Solving the floor space issue with subs and separate tower speakers (NX-Otica's)

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
Also, is there a preferred height of the middle of the Neo3 tweeter vs the listening ear height?   :no_hear:

Ideally the tweeter should be roughly in line with your ears, but some prefer to be just a little below, more inline with the lower mid woofers. With the slight lean of the Otica & Xtreme, it helps give the impression that you're sitting in the front row with the performers standing just above you.

(Tbh I'm used to sitting front row of the balcony at rock concerts that use massive, suspended line arrays, so I'm less picky about it)

Early B.

One of the questions that was asked, but I don't believe answered:  do the dual OB subs work as well when oriented horizontally as they do vertically? 

I've tried placing my OB servo subs horizontally and there's a not-so-subtle difference. I prefer the sound of the subs upright. However, I would encourage you to experiment.

Remember -- OB servo subs are playing at a higher frequency than typical subs, so placement is even more noticeable. I have a third OB servo sub placed horizontally between my main subs. This is done strictly for aesthetics. I can literally hear (and feel) that the bass from the horizontal sub is closer to the floor, but it sounds better in the correct orientation. 

Sonicjoy

Interesting Early B. I had a feeling that might be the case.

Captainhemo

6.5"  from front  edge of sub cab to  front of baffle,   same on rear side of baffle....   increasing that distance will  allow for a bit more SPL  ( not needed) but  decrease how high they will play.

And yes, you  can lay them own on their sides horizontally, there are  nulls to the  "sides" so it works  fine. You  can  drive up to  3  SW12 16FR's per  amplifier so keep that in mind when planning  a cabinet

Tweeter height is going to depend on  how  well  your  speakers  perform off axis vs  on axis  ( vertically). 
Witht he entire  NX  series, the vertical off axis is exellent,   tweeter ehight is not a concern..... in fact, I personally  like the slightly   "higher than normal" tweeter  height as it seems to  raise the soundstage a bit to a more reallistic leve

dayneger

I've tried placing my OB servo subs horizontally and there's a not-so-subtle difference. I prefer the sound of the subs upright. However, I would encourage you to experiment.

Remember -- OB servo subs are playing at a higher frequency than typical subs, so placement is even more noticeable. I have a third OB servo sub placed horizontally between my main subs. This is done strictly for aesthetics. I can literally hear (and feel) that the bass from the horizontal sub is closer to the floor, but it sounds better in the correct orientation. 

That's very interesting feedback.  Could you share where you're crossing over that central sub?  In theory rolling it off quite low should reduce that localization... in theory.  :wink:

I'm also wondering whether a sub on its side, with a mostly intact Otica tower on top of it (say, MTMWW) would sound more integrated.

6.5"  from front  edge of sub cab to  front of baffle,   same on rear side of baffle....   increasing that distance will  allow for a bit more SPL  ( not needed) but  decrease how high they will play.

If SPL is sufficient with duals, what explains the interest in triples and quads?  Does having sub drivers higher up off the floor play a role?  Would a vertical quad would different (better?) than a 2x2 quad?  Noting that for me it's academic--no room for such beasts--but it's hard not to be curious anyway.  :D

Sonicjoy

More drivers share the load better. Each driver moves less to move a given amount of air, thus sound more effortless.
« Last Edit: 23 Mar 2021, 02:58 am by Sonicjoy »

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
That was the first word that came to mind when I heard Danny's NX-Tremes last year, esp being driven by a 8W 300B.. :o

PZ

After reading all the discussions about Otica MTM's it got me interested in wanting to build out a pair.
I currently have dual ob subs and NX Studio Monitors.
I imagine there would have to be an increase in dynamics due to the added driver in the MTM configuration and full open baffle.

Anyone have baffles or flat packs available for NX Otica MTM's?