Wha was the last Blu-ray (DVD) movie that you watched on your Home Theater rig?

Austin08

Entertain but it is nothing compare to Black Hawk down or Saving Private Ryan

mcgsxr

Thanks to a thread over in the Cinema circle, I discovered Oblivion last night.

A cool movie, with pretty good sound, and tremendous visuals.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless

Pretty much a flawless restoration, with some interesting extras. Good sound, not amazing, but the video is outstanding. Great actors in a classic tale.
                   The extras include a 30 yrs later scene created between Rod Taylor & Alan Young in George's lab, where Wells try to get his old friend Philby to take a trip with him knowing that in a few days he'll die in plane crash. The first time the two had seen each other since the making of the film.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
Thanks to a thread over in the Cinema circle, I discovered Oblivion last night.

A cool movie, with pretty good sound, and tremendous visuals.

Saw this last night.  Friend thought it was a bit slow, but I really enjoyed it.  Nice to see a Sci-Fi film with some decent production values.

For those who liked this one, I'd recommend "Moon" w/ Sam Rockwell (?)  Even slower, so requires more patience, but a great movie.

redjr

Searching for Sugarman.  Clearly the most compelling movie I've ever seen.  Run, don't walk to your nearest Redbox and rent this.  At the end of this movie I guarantee you will either be choking up on emotion or speechless.  If you're not, you're dead!  And the most riveting thing is, it's a true story. 

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
Europa Report. VQ and AQ were excellent. Liked the movie very much, far different than any scifi flick.

low.pfile

I'm always far behind in watching current movies....finally watched Life of Pi on my projector last night. It is a very cool story. I'm glad I finally saw it. I don't have a "rig" per se, but a projector onto my living room wall, without screen, but in Bluray with 5.1 audio. ha ha.

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Our family enjoyed "Life of Pi" very much.  :thumb:

JohnR

Life of Pi was fun. Worth another rent now that I'm "Bluray enabled."

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
If memory serves, there's a scene in the movie that's very worthy of a good subwoofer.
I can't recall which scene it was though. Might have been the tiger roar??
Whatever it was, have your sub turned on and ready, as the scene will surprise you.

Bob

low.pfile

NO SPOILERS....

I recall quite a bit of subwoofer action related to the ship. But, I started the movie late (finished not far from midnight) so to spare my duplex neighbors, I had to turn down my sub as well as the overall level.

WC

My son got all the Harry Potter movies on Blu-ray for Christmas. We are slowly working our way through them. Just finished the second one last night "Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets"

Dan Driscoll

ss397

I watched The Wolverine and regretted it. I like Hugh Jackman as an actor, I am puzzled that he would approve this mediocre script.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
I watched The Wolverine and regretted it. I like Hugh Jackman as an actor, I am puzzled that he would approve this mediocre script.

Totally agreed.  Was also the last thing I saw (albeit via iTunes).  Very flat performance not just from Jack, but also from the rest of the cast  - particularly the "damsel in distress" for whom I never understood why everyone was going to such trouble over .  At some point I realized that I was actually bored with it all, far still from the end.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
On a happier note, Elysium was definitely worth it.  Saw it on the road via iTunes streaming, but I think this is one I'm going to have to rent on blu-ray and watch on the home theater system.   

For whatever reason in recent Sci Fi I didn't "stay with me" as much as Oblivion, despite the higher production values.  Perhaps because it felt too much like his earlier previous movie, District 9.  I.e. a variation on a theme vs a totally new creation. 

mcgsxr

I liked Elysium, but agree that it felt too much like District 9 with a twist.  It does have excellent action scenes though.

Oblivion remains a fav for me, there is just something about it.

I am currently catching up on Homeland, though I guess that is not a movie per se.  It was recommended by friends after I finally finished up Breaking Bad.  While I understand the allure of Homeland, it gives up a lot to Breaking Bad in my mind.

mhconley

The Great Gatsby

The picture and sound were amazing and I really liked the movie, too.  Then again I am a fan of Baz Luhrmann.

Martin

nature boy

Just watched Django Unchained last evening.  Not enough blood and violence :D 

NB

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
R.I.P.D. (Rest in Peace Department).  At least one reviewer has said that this has already been done & better : i.e. Men In Black series.  For me it was kind of a B grade pastiche of M.I.B. and Ghostbusters - but not as good as either.  On one or two occasions the CGI even looked like it was from the Ghostbusters era.  Overall a somewhat flat movie.  Not something I'd recommend actively seeking out and watching.  More like one of those movies that they'd show on the plane or while your in a waiting room and you can feel free to ignore or doze off.