Maybe the best $100 system ever?

Poultrygeist

Re: Maybe the best $100 system ever?
« Reply #20 on: 24 Mar 2014, 09:35 pm »
Hey Wind you're looking good. And just like you I'm a little obsessed with the TPA's.

From left to right the TPA3110 power amp, the 6n3 preamp, and the TPA3116 integrated amp. And the blue/black board is on order. :D

Wind Chaser

« Reply #21 on: 24 Mar 2014, 09:42 pm »
What's the difference between the 3110 and 3116?

Poultrygeist

« Reply #22 on: 24 Mar 2014, 09:45 pm »
What's the difference between the 3110 and 3116?

About 20 watts

Doublej

Maybe the best $203 system ever???
« Reply #23 on: 25 Mar 2014, 01:47 am »
While those may be $5 in the local yard sale, the price of modifications of a PS-1 (in a mandatory decent condition) would make it closer to $100. Finding a PS-1 in usable condition at this age is somewhat rare.

So the title should read?, Maybe the best $195 system ever?

But wait there is more, How about some value for those drawer dividers, cigar boxes, and other assorted bits that you had to use. Not everyone has all of those things handy. I'll call that another $8. So now we more than doubled the claimed price!!

Who said this hobby is cheap?

Poultrygeist

Re: Maybe the best $203 system ever???
« Reply #24 on: 25 Mar 2014, 08:57 am »
So the title should read?, Maybe the best $195 system ever?

But wait there is more, How about some value for those drawer dividers, cigar boxes, and other assorted bits that you had to use. Not everyone has all of those things handy. I'll call that another $8. So now we more than doubled the claimed price!!

Who said this hobby is cheap?

The PS1 SCPH 1001 can be found at most flea markets in working condition for $5 and they can sound almost as good as the modded units. I should know as I buy them for ClefChef who mods them for resale. His rule of thumb is to never pay more than $5 for them.

The TPA3116 and 6N3 preamp are plug and play so a case is not required. Many just mount them on a flat board for stability.

The question which usually comes up when you assemble something yourself, "but what how about the cost of your time?" My reply is I don't charge myself for fun.    :wink:

hotmailjbc

« Reply #25 on: 25 Mar 2014, 01:17 pm »
i use a power cord worth 20 times the cost of my sony.....sounds great. hahaha

Doublej

Re: Maybe the best $203 system ever???
« Reply #26 on: 26 Mar 2014, 02:12 am »
The PS1 SCPH 1001 can be found at most flea markets in working condition for $5 and they can sound almost as good as the modded units. I should know as I buy them for ClefChef who mods them for resale. His rule of thumb is to never pay more than $5 for them.

The TPA3116 and 6N3 preamp are plug and play so a case is not required. Many just mount them on a flat board for stability.

The question which usually comes up when you assemble something yourself, "but what how about the cost of your time?" My reply is I don't charge myself for fun.    :wink:

Now wait a minute. You are razzing me for driving around town to get CL stuff while you are scouring flea markets for PS1s.  :scratch:

I agree with you on assembly time. It's free but the co-pay for any trips to the ER as a result of the hobby should be included in cost calculations.

BoJonJovi

« Reply #27 on: 26 Mar 2014, 08:18 pm »
OK Poultry.
You have reawakened the beast in me. I keep trying to snuff this whole audio obsession out and you keep dragging me back.
You had me at cheap. I am cheap. I could go broke saving money so I think I might bite on this one.

Your previous guidance gave me a pretty darn nice system and my Magnepans, Harmon Kardons, Jantzen's and a host of other audio gear are all gathering dust now. Actually, seriously thanks for that. I am, listening to much better audio now.

Anyway, I am going to ask a dumb question. What are using the PS1 for? Please realize I am not a gamer and know absolutely nothing about them. The last game I played was pong. If you know what that is you get a feel for how old I am and you don't have alzheimers.

Also, some links to the TPA 3116 might be nice. When I type that into Amazon several different boards with different configurations come up with the same number. They also say 18-24v. What are you powering this with?

Anyway, I will start slowly gathering this stuff and asking for help here and there.
Also, I need another job to start so that I can leave the last one unfinished.
Drives my wife nuts!

shadowlight

« Reply #28 on: 26 Mar 2014, 08:53 pm »
@Poultrygeist - Thx for the information.  Can you provide the link to the preamp looking to put something together with my kids and get them started on listening to good system.  Hopefully, I can put everything together in a single box.

Thx.

Brad

« Reply #29 on: 26 Mar 2014, 09:16 pm »

Anyway, I am going to ask a dumb question. What are using the PS1 for? Please realize I am not a gamer and know absolutely nothing about them. The last game I played was pong. If you know what that is you get a feel for how old I am and you don't have alzheimers.

It's just a source to play CDs

Poultrygeist

« Reply #30 on: 27 Mar 2014, 01:08 am »
BJJ,

I know I'm a bad influence but I do love cheap ( it's me Scottish blood ). I have the red board TPA3116 which can be found all over ebay. It's sounds so good I have the $20 blue/black TPA3116 on order.

