$75.00 Sharp SD-EX111 : SOLD OUT

Kevin P

• http://www.diycable.com
« Reply #40 on: 19 Jan 2005, 05:32 am »
Yeah... I wouldn't put a whole lot of confidence in their power ratings.   I'd count on getting about 15 usable watts @ the rated impedance.    You would be best off using a 4 Ohm load because in the very best situation your looking at 8-10W into 8 Ohms.

My mistake earlier.... for some reason I thought the thing was rated for about 50W into 8 Ohms.

Kevin P

• http://www.diycable.com
« Reply #41 on: 19 Jan 2005, 05:35 am »
Quote from: dave_c
Great news!  Kevin what are the physical dimensions of the driver.  I couldn't find it on the site.  Also, would it be possible to get the 8ohm version in the truncated frame?  It would make it easier to make a narrow box.

Good question.... I don't think we have an actual CAD file of the basket.   My suggestion for people building speakers is always to have the driver in hand before cutting wood.   There are always things that you don't think of when looking at a drawing.

Sorry... 16 Ohm only in truncated basket.

KKM

« Reply #42 on: 19 Jan 2005, 04:20 pm »
I've had mines for over a week now and liked it so much that I purchased another one. Despite the ratings it does play fairly loud on my norh 6.9's, but does get a little congested at ear splitting level. It is fairly musical and detail with great bass output. I purchased mainly for my wife so that she wouldn't mess with my main system but I have been enjoying it for the past week. It is very well built and has a small footprint. It has a nice dot matrix display, similar to some heavy duty manufacturing equipments that I've seen. It does accept banana and spades and has removable cord. With a built in radio, CD player and aux this unit is well worth the money, that's why I purchased a 2nd unit. The only thing I am afraid of is how reliable that motor is that sucks the CD in/out. I can't do a quick A/B with my Bryston/ARC but at normal listening level there's not a huge difference, I'll have to listen more intently for a while.

dave_c

« Reply #43 on: 19 Jan 2005, 11:19 pm »
Thanks for the info Kevin.  Its so easy to get out of hand, but I'm trying to remember that this is my system for my PC.  I'd love to have a set of small floorstanders, but then I remembered that I just sold a set.

What speakers are you all using with the Sharp?  Results?

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #44 on: 20 Jan 2005, 04:10 am »
Hey guys!

I was curious about this all-in-one system and for $75, had to get one.  I just received it today and was able to play it for only about 30 min, but I must say that I already believe that it is a great deal for the money.   It is amazing how they can give you so much for so little.  

When I get a chance, I'll give it a real listen.

Thanks for the info about it (eric the red)  :)  

-Vinnie

nature boy

« Reply #45 on: 20 Jan 2005, 11:48 am »
Vinnie,

Let us know if you will be doing and/or offering any mods!!!!

NB

KT

« Reply #46 on: 20 Jan 2005, 03:34 pm »
Are they sold out? The link brings me to Overstock's homepage, and I can't find the category the were listed in before - minisystems.

If anyone can find it, please give a shout out.

Thanks,
KT

tubeytubeamp

« Reply #47 on: 20 Jan 2005, 03:35 pm »
Isn't it amazing how these digital amps have made us digress in some respects as to the type of equip we have.

My progession of amplifiers is something like this

Aiwa minisystem circa 1993=>H/K receiver=>solid state integrateds and seperates=>tube integrateds and seperates=>Jvc digital receiver.

I guess things run full circle. I'll be ordering the Sharp too. It will probably end up in the babies room however.

Dennis

KT

« Reply #48 on: 20 Jan 2005, 03:39 pm »
Never mind! Clicking on the link brought it up again. Strange. Was shipping always $2.95, or was it free at some point?

Yeah, these digital amps are great. I was hoping that at some point good sound could be had for cheap. Well, today is that day!

KT

dave_c

« Reply #49 on: 20 Jan 2005, 03:51 pm »
i got $2.95.  that's pretty sweet for shipping.  free would have been great, but i'm not complaining.  they also have that yamaha YST-105 sub for $89.  tempted, even though i already have a sub.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #50 on: 20 Jan 2005, 05:10 pm »
Quote from: dave_c
i got $2.95.  that's pretty sweet for shipping.  free would have been great, but i'm not complaining.  they also have that yamaha YST-105 sub for $89.  tempted, even though i already have a sub.

dave, ya may wanna consider getting a pair of those subs - the site sez they're almost gone.  i have a pair of yst-sw305's, which have two of those 8" drivers in each sub, facing forward, not down.  amazing performance, considering the size.  audiojerry has a pair of the 205's, which he also likes - a forward-facing iteration of those 105's.  no, my 305's aren't up to the performance of my vmps larger subs, but they are still really nice in a smaller room. (smaller for me - the room is still a decent-sized 15x24x8.)

