NFL Football ('14-'15)

macrojack

• Restricted
Re: NFL Football ('14-'15)
« Reply #620 on: 23 Jan 2015, 02:00 pm »
The rumour I heard, was that someone from the Raven's had alerted the Colts about the ball pressures...
So perhaps this is just another case of the Patriots looking for any advantage they can get away with, legal or not.

Anyone who has ever engaged in any sport seriously knows for sure that Brady is lying when he claims to not be able to tell when the ball is 2 PSI low in pressure. 

Whatever, it is the Patriots...

So, barrows, what would you recommend? Should all balls be provided by the league ( I always assumed that was the case) or should the balls provided by each team get thrown into a giant tumbler and mixed together before being redistributed to the sidelines? Should the balls be measured for inflation or simply subjected to double blind testing by a committee headed by one of the world's foremost authorities on inflation like maybe Paul Krugman? Troy Aikman and Mark Brunell could give up their bloviating jobs and take charge of the ball inflation tests about which they both seem so passionately concerned.

As for people with past experience in any sport knowing that Brady is lying, you've got a serious inadequacy problem in your rationale. There is no logic there at all.
Are you suggesting that Tiger Woods or Steffi Graf, having extensive professional (therefore meeting your requirement for "serious engagement") time in any sport can tell Brady is lying based on that qualification alone? Do you want us to take your posts seriously going forward or do you want us to just shrug you off with a "Whatever, it is barrows.."?

I think you embarrassed yourself with that entry.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #621 on: 23 Jan 2015, 02:31 pm »
Ya'll join me in watching ESPN"s "First Take" this morning at 9 about the deflated brouhaha and the conference.  It will repeat at 12.

Oh, that's CST.
« Last Edit: 23 Jan 2015, 03:43 pm by jimdgoulding »

charmerci

« Reply #622 on: 23 Jan 2015, 06:12 pm »
Zzzzz. If it was a close game, I'd think it would be an issue.

ESPN is/was devoting most of their SC's on this issue. CNN covers it. (Showed the TB presser and then talked about it, blah, blah, blah.... I was waiting in a public place and caught the coverage without listening to them.) Morning shows cover it, etc, etc, etc. Frankly, I'm sick and tired of so much coverage of this thing. A little coverage is fine but this is just too much!!!  :roll:

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #623 on: 23 Jan 2015, 06:31 pm »
Zzzzz. If it was a close game, I'd think it would be an issue.

ESPN is/was devoting most of their SC's on this issue. CNN covers it. (Showed the TB presser and then talked about it, blah, blah, blah.... I was waiting in a public place and caught the coverage without listening to them.) Morning shows cover it, etc, etc, etc. Frankly, I'm sick and tired of so much coverage of this thing. A little coverage is fine but this is just too much!!!  :roll:
It has been shown by scientific study that a lie can be made to seem true by repeating it often enough. Eventually people come to believe it. I have many examples but policies here prevent me from dotting that i.

The media has become Orwellian. It is ubiquitous and unrelenting. And generally one-sided.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #624 on: 23 Jan 2015, 06:38 pm »
Agree. At the end of the day I think it's futile. Is the Seattle defense all of a sudden going to stop grabbing and holding receivers? No, they do it because it works. They're the most penalized team for a reason.

How many people are going to watch the Super Bowl now just because of this frenzy? After the Ray Rice disaster ratings went up. Crazy.

FireGuy

« Reply #625 on: 23 Jan 2015, 06:56 pm »
The media has become Orwellian. It is ubiquitous and unrelenting. And generally one-sided.

For this reason I've stopped watching ESPN and other networks that are devoting energies to this...  listening to their diatribes is over and done. 

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #626 on: 23 Jan 2015, 07:09 pm »

For this reason I've stopped watching ESPN and other networks that are devoting energies to this...  listening to their diatribes is over and done.

Now we are starting to merge with the thread about cutting the Cable. When I was doing my soul searching about what life would be like after cable, I found myself most concerned about any sports I might want to watch which were only available through cable outlets. Ultimately, I just said screw it; I can always resubscribe. But I haven't and I doubt I will.

