Positive Feedback review on the Modwright -Sony DVP-NS999ES

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Re: Sony Modwright
« Reply #60 on: 23 Aug 2004, 09:29 am »
Quote from: Levi
Thanks Dan.   I love the sound of those tubes! :rock:
Levi,
    As you listen now, what new sounds are you hearing that you did not hear before this latest mod ?? Thanks !! :) [/list:u]

Levi

Modwright sound
« Reply #61 on: 23 Aug 2004, 06:47 pm »
Hi Chris,

I really like the way it sounds :!:   It has improved resolution, clarity and imaging.  It's detailed sounding without being too analytic.  :)  

I would suggest you listen to it personally with a good CD or SACD.  It is almost holographic listening to Wynton Marsalis quartet cd with my Bryston/Classe/SonusFaber/REL setup.

Levi

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #62 on: 23 Aug 2004, 07:32 pm »
So let's stop talking and figure out a date and place!

George

Levi

Modwright Sony
« Reply #63 on: 23 Aug 2004, 09:03 pm »
It's going to be at Phil's place. :)

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #64 on: 23 Aug 2004, 09:14 pm »
Not so sure about that...

Let's move to PM's or e-mail.

George

Levi

Re: Upgrades
« Reply #65 on: 25 Aug 2004, 01:36 pm »
Quote from: modwright
Hi, I'll share with you the options and costs...no secrets here :).

Basic Signature Truth Modifcations = $1150.

Include tube analog stage.
Hot Rod power supply.
Upgrades to stock analog stage, including Black Gates and FRED diodes.
Transport Damping mods.

Platinum Signature Truth Modifications (Levi's unit) = $1750.
Tube Analog Stage.
Hot Rod Power Supply.
Upgrades to stock analog stage...
Transport Damping mods.
AC Bybee filters.
Slipstream Analog Bybee filters.
Revelation Audio Cryo-Sil ...

Please don't get me wrong, I am extremely satisfied with the work that you performed in my unit.  You also offer excellent customer service.  
Are you going to be an implementing LC Audio LClock XO3 option for the Sony in the near future?  I am curious as to how far can we push technology. :idea:

mcrespo71

« Reply #66 on: 25 Aug 2004, 03:53 pm »
Uh, oh.....  More upgraditis, Levi? :lol:  :lol:  :lol:   I wanna hear it before you send it in again!

Michael

StevenACNJ

« Reply #67 on: 25 Aug 2004, 07:12 pm »
Levi

If you go for the LC Audio clock upgrade, have Dan mod the clock power supply with high speed soft recovery diodes and Black Gate caps too.

Levi

« Reply #68 on: 26 Aug 2004, 04:25 am »
Quote from: StevenACNJ
Levi

If you go for the LC Audio clock upgrade, have Dan mod the clock power supply with high speed soft recovery diodes and Black Gate caps too.

Thanks Steven.  I am not sure if it can be implemented.  How does the LC Audio board sounded?

StevenACNJ

« Reply #69 on: 26 Aug 2004, 10:51 am »
Levi,

On the 2nd go round to fix my problem several other mods were implemented by Dan: LC Clock power supply tweak out, installed VH Audio teflon .1uf V-Cap for digital out coupling, Dan also added a special little something to totally clean up the digital signal (if Dan wants to comment I will leave it to him), Furutech rhodium IEC was added with .47uf 600V Auricap across hot & neutral.

So I couldnt really comment on just the clock power supply tweak.

Overall I am very pleased.[/quote]

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #70 on: 9 Sep 2004, 01:27 pm »
Well, after the requisite 200 hours or so of break-in, and the 40-50 hrs of tube stage break-in I finally fired up my 999ES Platinum last night.  Now keep in mind that my references for SACD 2 channel is a Sony SCD-XA777ES and the redbook is that same player (as transport) driving a Scott Nixon Tubedac+, using a nice Stereovox digital ic.  My preamp (2 channel) is the Ray Samuels Emmeline II Stealth tubed preamp, and my amp is an age-old Krell KSA-100, driving a pair of VMPS RM/X's.   Although the multichannel capability of the 999ES was also modded, I haven't connected and broken in that section yet.

The initial listening was done in a very abbreviated two sessions, one Tues night for about 45 minutes, and one last night for about an hour.  Neither were of the length and uninterrupted quality (  :wink: )  that I prefer, but thought I'd get my impressions out there anyway.

First, the redbook.  I used Cassandra Wilson's New Moon Daughter, Cowboy Junkies Trinity Sessions, and Beck's Mutations as sample material, mainly because I'm intimately aware of their sounds, and that they represent three very different recording styles.  The Cassandra Wilson was first up and ruined everything, however.  The incredible amount of air around the instruments, the micro-detail and decay that was evident in plucked strings and various percusiion sounds in the mix, and the depth of the soundstage (which I'm still tweaking with the newer speakers) was absolutely breathtaking.  In a nutshell, both the Wilson and the Cowboy Junkies became SACD material.  Beck's bloated lower midrange, upper bass sound (I love it though) was much more detailed, and the confused soundstage that that lower midrange emphasis produces was much less confusing with the Modwright.   I mean, I loved the Tubedac+ and all the good things it did for my system over the stock 777ES but it's been trampled (and for good reason....a lot more $$).  It's still a great value for the dollar.

