Solving the floor space issue with subs and separate tower speakers (NX-Otica's)

Sonicjoy

I have been thinking of how to deal with the floor space issue with separate speakers and OB sub towers that all need to be out into the room. Looking at that last photo in e_biz80's NX-Treme post https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=169138.0 gave me the solution. How about taking the NX-Otica's and turn them upside down and mount them on top of a triple stack of H frames? I bet that would be killer! With a little redesign of the top er bottom of the NX-Oitca's I bet it could work.

What do Ya'll think?
« Last Edit: 8 Apr 2020, 01:31 pm by Sonicjoy »

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
There's also the Otica MTM, that removes the lower 4 woofers, so you can place them on top of the OB subs that might also be a good option for you?

Sonicjoy

Hi Hobbs.

I know about that one but am trying to come up with a top of the line version with the improved dynamics of the four extra woofers of the NX-Otica. It would be about the same height as the NX-Treme's and would be a true full range tower with built in subs. This is just a thought experiment.

Glenng78

Looks like he has only a double stack ? I assume a triple may be too high. I have triples and was told the MTM’s would be too high on top of a triple

witchdoctor

I have been thinking of how to deal with the floor space issue with separate speakers and OB sub towers that all need to be out into the room. Looking at that last photo in e_biz80's NX-Treme post :https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=169138.0  gave me the solution. How about taking the NX-Otica's and turn them upside down and mount them on top of a triple stack of H frames? I bet that would be killer! With a little redesign of the top er bottom of the NX-Oitca's I bet it could work.

What do Ya'll think?

That is a very expensive experiment, I vote no way jose.

Sonicjoy

It was hard to tell in the photo but after looking closely and at other photos showing both, you are right it is a double stack of subs.

It wouldn't be any more expensive to try if a person was buying a set of NX-Otica's and subs anyway. It would be easy (at least for someone with woodworking skills) to rig up an adapter stand to support the speakers upside down for a test. Just looking to see if the idea is sound or not.

Danny I would love to hear your thoughts. Have you considered this before?
« Last Edit: 9 Apr 2020, 02:25 pm by Sonicjoy »

Captainhemo

I have been thinking of how to deal with the floor space issue with separate speakers and OB sub towers that all need to be out into the room. Looking at that last photo in e_biz80's NX-Treme post https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=169138.0 gave me the solution. How about taking the NX-Otica's and turn them upside down and mount them on top of a triple stack of H frames? I bet that would be killer! With a little redesign of the top er bottom of the NX-Oitca's I bet it could work.

What do Ya'll think?

A triple stack is 41"  tall   with no base / no top.   Top of NX-Otica to center of  tweeter is  10.5", youi could  shorten that by about an  inch.... 
I have so many models done  in differnt  ways to try and make this all work and keep it relatively attractive.
Go look at the super 7's,  they are  15.5"  wide from outer side panel to outer side panel,  the NX  series is  8.5" and  keeping the baffle  narrow   is important.

It goes on...  LOL

The easiest way to do something similar  to this would be to take our  S7 design and replace the upper baffle with a baffle housing  the 2 NQ's and a   GR Neo3 in  a custom waveguide like the  S7 ((different waveguide from the NX Series).  However, yoiu'd be increasing the baffle width as mentioned above  and there   wouldn't be room for any   M165(x) woofers unless the entire cabinet  was   taller....  Youi'd then need a re-work of the network

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
A bit of an odd suggestion, but you could use single sealed subs, then re configure the layout of the Oticas by moving 2 of the woofers to the top, essentially making them smaller NX-tremes?
Theoretically you could just build an inverted Otica,so long as the wings are braced in a similar manner to the Xtremes, unless you plan to glue/mount them permanently to the sub frames?

Sorry for the 1-min doodle, but its a visual that could hopefully make more sense? Its not 100% to scale obv, but maybe it'll give some ideas?

(Edited to fix image orientation)

Early B.

I like where y'all are going with this. It won't be pretty, but it could potentially be an option, particularly for those who already have dual servo subs and are looking for an easy path to upgrade to near top-of-line.

Captainhemo

I deally, yoou  want the NX  series speakers to be paired with  OB subs.
If you  want to add to existing   duals,  go with the MTM's  if you don't have the floor space for both subs and  speaekrs.
Go back  and look in the archived models  on the GR site,    find the OB7 Plus,  they havea  sealed sub in the bottom and the  4  M130(X)'s are split top/bottom

jay

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
So, while looking thru the NX-Otica development thread i saw this post:

... I modified it for two 12" drivers to fit the Wedgies. Wider and deeper but height is the same (plinth not on in this pic):

It will be easy to modify this 12" version to fit the wider NX-Otica or X-Otica. The front piece would need to be 1" wider than the front of the NX-Otica then the dimensions of the top, bottom and internal brace would need to be adjusted to fit. The 12" base units are 17-1/4" deep so the 14" deep NX-Otica will fit on top of the wider wedge without having to make any adjustments to the side panels.

