Positive Feedback review on the Modwright -Sony DVP-NS999ES

Jose Garcia

Hi everyone...

Here is the review Dan was awaiting from Robert Levi , Positive Feedback

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue14/modwright999ES.htm

You can tell he was amuzed by the performance of Dan's mod to this unit.

This is great news for Dan and  came at a moment when he need it most. Congratulations Dan and to all of you who already has this unit.

Jose.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #1 on: 1 Jul 2004, 05:55 pm »
Levi,

Isn't this the same unit (not literally of course) that you brought to Phil's?

If it is, while it was nice sounding, it in no way approached the comments made by the reviewer to my ears:

The Sony DVP-NS 999ES CD/DVD/SACD player with Signature Truth modifications by ModWright is state of the art. There is no better-performing or more musical digital playback unit available today.

The ModWright/Sony 999ES presents new challenges to the audiophile. Its utterly uncolored neutrality, and its out-of-this-world signal-to-noise ratio, will challenge any high end interconnect that works well with components that have euphonic colorations. I'm speaking of subtle colorations here, the kind many designers think is musically correct

The Sony 999ES with ModWright Signature Truth Mod achieves super stardom in CD and SACD playback.  It deserves state of the art status. It sets new standards for low noise with use of tubes, for imaging equal to the best in LP playback, and (in the standard setting) for depth of field and ambience cues. Its low-level definition is the best yet achieved in digital playback, and in all other parameters it is unfailingly fantastic.

I am trying to say the unit isn't good, but this reviewer is making some very bold statemets that I just don't think match reality.

George

Levi

Sony 999ES by Modwright
« Reply #2 on: 1 Jul 2004, 05:59 pm »
Thanks for the link Jose.  

So...what do you think?  Are you still getting that Denon mod? :D  

I am sure whatever Dan touches, he can turn it around and bring that unit into another level.

Levi

StevenACNJ

« Reply #3 on: 1 Jul 2004, 06:24 pm »
Congrats to Dan :!:

Levi

Sony 999ES Mod
« Reply #4 on: 1 Jul 2004, 08:29 pm »
Yes and NO.

Yes it is the Sony 999ES with Signature Truth mod by ModWright.

No it does not have the powersupply Hotrod updates and the new tube circuitry.

BTW, my 999ES is currently at ModWright for power supply updates and other Hotrod tweaks.  My unit should be equal if not BETTER sonically than the reviewer's unit when Dan gets done with mine.

I hope I can bring it to your meeting.

Levi

Quote from: zybar
Levi,

Isn't this the same unit (not literally of course) that you brought to Phil's?

If it is, while it was nice sounding, it in no way approached the comments made by the reviewer to my ears:

I am trying to say the unit isn't good, but this reviewer is making some very bold statemets that I just don't think match reality.

George

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #5 on: 1 Jul 2004, 08:44 pm »
That is a friggin great review.  I've been looking for a SACD player....

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 1 Jul 2004, 09:07 pm »
Thanks for the clarification Levi.

It will be interesting to see how much better it gets.

George

PLMONROE

« Reply #7 on: 1 Jul 2004, 09:14 pm »
Reviewer didn't much like the modded unit  - huh?

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 1 Jul 2004, 09:38 pm »
"I" didn't think that highly of the unit.  

Now I know that the version that was reviewed is an improvement over what I heard at the last NYC gathering.

To be honest, unless it changes it completely, it doesn't live up to the very lofty statements made by the reviewer.  I didn't hear anybody at the gathering say it was state of the art or someof the best digital they had heard.  In fact, some people thought some of the other digital setups were better.

Again, I am not saying it isn't a good or even very good unit.  I have issues with the tremendous accolades the reviewer bestowed upon it...

YMMV.

George

Levi

ModWright Sony
« Reply #9 on: 1 Jul 2004, 11:56 pm »
The reviewer went NUTS! :banghead:

Congratulations to Dan for a job well done! :thankyou:

mcrespo71

« Reply #10 on: 2 Jul 2004, 03:45 pm »
That's an impressive review and I'm sure it will spike sales in this Modwright unit.  While I was impressed with Levi's modwright (and I was one of the people at Phil's place who liked it better than the Toshiba mods and APL modded Pioneer), I would never make such lofty claims of state of the art, especially since it doesn't appear that the reviewer shot it out with anything in the review.  This just goes to show that professional reviews and especially web statements/reviews from bozo's like myself regarding products should be used to narrow down what you are going to DEMONSTRATE.  Go listen to it and trust your own ears.  While I think the modwright is a fine player and excellent value, I personally agree with George regarding it's state of the art status.  Obviously, go hear one with your own ears and decide.