Never paid any attention to the frenzy whippers anyway.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #627 on: 23 Jan 2015, 07:38 pm »
Ok, the Pats wouldn't admit anything.  It wasn't a grand jury after all, just a bunch of reporters.  If Brady had stepped up this would be over and done with a fine levied and a rule implemented when the balls are given back to the team- the latter should be done anyway- and that's probably it.   

soundbitten1

« Reply #628 on: 23 Jan 2015, 08:27 pm »

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #629 on: 23 Jan 2015, 09:24 pm »
Tom, nobody here says it had an outcome on the game.  It's about cheating, and the willingness to do so.  Who do they think they are, Division 1 football?

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #630 on: 23 Jan 2015, 09:27 pm »

I don't so much have a problem with unrelenting.  I have a real problem with mixing new and entertainment, and the glorification of "reporters" like Dr. Gupta, and other self-made personalities peddling pablum to the masses without any analysis of the situation.  Those people are not journalists.

finsup

« Reply #631 on: 23 Jan 2015, 09:32 pm »
Just did a double blind test with two footballs inflated to the approximate pressures under discussion.  Yeah, I could tell a difference.  And yeah, Brady is lying.

Whatever anyone else wants to say about this, it seems we have lyin' and cheatin' run amok.  Even if you don't care about the story itself, you should care about that.

And if you don't care about lyin' and cheatin', well, I for one wouldn't want to play any game, be it football, BB, poker, Call of Duty, etc.  with you.

jtsnead

« Reply #632 on: 23 Jan 2015, 09:33 pm »

CSI

« Reply #633 on: 23 Jan 2015, 10:02 pm »
Given that some high profile football insiders with sterling reputations and no axe to grind (Rice, Shula) have weighed in on this to the effect that the Pats most likely were cheating (and not for the first time) I'll take their word for it. To those who come down on the side of, "It made no difference in the outcome so what's the big deal?", I have a proposition for you. How about I come to work for you as a clerk in your retail store. I'm going to steal a bit of cash from the till now and then whenever I think I can get away with it. But no worries. The amounts will be small so it won't have too big an effect on your bottom line. Is this OK with you? Or would you prefer not having a thief working for you?

pslate

« Reply #634 on: 23 Jan 2015, 10:07 pm »
I prefer to listen to Jazz on vinyl than to listen to game audio or talking heads  :thumb: Try it out with football it's kind of like Dark Side of The Moon and The Wizzard of Oz.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #635 on: 24 Jan 2015, 12:07 am »
I did ask a woman at work today who she favored in the Super Bowl.
Here reply was, "Oh, you mean the game between the cheaters and the other team?"

barrows

• Industry Participant
« Reply #636 on: 24 Jan 2015, 12:43 am »
"As for people with past experience in any sport knowing that Brady is lying, you've got a serious inadequacy problem in your rationale. There is no logic there at all."

There is NO PROBLEM with my rational.  Anyone who has ever played any sport seriously knows this.  You develop a very highly tuned sense involving the sports gear you use every day.  Any college QB could tell you immediately if a ball is 2 PSI (and 2 PSI is a big difference, get a football and try it, you'll feel the difference yourself) underinflated just by gripping it.  You really think Tom Brady, one of the best QBs of all time, cannot instantly recognize the difference: sorry, but that POV is just plainly unbelievable.

I do not know how the balls got deflated, and I do not know if Tom Brady had any knowledge of the fact before he took the first snap-but as soon as that ball was in his hands he knew, and then subsequently lied about it in his press conference.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #637 on: 24 Jan 2015, 01:19 am »
+1!    :cuss:

charmerci

« Reply #638 on: 24 Jan 2015, 04:36 am »

There is NO PROBLEM with my rational.  Anyone who has ever played any sport seriously knows this.  You develop a very highly tuned sense involving the sports gear you use every day.  Any college QB could tell you immediately if a ball is 2 PSI (and 2 PSI is a big difference, get a football and try it, you'll feel the difference yourself) underinflated just by gripping it. 

So why didn't Luck say something during the first half? Did he complain after the game?

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #639 on: 24 Jan 2015, 06:57 am »
So why didn't Luck say something during the first half? Did he complain after the game?

If I understand the concept correctly Luck would not have been handling the Pats' balls (:scratch: doesn't sound right does it), he'd have been using theirs (the Colts). Help me 'brick, am I just not right ?