Starting a CAPS v3 build

TJHUB

Re: Starting a CAPS v3 build
« Reply #80 on: 22 Dec 2013, 04:42 pm »
Im using the Atom based DN2800 and bought the USB to molex cable from PPA. Ill have to figure out best results with battery to SSD or USB card. Thanks...

To be clear, Paul made you a USB to 4 pin Molex cable?  Do you know what he charged you for it?  I found silver plated power cable similar to what he uses, and I plan to solder my own USB connectors on one end, feed the cable through my PC case, and use one of the press on style SATA power connectors on the other end for use on my SSD. 

randytsuch

« Reply #81 on: 22 Dec 2013, 04:43 pm »
Ted
And the only reason I brought up the input voltage is that on the first page dminches said he has buying the PPA Pico, and since he was asking about it I wanted to clarify that point.

Randy

Nick77

« Reply #82 on: 22 Dec 2013, 04:44 pm »
Yes Paul made me a USB to 4 pin molex cable, I think $14

TJHUB

« Reply #83 on: 22 Dec 2013, 04:48 pm »
I think $14

I thought it would be cheap.  Worth every penny.  I was very tempted to ask him to make me a custom pico loom and one of these USB power cables, but I was going to combine that with an order for a USB cable for my DAC, or maybe even his red slim SATA cable.  Now I don't have the money because I'm testing MIT interconnects (don't ask, I just got them).

dminches

« Reply #84 on: 22 Dec 2013, 04:49 pm »
Ted
And the only reason I brought up the input voltage is that on the first page dminches said he has buying the PPA Pico, and since he was asking about it I wanted to clarify that point.

Randy

Thanks Randy. This requires a lot of attention and reading.

randytsuch

« Reply #85 on: 22 Dec 2013, 05:02 pm »
Thanks Randy. This requires a lot of attention and reading.

Just keep asking questions.
I've built a few PC's, and there are some nuances you have to watch for.

Collected some more pieces.
So I have
256 GB SSD drive
case
S1200KPR motherboard
license for 2012 server (just bought from ebay)

I am looking at the processor, Ram, and power supply now.

For those considering the S1200KPR motherboard, it is obsolete.  There are still new ones out there, but not many sources.

Randy

randytsuch

« Reply #86 on: 22 Dec 2013, 07:05 pm »
Randy. The only reason we have been bandying about the FSP model is because that specific model was tested as a perfect mate with the specific pico we have been referencing.  IOW, the understanding of mating a ps with a pico has been documented, and mentioned a couple times on this thread.

Yes, Paul's pico might be a bit cleaner.  I'm not sure what he's added (filtering,e tc) to the pico-box stock one.

BTW Ted, I think all the posts about power and picos, etc is a good thing.  It's probably one of the more confusing aspects of this, and where people are making tweaks and changes for better sound.

Would also like to thank you for your input here and elsewhere.  Seems there's a lot to learn in building an windows type audio PC and you've contributed a lot to furthering the efforts.

Randy

dminches

« Reply #87 on: 22 Dec 2013, 07:10 pm »
+1

Nick77

« Reply #88 on: 28 Dec 2013, 12:28 am »
Well there is a lot of great info here already. If its alright with Randy i will add a little real life experience. :)
Got some parts in from Logic Supply, bought the wrong pci riser card but think i can make it work for now. This is the DN2800MTE board with M350 case, great fit but really small. Was thinking i would have a little more space.
Here is the card i should have bought.

But i bought the ribbon card and seem to able to make it work while i wait for correct riser card.

Here is case and board with PPA card

Nick77

« Reply #89 on: 28 Dec 2013, 12:31 am »

Pauls PPA USB card.

Nick77

« Reply #90 on: 28 Dec 2013, 12:35 am »
Its been 15 yrs since i built a computer, i think i have this correct but if you can peek at this case power attachment wires??

Nick77

« Reply #91 on: 28 Dec 2013, 12:57 am »
Well color me confused, i dont seem to have the right bracket to mount this HD correctly and still get the cover on. But what do you want for free, thanks brother in law. :)

While i love the cute compac look of the M350 i didnt realize it was soo small.

ebag4

« Reply #92 on: 28 Dec 2013, 03:35 am »
Hi Keith,
Hard to tell from the pics, but will your HDD mount allow you to flip it over?  The cables would be out of the way of the lid at that point although that may place the cables too close to the heat sync.

Best,
Ed

randytsuch

« Reply #93 on: 28 Dec 2013, 04:19 am »
Well there is a lot of great info here already. If its alright with Randy i will add a little real life experience. :)\

Hi Nick
No problem, post away  :D.

Thanks for taking the time to post the pics.
Did you fire her up?

I got my case in the mail just before Christmas, still need to buy some more parts though.
Case is nice, it's pretty heavy, and I can't figure out why it was sold as a scratch and dent unit, looks fine.

Randy

Nick77

« Reply #94 on: 28 Dec 2013, 10:44 am »
Hi Keith,
Hard to tell from the pics, but will your HDD mount allow you to flip it over?  The cables would be out of the way of the lid at that point although that may place the cables too close to the heat sync.

Best,
Ed

Ed the only bracket i have is to mount drive in 3.5 bay. But that will at least get it flipped over, just have to improvise a bit and drill some new mount holes. Not exactly plug and play, i thought i would have a little more real estate in bottom of case. I will enjoy its foot print when finished up though.

Randy i havent fired it up yet, few lagging parts. Might have make a drive to Frys today.  :wink:

dminches

« Reply #95 on: 28 Dec 2013, 01:40 pm »
Nick, you should be able to mount the drive with the connectors facing down and then use 2 right angle sata cords to connect the drive to data and power.

I guess another option would be to get a different drive whose connectors are on the end, like my Kingston SSD.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #96 on: 28 Dec 2013, 09:29 pm »
The connector is self stripping.  When you put the wires in and put on the cap it strips the wire.

If you can find a USB cable with a thick wire it would work very well with this.

Well...I just tried this with a USB that has 22AWG power leads, and I'm getting no power.  I did not strip the red and black, just put them in and pushed down the end cap till it clicked.  The wires are quite secure but maybe they are not pierced?  I tried this with the full 10 ft lead (as a first try) and when I popped the cap off of the "demo" SATA power connector the leads had microscopic piercings, so I assumed it was making contact.  I then cut the USB down to the reasonable 3ft length and used a new connector and cap.  No power.  Hmmmm. 

Oh well, in the meantime I am using my proven cable (which simply uses twisted wires and electrical tape).

dminches

« Reply #97 on: 28 Dec 2013, 11:18 pm »
Ted, that is odd.  I purchased the same USB cables that you linked and made a wire with the connectors I linked to and it worked fine.  I did call frozencpu to ask them what the best way to make the cable and they said I could just use my hands or use a small screwdriver to push the wire down.  I have just used my hands.

Are you sure the black and red are going to the correct connectors on the molex? (Sorry, had to ask.)

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #98 on: 29 Dec 2013, 12:37 am »
I have red going to middle connector (of five) and black ground going to either one to the side, same as my successful cables.

Edit:  redid cable and it worked this time.

krikor

• Initiative comes to those who wait.
    • AudioSnoop.com
« Reply #99 on: 29 Dec 2013, 05:21 pm »
Its been 15 yrs since i built a computer, i think i have this correct but if you can peek at this case power attachment wires??

Looks like you have the correct spots on the header for the power switch and led. Polarity on the switch does not matter but it looks like the LED connector is the wrong way around, red positive wire should be on the outside according to the motherboard manual.