NFL Football ('14-'15)

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Re: NFL Football ('14-'15)
« Reply #640 on: 24 Jan 2015, 07:35 am »
So why didn't Luck say something during the first half? Did he complain after the game?

Each team has their own balls.  The only time on of the Colts could have ever touched one of the Pat's balls (okay, this is sounding bad! :lol:) would be to pick up a fumble or intercept a pass.  Luck & the Colts have their own footballs.

I can't fathom why there's a rule about football air pressure in the first place.  Why on Earth can't each QB decide how much air they prefer in the ball?  So long as the footballs are all identical regulation balls why not let everyone air 'em as they see fit?  Aaron Rodgers prefers the football to be overinflated.  I realize the NFL is one of the most byzantine bureaucracies on the planet but why a rule to govern that?

rodge827

« Reply #641 on: 24 Jan 2015, 01:21 pm »
Every sport has stringent equipment rules. In golf half of the USGA rule book is dedicated to equipment design. Get a smudge on a baseball and it gets tossed. Tennis balls and racquets are regulated, all hockey pucks and sticks are regulated.

Regulations level the playing field to promote fair play.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #642 on: 24 Jan 2015, 01:44 pm »
 :duh:  never mind.

barrows

• Industry Participant
« Reply #643 on: 24 Jan 2015, 05:04 pm »
Each team has their own balls.  The only time on of the Colts could have ever touched one of the Pat's balls (okay, this is sounding bad! :lol:) would be to pick up a fumble or intercept a pass.  Luck & the Colts have their own footballs.

I can't fathom why there's a rule about football air pressure in the first place.  Why on Earth can't each QB decide how much air they prefer in the ball?  So long as the footballs are all identical regulation balls why not let everyone air 'em as they see fit?  Aaron Rodgers prefers the football to be overinflated.  I realize the NFL is one of the most byzantine bureaucracies on the planet but why a rule to govern that?

Rob: Agreed!  why not keep the regs on football design (size, dimensions, weight etc) but drop the rule on pressure.  Then allow each offense to use the pressure which they prefer in their footballs.  Also, each kicker would have their own balls with their desired pressure.
This approach makes sense, keeps it fair, and will allow each offense to perform at their best.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #644 on: 24 Jan 2015, 05:24 pm »
Rob: Agreed!  why not keep the regs on football design (size, dimensions, weight etc) but drop the rule on pressure.  Then allow each offense to use the pressure which they prefer in their footballs.  Also, each kicker would have their own balls with their desired pressure.
This approach makes sense, keeps it fair, and will allow each offense to perform at their best.

I second that! But I guess it's not anal retentive enough for the NFL...like the color of Lynch's cleats.

soundbitten1

« Reply #645 on: 24 Jan 2015, 08:11 pm »

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #646 on: 24 Jan 2015, 08:56 pm »
Always just assumed the league furnished the balls. Why don't they? That would remove any chance of this controversy erupting again. Then air pressure would be out of the hands of the teams.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #647 on: 24 Jan 2015, 09:09 pm »
Always just assumed the league furnished the balls. Why don't they? That would remove any chance of this controversy erupting again. Then air pressure would be out of the hands of the teams.

QBs like them roughed up to varying degrees.  They come with an oily film on the leather that is almost always removed, some QBs want them steel brush scrubbed, some want them just cleaned, and everywhere in between.  The league allows this.  On the other hand, kicker's balls are supplied by the league and handled only by officials.  Apparently kickers were worse than QBs in tampering with the balls.     

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #648 on: 24 Jan 2015, 09:15 pm »
QBs like them roughed up to varying degrees.  They come with an oily film on the leather that is almost always removed, some QBs want them steel brush scrubbed, some want them just cleaned, and everywhere in between.  The league allows this.  On the other hand, kicker's balls are supplied by the league and handled only by officials.  Apparently kickers were worse than QBs in tampering with the balls.     
So QBs can have the ball customized to suit them in any way except inflation level. Makes perfect sense.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #649 on: 25 Jan 2015, 05:56 am »
This is the longest conversation about balls I've seen since the eighth grade! :lol:

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #650 on: 25 Jan 2015, 02:55 pm »
This is the longest conversation about balls I've seen since the eighth grade! :lol:
Boys will be boys, Rob.

I'm kinda surprised none our censors have complained yet. Maybe they aren't sports fans.

jtsnead

« Reply #651 on: 25 Jan 2015, 04:14 pm »

That's  Great :lol:

In my town

The Mayor of Baltimore was just on Meet The Press discussing issues from Islamists to the "Deflategate" and she said that the Patriots should be banned form the Superbowl and it should be a Ravens vs Seahawks game LOVE IT!

As a Ravens fan I am still stinging from the loss to the cheaters which in our game they did a couple of "sneaky" rule bending plays, even though we did deserve to loose

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #652 on: 25 Jan 2015, 04:50 pm »
That's  Great :lol:

In my town

The Mayor of Baltimore was just on Meet The Press discussing issues from Islamists to the "Deflategate" and she said that the Patriots should be banned form the Superbowl and it should be a Ravens vs Seahawks game LOVE IT!

As a Ravens fan I am still stinging from the loss to the cheaters which in our game they did a couple of "sneaky" rule bending plays, even though we did deserve to loose

My Super Bowl wish was a Ravens/Seahawks matchup. I thought the Ravens physicality would be a nice equalizer against the Seahawks athleticism.

But we all know what the conversation would be if the Ravens were playing this week...Ray Rice all over again...and how the Ravens and Goodell fumbled on how to handle it from the beginning.

jtsnead

« Reply #653 on: 25 Jan 2015, 06:09 pm »
Yes that was a cluster

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #654 on: 25 Jan 2015, 06:21 pm »
Agreed, seems a little disingenuous for Ravens fans to throw stones.  And why would it be Ravens-Seahawks if the Pats were disqualified?  Wouldn't it fall to the Colts?

sts9fan

« Reply #655 on: 25 Jan 2015, 07:24 pm »
My Super Bowl wish was a Ravens/Seahawks matchup. I thought the Ravens physicality would be a nice equalizer against the Seahawks athleticism.

But we all know what the conversation would be if the Ravens were playing this week...Ray Rice all over again...and how the Ravens and Goodell fumbled on how to handle it from the beginning.

Now the Ravens just need to win more games.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #656 on: 25 Jan 2015, 08:07 pm »
Seattle is looking better by the minute. 

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #657 on: 26 Jan 2015, 12:36 am »
Don't know if the Super Bowl allows posters in the stands (probably not), but can you imagine the creative writing we'd see? 

If NE does well, it'll be assumed they are cheating again.  If Seattle cleans NE's clock, it'll be karma.  No way Brady and his gang can come out of this game in a good light.   :duh:

rodge827

« Reply #658 on: 26 Jan 2015, 01:25 pm »