NFL Football ('14-'15)

macrojack

• Restricted
Re: NFL Football ('14-'15)
« Reply #720 on: 2 Feb 2015, 01:53 pm »
The Patriots also stopped Lynch for zero yards on more then one play in the game. Why is no one casting blame on Wilson?  The call is what it is but he executed it poorly. If he throws it away they have time for Lynch.   The Pats winning without establishing a run game is not luck. They do not all the time.

All true. And I would add that Pete Carroll probably realized that the entire country, world and Patriot defense was expecting Lynch to run the ball on second down. Consider also that Seattle has used surprise play calling and trick plays as a strategic part of its offense (and defense) since Carroll took over. So passing on what figured to be, and looked like, a certain run was not out of character and was something Little Bill knew to take into account as a contingency.

I don't think it was a poor decision on the part of coaching but should be considered a mistake by Russell Wilson. If he had failed to get a touchdown out of that play, they would still have two more shots at the end zone because they still had a timeout left.

You have to credit Butler for stepping in and literally taking the catch away from Seattle's receiver. Very brassy, all in all.

Seeing the game play out without egregious game-altering officiating errors was the real miracle.

cab

« Reply #721 on: 2 Feb 2015, 03:01 pm »
Live by luck, die by luck. It's a game of probabilities and eventually mean reversion. The Seahawks had an unbelievable run of luck and got away with low probability plays all through the playoffs. Eventually you lose. Look at the unbelieveable number of plays that broke the Seahawks way against Green Bay and then that last one that got them to the goal line. Turnabout is fair play....They pushed it once too often and the mean reverted....They got farther than they should have.....

TomS

« Reply #722 on: 2 Feb 2015, 03:28 pm »
Butler said Belicek made them prepare for that exact play on the scout team, so he knew they might try to run it at the goal line. It really came down to preparation and execution on the play. Amazing game and finish.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #723 on: 2 Feb 2015, 03:28 pm »
Just heard on ESPN why NBC turned their cameras away from Doug Baldwins supposed " touchdown celebration". According to Mike and Mike after stumbling and catching the touchdown pass Baldwin laid the ball down on the ground and pretended to pull his pants down and act like he was defecating on the football. Way to make your family proud Doug...

This classless and Neanderthal behavior is why America revels in their misfortune.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #724 on: 2 Feb 2015, 03:53 pm »
I'm happy - very happy - to have been wrong. It looked like the Patriots were going to be screwed by yet another fluke reception when Pete Carroll's offense made a stupid decision and got beat by a rookie defender. So glad to see Richard Sherman's big mouth get slammed shut.
I am, too.  Yes, the Brute had been stopped for no gain however many times, but 3 attempts from the one??  Come on . . odds are that HE gets in one of those times.  Carroll's gamble will haunt him for a long time.  What a finish!!  Hail to the Champs.

a.wayne

« Reply #725 on: 2 Feb 2015, 05:05 pm »
The Pats would have acted the same if they had lost in a similar way. It's silly to put your Patriots on a pedestal and assume that they aren't subject to bad behavior too.

The Hawks should've run the option with either Wilson running the ball in or passing to the TE in the corner or the back of the endzone. Alternate this with Lynch up the gut. Lynch was steamrolling the Pats. Use remaining TO's intelligently. It might have been a great time to use the QB sneak which they rarely use. They only had one yard to victory.

Not my Patriots, but i do get the point made on the 3rd grade behavior ....

a.wayne

« Reply #726 on: 2 Feb 2015, 05:06 pm »
There are rumors that NFL games are fixed. A first grader could have made a better play call than that one.

All pro sports are fixed ........ chk Vegas .... :no_see:

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #727 on: 2 Feb 2015, 05:36 pm »
Not my Patriots, but i do get the point made on the 3rd grade behavior ....
Here's one the the Patriots model citizens. :P
http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/id/9424056/aaron-hernandez-new-england-patriots-charged-murder

jimdgoulding

« Reply #728 on: 2 Feb 2015, 05:40 pm »
It was suggested on ESPN's "His and Hers" this morning that Pete Carroll called that play because he wanted Russell Wilson to be the SB MVP.

mick wolfe

« Reply #729 on: 2 Feb 2015, 05:57 pm »
Calling a pass play in that situation wouldn't have been so bad if it was a roll-out/run option for one. But calling a pass play that involved throwing the ball into the heart of a congested goal line defense was beyond stupid.  Great game, but the Patriots lose without that "gift".

jimdgoulding

« Reply #730 on: 2 Feb 2015, 06:01 pm »
Calling a pass play in that situation wouldn't have been so bad if it was a roll-out/run option for one. But calling a pass play that involved throwing the ball into the heart of a congested goal line defense was beyond stupid.  Great game, but the Patriots lose without that "gift".
Absolutely.  Dumb call.  Big blemish on their coach.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #731 on: 2 Feb 2015, 06:10 pm »
12th man down!!!!

ctviggen

« Reply #732 on: 2 Feb 2015, 06:14 pm »

I thought the same thing.  A play with a fake to one of their backs would've been better.  Personally, taking a shot or two or three with their fullback would've even been better.

cab

« Reply #733 on: 2 Feb 2015, 06:15 pm »

Just like the Seahawks would have against Green Bay....

Freo-1

« Reply #734 on: 2 Feb 2015, 07:13 pm »
Herm Edwards was on ESPN this morning, and stated that if the Seahawks had run the option play to the left on the fateful play, the runner would have been one on one with Hightower, and would have likely scored. 

a.wayne

« Reply #735 on: 2 Feb 2015, 07:40 pm »
And if they ran and fumbled ........... Yep, and , and , and ,and  :roll:........... Did  ESPN say congrats to the Patriots yet.....  :rotflmao:

mick wolfe

« Reply #736 on: 2 Feb 2015, 07:47 pm »
Just like the Seahawks would have against Green Bay....

Yep, I'm sure the Packers are still shaking their collective heads in disappointment. A perfect storm of errors on their part and a game they most certainly should have won. As I said before, a perfect example of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

finsup

« Reply #737 on: 2 Feb 2015, 09:40 pm »
In its simplest terms,when you pass, there are three likely outcomes, two of which are bad.

a.wayne

« Reply #738 on: 2 Feb 2015, 09:48 pm »
Lynch was already stopped on the 1 yrd Line, twice before , they went for the  rookie corner back, it failed,  ESPN should get over it ....

:singing:

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #739 on: 2 Feb 2015, 09:54 pm »
ESPN cares about revenue. Sports are the pretense under which they exploit that pursuit. Pay them no mind.