VMPS 626R upgrade anyone?

jackman

« Reply #100 on: 15 Jul 2004, 05:27 pm »
Might be good to set up a demo of the old and revised crossover with some people who are neutral.  Either way, the results of this session will be of interest.  Also, Brian is posting things about the measurements not being accurate.  I'd like to see his measurements along with a descripton of his methodology.  

I wish I lived closer to TX (just this one time only!) so I could hear both speakers.  

J

Xi-Trum

« Reply #101 on: 15 Jul 2004, 07:23 pm »
Quote from: Danny
Hey Julian,

Busy this weekend?

I have to go down to Dallas (to Dodd Audio) for audio related business and fun.

Want to bring a pair of speakers with you for comparisons and meet me there?

It'd be fun.

Hey, I'm going to see Gary this weekend.  I can be a neutral party.   :mrgreen:

I currently own the VMPS RM40 and Larger Sub.  I had owned the RM2 before that.  I had no problem knocking on the fit and finish of the RM2 back then.    :lol:

Julian, if you come up, maybe you can drop by and help me tweak the RM40.  J/K   :D

Sedona Sky Sound

« Reply #102 on: 15 Jul 2004, 09:34 pm »
Sorry, but I already have customer commitments in Austin this weekend and Houston next weekend. Also, the only 626Rs I have right now are the plain-jane base models with the spiral ribbon tweeters. That would make it somewhat an apples to oranges comparison. A better apples to apples comparison would be the new Mark Schiftner cabinets with FST and Auricaps. Next on my budget is getting the RM30s so it might be a while before I have a new pair of 626Rs to demo.

Now the comparison I would be more interested in is the RM/Xs versus Danny's line array.

So Danny, if you are ever in Austin with a pair in the back of your truck, feel free to give me a call  :wink: .  

Julian

Danny Richie

« Reply #103 on: 15 Jul 2004, 09:40 pm »
Now the comparison I would be more interested in is the RM/Xs versus Danny's line array.  So Danny, if you are ever in Austin with a pair in the back of your truck, feel free to give me a call.

I don't think I'll be crusing Austin with a pair any time soon, but if you do make it to the Dallas area there are two pairs there that you can hear.

BradJudy

« Reply #104 on: 15 Jul 2004, 09:56 pm »
Quote from: jackman
Might be good to set up a demo of the old and revised crossover with some people who are neutral.  Either way, the results of this session will be of interest.  

Sounds good to me.  Just mail them both my way and I'll listen to them.  :)  I've never heard any VMPS speakers, so I think I could be pretty objective about the sound.  Of course, I don't have a megabucks setup that everyone would demand for such a comparison.  Oh well.  :)

azryan

« Reply #105 on: 15 Jul 2004, 11:44 pm »
Quote from: Sedona Sky Sound
-A better apples to apples comparison would be the new Mark Schiftner cabinets with FST and Auricaps.-

-Now the comparison I would be more interested in is the RM/Xs versus Danny's line array-

They're called the Alphas.  

For you wanting 'apples to apples' in all the little 626 details to make a fair challenge vs. Danny's redesign it seems funny to add a challenge of a speaker that's half the price of the rmx's with the Alphas having MLS cabients fully wrapped in those amazing veneers which is available in some vmps models but not the gloss black only rmx's.

In my case my Alphas as a kit were a quarter the rmx's price.

I think it's a very fair fight despite this though. One I've heard myself.

They're both the same height.
Rock hard cabients.
Planar/woofer sections.

VERY VERY diff. designs despite seeming more like eachother than most other speakers seem like either one.

F-100

Bad VMPS practice
« Reply #106 on: 23 Jul 2004, 06:43 pm »
Quote from: Brian Cheney
Slurve's abusive post has been deleted.

Any of Danny's apologists who post hostile and insulting comments here will also find their posts deleted.

What do you guys think of this? To me, it resemblance a practice by a communist regime. Hello Mr Communist, please don't censor my post...

Sorry if this is off-topic but my original post was deleted in the other forum so I had to post it here.

ooheadsoo

« Reply #107 on: 23 Jul 2004, 07:01 pm »
I really don't understand when people said that Brian was taking it calmly.  Maybe the lack of exclamation points confused them.  

Well, in any case, if Danny's observations on his page are accurate, I don't think he has anything to be afraid of.

F-100

« Reply #108 on: 23 Jul 2004, 07:17 pm »
As a former owner of VMPS Super Tower, I have to agree with Danny regarding the poor quality and craftsmanship of VMPS speaker. When the Focal tweeters blew out my speaker, I took them apart and also noticed the cheap wiring.  The soldering was a sloppy job. The driver cut out was so bad that you could easily distinguished between a pro and an amateur woodworker.  What Danny had posted on his website is accurate. The truth is Brian can't accept the fact that his speakers are not as what others had touted but resemblance the ones from the "white van". Yes, they sound nice but they are not top rate quality. Thanks goodness, they got MLS came to their rescue and revamp the cabinet for them.