NFL Football ('14-'15)

mick wolfe

Re: NFL Football ('14-'15)
« Reply #520 on: 12 Jan 2015, 06:43 pm »
Bryant got greedy. If he had not reached for the goal line, the Cowboys would likely have gone ahead and used more time doing so. Live and learn. With the ball inside the two yard line and four downs to score a touchdown, it is near certain that the Cowboys would have taken the lead and put the onus on GB to beat the clock.

Yeah, but that "reach" is an instinctive move you see from about any player with the goal line lurking only a yard or two away. I still stand by my assertion that the "Calvin Johnson catch rule" stinks. On another note, I totally agree with your assessment of poor Peyton. His arm looks to be toast. Too many floaters that allow defenders to recover and make a play. However, he appears to have a lively future in commercials. Yes, I'm afraid Denver appears to be a sinking ship as well.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #521 on: 12 Jan 2015, 07:03 pm »
If the ball hadn't hit the ground causing it to pop out and Dez losing control, it would have been a different story....
You gotta back up there, cab. If Bryant had held the ball to his body he could have held it with two hands securely. Instead he chose to break his fall with one hand and reach toward the goal line with the one hand holding the ball. Hitting the ground jarred the ball loose temporarily. He regained control but the hated CJ rule doomed his effort.
Next year .....................

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #522 on: 12 Jan 2015, 07:05 pm »
Bryant got greedy. If he had not reached for the goal line, the Cowboys would likely have gone ahead and used more time doing so. Live and learn. With the ball inside the two yard line and four downs to score a touchdown, it is near certain that the Cowboys would have taken the lead and put the onus on GB to beat the clock.

mcgsxr

« Reply #523 on: 12 Jan 2015, 07:29 pm »
I am not a Cowboys fan (nor a Green Bay fan - actually a Charger fan!) but that call bugged me.

I respect that it was in line with what the rule is, but it was a crap outcome for a good catch.

Too bad for Manning, but his time has come and gone.  We will see how Luck stands up in the next round.

I'd love to see a Panthers - Seahawks final, but my track record for picking is total crap!

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #524 on: 12 Jan 2015, 09:02 pm »
I am not a Cowboys fan (nor a Green Bay fan - actually a Charger fan!) but that call bugged me.

I respect that it was in line with what the rule is, but it was a crap outcome for a good catch.

Too bad for Manning, but his time has come and gone.  We will see how Luck stands up in the next round.

I'd love to see a Panthers - Seahawks final, but my track record for picking is total crap!
Mark - Are you aware that Panthers- Seahawks was played 2 days ago? Do you think things would have been different if it had been the final?
As for Peyton, he had a good run in the NFL and will be in demand for sports broadcasting jobs. And, of course, there has been no announcement of his retirement. Quite possibly he was hurt 6-8 weeks ago and chose to conceal the fact. His subpar play may have been due to a temporary problem but, being an old guy myself, I'm well aware of physical decline. Football is a young man's game.
Maybe Peyton will go back to the bayou and coach against Favre.

Chazro

« Reply #525 on: 12 Jan 2015, 09:53 pm »
Sung to the Nationwide commercial melody -

Peyton  Had  To  Win  That  Game!!  ;)

mcgsxr

« Reply #526 on: 12 Jan 2015, 10:22 pm »
Apologies.  I space out on the 4 remaining teams!

bluemike

« Reply #527 on: 12 Jan 2015, 10:31 pm »
Indianapolis at New England
Green bay at Seattle

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #528 on: 13 Jan 2015, 02:12 am »
Broncos have parted ways with John Fox. I take that as good news. Perhaps one of the co-ordinators who have been interviewing for head coaching jobs elsewhere will ascend to the throne. Del Rio is a pretty good guess.

I'm not too hopeful about Elway's decision insofar as he hired Fox.

