$75.00 Sharp SD-EX111 : SOLD OUT

dave_c

« Reply #60 on: 24 Jan 2005, 10:01 pm »
Thanks for the review Danny.  It's good to hear that the aux input and amp section work well.  I just received it today and its a lot heavier than I expected it to be.  It also looks much nicer than in the pictures.  The brushed aluminum with the mirrored display panel is a nice touch.

Can't wait to fire it up.  Still need speakers though!

KT

« Reply #61 on: 25 Jan 2005, 12:02 am »
Great review, Danny. I wonder if this unit improves with a good burn-in, like the JVC units.

I'm waiting for mine to arrive, but I can't wait to try it out.

Let's see if it gets better with some use.

Best,
KT

suits_me

« Reply #62 on: 25 Jan 2005, 12:09 am »
>Can you operate a pre-amp from this ?

This question is confusing as phrased, and perhaps that is why no one has addressed it. We'll need you to describe in a couple sentences what you're trying to do.

But the answer probably is no, since there are no pre/power jacks. The analog in will accept a CD or DVD player, but you don't avoid the preamp functions built into the Sharp.

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #63 on: 25 Jan 2005, 01:43 am »
Quote from: KT
Vinny,

How do these compare to the little Sonic Impact amps?

I think this would make a great bedroom or office system. Everything in one box!

Cool.

KT

KT,

I haven't listened to a stock Sonic Impact in a long time, but I must admit that the Sharp is a fantastic value and has a lot of potential!  The power supply is all linear too!  :D  

Regards,

Vinnie

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #64 on: 25 Jan 2005, 02:37 am »
Quote from: suits_me
>Can you operate a pre-amp from this ?

This question is confusing as phrased, and perhaps that is why no one has addressed it. We'll need you to describe in a couple sentences what you're trying to do.

But the answer probably is no, since there are no pre/power jacks. The analog in will accept a CD or DVD player, but you don't avoid the preamp functions built into the Sharp.

you could hook a preamp up to the analog input, & then connect your sources to that.  but, as stated, it will not bypass the preamp circuitry of the sharp.  but, if ya yust max'd out the sharp's gain control & left it there, then functionally at least, the preamp would operate the sharp as if it were an amp.  

in fact, i run a creek obh-12 in this fashion, thru a line input of my melos preamp, when i wanna do direct a-b comparisons of tunas...   :wink:   in my case, the creek is wirtually transparent.  but, i set the melos' gain to a level such that the creek's wolume is max'd out for desired leistening level, as that's the piece i want removed from the sonic equation...

doug s.

Bemopti123

« Reply #65 on: 25 Jan 2005, 05:26 am »
Just got the piece and I must say it is impressive.  It is not lightweight, and I have it connected it my Fostex 208 Sigma drivers in a Zhorn cabinet, along with a 800watt Class D Bash amplified Infinity Subwoofer and as for powercord, it is connected to a Virtual Dynamics NITE II, which cost at least a  good 8X the cost of the mini.  

For what I can hear, the Mini is breaking in, but for whatever it is worth it is the coolest looking system that is no sloucher in contrast to other gear I have.

Other gear which are black or "cold" with envy:

Final Music 6 battery powered op amp.
First Sound Paramount Hot Rod MKII
47 Labs Shigaraki Transport
Bel Canto DAC-2.0.

Let me see how the set up will sound like with good break in.

dave_c

« Reply #66 on: 25 Jan 2005, 06:01 pm »
Fired it up last night and it sounded pretty good.  Unfortunately only had a pair of Infinity RS4's from 1999 to listen on.  Still sounds much better than my Pioneer HT receiver.

Heard some Eclipse TD 307's at AudioVision in SF yesterday.  Paired with a Linn Sub playing off of an iPod Mini, they sound incredible.  I think they would be an awesome match with the Sharp.  Check them out if you are in the Bay Area!

nature boy

« Reply #67 on: 25 Jan 2005, 06:30 pm »
Those Eclipse Time Domain speakers are very, very cool looking.  Anyone know sellers in the Philadelphia, PA area?  I have to hook up the Sharp to these and give a listen.

