TPA3116 - $15

6N3 3 tube Guanzo preamp - $45

SCPH5501 - $5

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
Re: Maybe the best $100 system ever?
« Reply #1 on: 22 Mar 2014, 03:31 am »
Bravo, excellent!  And you had some story about the C&C enclosures if I remember correctly, salvaged from...where?

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #2 on: 22 Mar 2014, 04:49 am »
 :bowdown:  I can't touch that.  Nicely done.

Poultrygeist

« Reply #3 on: 22 Mar 2014, 10:29 am »
Bravo, excellent!  And you had some story about the C&C enclosures if I remember correctly, salvaged from...where?

Thanks. The enclosures for the TPA3116 amp and tube preamp are drawer dividers/organizers. The top of the preamp is a computer hutch vent.

Had I not had the drawer dividers I would have used cigar boxes.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #4 on: 23 Mar 2014, 02:57 pm »
Wow!  :o That's impressive! Nicely done.
How do you control the PS without a video display though?
I've played with one a few times, but it required video to operate it via the controller.

Poultrygeist

« Reply #5 on: 23 Mar 2014, 04:46 pm »
Thanks. While I only paid $5 for the PS1 a friend added an internal remote control along with several other mods.

You can use a PS2 remote and small transmitter that plugs into the front slot on any PS1. Those sell for under $10 on ebay. You can't tell the track number without a display but the confirm button on the remote = play and the select button = stop. Next and previous work as indicated.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 23 Mar 2014, 06:50 pm »
Understood. Thanks for the explanation.  :thumb:

Doublej

« Reply #7 on: 23 Mar 2014, 07:12 pm »
Perhaps but there are a ton of choices out there for $100 when you start considering used gear plus DIY

Poultrygeist

« Reply #8 on: 23 Mar 2014, 08:08 pm »
Perhaps but there are a ton of choices out there for $100 when you start considering used gear plus DIY

So tell me what's out there in vintage systems for $100 that's better.

Doublej

« Reply #9 on: 23 Mar 2014, 11:31 pm »
KLH Model Twenty $5
Technics SU7700 integrated $10
Pick your favorite old DVD player to use as a CD player $0-$30 (ask your friend for the one they put in the basement when they updgraded to Blu-Ray I have a Panasonic A(something) I've used as a CD player in the past.

That leaves money for a Linksys WMLS11B Internet Radio $35. which gives one a bazillion choices for content.

Don't like the KLH speakers, use your Dayton Audios, the infamous Pioneers for ~$50 when on special, a pair of used Cerwin Vegas or one of hundreds of other speakers from the 1970s or a pair of used Insignias. These Morse omnidirectionals look very cool. I'll bet they sound awesome just like the ad says!

http://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/ele/4381914202.html

Don't like the Technics integrated? Substitute a used Pioneer, Onkyo, Sansui, etc. etc. etc. Integrated or Receiver from the 1970s.

The choices are endless. They really are endless.

Poultrygeist

« Reply #10 on: 24 Mar 2014, 12:17 pm »
Choices are not choices if you have to depend on finding them on CL hundreds of miles away.

My $100 system is what anyone can buy today.

I have the Pioneers 22's, KLH 24's, Insignia's and prefer the Daytons.

The TPA3116 is not in the same sonic league as a $10 Technics or any ss receiver I've heard and I've heard and owned plenty. I had a Classe CAP-101 integrated which couldn't resolve detail at low levels like the 3116 does. My Marantz Model 1150 is not even in the same conversation.

Paired with the tube preamp it's performance is close to my SET amps. The hype you read on AC regarding the 3116/3110 is well deserved.

charmerci

« Reply #11 on: 24 Mar 2014, 05:15 pm »
Any thrift shop in the US has CD players (Sony, etc.) for $5-10 now. (Not every one, every time though.) They test to see if it works before putting them on the floor. If it doesn't work, just take it right back. They'll give you your money back.

ClefChef

« Reply #12 on: 24 Mar 2014, 07:59 pm »
Thanks. While I only paid $5 for the PS1 a friend added an internal remote control along with several other mods.

You can use a PS2 remote and small transmitter that plugs into the front slot on any PS1. Those sell for under $10 on ebay. You can't tell the track number without a display but the confirm button on the remote = play and the select button = stop. Next and previous work as indicated.

While those may be $5 in the local yard sale, the price of modifications of a PS-1 (in a mandatory decent condition) would make it closer to $100. Finding a PS-1 in usable condition at this age is somewhat rare.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #13 on: 24 Mar 2014, 08:15 pm »
Seems to me there's a couple folks crappin' on a guy who is very happy with the small amount of cash he's spent on a system that makes him happy with the music he's playing.
Can't we just be happy for him. Damn.

As far as I'm concerned, we should congratulate the guy that has spent the least amount of money on his system, yet is so joyous over the fact it has brought him a level of pleasure so high that he's willing to take pictures and start a thread to tell the rest of us about it.

Just my opinion.
Bob

Poultrygeist

« Reply #14 on: 24 Mar 2014, 08:42 pm »
While those may be $5 in the local yard sale, the price of modifications of a PS-1 (in a mandatory decent condition) would make it closer to $100. Finding a PS-1 in usable condition at this age is somewhat rare.

Who would know that better than you?

As you're the friend who did the mods.  :thumb:

I've got a few more I picked up at the flea market if you're interested.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #15 on: 24 Mar 2014, 08:45 pm »
 Better than a soap-opera. I never saw THAT plot twist coming.   :rotflmao:

Wind Chaser

« Reply #16 on: 24 Mar 2014, 09:13 pm »
The hype you read on AC regarding the 3116/3110 is well deserved.

I forgot to thank you for the recommendation. I've had a 3116 red board in operation for the past 4 weeks and I'm astonished at how good and powerful this little thing is.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #17 on: 24 Mar 2014, 09:19 pm »
About to put an order in for the enclosed unit. It has a different board, so that should be interesting...

http://www.yuan-jing.com/tpa3116-class-d-2-0-stereo-power-amplifier-50w-50w

Poultrygeist

« Reply #18 on: 24 Mar 2014, 09:20 pm »
I forgot to thank you for the recommendation. I've had a 3116 red board in operation for the past 4 weeks and I'm astonished at how good and powerful this little thing is.

I've haven't stopped smiling since I fired mine up. In the words of Ed Schilling, "it's just stupid good"

Mudjock

• Sehlin Sound Solutions
« Reply #19 on: 24 Mar 2014, 09:32 pm »
I've haven't stopped smiling since I fired mine up. In the words of Ed Schilling, "it's just stupid good"

+1  I have one up and running on my bench and am very impressed.  Another nice thing about the red TPA3116 board is that it will slide right into the rails of a DTA-100 chassis...

I received two boards last week and they are already spoken for.  I'll need to get more just so I can have one.