doug s.

dave_c

« Reply #51 on: 20 Jan 2005, 05:27 pm »
Man its so tempting.  Too bad I have no use for them.  I already have a custom sealed 10" using the adire SX-10 driver so this would be pointless.  Not only that I don't even have any speakers to pair them with!   :lol:

Soundbitten

« Reply #52 on: 20 Jan 2005, 06:44 pm »
I ordered one and it should arrive around the 25th . I mainly got it to use at a rental cottage this summer . Would I be shortchanging it to match it with a pair of DAK BSR bookshelf speakers? Anyhow it's gotta be better than on old boombox.

KT

« Reply #53 on: 21 Jan 2005, 02:17 pm »
Vinny,

How do these compare to the little Sonic Impact amps?

I think this would make a great bedroom or office system. Everything in one box!

Cool.

KT

KT

« Reply #54 on: 21 Jan 2005, 02:23 pm »
Is this the same amp with speakers?

http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2.cgi?PAGE=PROFRAME&PROD_ID=1082649&TID=elestore20041101&IID=PRO:1082649

The model number is SD-EX101, and the amp looks the same, but it comes with two speakers.

KT

KT

« Reply #55 on: 21 Jan 2005, 02:39 pm »
Is this the same amp with speakers?

http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2.cgi?PAGE=PROFRAME&PROD_ID=1082649&TID=elestore20041101&IID=PRO:1082649

The model number is SD-EX101, and the amp looks the same, but it comes with two speakers.

KT

KT

« Reply #56 on: 21 Jan 2005, 03:07 pm »
On second glance, I don't think these are the same amps.

The SD-EX111 (without speakers) is speced at 5.6MHz sampling and 20 watts/channel.

The SD-EX101 (the one with the speakers) is rated at 2.8MHz sampling and 25 watts/channel.

I'd think the higher sampling rate is preferable, but I have no idea of the sonic differences.

Thanks for the link. FYI, the $5 off offer ended on the 15th. I just missed it by less than a week. Still looks like a good deal, though.

Best,
KT

suits_me

« Reply #57 on: 22 Jan 2005, 06:48 am »
I am pretty sure the lower sampling rate ones are cheaper via amazon. At least they were two weeks ago. One of these lower sampling ones, which come with speakers, will take a sub. Didn't interest me though. I want to use better than mini system speakers.

Soundbitten

« Reply #58 on: 22 Jan 2005, 09:22 pm »
Can you operate  a pre-amp from this ?

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.gr-research.com
I heard it.
« Reply #59 on: 24 Jan 2005, 06:46 pm »
Hey guys.

A local guy brought one of these over on Saturday. I think he found out about them from this thread. We gave it a good listen and made some comparisons with it.

I set up a system using A/V-1's driven by a small power amp (30 watt pure class A solid state amp), simple tube pre-amp and as a source we were using an Ack dAck being feed by Rega Planet as a transport and sitting on a Dodd Audio Levitator.

Listened a little then dropped in the Sharp unit... Okay it was a little out classed in the comparison. And it did let the sound stage collapsed a little and images to get stacked up on each other. Detail level was down. Vocals were not real lush anymore. Not as musically involving either. But on a good side, it had nice balance. It was not harsh, and the bass control was good.

While we did drive it to its limits powering the 86db sensitivity A/V-1's it really didn't seam to get compressed. I turned it all the way up at one point and it just started to show a little sign of compression and running out of juice. It did not clip like a solid state amp does or fly all to pieces. Plus it was still able to drive the speakers to good levels with most music and we were in a 17 by 23 foot room with 9 foot ceilings.

Then we connected the output of the dAck straight into the axillary input.  

Wow, I was impressed. It sounded pretty good. Much of the drawback before appeared to be the CD player itself. The amplification section was not bad at all. Imaging was good. Detail level returned. Bass response was still very good. Vocals had a little bit of the lushness back too. Much of the qualities of the modded Ack dAck came right through. This unit sounded way better than it had a right to for what it cost.

Of course when we were taking the system back down Chris pointed out that the power cord we had on it was a 12 gauge heat treated, cryo treated cable that retailed for $225. I guess we were feeding it pretty good power too.  :mrgreen:

It didn't better the tube pre-amp driving the class A amp, but for a small room system it was hard to justify the large difference in cost considering the narrow disparity in performance. I think the digital amp deal in general still has a way to go to out class the high end gear but it is getting real close for very little money. I think these digital amps are going to be the wave of the future for home theater and any budget system.

Thanks for the initial post. This little unit was way cool to play with.