Positive Feedback review on the Modwright -Sony DVP-NS999ES

modwright

999ES Mods
« Reply #20 on: 6 Jul 2004, 07:36 pm »
To clarify, Jose is correct, Bob Levi is a reviewer for Positive Feedback Online, while Levi is an AudioCircle member, but NOT the same person at all.  They both do have 999ES units with our mods.  The reviewer has the most current modified unit and Levis is being updated.

The 'Hot-Rod' power supply that is used with the 999ES (and 9000ES mods now) IS the same as the PS9.0 (SWL 9.0 linestage supply) AND is also used for the Denon 5900 mods.

Thanks for your support guys, it has been a difficult time lately with the loss of my father and both the review and your thoughts and prayers RE my personal loss have been much appreciated.

It is always wise to evaluate a reviewers comments and try to put them in some context.  I find the best way to evaluate a reviewers comments relative to my own preferences, is to see what else they use in their system and read their other reviews.  Once you have a feeling for what the reviewer likes and have some personal experience with which to contrast it, you can decide for yourself.

I am obviously flattered by Bob Levi's comments and am grateful for the review.

For those that are trying to decide which way to go, the 999ES as reviewed is excellent, as is the Denon 2900 and Denon 5900 with tube mods.  Similar technology is used in all three units.  The main difference being that the 2900 and 5900 are Universal Players, while the 999ES plays everything but DVD-A.  The 2900 has an internal tube supply, while the 999ES and 5900 mods use an external supply.  Sonically they are all excellent.  I don't know if this helps, but it hopefully clears up some confusion RE the differences.

Thanks,

Dan

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #21 on: 6 Jul 2004, 08:09 pm »
Well said Dan.

Hopefully I will get a chance to hear Levi's (not the reviewer) unit once it has been upgraded.

I am also glad you understand that my issue was never that the product wasn't good, it was just that I felt the reviewer used some pretty serious phrases that usually aren't associated with products at this price point (or frankly anywhere near it).

I wish you continued success and I am sorry to hear about the loss of your father.

Regards,

George

modwright

Thank you.
« Reply #22 on: 8 Jul 2004, 08:54 pm »
I took your comments in the spirit that they were intended...not poorly.  It is always good to question anything in terms of a review, as audio IS subjective.

I have been working on Levi's unit I realize now that his unit really was an earlier modified piece and the changes that I am making should make a significant improvement.

The high points of the changes to Levi's unit are as follows:

1) Improved voltage regulation circuit in stock supply.
2) Increased output coupling cap size for improved bottom end performance.
3) Added choke current regulation to high-voltage tube supply.
4) Added discrete FET voltage regulation stage to high-voltage supply.
5) Replaced main electrolytic PS caps with Solen poly caps, in conjunction with FET regulation stage.

These changes should all bring about a signficant change in Levi's unit.  I would very much like to hear what he thinks of it after this and would also welcome others' opinions who here it...especially if they heard it prior to these updates.

Thanks,

Dan

Levi

Glad that you are back
« Reply #23 on: 9 Jul 2004, 02:08 am »
Hi Dan,

It is glad to know you are BACK! :rock:

We are having another NY Audio Rave meeting next Saturday, July 17 at Zybar's in Carmel, NY.  If I could come, I would gladly bring the unit for everyone to hear.

Thanks Dan.

Levi

modwright

999ES
« Reply #24 on: 12 Jul 2004, 06:59 pm »
Hi Levi, your updates are very nearly complete.  As you can imagine, it has been VERY crazy here.

I also ordered (5) new 999ES units and will be offering them fully modified on Audiogon soon.

Take care,

Dan

Levi

999ES
« Reply #25 on: 20 Jul 2004, 05:46 am »
The 999ES will probably sell like pancakes.

Anymore updates Dan?  Thanks!     :D  :drums:

modwright

999ES Mods
« Reply #26 on: 20 Jul 2004, 09:48 pm »
Well, I finished the revisions to your power supply as well as the revision to the unit, including further upgrades to the stock analog supplies.

I have a few more tweaks to make to the main processor board and it will ship by the end of the week.

Thanks for your patience - VERY busy right now.

Dan

Jose Garcia

Address change...
« Reply #27 on: 20 Jul 2004, 11:34 pm »
Dan, I was notified that Levi just changed his address recently. You can send his unit to my ..., sorry his new address in Hatillo, Puerto Rico.

