Wha was the last Blu-ray (DVD) movie that you watched on your Home Theater rig?

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Life of Pi with my 9 year old son.

It started out very slowly, but once it got going, it was entertaining.

George

mcgsxr

Batman Begins.  Good TrueHD soundtrack, and good visuals of Tibet etc in the beginning of the film.  A little fussy to have to go into the Blu Ray playback menu and select soundtrack 2 to get TrueHD vs DD5.1, but worth the hassle.

Up tonight, Gran Torino, again a TrueHD soundtrack.

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
......... Gran Torino, again a TrueHD soundtrack.
Great movie  :thumb:

vm84444

:thumb:

Wild Bill

Great flick!
Here's my second fil recommended
100% positive review

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/wild_bill_2011/

PMAT

Mud - one of the best movies I've seen all year.

Me Too! Totally unexpected. The wifey has to watch ALL McConahey films. I tire of his glibness but it was absent in this film. Very little Hollywood horseshit it this. Lots of accurate details. The first gunshot blew the wife and me off the couch. THATS what I love about a great Home theater system.  :D

WireNut

Just watched The killer inside me. The scenes where the cop/murderer beat to death Jessica Alba and Kate Hudson are brutal.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Rio Bravo - John Wayne and a very young and super hot Angie Dickinson.

mcgsxr

I watched Mud - I am not sure what I expected, but this was not it.  I kept waiting for something to happen, but for me it was more about life than a movie that kept me riveted.

I also watched The Seven Psychopaths.  Anything with Christopher Walken in it gets a look from me.  I laughed a lot in one, I guess I am pretty dark!

mcgsxr

Expendibles 2.  Good fun, plenty of LFE as expected, and little in the way of play - as expected!

Grew up watching Van Damme movies, good on him for playing the villian, he works in that role for sure.

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
Indeed. I've watched one and two this week. It's great food for the subwoofer.  :thumb:

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless

The BBC shows the movie was based on. For me a push on which was better, both good sci-fi. aka 'Five Million Years to Earth'

mcgsxr

I'd give it a B or so, the girls liked it.

This one with a good Dolby TrueHD soundtrack is pretty good.  The girls loved it, and demand to see 2 and 3 immediately!  I'd give it a B, but an A for some real beauty shots of Megan...

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
The 4k remastered Lawrence of Arabia on Blu Ray bought a little while back for something like $10 on Amazon. The picture quality is astounding, the sound, a bit more variable.  Incredible amount and quality of extras including making of. The latter really do help you appreciate how incredible this film is.  E.g the dialog / soundtrack sometimes might sound uneven because to bring back the full version they had to get Olivier etc recently to add missing dialogue.

Any - this movie was always a must have for any film buff, but particularly now.

dougme57

This weekend my wife and I watched Olympus has Fallen on blu-ray. Not a great movie but a lot of fun, love watching and hearing stuff blow up!

I watched Moneyball my, wife is not a sports fan. It was great I highly reccomend. Brad Pitt is amazing, comedy like the Mexican or Burn after Reading or just watch Benjamin Button. This movie also has one of my other favorites Phillip Seymour Hoffman. Simply a very good movie.

And early Sunday morning I pulled out my blu-ray copy of Tombstone, never gets old.

And one more with the kids, blu-ray edition of To Kill a Mockingbird. One of the very best ever!

Austin08

...an A for some real beauty shots of Megan...

+1  :icon_lol:

WireNut

Just watched Jonny Lang's 1999 Montreux concert on DVD.

mcgsxr

Even Megan could not save Transformers 2...  That was a bomb in my eyes.  It makes me not want to even invest 2 hours in the 3rd one!

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
GI Joe : Retaliation.  Even w/ all the "action", found myself loosing interest mid-way in.  There were almost two movies in one with a somewhat unclear link.  Probably over analyzing, but do think this kind of boom-boom escapist stuff really needs to be kept closer to the 1.5hr mark.  Even coming close to 2hr's is too much.

Also saw "Wreck it Ralph" mostly because it's mentioned a lot as good HT system demo.  It was fun, with lots of good visual and sound effects, so it served that purpose.  I'm not sure the "moral" of the movie is clear : know your true place maybe?  These "kids" movies tend after all to be "morality plays" - assuming that kids can understand that through all the frantic antics.   

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
I'm not sure the "moral" of the movie is clear : know your true place maybe?  These "kids" movies tend after all to be "morality plays" - assuming that kids can understand that through all the frantic antics.
Some of these kid movies have some morals alright. A few of them are MORE than clear and almost nauseating.  :roll:

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Play Time by Tati.  I've been trying to work my way through the top 100 films named by the AFI and I'm now at 93 seen out of that 100! 

Shoah, Satantango, Histiores du Cinema, Nashville, The Wild Bunch, Greed, and Un Chien Andalou are the only ones left - I'm pretty happy I'm almost at the end!