I went into the 2 channel SACD session with ridiculous expectations now, and those expectations were initially tempered.  Why?  Well, I've listened to Norah Jones, Peter Gabriel So and Stones Beggars Banquet so far.  Although the Modwright sounded GREAT, I was comparing it to a very good sounding XA777ES.  I had to remind myself of that.  The bass was good, but possibly less boomy, and therefore perceived as less quantity.  The soundtsage was very close on first inspection. But then a funny thing happened....I played a couple cuts from Norah Jones on the 777 and immediately felt like I had taken a step back.  Yes, the ole' "you never know how good something is until it's gone" phenomena.  The detail and imaging were veiled compared to the Modwright.  Not the huge leap that redbook took, but a 30% kind of leap regardless.  The biggest difference: the blackness; the toal silence out of which a musical sound eminates (this is a comment on both redbook and SACD).  And I really haven't given the SACD side enough listening yet, either.

So, I'm very pleased, and look forward to longer sessions this weekend where I might even stop comparing and just enjoy..... :D

ted_b

Cyberbod

Great Review
« Reply #71 on: 9 Sep 2004, 10:47 pm »
I'm happy for you. Dan's  mods are worth the money. I'm still lovin' my Denon 5900 Universal Truth (the works) Mod. I find myself listening mostly to redbook CD's because they sound so good!! May you have many happy hours this weekend.  :drums:

Levi

Sony 999ES
« Reply #72 on: 10 Sep 2004, 02:20 am »
I am glad you liked your Modwright Sony.  Did you notice the signal-to-noise ratio?  How about the imaging, texture and ambience galore?  

It's fantastic!  You have to pay $2k+ to beat it!

I tried several tubes "tube rolling".  I am currently using a 7119 Amperex tube and sometimes use tung-sol 5687, GE 5687 5-stars or Philips WA 5687...  They all sounded different.  

Did you get the Cardas RCA?  It sounds really good :D

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #73 on: 10 Sep 2004, 03:23 am »
Levi,
Thanks, yes the blackness of the lower noise floor is quite a thing to...um....hear....or not hear.   The ambience/air/palpability is great.

No to the Cardas rca question...didn't even know they were an extra option.  I assumed the Platinum was IT.  No big issue, really...it sounds great as is.  Maybe next.......ouch, can't believe I said that.   :D

What do you think of the multichannel sound?  Dan modded the opamps in each of the 6 outputs I guess.  It's replacing the XA777Es which is no multichannel slouch.
ted_b

modwright

Thank you
« Reply #74 on: 10 Sep 2004, 04:11 am »
Thanks for your positive feedback regarding the 999ES.

I have not included the Cardas RCA upgrade in the mods because I am personally just not convinced that connectors really make a difference.  I did install them in Levi's unit at his request, but I am just not sure that it is worth the added cost.

Thanks,

Dan

Levi

Modwright sony
« Reply #75 on: 10 Sep 2004, 01:20 pm »
I believe that the best connection between two points is a direct connection.  Would the RCA add flavor?  I am not sure for a fact.  I do know that I don't like the Sony's original RCA connection and Cardas is a much better quality than the original (see picture above).  It would probably make sense to have them replaced especially if you are planning to use high-quality RCA cables.

The sound on SACD was improved compared to the original.  It has better detail, smoother highs and it is not fatiguing.  It is definitely worth the extra $.  

Thanks Dan for doing such a great job!

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #76 on: 12 Sep 2004, 03:32 am »
Well, I thought I'd add to the mini-review I did on my Modwright Platinum Sony DVP999ES.  Tonight I listened to redbook again, some 2 channel SACD and, now that I've burned in 6 channel SACD for a couple days (Dan thought 36 hrs would be enough) I listened to the two MCH SACD's I know very well:  Peter Gabriel's UP, and Beck's Sea Change, both very aggressive mixes.

The redbook listening just added to the growing suspicion that I now own a truly state-of-the-art redbook player.  I'll put it up against anything, any price.  Anything!  It's ridiculous in its extraction of musical detail.  Yet it remains warm and friendly at the same time.  I'm getting some Argent Room lenses in next week and can't wait to tweak the soundstage to the point where I can reach out and grab each instrument in space, inspect it and then give it back to the performer.  It's breathtaking the kind of air and palpability it recreates.  Redbook CD ain't dead, at least not in my house.

The SACD listening furthered my belief that Dan's mods pushed the 2 channel experience significantly (but not an order of magnitude as the redbook) passed the stock XA777ES, and that the multichannel sound still needs some breaking in.  It was fine, mind you, but not nearly as complete a sound as I got from the XA777ES.  There are areas where it surpasses the 777 already: detail and control are two that easily spring out at you.  But air, warmth...."analogness" is not quite there yet.  I'm going to give the mch opamps some more break-in before I listen critically again.  

I didn't buy the Modwright for multichannel, mind you, but I am quite persistent in my thinking that it should, and will, equal and probably surpass the mch experience of the XA777ES, the best mch deck I've heard.  I bought the Modwright because I wanted a great 2 channel experience.  I got WAYYY more than that.  Robert Levi is not smoking anything (well, maybe he is but it's not relevant to the discussion... 8)  when he pines on and on about how the Modwright 999ES "eclipses all digital playback at any price.....".  

OK, so I'm biased...I mean, I bought the damn thing and need to justify it, right?  No, I can sell this on Audiogon in a NY minute.......but I won't...maybe ever.   That's a first for me.

Ted_B

P.S.  A nit, but it's too bad Sony decided, for this machine, that the cd text capability is only for the first level of text (i.e cd album title, not song title).  The earlier ES models I've owned had more.  Oh well, as I said, a nit.  For critical listening I turn off the fl anyway.