Wha was the last Blu-ray (DVD) movie that you watched on your Home Theater rig?

North Star

• "And it stoned me to my soul" - Van Morrison
Jon, you are free to discuss any movie you wish to, or not. ...Being a great escape from a prison, the White House blowing to pieces, etc.

Austin08

Just got a bunch of blu ray discs- 10 disc for $54 - thanks for Best Buy trade in prog. Got to make some popcorn tonight.

North Star

Just got a bunch of blu ray discs- 10 disc for $54 - thanks for Best Buy trade in prog. Got to make some popcorn tonight.

Cool man!  8)  ...There are Blu-ray movie sales going on all the time and everywhere. ...From Amazon.com to Best Buy and passing through Walmart.  :D

- Me too I traded few DVDs in the past ($5 to $10 discount) for some Blu-rays at my local Future Shop and Best Buy stores.
...Like some BDs 3D for example (instead of $35, I paid $25; with tax* included).

* In Canada: 12% GST tax.

Austin08

Yeap, I got Dredd 3D - Not an ideal movie but for $7.00 after $5 trade in coupon - can beat that. Also, I was be able to swap my Master of Commander DVD for a blu ray one for $5. I am a happy camper tonight.

North Star

'Dredd 3D'; I paid $15 (+tax) at Walmart a while back. ...And I just love it on how some scenes are so cool and stylized! :cool:
...Slow-mo and so psychedelically colorful!

'Master and Commander - The Far side of the Planet', on Blu-ray  for only five bucks! ...How can you go wrong with that!
That flick has one of the very best soundtracks ever! ...Those canon shots, and the noise on the lower and upper decks! ...The entire movie is just great!

You sir surely know how to pick some great Blu-ray titles at amazing prices!

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
Amazon is an amazing place to pick up super cheap + great blu rays.  I usually never buy, but feeling I was thin on the "demo material" I got M&C mentioned, The Fifth Element (remastered), Lawrence of Arabia (totally restored), and the new Star Trek all for $10 each w/ free delivery.  The splurged maybe $5 or extra for combo Avatar + Inception. Even if you only watch them once or twice more, it's worth it. And people do want to see / hear all the big whoop about your AV system........

North Star

About two months ago two of my best friends wanted to see 'Avatar 3D' on my plasma display.
...And bonus, they were treated to the full Sound as well.

They were virtually blown away!

Austin08

In the early 90s, I was hooked on HT when DVD was just introduced. I got the first generation Sony DVD player which only capable of decoding DD. Then swapped out for 2nd generation one few months later because of DTS format. Most of my reference DVDs video and sound track in my collection became inferior compares to today standard blu ray version. I am slowly swapping them out. Now I am about half way complete the change over with around 100 blu ray concerts,  200 blu ray movies and about 50 HD tiles on Vudu.

Now back to the topic, I am about watching Haywire right now.

North Star

DVD first came to the scene (North American market) back in 1997. ...I know because I was one of the first "jumpers".

I remember very well, just like it was yesterday; Sony and Toshiba first generation DVD players. ...Toshiba was the first with Component video outputs, so I went with it.

Then DVD movies came....

In 2006, HD DVD (Toshiba) and Blu-ray (Sony) were at it again, but this time to the death! ...I know, I was right there too with my Toshiba HD-A1 HD DVD player.

I love Cinema, I love hi-res and hi-def movies. ...I must have over 4,000 Blu-ray titles. ...DVDs? ...Still over 5,000. ...VHS movies? ...  :green:
{Laser Disc; I didn't bother at the time. ...The majority of my VHS movies were/are widescreen.}

* Tonight? ...Not sure yet, I just might revisit 'Blazing Saddles'; on Blu of course. ...I might, ...not sure at all (I live in the minute, in the moment).

Austin08

I love Cinema, I love hi-res and hi-def movies. ...I must have over 4,000 Blu-ray titles. ...DVDs? ...Still over 5,000. ...VHS movies? ...  :green:
{Laser Disc; I didn't bother at the time. ...The majority of my VHS movies were/are widescreen.}

That is madness..... :duh: Back then, I only purchased DVDs with DTS/es. And now I do almost the same thing with Blu ray discs - only buy Blu ray discs with DTS-HD/master (some with only DD true HD if I am really in love with movies/concerts)

North Star

"This is madness!" - Gerard Butler ...From Zack Snyder's flick '300'. ...By Frank Miller's graphic novel, and Lynn Varley.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
Really like Sodebergh stuff - whether commercial or indie - and haywire walks (or should I say kicks ass) between the two. Terse / lean / smart action flick and having a real MMA (or whatever she is) as the lead gives it even more cred and toughness.

Northstar : Hope you watched Blazing Saddles - god that movie is funny. And even in todays anything goes culture I still think it would be hard to get something like that produced. Just too irreverent, too un-PC.

North Star

Last night ::

--

* In sharp contrast to all the latest baseball news (cheaters)! ...It's a good flick.

milford3

It's not a Blu-ray movie (DVD only) but It's a top ten movie that is a must see!

North Star

It's not a Blu-ray movie (DVD only) but It's a top ten movie that is a must see!

All good; I changed the main thread's title (and first original post) to also include DVD.  :D

North Star

I watched this one last night. ...It's in French, but has English and Spanish subtitles. ...I recommend to the members of this thread.
{The Blu-ray was only five bucks not long ago; an excellent deal, and you can click on the picture cover for more info.}

--

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Season 5 of Breaking Bad, baby!

gene9p

Paul McCartney Rockshow

Austin08

Fun to watch. Lossy DD5.1 is ok.

North Star

--

* Fun to watch too. ...With 'sophisticated' language. ...And gorgeous chicks.  :D