:nono: ... :lol:

In a serious note, man you have worked very hard with this unit and Levi will love it. Great job.

Jose.

Levi

Re: Address change...
« Reply #28 on: 21 Jul 2004, 04:32 am »
Hi Jose,

You mean this one?  AudiogoN ForSale Modwright Sony999ES Follow Link.   :lol:

Levi

Quote from: Jose Garcia
Dan, I was notified that Levi just changed his address recently. You can send his unit to my ..., sorry his new address in Hatillo, Puerto Rico.

:nono: ... :lol:

In a serious note, man you have worked very hard with this unit and Levi will love it. Great job.

Jose.
[/url]

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #29 on: 26 Jul 2004, 09:57 pm »
Levi,

Did you get yours back yet?  Any thoughts?

Dan, is Levi's unit now at Platinum status?  

Thanks,

George

Levi

Modwright Sony 999ES not yet
« Reply #30 on: 27 Jul 2004, 12:55 am »
Not yet.

Levi

ModWright 999ES
« Reply #31 on: 28 Jul 2004, 04:48 am »
I recevied my Sony 999ES today.   :D  :D  :D :)  :)

My listening impressions were terrific bass resolution: tunefull, wholesome and excellent dynamics.  It has deep soundstage and crystal-clear image presentation.  Sonically balanced.  Listening to Ray Brown "Walk on You" and Diana Krall's "all for you" (yeah I know) sounded absolutely lively, smooth and engaging.  Ray's bass sounded articulate and tunefull.  While Diana Krall has excellent soundstage and ambience.  My wife even noticed the change.  My recollection prior to the revisions, I would say that the update were 30%-40% better.  It is a perfect match to my system and listening taste.

Overall, the updated Sony 999ES definitely improved even more sonically.  Needles to say, it enhanced my CD, movie and SACD experience!

Don't take my word for it.  Listen yourself.

Thanks Dan for all your hard work A+++.

Levi

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #32 on: 28 Jul 2004, 12:48 pm »
That's great news Levi.    :beer:

Now I am really looking forward to hearing the player.

See you at David's place.

George

mcrespo71

« Reply #33 on: 28 Jul 2004, 03:42 pm »
That's great news, Levi!  I'm looking forward to hearing the player as well.  Now you can just sit back and enjoy your player, right?  
 8)
Michael

Levi

« Reply #34 on: 28 Jul 2004, 05:29 pm »
Quote from: mcrespo71
That's great news, Levi!  I'm looking forward to hearing the player as well.  Now you can just sit back and enjoy your player, right?  
 8)
Michael

Yes Mike that is correct :D . Levi

Jose Garcia

There is an error....
« Reply #35 on: 28 Jul 2004, 05:33 pm »
WHAT? Dan send the unit to you after I told him your address change :mrgreen: !!!

What the heck... :lol:

Enjoy it and let us know your thoughts after a few days...

Jose.

mcrespo71

« Reply #36 on: 28 Jul 2004, 06:18 pm »
Quote from: Levi
Quote from: mcrespo71
 8)
Michael

Yes Mike that is correct :D . Levi

Good.  Now focus on getting a turntable :wink: .

StevenACNJ

« Reply #37 on: 28 Jul 2004, 06:44 pm »
Levi,

Congrats & good luck with your new player. Dan does nice work!

Looking forward to getting my Pioneer Elite DV-59AVI back from Dan.

Welly Wu

« Reply #38 on: 29 Jul 2004, 03:59 am »
Looking forward to reading your impressions and review of the ModWright LLC Pioneer Elite DV-59AVi.  I'm still thinking about the Universal Truth Mods.  Will the tubes stick out of the unit like the ModWright Music Hall CD-25?

StevenACNJ

« Reply #39 on: 29 Jul 2004, 10:34 am »
Quote from: Welly Wu
Looking forward to reading your impressions and review of the ModWright LLC Pioneer Elite DV-59AVi.  I'm still thinking about the Universal Truth Mods.  Will the tubes stick out of the unit like the ModWright Music Hall CD-25?

I didnt have the Universal Truth tube mods done to my DV-59AVI. I am not sure if Dan even offers that mod for the player.

Levi had a Sony 999ES modded by Dan.