sts9fan

Re: NFL Football ('14-'15)
« Reply #600 on: 22 Jan 2015, 01:35 am »
GO PATS!!!!!

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #601 on: 22 Jan 2015, 02:52 am »
I can't figure out who pooped the bed worse - the Pats or the NFL.

The league inspected each of the Patriots’ 12 game balls twice at halftime, using different pressure gauges, and found footballs that were not properly inflated. ESPN says 11 of the 12 were found out of spec.

Spec pressure for a NFL football is between 12.5 and 13.5 psi. ESPN said that the pressures were about 2 pounds below spec.

A soft ball would be easier to catch, especially in the rain. Yet the NFL, seeing this discrepancy at halftime, allows the game to continue with said questionable game balls still in play.  :duh:

At best, this is utter incompetence on behalf of the Pats. At worst, it's cheating.

I think the Game Refs, the Officials involved at said halftime and the Pats should all be disqualified and summarily barred from the Super Bowl.  :evil:

jimdgoulding

« Reply #602 on: 22 Jan 2015, 03:23 am »
Your being too kind.  No way it was incompetence.  If they deflated the balls after the refs did their thing, I believe that would come under cheating.  Not that I care much.  I mean who knows how much practical difference that made compared to their competition.  Think they win the SB cause they are almost a perfect team. 

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #603 on: 22 Jan 2015, 05:39 am »
If they broke a rule it had to be the most idiot, pointless rule in the history of organized sport.  Why for the love of all that's good in the world should the ball not be aired to the optimal degree?  It's like having a rule that your bowling ball must be slightly out of round.  Beyond idiotic.  But of course by this point there are those Inspector Javert types in the NFL that would nail Coach B to the cross for drinking directly out of the milk carton. :lol:

jimdgoulding

« Reply #604 on: 22 Jan 2015, 03:43 pm »
Heard on ESPN this morning something I didn't know.  The deflated balls were discovered in the first half and replaced by the refs for the second.  Didn't the Pats score like 28 points in the second half?  Belachick denied any knowledge of all this this morning.  Brady is to have a press conference this afternoon.  Wonder what he is gonna say.  Hard to believe that HE couldn't tell the difference*.  Richard Sherman is doin his thing today to get under Brady's skin.

Are Manny P. and Floyd M. ever gonna actually fight?  Or, are we just getting some "cold cuts".  My daughter and I get the biggest kick outta that commercial.

*I'm bettin he will take the heat off his coach.  No way he didn't know about this.  Say he's sorry and move on.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #605 on: 22 Jan 2015, 03:49 pm »
Thought this was interesting...not sure it will satisfy the masses though.

Apparently a deflated ball is easier to intercept! Who knew?

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=12207314&categoryid=2378529
« Last Edit: 22 Jan 2015, 05:59 pm by Tomy2Tone »

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #606 on: 22 Jan 2015, 05:30 pm »
Thought this was interesting...not sure it will satisfy the masses though.

Apparently a deflated is easier to intercept! Who knew?

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=12207314&categoryid=2378529

AHAAA!! I had forgotten about the rain. Indy plays in a dome and New England is a notorious bad weather team. Bellichick made it rain to give his team an unfair advantage. Of course, since Seattle is a team from a rainy locale who plays in an open stadium, Bellichick will surely make it not rain in Glendale in order to get an edge in the Super Bowl. Will that man stop at nothing?

