 55cm Klein. Well, gives or takes 1 or 2 cm I guess.  Maybe :roll:

I wonder if you set up your Colnago the same way as your Cinelli? Seat height from middle of the crank shaft to the top, stem length and your hands position?

You know it would be nice if we could go for a ride together but I don't drive so getting there will be a problem  :icon_lol:

Anyway, maybe next time I'm at your place I will get on your bikes and see how they feel to me. :D

Take care,

Levi

« Reply #352 on: 8 Apr 2008, 10:43 pm »
Hi Buddy, I have ridden my bike over GWB and in or around Palisades pkwy.  This is on a Mountain Bike.  I am sure you can do it quicker.  You just have to man up and ride on the road.  Ha ha ha :lol:

mcullinan

« Reply #353 on: 8 Apr 2008, 10:57 pm »
I'm not doing the bike tour , no ones going. Tho I have started training for the Olympic Bobsledoffire sledding for 2013.
Praise the alah
mike

PhilNYC

« Reply #354 on: 9 Apr 2008, 12:29 pm »
   I wonder if you set up your Colnago the same way as your Cinelli? Seat height from middle of the crank shaft to the top, stem length and your hands position?

You know it would be nice if we could go for a ride together but I don't drive so getting there will be a problem  :icon_lol:

Anyway, maybe next time I'm at your place I will get on your bikes and see how they feel to me. :D

There's no question that my Colnago and my Cinelli are set up differently.  And their frame geometries are very different as well.  No need to have both bikes if they were the same... 8)  The Cinelli puts me more upright, feels quick/nimble, and is great for climbing, whereas the Colnago is more laid-out and overall more comfortable for long rides...

What size shoe do you wear?  Both bikes have old Time pedals....

SET Man

« Reply #355 on: 9 Apr 2008, 08:48 pm »
Hi Buddy, I have ridden my bike over GWB and in or around Palisades pkwy.  This is on a Mountain Bike.  I am sure you can do it quicker.  You just have to man up and ride on the road.  Ha ha ha :lol:

Hey!

Well, I guess I could do that. But I have to admit that I hate riding bike on the street of NYC. :?

You have a better chance of getting hit by a yellow cabs while riding your bike on the street of NYC than winning the Mega Millions lottery :lol:

I'm not doing the bike tour , no ones going. Tho I have started training for the Olympic Bobsledoffire sledding for 2013.
Praise the alah
mike

Well, it is now full. I post a note on the NYC bike tour thread about it. But! There's always next year and maybe we could plan it better next time.

Take care,

SET Man

« Reply #356 on: 9 Apr 2008, 09:02 pm »

There's no question that my Colnago and my Cinelli are set up differently.  And their frame geometries are very different as well.  No need to have both bikes if they were the same... 8)  The Cinelli puts me more upright, feels quick/nimble, and is great for climbing, whereas the Colnago is more laid-out and overall more comfortable for long rides...

What size shoe do you wear?  Both bikes have old Time pedals....

Hey!

Phil I wish I have room and money for another bike :?

Yes, I think riding more upright is more comfortable. I think with different geo this make you sit and reach differently. :D

As for my shoes. I wear size 9.5US.

I bought a specialized shoes with SPD. It is great for I nice ride when you don't have to stop a lot. But when I'm out on the street... even on the bike path on the West side I have to stop a lot and this is becoming annoying with twisting on and off.  Maybe it is safer for me to wear sneaker when riding in the city :?

Phil, I will definitely have to get on your two bikes when I'm at your place next time. :D

Take care,

Rob S.

« Reply #357 on: 9 Apr 2008, 09:14 pm »
Anybody here been riding a 29'er mtn bike?  I'm in the market for one and wanted some suggestions of what to buy in the 1-2k range.

Short list is:  Gary Fisher-   Paragon or X-caliber
                 Gunnar
                  Niner--- although will probably be out of my price range

Probably want to buy a complete bike, not frame/fork only. 

Thanks,

Rob

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #358 on: 9 Apr 2008, 09:23 pm »
Maybe check out Voodoo cycles. FS Taiwan imports for a reasonable price...  They may still be over your price, in which case maybe Redline... I'd check out mtbr.com, theres a ton of info there. I'm not a huge fan of GF geometry, but haven't looked into current offerings.

Any more mt. bikers here?

PhilNYC

« Reply #359 on: 9 Apr 2008, 09:33 pm »
As for my shoes. I wear size 9.5US.

I bought a specialized shoes with SPD. It is great for I nice ride when you don't have to stop a lot. But when I'm out on the street... even on the bike path on the West side I have to stop a lot and this is becoming annoying with twisting on and off.  Maybe it is safer for me to wear sneaker when riding in the city :?

Phil, I will definitely have to get on your two bikes when I'm at your place next time. :D

Take care,

Buddy...we wear the same size shoe, too. :thumb:   Both my road bikes have older Time pedals, so you'll need to wear my shoes to give the bikes a spin.

And although weird, I find myself more nervous riding a bike without clip-in bindings... :scratch: