NFL Football ('14-'15)

mick wolfe

Re: NFL Football ('14-'15)
« Reply #480 on: 8 Jan 2015, 06:46 pm »
Thanks for the info. Wasn't aware face guarding was accepted in the NFL. Shouldn't be, but it is what it is. Still not giving up my seat on the conspiracy bus though. Something was totally corrupt about that whole sequence.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #481 on: 8 Jan 2015, 07:13 pm »
After everyone has had a chance to see this from all angles, its seems clear to me that 4 penalties were missed- three of which would have been off setting.  First, Hitchens (linebacker) held Pettigrew (TE) within the first 5 yards, but it's still holding.  Then Pettigrew was guilty of hands to the face as he pushed Hitchens away for the next 8-10 yards, then Hitchens tried to dislodge Pettigrews hand from his facemask resulting in contact which can be called defensive pass interference.  Meanwhile, Leary (G) is holding Suh (T) back at the line of scrimmage.  Then Bryant (WR) runs on the field without a helmet for a personal foul.  The actions during the play are all offsetting penalties.  The personal foul on Bryant should have been enforced for Detroit's first down. 

As to the arm slapping between the LB and the TE, that's the kind of crap that happens on every play, but the league lets go on nearly every pass.  The days of the defender not being able to touch the receiver before the ball arrives has been dead for over a decade. They made noises about cracking down this year after Seattle mugged teams last year, but I've not seen it in action since pre season.

Yeah, Detroit got screwed on a very screwed up call. Would they have won??? Is it a plot by the NFL to get better ratings as the conspiracy crowd thinks????  I just don't buy conspiracy crap.  But it did cross my mind a couple of years back when the Ravens were beating the hell out of the 49'ers in the superbowl.  It was a beatdown, and they were losing viewers when... the power went out.  When it came back on, momentum had shifted and San Fran came roaring back to make an exciting ending.  But a conspiracy with refs? Owners? Stadium technicians?  Hot dog and beer vendors?  Follow the money  :o

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #482 on: 8 Jan 2015, 08:00 pm »
Of course it's more likely screw up than conspiracy.  But the appearance of impropriety comes from a mishandled call at the most critical part of the game, the result being instead of the Lyons going in for a possible game locking score, it turns into the Cowgirls go ahead score.  IF you wanted to fix a game by picking up a flag there could have been no better opportunity, but you'd have had to pay off at least two refs, and just the right two refs, to pull it off.  One would have to be quite prescient, unless you bought off the entire crew.  And why isn't the focus on the Lyons not going for it on fourth and one?  Dallas had had one or two long drives already and the momentum was with them for another, even if the punter hadn't shanked it.  That decision lost the game for the Lyons more than a blown call.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #483 on: 8 Jan 2015, 08:11 pm »
I just don't buy conspiracy crap.  But it did cross my mind a couple of years back when the Ravens were beating the hell out of the 49'ers in the superbowl.  It was a beatdown, and they were losing viewers when... the power went out.  When it came back on, momentum had shifted and San Fran came roaring back to make an exciting ending.  But a conspiracy with refs? Owners? Stadium technicians?  Hot dog and beer vendors?  Follow the money  :o

I think conspiracies are nonsense.  In the age of continuous information sharing (theft?) I think the risks FAR outweigh the gains.  I'm a Ravens fan, and was panicking in that game, but the worst the NFL and networks would do was lose some advertising rates.   If such an event were proven it could destroy the league's money-making machine, as everything would be suspect. And Congress would have a conniption fit.  (kettle, meet pot. etc………)

Don't ascribe to conspiracy what can adequately explained by stupidity.  We all know there's unlimited supply of the latter on this earth.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #484 on: 10 Jan 2015, 10:40 pm »
Watching the Balt./N.E. game with distaste for Al Michaels and fatigue from Collinsworth, when a taunting penalty was called. That was a tripping point. I'm all done with the NFL.
Stern destroyed the NBA way back when. Steroids, etc. have killed baseball. I never took an interest in hockey.

I think I'm all done with pro sports. In fact, I'm about done with mainstream entertainment. YMMV.

stlrman

« Reply #485 on: 10 Jan 2015, 11:19 pm »
Flacco looking like a beast!!? 17 of 22,   3 tds in the first half .should be an exciting 2nd half!

stlrman

« Reply #486 on: 11 Jan 2015, 12:07 am »
What a game!!!!! NE has come back from two 14 point deficits . !!! 28to 28

Mag

« Reply #487 on: 11 Jan 2015, 12:12 am »
Watching the Balt./N.E. game with distaste for Al Michaels and fatigue from Collinsworth, when a taunting penalty was called. That was a tripping point. I'm all done with the NFL.
Stern destroyed the NBA way back when. Steroids, etc. have killed baseball. I never took an interest in hockey.

I think I'm all done with pro sports. In fact, I'm about done with mainstream entertainment. YMMV.

Hold On Macrojack!

There are lots of things wrong in the world, pro sports isn't one of them. Just mute the sound like I do and listen to the stereo.

Commercials are what gets to me. That's when I change channels or surf the net. 8)

stlrman

« Reply #488 on: 11 Jan 2015, 12:45 am »
 this game is fantastic!!! :thumb: :thumb:

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #489 on: 11 Jan 2015, 02:23 am »
Yep!  I'm a Ravens fan and thought it was a great game.  Dammit.   :?

doorman

« Reply #490 on: 11 Jan 2015, 04:58 am »
Seahawks anyone ?!

jonbee

« Reply #491 on: 11 Jan 2015, 06:51 am »
Seahawks anyone ?!
I'm a 'hawks fan, and find them to be a fun team to watch these days. Lots of talent and players with attitude and personality.
That said, I think there is parity at the top this year. At least 3 of the final four have a near even chance to take it all. Whoever executes and avoids mistakes gets it, IMO.
« Last Edit: 11 Jan 2015, 03:57 pm by jonbee »

Rclark

« Reply #492 on: 11 Jan 2015, 08:25 am »
SEAHAWKS!!!

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #493 on: 11 Jan 2015, 02:18 pm »
Insightful comment, thank you for your contribution.  I assume your comment was regarding the excellent game the Seahawks played against an under 500 team.  They did well and I'm glad they won if only to preserve the integrity of the game, such as it is.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #494 on: 11 Jan 2015, 02:56 pm »
15 yard penalty on Rclark for taunting.

stlrman

« Reply #495 on: 11 Jan 2015, 08:54 pm »
Great Cowboys Greenbay game happening !!!!
Sick catch by Dez!!!wow !!! Tune in now!!!
Or was it a catch?? Replay will tell

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #496 on: 11 Jan 2015, 09:16 pm »
Down go the Cowgirls.  Congrats on a great season, they made believers of us all right to the end.  And congrats to Aaron Rogers, what a gutty performance.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #497 on: 11 Jan 2015, 11:18 pm »
Turns out I've been too hard on ole Phil Simms when I criticize him for saying Dinver and Bingals. He's from Kentucky and English is therefore his second language. Sorry, Phil.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #498 on: 11 Jan 2015, 11:40 pm »
Down go the Cowgirls.  Congrats on a great season, they made believers of us all right to the end.  And congrats to Aaron Rogers, what a gutty performance.
As a Dallas fan, I appreciate the congrats.  It was a unexpectedly great season, and they played even up against a good team in Green Bay.  It was definitely one of those games that could have gone either way.  Hope Green Bay goes on an wins out.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #499 on: 12 Jan 2015, 12:06 am »
Insightful comment, thank you for your contribution.  I assume your comment was regarding the excellent game the Seahawks played against an under 500 team.  They did well and I'm glad they won if only to preserve the integrity of the game, such as it is.
Oh, Let, you so bad you are.  I have been a Dallas hater for the past decade or two (too old to remember) for reasons of their owner.  I'm from there, btw.  And Tony Romo wasn't winning any popularity contests with me neither.  Well, until this year.  I so much wanted them to go to Seattle again and kick some more Seahawks tail.  I dunno who is responsible for their recent college drafts and trades but they have built a formidable team and my hat is off to them.  Just give Romo a wee bit more protection and maybe next year Dallas will.  Damn they were good.  One call at the end was the difference and I didn't get it.  The ball never hit the ground.  He had it under control when HE did.  Damn.