By making the front piece 1" wider there will be 1/2" between the sides of the NX-Otica and the sides of the wedge base units.

Mike

So I spent a little more time drawing it out, and came up with these as a potential solutions.

Including rough estimates both the original Otica, Extreme, dual sub + inverted Otica, and a "fully integrated" Otica+ (center right).

I don't know how well it would work having opposing subs facing one another, but I'm guessing you could make them both face the same outward direction?

I also included a version (far right) with a singe outward-facing sealed(?) sub, tho I'm sure it could be ported, or just left open.. however, I also split the mid-woofers split between the top/bottom. Tho it meant that I had to raise the tweeter 2-4 inches to clear the woofer.

Any Thoughts?

Sonicjoy

Yes! That center picture is exactly what I had in mind. Great job Hobbs. Thanks for the drawings! I would add a plinth to that as well.
I also like your idea of the second from the right. Might actually make a more attractive look.

Now we just need to find out if there is anything that this design would do that could require any reworking of the crossover network.
Ideally it should be measured to see how the response looks.

Now if we want to get really crazy we could do a quad sub base unit. You want to draw that up Hobbs? Four 12" woofers 2 wide and 2 high. Would make for a wide stable base that would still take up less floor space than separate subs and mains. Although that may be a little harder to make visually appealing. (maybe we could incorporate a W frame design to help make the sub units a bit narrower). But Damn what a power house that would be!

I know this all may seem a bit over the top but hey many of us are sitting around the house with to much time on our hands and so the mind wonders.  :lol:

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
Glad you like the ideas! They can definitely make visualizing ideas a little easier!
But i can definitely do that!

VinceT

My brain does the same thing with speakers.

After looking at the A/V-O model, I though how cool it would be to mount the driver in the NX studios on the top and make that NX studio into an omni speaker with open baffle tweeter  :o

I think this is a great idea stacking the NX Oticas on top of the OB subs. Perhaps in that configuration (if I undertand the characteristics of the different models of M165 drivers) putting all the woofers below the tweeter and the sub, and the NQ drivers above the tweeter it would sound more cohesive and maybe a bit more open on the top end? I could be totally off on that assumption being it's still a woofer not a mid driver. Regardless that may sound killer!
« Last Edit: 9 Apr 2020, 06:37 am by VinceT »

Sonicjoy

The NX-Studio kind of is an omni speaker already. When I walk around them the sound appears to come out in all directions with more to the front and rear.

It is fun to think about the possibility's. The ideas are flowing now.  :D

Sonicjoy

Speaking of Ideas.

Regarding construction of the upside down NX_Otica's. All it would take is to use the NX-Treme as a template and cut it off at the right height and move the bottom plate up to the new position and you would have the new cabinet and a new set of plans. That would be very easy for someone with access to the different parts. Like maybe Captain Jay?  :popcorn:

RonP

Man I'm glad too see I'm not the only one with "crazy" speaker ideas.  :thumb:

Following this thread with interest.

Sonicjoy

HAHA! Welcome aboard the crazy train Ron.  :D

While there are many ways a person could go with this, my idea is to kind of keep it simple and stick with Danny's basic designs. I'm not trying to redesign them just take two proven designs and combine them into one more compact package. I think this idea would keep the performance of both intact and (most likely) not require any reworking of the crossovers. Both are still open baffle's and should work well in the same location out from the walls. Seems like a win win to me.

I have backed off the idea of the quad subs. After looking at more photos I think it would be too big and ugly.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
Looking at a few more pictures of the NX-tremes I misjudged the size of the side baffle opening, it reaches to roughly the same height as the phase plug of the center-most woofers.
So it won't be exactly symmetrical on the lower portion to the upper portion, without also raising the overall position of the speakers by a few inches. But still its not impossible to sort, esp if anyone does CAD work.
In the center-right design it shouldn't be too difficult to extend the opening to its full length, depending on how the woofers are positioned.. (Offset or single sided)
The single-sub model should be the least affected when it comes to the opening.

But I'll continue tweaking the ideas to see what i can come up with! 
:thumb:

Sonicjoy

I know it's hard to design based on just looking at pictures. Hard to see all the details.

Have fun!