The PS1's are hard to beat as CDP's at their price point. The PS1 5501 in the photo sounds just as good as my Rotel 856. That vintage Rotel with the much sought after TDA 1541 chip usually brings over $100 on ebay.

shadow,

Here's a link to the 6N3 tube preamp. This one's even cheaper than mine. I believe they also sell the TPA3116.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/YJ-6N3-2pcs-6N4-Tube-Preamplifier-board-in-case-new/654061169.html

shadowlight

« Reply #31 on: 27 Mar 2014, 01:01 pm »
shadow,

Here's a link to the 6N3 tube preamp. This one's even cheaper than mine. I believe they also sell the TPA3116.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/YJ-6N3-2pcs-6N4-Tube-Preamplifier-board-in-case-new/654061169.html

Thx

Wind Chaser

« Reply #32 on: 27 Mar 2014, 05:39 pm »
I have the $20 blue/black TPA3116 on order.

You will most likely receive your new board before my new amp with the same board arrives. So I am eagerly awaiting your impressions on how these two boards differ. All I know is every time I listen to the red board I shake my head in disbelief and say to myself... This isn't real, this cannot be happening. If these things had been available 35 years ago, much of the audio dollar death toll could have been avoided.

Poultrygeist

« Reply #33 on: 27 Mar 2014, 07:47 pm »
You will most likely receive your new board before my new amp with the same board arrives. So I am eagerly awaiting your impressions on how these two boards differ. All I know is every time I listen to the red board I shake my head in disbelief and say to myself... This isn't real, this cannot be happening. If these things had been available 35 years ago, much of the audio dollar death toll could have been avoided.

It's probably a good thing that vintage amp fans don't give the 3116 a second look.

Doublej

« Reply #34 on: 27 Mar 2014, 07:57 pm »
I am still not getting this.

I plunk down $15.... a bunch of weeks later a red board arrives from China.

I take the red board and fasten it to a piece of plywood (or put it in a box).
I take an electrical cord and fasten it to the red board.  Do I use solder or are there spring clips on the board?
I find an L/R rca jack with wire leads and fasten it to the red board (solder or spring clips?) so I have an input into the red board.
I connect my speaker wires to the red board (solder or spring clip?)
I plug my source (CD Player for me)  into the RCA jacks.
I plug the electrical cord into the wall.

The amp is now on?
I insert CD and press play.
Music comes out?

Don't I need a power supply of some sort?
Does the red board have an on/off switch?

Poultrygeist

« Reply #35 on: 27 Mar 2014, 08:15 pm »
If you didn't hang on to it when your printer or lap top died you'll need to get one.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003TUMDWG/ref=oh_details_o02_s01_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

A 12v wall wart will work but a brick is better.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #36 on: 27 Mar 2014, 08:44 pm »
I am still not getting this.

I plunk down $15.... a bunch of weeks later a red board arrives from China.

A few, not a bunch. I think mine took about two, maybe three weeks.

I take the red board and fasten it to a piece of plywood (or put it in a box).

Mines not fastened to anything.

I take an electrical cord and fasten it to the red board.  Do I use solder or are there spring clips on the board?

It plugs in. See Poulty's recomendation or order this... http://www.yuan-jing.com/ac-dc-adapter-universal-switching-mode-power-supply-smps-24v-5a
No solder and no spring clips.

I find an L/R rca jack with wire leads and fasten it to the red board (solder or spring clips?) so I have an input into the red board.

No solder, no spring clips. Plug and play for $1.28... http://www.yuan-jing.com/Stereo-RCA-Interconnection-Board

I connect my speaker wires to the red board (solder or spring clip?)

Speaker wire is held down with screws. I run for short wires to a terminal strip that is better at accommodating my speaker cables.

I plug my source (CD Player for me)  into the RCA jacks.
I plug the electrical cord into the wall.

The amp is now on?
I insert CD and press play.
Music comes out?

Pretty easy, eh?

Does the red board have an on/off switch?

Nope.

mcgsxr

« Reply #37 on: 27 Mar 2014, 09:33 pm »
Windchaser - you're pushing mid efficiency Pioneer speakers to satisfying levels with this amp?

By memory, the Pioneers are in the mid 80's?

Wind Chaser

« Reply #38 on: 27 Mar 2014, 09:42 pm »
Yes, I am. To very satisfying levels. And my ears ain't what they use to be.

Even in stock form, the Pioneers aren't too shabby, but they are rated 85 db @ 2.83 V.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #39 on: 27 Mar 2014, 09:45 pm »
By satisfying levels I mean in excess of 100 db peaks. Speakers are 11' apart in a room almost 20'. I'm seated about 9' back in a room 18' deep. Speakers are in the middle of the room and all things considered, the bass is much better (deeper and articulate) than what one would expect from a very small driver.