Michael

Kevin P

• http://www.diycable.com
« Reply #11 on: 2 Jul 2004, 03:55 pm »
Congrats Dan... well deserved praise I'm sure.    I'm going to have to borrow one of those along with the new preamp.

Jon L

« Reply #12 on: 2 Jul 2004, 07:22 pm »
I'm hoping the review turns out to be "true."  The reviewer does mention that his previous encounter with Modwright 777 was not that impressive, and that 999 version is much better.  

I've heard ModWright 777 absolute truth mod, and it sounded kind of like how you guys described the 999 at Phil's place.  In fact, I have heard the Gryphon Mikado player the reviewer mentions, and I like it plenty already.  But he says the ModWright is better!

If the latest 999 is anywhere close to that good, it might even pursuade me to buy it despite the fact I don't want to start buying SACD's.  

Another quote from the review:

"As now configured, the ModWright/Sony not only tops all other digital reproduction I've heard to date, but all analog reproduction as well "

YOWZA!!

mcrespo71

« Reply #13 on: 2 Jul 2004, 07:50 pm »
"As now configured, the ModWright/Sony not only tops all other digital reproduction I've heard to date, but all analog reproduction as well "

Again, the reviewer doesn't provide much context for this statement.  I know he compared the Modwright Sony to a VPI Scout, which is an UNBELIEAVABLE TT at the price, but even VPI wouldn't say it's "state of the art," they have the TNT line that aspires to these lofty goals.   Anyway, while I liked the Modwright when I heard it,  this reviewer seems to be blowing a bit of hyperbole unless he can clearly delineate that he has compared the Modwright to things like a Linn CD 12, the DCS stack, the Meitner DAC, and all the Clearaudio/VPI's/Rockport reference tables.  Now if HP had made the statement that something was state of the art, I may not agree with it either, but at least I know for damn sure he has had the best gear running through sea cliff for the last 30 years, so he has a pretty good point of reference.

Michael

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #14 on: 2 Jul 2004, 07:55 pm »
Well said Mike.

That has been my point all along.  You can't throw around those phrases without some serious data backing it up.

George

modwright

A clarification...
« Reply #15 on: 3 Jul 2004, 11:42 pm »
The 999ES that was most recently reviewed is actually a bit more advanced than the mods that we have been doing.  The price is also a bit higher too I might add.

The main difference is in the power supply.  I have changed the outboard supply used for the 999ES mod to be the same as that which we have devloped for the SWL 9.0 linestage that we are in the final stages of Beta testing.

The new supply uses discrete FET regulation stages and gives the unit much better performance.  The Revelation Audio umbilical is also a very nice upgrade to the unit.

I have updated details and pricing for the mods on our website, prior to the review, and have also indicated upgrade pricing for those who have earlier 999ES mods.

Thanks,

Dan

mcrespo71

« Reply #16 on: 4 Jul 2004, 12:49 am »
BTW, Dan, despite my misgivings with the reviewers somewhat "loose" methodology in coming to his conclusions on your piece, congratulations on the review and a fine product.  I've heard Levi's Modwright in 3 systems now and it has always sounded musical to me.

All the best,
Michael

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #17 on: 4 Jul 2004, 04:01 am »
Other than our RAM Signature CD25, I have not heard any of Dan's previous work until I received a beta linestage unit. From what I have been told, this is actually an ealier version that I need to send in for the latest update. At this point, I am so impressed with this preamp that I am in no hurry to send it back. I actually use it as a refernce point in my test system to evaluate my tube amp modifications. I only wish I had this when evaluating the new EXtreme Hurricanes. Not a problem as I will be able to do so when finished with the pair I am working on now!!!

I have lately been on a quest for a reference digital front end piece. Although I have the RAM CD25, I am now in search for a unit with SACD capability. I did things backwards as I came across the review first then came to the Circle to see if there was any discussion on it yet.

While I agree the reviewer may have gone to the extremes with his phrasing, I can only imagine how good this unit truly is to inspire such words. I have been considering having Dan do his magic on a Denon 2900 or 5900 for another personal test unit but after reading the review (and further consumer reviews that I am sure are still in the making), I may have to rethink my path.

Hhhmmm....... I hate it when this happens.

Jose Garcia

We should clarify that....
« Reply #18 on: 5 Jul 2004, 01:52 pm »
Mr. Robert Levi, from Positive Feedback, is not the same "Levi" from Audio Circle.... :nono:  so the 999's both use!!!  :?

Jose.

Cyberbod

Power Supply
« Reply #19 on: 5 Jul 2004, 03:06 pm »
Is the 999ES power supply the same as the one used in the 5900?