I suppose the SOB will overinflate the footballs then in order to make Beast Mode fumble and cause extra pain in Sherman's possibly injured extremity. With that kind of an edge working against him, Pete Carroll may as well stay home.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #607 on: 22 Jan 2015, 10:17 pm »
Nope, Brady didn't know a thing.  Felt the same to him.  The guy they shoulda been askin is the guy whose responsibility the balls are except that he's probably on a paid vacation half way around the world. 

soundbitten1

« Reply #608 on: 22 Jan 2015, 10:47 pm »
Mark Brunell, Jerome Bettis And Brian Dawkins Do Not Believe A Damn Word Tom Brady Just Said.

http://www.sportsgrid.com/nfl/mark-brunell-jerome-bettis-and-brian-dawkins-do-not-believe-a-damn-word-tom-brady-just-said/

jimdgoulding

« Reply #609 on: 23 Jan 2015, 12:16 am »
Mark Brunell, Jerome Bettis And Brian Dawkins Do Not Believe A Damn Word Tom Brady Just Said.

http://www.sportsgrid.com/nfl/mark-brunell-jerome-bettis-and-brian-dawkins-do-not-believe-a-damn-word-tom-brady-just-said/
I don't either.  Brady just had that school boy grin and just wanted play football.  He was just so innocent and "what is all the fuss" about charming.  It was sickening.  This had to be someone's idea to get out in front of the public before the league commissioner and little else.

jhm731

« Reply #610 on: 23 Jan 2015, 01:19 am »

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #612 on: 23 Jan 2015, 02:18 am »
If they broke a rule it had to be the most idiot, pointless rule in the history of organized sport.  Why for the love of all that's good in the world should the ball not be aired to the optimal degree?  It's like having a rule that your bowling ball must be slightly out of round.  Beyond idiotic.  But of course by this point there are those Inspector Javert types in the NFL that would nail Coach B to the cross for drinking directly out of the milk carton. :lol:

The problem with this most idiotic rule ever is that Indy was playing by that rule. Why? Because it's a rule.

Maybe Indy wouldn't have gotten their asses handed to 'em if they had been allowed to select whatever pressure they wanted. But they weren't allowed to do that, because that's against the rules. Why should the Pats get to choose?  :scratch:

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #614 on: 23 Jan 2015, 02:54 am »
The problem with this most idiotic rule ever is that Indy was playing by that rule. Why? Because it's a rule.

Maybe Indy wouldn't have gotten their asses handed to 'em if they had been allowed to select whatever pressure they wanted. But they weren't allowed to do that, because that's against the rules. Why should the Pats get to choose?  :scratch:
Some of you guys just can't let go, I see. You really think that the Colts had any prayer at all of beating N.E. in that game? Do you really believe that some insignificant variation in inflation pressure could have been meaningful in any way? Do you think that the balls were changed at every change of possession? The whole notion makes no sense. There are quite a few variables over which neither team has any control that impact a game far more than ball inflation pressure. Take, for instance, the enforcement of pass interference. Refs are all over the map on that one. Holding seems to be called whimsically. Interior linemen hold on every play but the refs call it as if using a Ouija board. Then kick in wind and weather, humidity and old fashioned luck. All of these considerations dwarf the invented impact of psi.

Use your heads and don't be told by the media what to think. This is a tempest in a teapot dreamed up by writers to generate interest during the bye week when little else is happening. And keep in mind that the NFL is just show biz. Its got more in common with professional wrestling than any of us want to accept. Their desire is to sell tickets, souvenirs, collectibles, jerseys, air time, etc. and keep our minds away from things that really matter. Quoting ex football players who carry double digit IQs and 9th grade educations when you know full well they work for the machine that whipped all this fiction into existence, is the height of folly. Take off the blinders and unclench your jaws. No use for bluster on this one. It's just hot air.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #615 on: 23 Jan 2015, 03:31 am »

Actually the game was very close while the "deflated" balls were in play.  The Colts didn't their asses truly handed to them til the regulation balls were swapped in.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #616 on: 23 Jan 2015, 03:47 am »
Some of you guys just can't let go, I see. You really think that the Colts had any prayer at all of beating N.E. in that game? Do you really believe that some insignificant variation in inflation pressure could have been meaningful in any way? Do you think that the balls were changed at every change of possession? The whole notion makes no sense. There are quite a few variables over which neither team has any control that impact a game far more than ball inflation pressure. Take, for instance, the enforcement of pass interference. Refs are all over the map on that one. Holding seems to be called whimsically. Interior linemen hold on every play but the refs call it as if using a Ouija board. Then kick in wind and weather, humidity and old fashioned luck. All of these considerations dwarf the invented impact of psi.