NB

dave_c

« Reply #68 on: 25 Jan 2005, 06:57 pm »
From what the Rep at AudioVision told me, they are the only store to have them in the US.  The only other source for TD's that I've found is:

http://www.audiocubes.com

Pricing is about the same at both places, although AudioVision is a little cheaper.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #69 on: 25 Jan 2005, 08:01 pm »
check out these eclipse td307 specs.  can't see how they'd be a good match w/this sharp amp.  or any amp, for that matter.  i know, the proof is in the listening, not specs, but still...

# Rated input: 12W
# Largest input: 24W
# Impedance: 8 Ω
# Efficiency/sensitivity: 80.0dB/W ・ m
# Playback frequency zone: 120Hz - 20kHz (-10dB)

doug s.

dave_c

« Reply #70 on: 25 Jan 2005, 09:16 pm »
Yeah the specs look pretty bad, but the sound is pretty good.  From what I got ouf of reading the website and reviews, Eclipse kind of disreagards the need for a flat frequency response and tries to achieve a perfect phase or time response instead.  I just heard a quick demo off of an iPod playin apple lossless (iThink) and it sounded nice and 3 dimensional.  Positioning seemed to play a big role as the sound changed a lot when I changed my listening position.  

The Eclipse amp looked pretty damn cool too.  Its fairly small and based specs I wouldn't be surprised if it was a digital amp or a chip amp.  Either way try and listen to them if you can.  I wish I could have listened to the 512's as well, but they weren't setup.  Those things are huge and heavy!

nature boy

« Reply #71 on: 25 Jan 2005, 10:32 pm »
Ouch, just saw the price too.  Looks like I'll wait for Kevin's DIY kits as originally planned.

NB

dave_c

« Reply #72 on: 25 Jan 2005, 11:55 pm »
Yeah I had a hard time justifying $440 mini speakers for my $75 amp.  Either way $515 for a complete system with speakers isn't bad right!
I'd love to hear Kevin's kit as well.  I just wish they could fit on my desk.

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.gr-research.com
Small speakers
« Reply #73 on: 26 Jan 2005, 01:05 am »
If you are really looking for the best deal on the really small speakers then I think this is it.

http://www.creativesound.ca/details.php?model=ELF1.0DK

The small MDF boxes are pretty easy to build too.

I have a set of them and they do sound very good.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #74 on: 26 Jan 2005, 02:46 pm »
Quote from: nature boy
Ouch, just saw the price too.  Looks like I'll wait for Kevin's DIY kits as originally planned.

NB

80db-efficient speakers, -10db at 120hz & 20khz, 12wrms/24w peak power input...  i'm surprised that they can give these things away, let alone sell them...   :roll:

ymmv,

doug s.

J@ck

« Reply #75 on: 26 Jan 2005, 05:01 pm »
The Epos ELS3 or the CBM170 would be great with this.

Soundbitten

« Reply #76 on: 27 Jan 2005, 01:47 am »
I've been breaking mine in since Sat. . The highs are starting to smooth out and the harshness is disappearing . Love the headphone feature too.

Bemopti123

« Reply #77 on: 27 Jan 2005, 02:42 am »
I ran it with a pair of Epos ES 11 and they pumped out some mean sound.
Wow.  It was really rocking.

The volume setting via remote or other switches goes up to a max of 40, at 30+ I was reaching loud levels...very clean and with a subwoofer wired, $75 figures just went up in smokes.  

Clean, definetly not tubey or sounding like normal SS, very clean sounding.

viggen

« Reply #78 on: 29 Jan 2005, 08:19 pm »
Just want to add this thing sounds much better when playing the nixon dackit/nec multispin through the aux than with the built in cd player.

Bemopti123

« Reply #79 on: 30 Jan 2005, 02:55 pm »
Thanks for the tip Viggen, now I will plug the Shigaraki transport with the Bel Canto through the Auxiliary.  The tuner sound quality in this things is questionable, but the convenience of a remote is great.