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #529 on: 13 Jan 2015, 02:19 am »
...As for Peyton, he had a good run in the NFL and will be in demand for sports broadcasting jobs. And, of course, there has been no announcement of his retirement. Quite possibly he was hurt 6-8 weeks ago and chose to conceal the fact. His subpar play may have been due to a temporary problem but, being an old guy myself, I'm well aware of physical decline. Football is a young man's game.
Maybe Peyton will go back to the bayou and coach against Favre.

No love for Peyton?

He made it to the Super Bowl this past year, then led the Team to 12 and 4 this year, won the AFC West, had a bye week and then a Playoff game at home. I don't think he'll be broadcasting any time soon. John Fox is looking for work, though...

I only hope that Peyton stays with his charitable work...  :green:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdFg6lV-TDg

TomS

« Reply #530 on: 13 Jan 2015, 02:27 am »
No love for Peyton?

He made it to the Super Bowl this past year, then led the Team to 12 and 4 this year, won the AFC West, had a bye week and then a Playoff game at home. I don't think he'll be broadcasting any time soon. John Fox is looking for work, though...

I only hope that Peyton stays with his charitable work...  :green:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdFg6lV-TDg
Or perhaps examples like this http://peytonmanning.stvincent.org/, estimated at ~$50mm?

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #531 on: 13 Jan 2015, 04:01 am »

Yes, thank you.  Greedy for sure.  Be the big hero, individual over team, everything Dallas stands for.  Fitting they lost the game on that play.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #532 on: 16 Jan 2015, 01:18 am »
And the 2014 Pro Football Writers of America select for the NFL executive of the Year.........ehhh .....Jerry Jones!!!!
I imagine that more than a few of our football aware members just tasted a bit of vomit.  But I must agree.  This is the continuation of the process of JJ backing away from the owner/GM chimera model- and finally becoming more trusting of his professional football staff. 
Has he finally figured out that stepping back is more effective?... goes against the crazy Jerry as the new Al meme.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #533 on: 16 Jan 2015, 04:44 pm »
Seattle has it all.  Team speed, self belief, a very good and mobile QB, a dude that can run with the ball, and a TOP shelf defense!!  Their gonna hurt some Packer fan feelings.  Assuming New England beats Indy, and I think they should, what can Belachick and company do to slow these guys down?  I give him and company the best chance, but Seattle has what it takes to make them look old.  At least the game won't be played in Seattle. 

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #534 on: 18 Jan 2015, 07:32 pm »
I'll root for Green Bay even if I think their chances are pretty slim.
Green Bay/Colts would be what I'd like to see.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #535 on: 18 Jan 2015, 09:30 pm »
Green Bay's chances are looking better all the time. With 2 minutes left to play in the first half, they are up 16-0 and Seattle's defenders are being called for some of their pass interference infractions for a change. The 12th man is not having much impact.

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #536 on: 18 Jan 2015, 09:39 pm »
The hit Clay Matthews put on Wilson was worth one hell of a lot more than 15 yards. What a great play!

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #537 on: 18 Jan 2015, 09:40 pm »
Green Bay should be up by more than 16 but it is nice to see Seattle get a little rattled

I like Strahans pregame quote " who needs the 12th man when you got number 12...man!"

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #538 on: 18 Jan 2015, 09:54 pm »
The hit Clay Matthews put on Wilson was worth one hell of a lot more than 15 yards. What a great play!
Very true. I've often wondered why teams don't do this much more often. If the QB throws an interception, he is no longer subject to QB protection rules and can be eliminated like Matthews did during the return. Also have always thought that kick returners should try to trample the opposing kicker rather than running out of bounds to avoid him. You might cripple the opponents kicker and get a touchdown too.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #539 on: 18 Jan 2015, 11:22 pm »
This has got to be one of the more poorly played NFC Championship games I can ever remember. Green Bay's lack of aggressiveness will haunt them if they lose. What a shame they don't go after Sherman, everybody and their Grandmother knows he's hurt...well except for Green Bay.