Use your heads and don't be told by the media what to think. This is a tempest in a teapot dreamed up by writers to generate interest during the bye week when little else is happening. And keep in mind that the NFL is just show biz. Its got more in common with professional wrestling than any of us want to accept. Their desire is to sell tickets, souvenirs, collectibles, jerseys, air time, etc. and keep our minds away from things that really matter. Quoting ex football players who carry double digit IQs and 9th grade educations when you know full well they work for the machine that whipped all this fiction into existence, is the height of folly. Take off the blinders and unclench your jaws. No use for bluster on this one. It's just hot air.

It's not about that game, MJ, it's a team that has been caught cheating once, getting caught again.  And if Brady, a guy who makes his living with a football in his hand, couldn't tell the difference, he's either really stupid or he thinks the rest of us are.  Hell, the DB realized it right away!   :roll:

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #617 on: 23 Jan 2015, 03:57 am »
I'm no Colts fan and, in fact, I think the AFC sucks. I understand the media, with all of its nuances, and they really have no part in how I feel. I'm a fan of the game, and this game needs an asterisk on it for all of time.

barrows

• Industry Participant
« Reply #618 on: 23 Jan 2015, 05:54 am »
The rumour I heard, was that someone from the Raven's had alerted the Colts about the ball pressures...
So perhaps this is just another case of the Patriots looking for any advantage they can get away with, legal or not.

Anyone who has ever engaged in any sport seriously knows for sure that Brady is lying when he claims to not be able to tell when the ball is 2 PSI low in pressure. 

Whatever, it is the Patriots...

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #619 on: 23 Jan 2015, 01:41 pm »
It's not about that game, MJ, it's a team that has been caught cheating once, getting caught again.  And if Brady, a guy who makes his living with a football in his hand, couldn't tell the difference, he's either really stupid or he thinks the rest of us are.  Hell, the DB realized it right away!   :roll:
Bob, ole buddy, the refs handle the ball after every play and it is their job to recognize irregularities in its condition. They did not report any problem until a Colts player got the opportunity to take a Patriots' ball to the sidelines and test it. Then the brouhaha erupted and the "problem" ( was it really a problem and did it really provide an advantage - 2 things being assumed by all) was "corrected". Then, as Rob Babcock pointed out, the chastised Patriots, without the advantage of cheating they supposedly enjoyed during a close first half, went on to clobber the Colts 28-0 in the second half. Do you really believe that the circumstances as they unfolded indicate that someone had any advantage as a result of misinflated game balls?

There is no proof of cheating - just the assertion that the Patriots cheated in the past so they probably did so again.

There has been no advantage demonstrated concerning inflation levels. Perhaps Brady is more effective with a harder ball.

Andrew Luck was unable to do much of anything with the balls he handled. When was the last game when anyone beat the Patriots with 7 points? Has anything been said about the Patriots tampering with the balls the Colts used? Is it possible both teams used the same ball?

Does anyone anywhere look to the owner of the Colts as a paragon of virtue, a man above reproach in the area of morals or scruples? Does he get a pass in all of this? Isn't he the guy who bought your Baltimore Colts and moved them to Indianapolis long ago?

Try to come to terms with the FACT that all of this is being generated by a controversy machine. There is no substance. One team won and one team lost. Both teams surely finagled any and every thing they could to create an edge for themselves. All teams always do. The rules were enforced. If the balls were egregiously under inflated, the refs would have noticed. Since they did not, we can but assume that he difference was pretty insignificant. Surely, it was too minute to have altered the outcome. And that is what the rules are meant to accomplish - a fair contest. The rules themselves are but a means to that end - and they seem to have succeeded well enough. The better team obviously won that game.